Best bang for Buck, 11 Channel AVR

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Sorry guys - what about this combo? (for 11 total channels)

Marantz SR7013
Monolith by Monoprice 2x200 Watts Per Channel
I would go Denon x3700 (or 4700) and add a monolith if more power was needed/wanted.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I might chicken out and get this though - Denon AVR-X6700H

I am not tech savy to start messing with separates :(

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Recap my setup:

SVS all:
Prime Pinnacle & Ultra Center
Ultra Surrounds
Elevation heights x 4

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think even a 6013 would a fine job. Then maybe you can get a Monolith 3 for your whole front stage l/c/r. I had a 5.2 Ultra setup with the Ultra towers, using a 6011 for the surrounds and my monolith for the front 3. Fantastic performance and can still process 11 channels. It also has MultEQ XT32 for room correction, which has given me some great results.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
I am concerned about older models though being not "future proof" with 8K, etc

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can never really future proof, especially with a standard like 8k that barely exists let alone is in final form....they barely have 4k choices down pat for the most part....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am concerned about older models though being not "future proof" with 8K, etc
I've had my 6011 for a couple of years now and still feel future proofed enough that I'm not even close to considering replacing it. I have 4k, HDR and most of the current sound formats still. 8K can wait afaic.

If you get the 6013 then maybe you could funnel the savings into a Monolith 5 for your 5.0 bed speakers and let the receiver power the remaining 6 effect speakers. It'll run cooler and you'll have plenty of power on tap for those Ultra speakers. That'd be a bangin' system right there!

I don't usually suggest the amp route, but you're powering 11 speakers and the savings get better when you add more channels to the Mono. Plus I had all Ultras. They're awesome speakers. They can handle some power and they'll love you for it. :p

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
You can never really future proof, especially with a standard like 8k that barely exists let alone is in final form....they barely have 4k choices down pat for the most part....
I meant older units compared with buying updated version

Future proof was bad choice of words

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I just wouldn't worry about 8k at this point....altho I'm not a gamer where I understand there is some content.....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

You could also get the Denon 36-3700/Mono 5 amp combo. That's also a great AVR with pretty much everything you'd need, and the 3700 would be most current. Tho you can pick up a 3600 for $899 right now at AC4L. AND... I just now found a SR6014 there for $999! Both of those are more current and opens up your budget for that 5 channel Monolith... that'd be literally your best bang for buck, imo.

I and a few others here have had great experiences with AC4L. My SR6011 arrived packed well, looking and smelling brand new, with all of the paperwork and accssories. I haven't had a single problem with it and I've had it... 4 years now? Maybe closer to 5 even. I think HD had a couple issues with a faulty receiver, but they stood by their return policy and took care of it iirc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I might chicken out and get this though - Denon AVR-X6700H

I am not tech savy to start messing with separates:(
And separates requires little savvy....the external amp is just a connection and calibration, easy peasy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yup. You run some rcas from your receiver's preouts to the amp channels and run the trigger cable so it knows when to turn on and off. Aside from that it's really no different. Just run your speaker cables to the corresponding amp channels instead of the receiver and run the setup routine.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yup. You run some rcas from your receiver's preouts to the amp channels and run the trigger cable so it knows when to turn on and off. Aside from that it's really no different. Just run your speaker cables to the corresponding amp channels instead of the receiver and run the setup routine.
Exactly this.
I use a 6012 and Yamaha pro amp to run 7.3.4(7.1.4 to be technically correct).
Super easy. Sooper ahsumm.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Trigger cable?

I have wires all setup coming out of the walls/ceilings - so do I need to also buy RCA cables? How many?

Do I not hook up the speakers I want to run from the AMP or do all speaker wires go into AVR and then out to AMP?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Trigger cable?

I have wires all setup coming out of the walls/ceilings - so do I need to also buy RCA cables? How many?

Do I not hook up the speakers I want to run from the AMP
Yes, speaker wires would run to the amp instead of the AVR.
Just run your speaker cables to the corresponding amp channels instead of the receiver and run the setup routine.
A trigger cable is a thin cable that tells the amp when to turn on (when you turn your avr on). There should be a "trigger out" on the back of your receiver, and most amps with the capability include the proper cable. Usually 3.5 mm

s-l1000_copy_500x431.jpg

What wires do you have coming out of the walls and ceiling? Speaker wire? If so, then those are what you would connect to the amplifier.

You'll need rca cables long enough to reach between the avr and amp for each channel you're going to externally amplify. That and the trigger cable are the only extra steps to setting up an amplifier. You don't need to spend big on them either. I buy all of my cables from Monoprice and they work great.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Or you can just leave your amp like did for the last 6 years. Lol

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
hey guys how does the Denon 6700H compare with the Marantz SR8012?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis