Bought new Onkyo TX-NR6050, hope I won't regret

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
I did copy over my settings as a starting point. When checked with SPL Meter, front, center, and surround speakers' levels were all correct except for the subwoofer.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
I did a reset and it's much better. Previously when bass volume was adjusted to be the same as front speaker volume, using my bookshelf speakers, going from direct to stereo (w/sub) left a lot less bass with stereo mode where Direct mode sounded more bassy. Now with that reset, that's corrected.

Signal generator output for sub is the same 80 decibels but there is much more full bass with music playback now after the reset.

Just the opposite situation, I thought playback bass was accurate and signal generator bass was to loud. Turns out Signal generator bass loudness was correct but actual playback bass output with music was low before the reset.

All is good now with the reset.

We get frequent power outages due to trees hitting wires. Sometimes electric flickers in and out a few times quickly before going out for a few hours. When it does this flickering in and out, it has glitched the Denon AVR-2312ci a few times before where I needed to reset it. So I'm sure that's what happened to the Onkyo.

All is good now and sounding excellent.

Last edited:
M

Mike Up

Audioholic
The Denon AVR-2312ci doesn't have as many extra features over the Onkyo TX-NR6050 as I thought.

It does have listening mode memory to know what mode to auto select for PCM, 2.0 DD, Multichannel DD, and analog 2 channel. The Onkyo doesn't have that from what I can tell.

Also the surround back amps can be re-assigned for an additional 2 channel set of speakers separate from the rest of the audio speaker system, with or without the use of sub. Level and crossover settings just for those additional 2 channel speakers as well. This is a nice feature but you give up the back surround channels. I wanted 7.1 and didn't have a stereo only pair of speakers so never really used this. I can see some die hard audiophiles using this with very expensive speakers and using moderate speakers for the 5.1 HT. Also you can have a "B" front speaker system which follows the main front speakers.

Also this is a customer installer receiver designated by the ci at the end of the model number so it has a ton of features and settings for Zone 2 and Zone 3. Once again, never used that feature at all.

Appears both can have custom video screens but Denon allows it on all inputs not just music only inputs.

The Onkyo has features that the Denon doesn't as it's Speaker Virtualizer (maybe in some of the Denon DSPs though) , headphone level setting, music optimizer, digital filter, and Stereo audio assign to any speaker pair which is a GREAT FEATURE!

Of course the Onkyo has all the latest and greatest audio, video, net, and Bluetooth features and formats!

It's still a plus for the Onkyo.

The Onkyo's on-screen setup menu is so much simpler and easier to use than the Denons complicated and confusing layers of menus.

Not sure how the features are on the new Denon AVR-X2800H and AVR-S970H receivers.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Speaker Virtualizer is for Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS Virtual:X. It creates virtual height speakers for those systems that do not include actual height speakers. I use it in a 5.1 setup.

Without the Speaker Virtualizer ON, Atmos metadata will not be processed in a 5.1 setup and Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital+ will be displayed rather than Atmos/Dolby TrueHD or Atmos/Dolby Digital+. Though, this concerns devices that bitstream. Things work differently for devices that use Dolby MAT to deliver Atmos. Atmos metadata is processed in a 7.1 setup and displayed and the Speaker Virtualizer can be used with a 7.1 speaker configuration as well.

The Onkyo doesn’t have sound mode memory and the last mode used will be used again when returning to a source unless cross upmixing is involved as it isn’t allowed between Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. If going from one of those tracks to the other, the Onkyo will automatically change to a compatible mode.

For those that game with the PS5 or XBOX Series S/X, the Onkyo supports 40Gbps and DSC and there just isn’t a better AVR at its price point for gaming. Those who want DIRAC, more amps and more power and processing will have to step up to the TX-NR7100. Its where I’d stop myself as the RZ50 doesn’t offer anything more that I feel I would need but others may need more.

Last edited:
M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Okay, it appears that the Onkyo does have listening mode memory! On the same source input with my Roku, I was listening 2.0 PCM and it defaulted to Stereo mode. Then I went to another app and played a DD 5.1 and it automatically changed from stereo to Dolby Surround. So another point for the Onkyo!

The Denon AVR-2312ci did have 2 additional features I forgot about that the Onkyo does not. That being a fader and balance for all channels. Also it has video processing as Contrast, hue, brightness, sharpness, etc that the Onkyo doesn't have. Honestly never used either of these features.

I was going through the Denon AVR-S960H manual today and Denon seems to have their setting just as complicated as with the AVR-2312ci. Onkyo is so much simpler!

I was using the Onkyo Stereo channel redirect today switching and comparing between my Polk TSI100 (favorite obviously) and my Infinity Primus P143s and Infinity Entra .5s. I never compared these speakers before and only did enough listening to find them good for surround sound duty.

The Primus P143s sound very good and are a close match to the Polk TSI100s. However the P143s are thinner in the vocal range where the Polks are more realistic sounding and fuller.

The Entra .5s were surprisingly completely different sounding and not in a good way. While they still sound decent, they were a lot boxier sounding with emphasis on the lower midrange with a de-emphasis on the treble that rolled down quickly. My Polk TL1s definitely sound better making me wonder if I shouldn't replace both the Primus P143s (and save as a Stereo pair for another room) and the Entra .5s with my spare polk TL1 pairs. I didn't originally because they have not much bass below 125hz while the Infinity speakers are better, the P143s much better than their 100hz -3db would have you believe.

I'll likely leave it as is as it sounds really good.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
The Speaker Virtualizer is for Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS Virtual:X. It creates virtual height speakers for those systems that do not include actual height speakers. I use it in a 5.1 setup.
I read that in the manual, but wondering how it does when people are seating off of the sweet spot. I wonder if some funky sound would be happening for them while my sweet spot would sound good.

Without the Speaker Virtualizer ON, Atmos metadata will not be processed in a 5.1 setup and Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital+ will be displayed rather than Atmos/Dolby TrueHD or Atmos/Dolby Digital+. Though, this concerns devices that bitstream. Things work differently for devices that use Dolby MAT to deliver AtmosAtmos metadata is processed in a 7.1 setup and displayed and the Speaker Virtualizer can be used with a 7.1 speaker configuration as well.
With my 7.1 setup, with virtualizer off, it still says Atmos/DD+ to Atmos/DD+ 7.1 in the on screen info pop up running it from my Roku watching Aquaman UHD/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos.

The Onkyo doesn’t have sound mode memory and the last mode used will be used again when returning to a source unless cross upmixing is involved as it isn’t allowed between Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. If going from one of those tracks to the other, the Onkyo will automatically change to a compatible mode.
Hum, I found it switched from Stereo on a 2.0 PCM app to Dolby Surround on a DD+ 5.1 soundtrack on Roku, automatically.

For those that game with the PS5 or XBOX Series S/X, the Onkyo supports 40Gbps and DSC and there just isn’t a better AVR at its price point for gaming. Those who want DIRAC, more amps and more power and processing will have to step up to the TX-NR7100. Its where I’d stop myself as the RZ50 doesn’t offer anything more that I feel I would need but others may need more.
I'm not a gamer, never have. I've played with other's system and never found it interesting enough to buy my own systems. I'd rather listen to music or watch a movie or be on a 'forum'.

I believe the RZ50 offers Preamp preouts so it could be used as a processor for a 11.2 system with power amps. Pretty pricey to be used for just it's preamps. I'm sure there's better options out there for not much more money.

Thanks for the comments!

Last edited:
M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Sounds like you getting lots of bang for your buck. Enjoy!
Very impressed so far. Surprised this isn't a more popular choice with similar Pioneer Elite VSX-LX105 costing twice it's price at $900!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Very impressed so far. Surprised this isn't a more popular choice with similar Pioneer Elite VSX-LX105 costing twice it's price at $900!
I think it's relatively easy to get a good avr at a good price....just depends on your own demands for features/connectivity etc. I still use my old Onkyo with Audyssey myself....

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
I think it's relatively easy to get a good avr at a good price....just depends on your own demands for features/connectivity etc. I still use my old Onkyo with Audyssey myself....
Just like my old Denon AVR-2312ci going to the Media Room system now. Now the old Media Room Denon AVR-3803 is in the bedroom where I could hook up a pair of stereo speakers and the TV's digital optical output!

Not sure then, I may just lay in bed all day listening! Not very productive.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just like my old Denon AVR-2312ci going to the Media Room system now. Now the old Media Room Denon AVR-3803 is in the bedroom where I could hook up a pair of stereo speakers and the TV's digital optical output!

Not sure then, I may just lay in bed all day listening! Not very productive.
Yep, my Onkyo is in the bedroom. My Denon 4520 is in the living room, and a 3808 in my workshop. And an even less capable Sony in my hidey hole from heat in the basement bedroom. These days with the smoke outside I just use the various systems as I can (the workshop is a bit too smokey as it is vented to the outside directly and the crap gets in too easily).

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
These days with the smoke outside I just use the various systems as I can (the workshop is a bit too smokey as it is vented to the outside directly and the crap gets in too easily).
Wow, you live near a forest fire area. Even though I love camping and camp fires, sometime the campgrounds are filled with so much smoke it makes breathing difficult.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, you live near a forest fire area. Even though I love camping and camp fires, sometime the campgrounds are filled with so much smoke it makes breathing difficult.
Living in the middle of a big forest is like that :) This year its the Cedar Creek Fire (Kwis Fire last year). That's how I compare it mostly....to when I camped and got the unfortunate dose of extra smoke from campground fires....except this is way way more intense. Even indoors with relatively good sealing, stuff gets in....we have a variety of sensors in play here (purpleair.com) and the indoor levels are higher than what most people ever experience. Outdoors is insane....especially much of the last few weeks. Don't want to go outside unless necessary, and the smoke fills our valley many miles out to the west, somewhat of an escape after a shorter distance to the east.

At least there's a commitment to saving our little city (Oakridge, OR), but the costs are immense in terms of manpower/equipment. Ours (this year) started in a rugged area in a desingated wilderness area some 15 miles east of us on Aug 1. We had to evacuate town in early September with a wind direction change compounded by high wind speeds....a neighboring area on the next drainage to the north got wiped out quickly with little warning with an unexpected wind event and a nearby fire last year so caution was paramount (we went thru all three levels of evac status withing something like 15 hours). Fortunately the wind event didn't persist and a bit of rain actually happened (and not before the fire itself started it's own fire/lightning events above it). We might get some rain this weekend....maybe.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Living in the middle of a big forest is like that :) This year its the Cedar Creek Fire (Kwis Fire last year). That's how I compare it mostly....to when I camped and got the unfortunate dose of extra smoke from campground fires....except this is way way more intense. Even indoors with relatively good sealing, stuff gets in....we have a variety of sensors in play here (purpleair.com) and the indoor levels are higher than what most people ever experience. Outdoors is insane....especially much of the last few weeks. Don't want to go outside unless necessary, and the smoke fills our valley many miles out to the west, somewhat of an escape after a shorter distance to the east.

At least there's a commitment to saving our little city (Oakridge, OR), but the costs are immense in terms of manpower/equipment. Ours (this year) started in a rugged area in a desingated wilderness area some 15 miles east of us on Aug 1. We had to evacuate town in early September with a wind direction change compounded by high wind speeds....a neighboring area on the next drainage to the north got wiped out quickly with little warning with an unexpected wind event and a nearby fire last year so caution was paramount (we went thru all three levels of evac status withing something like 15 hours). Fortunately the wind event didn't persist and a bit of rain actually happened (and not before the fire itself started it's own fire/lightning events above it). We might get some rain this weekend....maybe.
Good luck with all that, I can't imagine living in smoke. Hope things go good for you and your community.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good luck with all that, I can't imagine living in smoke. Hope things go good for you and your community.
Thanks. Hard on my particular community of mountain bikers here and the services they support (usually), let alone our generally otherwise retired folk. Bad enough if you can pick your times during the lately infrequent clearings due wind shifting.

Makes me think it'll be hard for anyone to claim in the future selling electronics having been in a "smoke-free" environment. :)

B

Bald Italian

Enthusiast
I'm new to this forum; seeking out more information on the 6050. I have to say that, coming from separates, I'm a bit shocked and stunned how good this unit sounds. I wasn't quite expecting to be quite this satisfied with it! :)

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I read that in the manual, but wondering how it does when people are seating off of the sweet spot. I wonder if some funky sound would be happening for them while my sweet spot would sound good.

With my 7.1 setup, with virtualizer off, it still says Atmos/DD+ to Atmos/DD+ 7.1 in the on screen info pop up running it from my Roku watching Aquaman UHD/Dolby Vision/Dolby Atmos.

Hum, I found it switched from Stereo on a 2.0 PCM app to Dolby Surround on a DD+ 5.1 soundtrack on Roku, automatically.

I'm not a gamer, never have. I've played with other's system and never found it interesting enough to buy my own systems. I'd rather listen to music or watch a movie or be on a 'forum'.

I believe the RZ50 offers Preamp preouts so it could be used as a processor for a 11.2 system with power amps. Pretty pricey to be used for just it's preamps. I'm sure there's better options out there for not much more money.

Thanks for the comments!
The Speaker Virtualizer does what it can but is not a replacement for real height speakers. It does work outside of the sweet spot as it uses all of the speakers in a given setup to create the effect but the MLP will give the best results. It only works with Dolby Surround and DTS Virtual:X. DTS Virtual:X is only selectable when using Speaker Virtualizer. Without it on, only DTS Neural:X is selectable for DTS upmixing.

I think I did mention that Atmos metadata will come over in a 7.1 setup with or without the Speaker Virtualizer on. But, it needs to be on in setups with less than 7.1 for the metadata to come through.

I misspoke a bit about memory. It does remember the last mode used for inputs. There was once an assignable mode feature with Onkyos. I remember somebody in a thread being upset that Onkyo dropped the feature. If one wants to compare audio output of different modes without cycling through them all using the MOVIE button, they can setup the MOVIE, MUSIC and GAME buttons to certain modes. You can leave the MOVIE button on Dolby Surround, the MUSIC button on Stereo and the GAME button on Direct. Then, change from one mode to the next by tapping the three different buttons. But, more than one tap will change the mode of that particular button. But, some odd switches in mode will occur. If using DTS Neural:X/Virtual:X for a PCM track, switching to an Atmos track forces stereo mode playback as Dolby doesn't allow DTS to process Atmos tracks on the Onkyo. Stereo mode seems to be the default when weird sound mode changes are forced.

I am enjoying gaming on the TX-NR6050. There are a couple of gripes. It does not support 1440p resolution and it is missing from the list of selectable resolutions when using an XBOX Series S. It supports VRR but not AMD Freesync Premium Pro. But, setting my XBOX to 4K @120Hz output and running a game in 4K HDR10 RGB 4:4:4 @120Hz is a thing of beauty and the Onkyo has no problem with it. This is possible because the Onkyo, XBOX and LG C1 support 40Gbps and uncompressed signals such as 4K HDR10 RGB 4:4:4 @120Hz fit within the limit.

If one isn't planning on using external amps, I wouldn't spend the extra money on the RZ50. But, that's just me. I'd like to check out the TX-NR7100. But, at about three times the price of the TX-NR6050, I'm not sure I'd enjoy it three times as much. But, if I keep getting the itch, I might scratch it.

M

Mike Up

Audioholic
Yes it does sound very good. I read it offers more detail than the Denons but everything sounds very similar at all levels. I know when I had my Yamaha RX-V2095 and RX-V2400, those receivers got harsh, bright, and compressed at very loud levels. The Denons sounded as good loud as they did at normal levels. As far as I can hear, so does the Onkyo. Not much a fan of Yamaha as you can tell.

Last edited:
M

Mike Up

Audioholic
T-D (Theater Dimensional) must have the virtualizer on as well according to manual.

One thing I stumbled on that was confusing is that DD+ mode said DD+ 5.1 to DD+ 7.1 in the pop up info window. I would had thought it would had said DD+ 5.1 to DD+ 5.1 as Dolby Audio surround said DD+ 5.1 to Dolby Audio Surround 7.1. So are they both converting to 7.1?? I wouldnt think so but the on screen pop up info says it is.

Maybe info pop up is just saying its a 7.1 system and not saying it's converting? If so, then what tells you that it is converting to 7.1?

Im confused now.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The sound modes applicable to incoming signals and the display of them can get confusing for sure. Yeah, I forgot about T-D mode. I never use it as it is a DSP mode that creates its own virtual surround effects using 3.1 speakers and disables the other channels. It can be applied to Dolby Atmos signals that are bitstreamed and to DTS:X tracks. But, there is just no reason to ever use it if one has more than a 3.1 setup. I only ever use Dolby and DTS for any upmixing and don’t use any of the other DSP modes.

When using the Speaker Virtualizer with Dolby Atmos tracks, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization kicks in and object metadata is steered around as much as it can be using all of the existing speakers in the configuration to try and convince the listener that sounds are coming from above.

While Dolby uses all of the speakers in a 7.1 channel configuration to achieve height virtualization, I did notice activating DTS Virtual:X in a 7.1 configuration will actually disable the surround back speakers and display the output as DTS Virtual:X 5.1. Virtual:X wouldn’t be selectable at all in a 5.1.2 configuration.

Using the Speaker Virtualizer with non Atmos or DTS:X tracks in combination with the Dolby Surround or DTS Virtual:X upmixers means they will just guess about where height info should go with no metadata as a map. Results will vary with different signals.

Disc players such as those from Sony will display signal info differently than the Onkyo TX-NR6050. The player will display Dolby TrueHD 7.1 for Atmos discs and DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 for DTS:X discs while the receiver will display the incoming signal as Atmos/TrueHD or DTS:X without any channel number info. Channel info is never present or displayed by the Onkyo for the incoming signal of Atmos or DTS:X tracks though they are 7.1 channel based. The incoming signal of streaming service Atmos content that is bistreamed will be displayed as Atmos/DD+ but also without channel number information.

Dolby Atmos signals from an Apple TV 4K or XBOX are sent via Dolby MAT(PCM conversion with Atmos metadata) and not via bitstream. They display simply as Dolby Atmos rather than Dolby Atmos/DD+ and the T-D(Theater Dimensional) mode cannot be applied to them and channel number info is absent as well.

Microsoft updated the XBOX Series S and while mine always used Dolby MAT for games with Atmos tracks, it would bitstream Atmos tracks from video service apps and display Dolby Atmos/DD+. But, that is no longer the case after the update and video service apps also now send Atmos signals using Dolby MAT. It doesn’t work quite right and MULTICHANNEL PCM is displayed momentarily until the receiver recognizes the Atmos metadata and changes the display of the incoming signal to Dolby Atmos. What a mess! It’s just another reason to use the XBOX for gaming and nothing else.

As for the outgoing signal info, the Onkyo will always display the actual speaker configuration number, 7.1 in your case, when receiving a Dolby signal regardless of the sound mode chosen EXCEPT when selecting T-D(Theater Dimensional) or DTS Virtual:X as they will display output of 3.1 and 5.1 respectively. Yeah, it’s all very confusing and not for the faint of heart.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis