Behringer A500 Amplifier: Objective Test Results

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
vlad335 said:
Like I said, huge difference. Just can't say enough for huge power reserves. When I would listen to Cd's in stereo mode before, things would get a little jumbled at louder levels. Not actually distorted I don't think, just a loss of detail and focus. Keep in mind my receiver is no slouch, Yamaha RX-V3200, but it can't compete with this beef.

What impresses me most is this amp is beat to hell. The RCA inputs are rusty and the thing is clogged with dust. I couldn't find any RCA stereo cables so I went to Walmart and bought a 4.00 pair just to try this. I'm sure this could only get better with better amps and cabling. :)

The speakers are actually Acoustech. 96db horns similar to the Klipsch. I read somewhere that they are produced in the same factory in China as the Klipsch reference series.

As far as level matching, my towers in 5.1 are somewhat louder with this amp. I turned the gains to about 2:00 when watching War of the Worlds last night.

I am now thinking of 4 Behringer A500's, 3 in mono for the fronts and 1 stereo for the rear surrounds. Actually, more that just thinking, I am obsessing over this now. :p
Welcome to the world of Power Amps :) . I recommend you try different amps before you settle with what you want .

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
AdrianMills said:
Those are Klipsch right? I'm surprised you'd notice such a difference on sensitive speakers like that.

How about level matching? :D

No reason for the differences if operated in design limits, none. Perception is one of those biasing events:D Who knows what happened without a proper level matched bias controlled comparison:rolleyes:

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
No reason for the differences if operated in design limits, none. Perception is one of those biasing events:D Who knows what happened without a proper level matched bias controlled comparison:rolleyes:
Yes, I agree, but the more insensitive the speakers are or the more difficult a load they are the more likely it is someone will notice a difference at volume due to clipping.

But with those 96dB Klipsch look-alikes you'd be deafened before most amps would clip unless you were a long way from them.

V

vlad335

Junior Audioholic
I never said the receiver was clipping. Before, at about -34 on the volume listening to cd's in stereo mode, the music would begin to lose focus and definition. This would get worse as the volume is increased. Its not like I was hearing distortion, it is almost like it is being compressed.

So what you guys are basically saying is there could be no improvement and that I am imagining things. Mmmm K.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
vlad335 said:
I never said the receiver was clipping. Before, at about -34 on the volume listening to cd's in stereo mode, the music would begin to lose focus and definition. This would get worse as the volume is increased. Its not like I was hearing distortion, it is almost like it is being compressed.

So what you guys are basically saying is there could be no improvement and that I am imagining things. Mmmm K.
Hi vlad,you may as well be talking to a loaf of rye bread, any report of anybody hearing any improvement in their system due to the use of a power amp will just get you a voley of google link nonesense & a whole lotta headache.

If anything you heard cant be verified by the researchers these guys worship anything you say will just lead to more of the same with big ole cheesy grins like this:D

Now there's 2 of em,you dont stand a chance.:rolleyes:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

vlad335 said:

Who knows what you are hearing or if there is other problems or issues.
Do or did all your CD sounded compressed above that -34 volume setting?
That setting is meaningless really as it is not referenced to any calibration, or was it? That level seems very low from all accounts and no clipping? If you don't have other problems, why would another amp be different? If that low setting is a correct indication, you are in the small fractions of a watt, so would the other amp be.
More troubleshooting might be in order.

V

vlad335

Junior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Who knows what you are hearing or if there is other problems or issues.
Do or did all your CD sounded compressed above that -34 volume setting?
That setting is meaningless really as it is not referenced to any calibration, or was it? That level seems very low from all accounts and no clipping? If you don't have other problems, why would another amp be different? If that low setting is a correct indication, you are in the small fractions of a watt, so would the other amp be.
More troubleshooting might be in order.
Ok I was wrong, actually the setting is more like -30. Whatever. I don't walk around wearing a labcoat and carrying a clipboard all day. Me suspects that if I made a post picturing 10,000.00 worth of Krell amps instead of a rusty basketcase I may not have had the same responses.

The sound of my system is improved dramatically. Period. It can only get better with better amps and cables. There is nothing to calibrate and nothing wrong with the previous setup. I am a professional musician and I know an improvement when I hear it. The sound is more defined, powerful, and has a certain authority (IE: balls) and this isn't only at high sound pressure levels. There is a reason amps such as this weigh 50lbs, no receiver can even come close to the dynamic headroom offered. Also, my wife being pissed off initially by seeing the monstrosity on the floor then wanting to hear her CD's is further proof to me. Not that i needed it mind you...

What we have here is the ultimate "bang for the buck" and adding amps to my setup will deliver it in spades. I know I could never convince you of this and you probally think this is the equivilent of adding a Sparkomatic booster to a car stereo in the 70's but what the hell. :D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
vlad335 said:
a Sparkomatic booster to a car stereo in the 70's but what the hell. :D
LOL:D I remember those. Whoops, just showed my age didn't I:eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

vlad335 said:

The sound of my system is improved dramatically. Period. It can only get better with better amps and cables.
vlad335 said:
You see, that is testable. Firstly, so far no one can demonstrate that comparable cables are audibly different, period.
Second, some amps do sound different and is well known why. After that, low distortion, low output impedance, flat frequency response, not exceeding design limits will pace amps in the transparent category.
If it wasn't for lab coats, you would not have good amps on the market just euphonic ones.

There is nothing to calibrate and nothing wrong with the previous setup.

That is your claim only.

I am a professional musician

That would not give you special credentials to detect audible differences between audio components.

and I know an improvement when I hear it.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Not without proper testing.

Also, my wife being pissed off initially by seeing the monstrosity on the floor then wanting to hear her CD's is further proof to me.

Just another testimonial. Not very good evidence.

I know I could never convince you of this

Not with this testimonial.:) But why would you want to convince me? I have no impact on your enjoyments.:D

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
Just to add some more confusion, how would something like this NHT add up against the a500, if the price of the NHT were around $250.00. Also, being a class G, how does that add to the mix? I know it would limit your options, but would the better specs make any difference?
http://www.nhthifi.com/products/a1.html

Roly

majorloser

majorloser

If I remember right, NHT amps used to be part of a set they sold with their subwoofer. What they considered a powered subwoofer was two pieces. It was a clean amp when I got a chance to play with it. I don't think it has a gain control, though.

Well, from what I've read and seen (and why I'm buying the Behringer) it is a stereo amp that when bridged will give you 500W @ 8 ohms. A lot more "bang for the buck" than NHT.

R

rolyasm

Full Audioholic
The Behringer does seem like a good deal. The NHT would give you 70 watts per channel more, but you would have almost twice the cost. Most of the speakers I am looking at are 4 ohm, so I couldn't use the bridged mode anyway. I am thinking...
Called my electrician today. He said no problem to add more circuits if needed. I have 2 20amp now, might need a few more. Have you ever worried about the fire risk? I have read that bypassing UL standards and all that could potentially cause problems. Any thoughts?
My next closest all in one amp to this price would be the Sherbourn 2100 7x200, which I can get for around $1,400, which compared to the Behringers, now seems like a lot of money. At 4 ohm it is 300 watts, so a little more power. :confused:
Roly

Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
I love how that NHT doesn't look anything like the Outlaw 2200...

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
Tom Andry said:
I love how that NHT doesn't look anything like the Outlaw 2200...
There's absolutely no similarities Tom.

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
thanks jeff. were you able to read the capacitor rating?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis