Behringer A500 Amplifier: Objective Test Results

P

Pyro

Enthusiast
So will these Amps work with 4ohm speakers, and if so, would it or they need to be bridged?

Thanks

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
So will these Amps work with 4ohm speakers, and if so, would it or they need to be bridged?
Pyro,
The way I understand it is that you can't bridge these for 4 ohm speakers, only 8 ohm. When you bridge the amp, it sees only 1/2 of the original ohm rating, so if your speaker were 4 ohm and you bridged the amp, your amp would now be seeing a 2 ohm load.

I know Craigsub mentioned the Crown XLS 402, but nobody really gave it much thought. These are the models in the series. Specs are the same except for power, listed below.

Power Output (1 kHz*)
Stereo Bridge-Mono
......................8 Ohm. 4 Ohm .8 Ohm Bridged Mono
XLS 802d......... 500W 800W 1600W
XLS 602d ..........380W 600W 1200W
XLS 402d......... 300W 450W 900W
XLS 202d......... 200W 300W 600W
http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xlsspec.htm
It looks like the 202 can be had for around $200, the 402 for $300. Has anyone tried these amps, or reviewed them like the A500? I know crown is supposed to be a good brand, but all companies have a low-end market. Thoughts?

Roly

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

The Crown amps only have XLR inputs. You have to use an adapter box between the amp and the source.

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
Even if I have XLR on my PRE I have to use an adaptor box? If you have only RCA, why couldn't you use a RCA to XLR cable? Also, what kind of adaptor box are we talking about, and is it per amp, per channel, or what?
roly

P

Pyro

Enthusiast
Thanks guys!

I wasn't really wondering if you could bridge them, I was just wondering if they could be used with a 4ohm speaker at all. My speakers are not 4ohm by the way, and I myself would bridge them more then likely, for my speakers are 8ohms except my center channel, which is 6ohm.

I was asking the question I asked, cause I'm doing research for a friend of mine who does have 4ohm speakers. I was just curious if this amp would work with a 4ohm speaker, if he didn't bridge it.

P

Pyro

Enthusiast
I guess I should clear that up a little, as I don't want to confuse anyone. I do have 4ohm speakers as well, but for myself, these amps would be used with 8ohm speakers, except my center channel which is 6ohms. The 4ohm speakers are part of my second system that is not in question.

Now a friend of mine does have 4ohm speakers that he was thinking about getting these amps for, and that led me to asking whether or not they could be used with 4ohm speakers in any way.

Sorry, I didn't mean for things to get so confusing. lol

majorloser

majorloser

rolyasm said:
Even if I have XLR on my PRE I have to use an adaptor box? If you have only RCA, why couldn't you use a RCA to XLR cable? Also, what kind of adaptor box are we talking about, and is it per amp, per channel, or what?
roly
You wouldn't have a problem going from XLR to XLR. When you go from balanced (XLR) to un-balanced (RCA) you can induce a hum. There's been discussions over at AVS about using this device to remove the hum:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=ARSC&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=288115
Some of the musicians on this site might know more.

PYRO: As far as running the Behringer A500 bridged with 8 ohm speakers, you'd be OK. Unbridged as a stereo amp it is rated into 4 ohms and would be safe.

P

Pyro

Enthusiast
Thanks Major!

I have a problem with addressing anybody a loser, so I had to break down your name there to just Major. lol :)

I PMed Jeff this question, but he hasn't got back to me just yet, so I'll throw it out here. I know I'm good with my 8ohm speakers, but what about my center channel, it's 6ohms? Will I still be ok, or will that need to connected differently?

Gawd, I feel like such a noob. You'd think I never ran amps before. :rolleyes:

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
If I had 6 ohm speakers I would try them bridged and see how hot they ran. Like a stated before, even after hours of playing music they were only warm to the touch. My Paradigm speakers say that they are 8 ohm compatible but do not state the actual impedance. A lot of times that means they are really 6 ohms.

majorloser

majorloser

Pyro said:
Thanks Major!

I have a problem with addressing anybody a loser, so I had to break down your name there to just Major. lol :)

I PMed Jeff this question, but he hasn't got back to me just yet, so I'll throw it out here. I know I'm good with my 8ohm speakers, but what about my center channel, it's 6ohms? Will I still be ok, or will that need to connected differently?

Gawd, I feel like such a noob. You'd think I never ran amps before. :rolleyes:
It all depend if you want to run individual A500's for each channel. They are stereo amps that are capable of bridging. Your R&L fronts will be OK with individual bridged amps (500W @ 8 ohms). I wouldn't run the center with a bridged A500 since it can't handle less than 8 ohms.

It's still a pretty beefy amp in stereo, 160W BCD @ 8 ohms and 230 BCD @ 4 ohms. You could run your center with one channel of the stereo amp and use the other channel for something else....a sub, another zone, two centers.

BTW: I've been called a major loser for many years. It's an inside joke with friends. Some day they may promote me to Lt. Col.

majorloser

majorloser

The Big Stack O' Pancakes

My "stack o' pancakes" is on order! (Rjbudz's description ;) )

I ordered seven Behringer A500's today from Americanmusical.com
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BEH-A500.html

Just like Jeff said, $179 ea. with free shipping, one year extended warranty and even 0% financing for 5 payments :cool:

Now that I'm waiting it's time to re-wire the rack, add a couple of UPS's and run new subwoofer cables. Maybe even work on an additional AC vent for the closet (all the extra heat?).

EDIT: might just add a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to the mix..........more toys.

B

billnchristy

Senior Audioholic
To convert from balanced to unbalanced you can get an adaptor from radio shack that has a little transformer in it...it think they are 15 bucks a pop.

Its the impedence diff. that makes a big deal.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
majorloser said:
My "stack o' pancakes" is on order! (Rjbudz's description ;) )

I ordered seven Behringer A500's today from Americanmusical.com
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-BEH-A500.html
Just like Jeff said, $179 ea. with free shipping, one year extended warranty and even 0% financing for 5 payments :cool:
Would you guys please stop! I know there is no benefit in adding more power to most systems, mine included. But you never know, and at that price..... and there is certainly great cool factor, and what harm could there be.. a little extra power never hurts....

I've got to stop reading this thread.

Nick

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yeah ... I know I don't need anymore power, but everytime I read this thread, I'm counting how many a500s I need and how to stack them. after a few mins. of thinking, I manage to ask myself why I need more amplification ... then the cycle starts again.

P

Pyro

Enthusiast
dcj98gst said:
Has anybody tried the Blue Ice amp. Has rca inputs and a quiet fan.

http://www.123dj.com/amps/technicalhifi/x5000.html

600 WATTS AT 4 OHMS
350 WATTS ST 8 OHMS

$350 not a bad deal. Some guys at the AVSforum site swear by them.
There's a huge thread on AVS regarding power amps, where the Blue Ice amps where discussed. One guy who bought one did an A/B comparision between the Blue Ice and the Halo A51 amp, that he also had. He found the Blue Ice to be just as good and ended up selling his Halo, for what it's worth.

majorloser

majorloser

mike c said:
yeah ... I know I don't need anymore power, but everytime I read this thread, I'm counting how many a500s I need and how to stack them. after a few mins. of thinking, I manage to ask myself why I need more amplification ... then the cycle starts again.
"More power! Arrh! Arrh! Arrh!" - Tim "The Toolman" Taylor :eek:

B

beppe61

Junior Audioholic
Dear Sirs,

I bought a A500 one month ago and used it discontinuously.
I am using it full-range.
I find the amp hard in the bass and harsh in the mids (with voices this effect is quite evident and quite unpleasant).:(
I wonder if the break-in will smooth the harshness/hardness away.:eek:
I would like to hear opinion from people with a lot of hours of use with the amp.:rolleyes:

Thank you very much indeed.:)
Kind regards,

beppe
Italy

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Nick250 said:
Would you guys please stop!
I've got to stop reading this thread.
Nick

Why is that? Are you getting weak in the knees?:D
That is a reason to have amps stacked to the ceiling, didn't you know that?:rolleyes:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis