D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I own a 2014 Jamis Allegro Sport but have to find derailleurs, cassette, and a crankset for it. I might end up looking on craigslist if the cost is too much. Maybe a gearless bike, but loathe the thought of going uphill w/o. In the meantime it's replace the back tire with a Bell brand LOL. I can't believe I did that. Should've stuck with the Continental LOL.

Also a Surly Ice Cream Truck fat bike. I believe its 2015 but can't remember. It has the best shift I've ever owned but can't remember the brand. Pretty smooth. Heaviest thing I've ever owned too. Probably close to 35 lbs. I'd recommend 2X on the fat bikes. Too slow with the 1X.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Glad to help you out but would need some more details on what components in particular, provide me some pics if not specific make/model (like audio)? I have a lot of older components that I've been thinking need a new home rather than gathering dust.....

Going singlespeed is an acquired taste. I have one but rarely use it. All my other bikes are geared in various ways. Schwinn Continentals were tanks! The Surlys are excellent value and are quite versatile, albeit a bit porky. My first mountain bike was in the 45 lb range, tho.....now my newest acquisition, a Santa Cruz Heckler e-bike, is about the same weight but makes the uphills the most fun climbing I've ever had :).

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Same here. Have a ton of spare parts. Take some pics or give us company and model. Like Shimano deore etc.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Jamis Allegro Sport

Derailleurs
Shimano Acera RD-M360 rear, FD-M191 bottom pull front

Cassette
SRAM PG 820 8-Speed 11-32T

Crankset
Shimano FC-M171 triple, 48/38/28, 175mm

BB Set
FSA sealed cartridge, 68X110.5mm

Brakes
Tektro RX-1.0 linear-pull with front power modulator and Shimano brake levers

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
  • Brakes: SRAM Guide RS, 180mm front, 160mm rear rotor
  • Front derailleur: Shimano SLX FD-676D with Problem Solvers direct mount adapter
  • Rear derailleur: Shimano Deore XT RD-M786 SGS
  • Shift levers: Shimano SLX 2×10
  • Cassette: Shimano SLX CS-HG81-10, 10-speed 11–36t
  • Chain: KMC x10RB
  • Crankset: Surly O.D. 36/22t
Hope this helps. Yeah it's the shift on this Surly that has been the smoothest I've owned.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I own a 2014 Jamis Allegro Sport but have to find derailleurs, cassette, and a crankset for it. I might end up looking on craigslist if the cost is too much. Maybe a gearless bike, but loathe the thought of going uphill w/o. In the meantime it's replace the back tire with a Bell brand LOL. I can't believe I did that. Should've stuck with the Continental LOL.

Also a Surly Ice Cream Truck fat bike. I believe its 2015 but can't remember. It has the best shift I've ever owned but can't remember the brand. Pretty smooth. Heaviest thing I've ever owned too. Probably close to 35 lbs. I'd recommend 2X on the fat bikes. Too slow with the 1X.
Did those parts wear out? How much do you ride??????

I haven't ridden a fat tire bike- are some of them heavy, to maintain a low center of gravity?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd be the guy to show up for a grueling trail ride with one of these electric pedal assist bikes...

trek-rail-7-eu-29-2020.jpg

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
SLX level kit is approaching the high end, so it is no surprise that your ICT shifts much better and feels much better all around. It is a few notches above the entry level Acera stuff on the Jamis.

I can at least give you a list of the online vendors that I tend to use. I have ordered from each of these at least a couple times and can say they are all legit:

365cycles
Jenson
ChainReactionCycles
Cambria Bikes
Worldwide Cyclery
Universal Cycles
Nashbar
Competitive Cyclist

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you think the Continental was a tank, have you ridden a Schwinn Varsity?
My dad had the Continental. I splurged with my newspaper delivery money and got the Super Sport....which I rode for many years. It had cro moly tubing! But was still a tank, as were most of the basic non-Waterford type Schwinns at the time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'll go look thru my parts boxes now that I've got some specifics. What happened to the components that need replacing? Do you have the tools/knowledge to install replacements?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm afraid my bikes look nothing at all like your bikes.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Did those parts wear out? How much do you ride??????

I haven't ridden a fat tire bike- are some of them heavy, to maintain a low center of gravity?
They haven't completely worn out. After five years with the Jamis it's time to replace the parts. I can probably get by for another season but would rather start looking now for deals. I ride 4-5 days to work and back. A little over 4 miles each way. The incline on the way back is about 2+ miles LOL. I'd say gradual incline thankfully.

My fat bike is very heavy. Occasionally I have to haul in the basement to do minor repairs in the winter. I'm trying not to do that, but then I'd need a heated garage LOL. I also have an 8lb kryptonite lock which I use to carry in my backpack but than realize I'm old so wrap it around the frame. DOH! I'd guess there's something to low center of gravity. The previous fatty I owned sat too low to the ground for my liking. I don't think the seat could be adjusted all that high. My Surly does though. Hydraulic seat, Bluto fork. It's way overkill for my needs, but I didn't know that at the time. I saw one online and bought it. On Craigslist they go for around $1100 and w/o a car it's almost impossible to nab for me. My previous I bought the day after Xmas so there was a buffer for me to be the first luckily. They said they'd receive so many emails on it.

My previous fatty was stolen at the apt I lived in, so co-workers chipped in a couple hundred and my landlord deferred on a month's rent so I really only paid under a $1000. I initially bought it for close to $1600. Expensive, but the way I see it it will be the last one I own.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The parts need outright replacement? Or just some love/service or parts in some cases?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
The parts need outright replacement? Or just some love/service or parts in some cases?
Replacing. The sprockets on the cassette, crank wheel etc are going. It shifts but not very good.

My bad. The Jamis specifically, but if you have parts for the Surly I'd consider that too.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I'll go look thru my parts boxes now that I've got some specifics. What happened to the components that need replacing? Do you have the tools/knowledge to install replacements?
I have the tools but not really the knowledge. Did adjust my rear derailleur a couple times though. I'll google, and if that doesn't work the bike shop can do it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have the tools but not really the knowledge. Did adjust my rear derailleur a couple times though. I'll google, and if that doesn't work the bike shop can do it.
Even just the Shimano technical documents describing a part or system will include good info on how to do things, torque specs, etc. Haven't looked in a while but some great basic stuff is available at sheldonbrown.com (Sheldon passed a while back so the info tends to be for older tech, but still quite helpful in general terms.

Tools can be specialized, you have what bike tools particularly? Crank/bottom bracket tools? Cassette tools?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis