Replacement/Upgrade for Emotiva XPA-11

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The real and best solution for this is ACTIVE speakers. I know you don't like this concept, but it is the way to solve it and by far the most elegant. It will also improve SQ.
I use two channel amp in my HT room. That is 9 dual channel amps. So, obviously it would take 18 monoblocks.
9 x 2Ch amps is a big mess of a jungle for most people who only WANT ONE AVR.

Active powered speakers don't improve anything. Agree to disagree.

There is a good reason most people own AVRs and passive speakers.

You're not convincing 90% or more of the population from selling all their AVRs and passive speakers to buy powered speakers. It's NOT HAPPENING.

The real and best solution for most people is just use a $1.5K-$2K AVR and buy a new AVR in 10 years.

The key is COST and SIMPLICITY. AVRs and passive speakers are often much less expensive and simpler than speakers with a bunch of amps inside of them.

And what happens when the amps inside the 16 speakers that some people have fail? It's a lot SIMPLER to just replace ONE AVR than mess around with the amps inside 16 speakers.

Last edited:
N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
Hi everyone!

So my Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3, which was powering my 7.2.4 system, has just blown the power source, and I need to send it back for service. As I’m looking at minimum 4 weeks before recovering it (if it’s fixable…) I’m entertaining options to replace it as an upgrade to my system, and looking for advice on what could be à sizes le improvement for my system.

Currently I’m considering 3 options:
- Replacing it with another 11-channel amp
- Replacing it with two amps, one dedicated for the front soundstage, and another for all surrounds/atmos
- Replacing it with a single, bigger amp, probably 16-channel, to either bi-amp the front surrounds and center, or add 4 overhead speakers.

Budget is not necessarily a hurdle, as long as the upgrade is really noticeable. I guess my max would be around the price of the new Marantz Amp10 (8k or so), which I’m considering as an option.

In addition, I’m considering taking advantage of a group offer to go on upgrading my receiver from the Marantz AV8805 (not A) into the new Marantz AV 10. Will this be an upgrade, or not really noticeable?

My usage is 70% Home Theatre, 20% Gaming and 10% music.

System:

Front surrounds: Klipsch RF-7 Mk III
Front center: Klipsch RC-64 Mk III
Surrounds: Klipsch RP-502S
Rears: Klipsch RP-600M
Elevation (Front and Rear): Klipsch RP-500SA
Subwoofers: Dual SVS PB-16 Ultra

Receiver: Marantz 8805
Amp: Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3

Thanks all for your valuable input!
I have a friend that went with a Denon AVR A1H and he couldn't be happier. One box solution from a company that has a proven track record providing accurate power ratings. I had been looking at an AMP 10 and AV 10 combo for my retirement gift (or NAD M17 and M28) but the more my friend raves about the AVR A1H, I may need to think again.

I owned an Emotiva XPA and it was solid for the couple of years I owned it but have been hearing more and more about reliability issues with them. The Trinnov seems to use ATI internals so if you want separates, I'd probably go ATI amps with your 8805. 7 year warranty with ATI who provide a TON of OEM stuff to various companies. Or go Monoprice amps for nearly the same reliability and warranty (5 vs 7.) Gene has confirmed through his testing, those Monoprice branded ATIs are a great bargain. Happy shopping!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
9 x 2Ch amps is still big mess for most people who only WANT ONE AVR.

Active powered speakers don't improve anything. Agree to disagree like a 100 times already. Just stop it. It's like a broken record.

There is a good reason most people own AVRs and passive speakers.

You're not convincing 90% or more of the population from selling all their AVRs and passive speakers to buy powered speakers. Quit the delusion already. It's NOT HAPPENING.

The real and best solution for most people is just use a $1.5K-$2K AVR and buy a new AVR in 10 years.

The key is COST and SIMPLICITY. AVRs and passive speakers are often much less expensive and simpler than speakers with a bunch of amps inside of them.

And what happens when the amps inside the 16 speakers that some people have fail? It's a lot SIMPLER to just replace ONE AVR than mess around with the amps inside 16 speakers.

That's all I'm going to say about that on this thread since I don't really feel like going around and around and around on this topic again and again and again.
I'm not in the habit of buying equipment with a 10 year life span. I aim for a lot longer than that.

Active crossovers can now be bought for around 65 dollars. This three way LR gives you lots of options including active fully adjustable BSC. The latter I have found a massive advantage. BSC is one of the most serious power wasters in passive crossover. Good amps to drive tweeter can now be had for around $10. Powerful woofer amps for less then $100.

We can get rid of all this room connection nonsense. Active speakers will soon be available at prices that can compete with passive ones, and be much better. Since these are already card plug in designs, the owner would likely require no more than a screwdriver to repair his speaker if an amp or crossover failed.

The AVP needs to be reduced to a small neat unit with just switching sources, bass management and a volume control That will help with WAF.
These amps and crossovers are already available from major sources. You will be the wrong side if history promoting AVR and passive speakers.

These new technologies will allow for cheaper, more reliable and more easily serviced systems, to say nothing of reduced cost and markedly improved performance. We are in the threshold of a marked increase in performance per dollar, to say nothing of much higher WAF.

I should also have you note that the acceptance of sound bars is through the roof. The reason is form factor and simplicity of operation. I would point out that sound bars ARE ACTIVE speakers. That very same technology and simplicity of set up and operation can easily transmute to very high quality HT systems. This way you will only be paying for amps you will actually use. This will allow for a better HT experience in the home for the many and not just the few catered to now.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis