Behringer A500 Amplifier: Objective Test Results

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The Audio Critic Magazine measured a Behringer A500 amplifier(test measurements made using Audio Precision Analyzer and PowerCube). I thought that people here would be interested in the results since it appears to be a superb value.

Of special note...

-bridgable to use a high power monoblock
-balanced and unbalanced inputs
-rock steady stability into 4 ohm loads and into highly inductive/capacitive loads(required for some rare difficult loads that many recievers may have problems driving)
-$180 street price!

Signal:Noise: -99dB

Crosstalk: -55dB

Frequency Response: -0.3dB @ 10Hz, -0.1dB @ 20Hz, 0.0db @ 1000 Hz, -0.2dB @ 10kHz, 0.6dB @ 20kHz,-2dB @ 40kHz

138 watts @ 8 ohms @ 1000Hz @ 1.000% THD+N, both channels driven

120 watts @ 8 ohms @ 20Hz @ 0.030% THD+N, 1 channel driven

120 watts @ 8 ohms @ 1000Hz @ 0.025% THD+N, 1 channel driven

120 watts @ 8 ohms @ 20000Hz @ 0.045% THD+N, 1 channel driven

220 watts @ 4 ohms @ 1000Hz @ 1.000% THD+N, both channels driven

180 watts @ 4 ohms @ 20Hz @ 0.056% THD+N, 1 channel driven

180 watts @ 4 ohms @ 1000Hz @ 0.050% THD+N, 1 channel driven

180 watts @ 4 ohms @ 20000Hz @ 0.050% THD+N, 1 channel driven

Harmonics of THD are primarily 2nd order, with subsequent harmonics approaching or under -100dB.

Power output was tested from 0 degrees phase resistive load(results given above) and into other phase angles up to +/- 60 degrees. Little variation of output voltage occured, regardless of phase angle.

-Chris

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
You should tell them how well it stacks up to the Bryston:D

Yes, this is a steal of a deal. Bridged would be about 200 watts for less than $200? What a deal.

annunaki

annunaki

I will tout this big little amp as well. I have one running in my system right now. It performs beautifully. It is unbelievavly dynamic as well. The power supply is very large and beefy. It out classes my HK receiver by a longshot.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

annunaki said:
I will tout this big little amp as well. I have one running in my system right now. It performs beautifully. It is unbelievavly dynamic as well. The power supply is very large and beefy. It out classes my HK receiver by a longshot.

Ho9w is the front panel look to you? Peter had a few words but for $180-$230 is is a steal. Bridge it and a huge mono block. Wonder if the Outlaw can match this price?:D

E

ExtraCheese

Audioholic Intern
I'm a total newb and I don't know what those numbers MEAN?! =(

Does that stuff translate to an audible difference?

Would this compare favorably to a Rotell 1080? I just purchased a pair of Dynaudio 72 SE's and I need a powerful stereo amp to drive them properly.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
ExtraCheese said:

Would this compare favorably to a Rotell 1080? I just purchased a pair of Dynaudio 72 SE's and I need a powerful stereo amp to drive them properly.
The A500 will drive the 4 ohm Dynaudio 72E with ease. The Rotell does offer a higher rated power output, but you will already have 180 watts per channel(or 220 per channel @ 1%THD, which is still transparent to human ears) per channel available with the A500.

-Chris

annunaki

annunaki

mtrycrafts said:
Ho9w is the front panel look to you? Peter had a few words but for $180-$230 is is a steal. Bridge it and a huge mono block. Wonder if the Outlaw can match this price?:D

The front panel is definitely not the most elegant. The Bright blue LED is kind of a pain in a dark room. Not having an auto-on feature is a disappointment as well. However, for the price, one cannot really complain. :) Especially with how the unit performs.

E

ExtraCheese

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Gents! I'll be ordering one straight away.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mulester7 said:
.....MtryCrafts, you could be the best trouble-shooter at this site on both the video and audio sides combined...
mulester7 said:
Well, that is kind of you, really. :D You know how to butter one up :)

Mtry, seriously, inquiring mindless types here want to know, what yo' stuff be?.....

Those minds been asking for a very long time, mule, well before your time. My internet days are long, not as long as some though.:D
Oh, my close friends know:D And I do have two boomboxes.:D

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

ExtraCheese said:

I don't know how expensive that Rotel is, but at $180 or so per channel, if you bridge those A500s, I doubt you can beat it with anything.

any two amplifiers with high input impedance, low output impedance, flat frequency response, and sufficiently low distortion and noise will sound exactly the same at matched levels if not clipped.)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

annunaki said:
The front panel is definitely not the most elegant. The Bright blue LED is kind of a pain in a dark room. Not having an auto-on feature is a disappointment as well. However, for the price, one cannot really complain. :) Especially with how the unit performs.

If the rack is behind you, some of this will go away:D

Yes, it appears that this amp is the steal. Even bridged, if one needs it, $180 per channel for a 240watt amp, wow.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
If the rack is behind you, some of this will go away:D

Yes, it appears that this amp is the steal. Even bridged, if one needs it, $180 per channel for a 240watt amp, wow.
When amplifiers are bridged, typically, the internal circuitry basicly loads half the impedance to each channel, thus providing the 4 ohm output power x 2 into an 8 ohm load. In this case, mono bridged output would probably be 360 watts into 8 ohms at the lowest nominal distortion, approaching 440 watts right before or at the onset of clipping. So, $180 for 360 super clean watts. :)

-Chris

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

buckyg4 said:
shame that the input impedance is so low..

Yes, 10kOhmz could be higher, but it still has the specs. Needs a low impedance input component.

Last edited:
H

hunnybunny2383

Audioholic Intern
Question I have a B&K ref 30 pre amp that has output impedance of 221 ohms would this be good because if so I would have to say goodbye to my ref 200/7. Its an ok amp but it has been known to clip from time to time at refrence level probablly due to the fact that all 200 series amps from them have the same power supply. Also at the price you guys are talking I would get a better sound from using multiple amps than using just one big one. Just a thought ref 200/7 $2500, 4 of these babies about $800 look on my face if this works priceless. Thank god for trial periods!!

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
hunnybunny2383 said:
Question I have a B&K ref 30 pre amp that has output impedance of 221 ohms would this be good
There should be no problem here. The general/popular rule of thumb is that input impedance should be at least 10x the output impedance. This applies to typical situations where output impedance does not rise above 1000 ohms, it's basicly a sliding scale, not a fixed one. The effect of using too narrow of a difference in impedances is that the interconnect cable, depending on resistance and capacitance of that cable and impedances involed, may cause a high frequency attenuation slope.

-Chris

Last edited:
E

ExtraCheese

Audioholic Intern
WmAx said:
There should be no problem here. The general/popular rule of thumb is that input impedance should be at least 10x the output impedance. This applies to typical situations where output impedance does not rise above 1000 ohms, it's basicly a sliding scale, not a fixed one. The effect of using too narrow of a difference in impedances is that the interconnect cable, depending on resistance and capacitance of that cable and impedances involed, may cause a high frequency attenuation slope.

-Chris
sonofa... ok, one more question. My Denon 3805 seems to have a Output Impedance of 10kOhms! So high freq. attenuation slope means my high's may sound like crap?

Who knew listening to music would be so complicated?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

WmAx said:
When amplifiers are bridged, typically, the internal circuitry basicly loads half the impedance to each channel, thus providing the 4 ohm output power x 2 into an 8 ohm load. In this case, mono bridged output would probably be 360 watts into 8 ohms at the lowest nominal distortion, approaching 440 watts right before or at the onset of clipping. So, $180 for 360 super clean watts. :)

-Chris

Well, I'd rather be on the low end than being accused of way over optimistic. LOL :D

Thanks.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
ExtraCheese said:
sonofa... ok, one more question. My Denon 3805 seems to have a Output Impedance of 10kOhms! So high freq. attenuation slope means my high's may sound like crap?

Who knew listening to music would be so complicated?
Where is this specified in the manual? I just checked the user manual online( avr3805_dfu.ownersmanual.pdf )and I did not find this specification. In fact, no output impedance specification was given for the pre-outs in the manual that I noticed in the specifications section. 10kOhms seems unlikely, especially with a company such as Denon(I would expect it from some fringe audiophile company).

-Chris

E

ExtraCheese

Audioholic Intern
WmAx said:
Where is this specified in the manual? I just checked the user manual online( avr3805_dfu.ownersmanual.pdf )and I did not find this specification. In fact, no output impedance specification was given for the pre-outs in the manual that I noticed in the specifications section. 10kOhms seems unlikely, especially with a company such as Denon(I would expect it from some fringe audiophile company).

-Chris
http://www.usa.denon.com/AVR-3805_Final_productsheet.pdf

Page 2 of the .pdf file.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis