Best floorstanding speakers for music for RX-S602 under $1000

G

Gep

Enthusiast
I'm looking for floorstanding front speakers for my Yamaha RX-S602 receiver.

I'm mostly concerned about stereo music, quality/detail over power (can't play loud music anyway because of neighbours). I will use them to watch movies as well, but that's secondary.

I have a centre speaker (MA Radius 200) but it was very cheap second hand so I don't want it to dictate my choice of front speakers.

FYI, I'm in the UK (I've noticed some American brands are not available here).

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
Check out Crutchfield for reviews then find a company local or online that has good shipping to you. Sadly though $1K for a pair of floor speakers isn't a large budget and you might be hit or miss on quality. I would get rid of your center completely and find a nice pair of bookshelf speakers especially if you can't play music loud and I would presume in the UK space is limited. SVS Ultra bookshelf's gets some solid reviews and Audioholics has a couple recent articles on best bookshelf speakers you should check out. Good luck.

G

Gep

Enthusiast
Thank you.
I just looked at the Crutchfield website and to be honest I wish I didn't :)
Why is stuff so cheap in the US?
They are selling Monitor Audio Silver 200 for $ 824.99 (new!)
In England they cost $ 1400 (£ 1000)
Shocking!

M

MDK210

Junior Audioholic
Thank you.
Shocking!
Like most things I'm sure it's political oriented. Maybe check out the UK Audiomart which are the classified ads specifically for audio stuff so you could score some good deals.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you.
Shocking!
You have VAT we don't. We have sales tax added after your purchase, but it is much lower than UK VAT.

The good news is the you have a better selection of good speakers than we do.

In your price range they will all have some shortcomings. So it comes down as to how you take your poison. My best advice is to find a good dealer, when you lock down is over and go and listen. In no particular order, listen to Spendor, Castle, Harbeth, Mission, Quad, KEF and Wharfedale. Among the cheaper lines Q acoustic are worth a listen.
I would give a recommendation to Spendor speakers though. I have never heard one of their speakers I did not like.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis