AVR-X3600H and ARC issues to TCL TV

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
ARC/eARC is never going to work properly 100% of the time. If you want to avoid headaches altogether I would recommend connecting all of your devices to the Denon and using the TV as a monitor. Since none of us are in front of your TV or Denon, there is no way for any of us to know if everything is connected and set up properly. But, you can be sure that if you connect everything to the Denon and use the TV as a monitor, your ARC headaches will be a thing of the past. :)
I can almost guarantee you 100% that it's connected properly. Lol. Does this mean I need to switch the HDMI cable from the arc HDMI to another input or just use that and disable all arc settings on the tv, sat and Android box? Do I In stall Netflix and Amazon Prime on the Android box or firestick also and will be able to get full surround sound using tv as a monitor only?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You can use the ARC/eARC ports on the TV and the Denon but you want to make sure HDMI-CEC and ARC are turned off. You will get surround sound just fine. The audio from your devices will be sent to the Denon and it will send the information to the speakers while it sends just the video information to the TV. Install the apps into your devices. Now, if atmos does not work, it does not mean that there is anything wrong with your devices or the Denon. The Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and other apps do not support atmos on every single device on the market. Yeah, it's as maddening as ARC/eARC.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I can almost guarantee you 100% that it's connected properly. Lol. Does this mean I need to switch the HDMI cable from the arc HDMI to another input or just use that and disable all arc settings on the tv, sat and Android box? Do I In stall Netflix and Amazon Prime on the Android box or firestick also and will be able to get full surround sound using tv as a monitor only?
Yes, you should.

On reviewing this, I note that you have not been asked how long the cable is between you receiver and TV. Since 4k, a cable over 12 ft is best active, and at 25 ft it is mandatory. The best cables for distances over 12 ft, are hybrid optical HDMI cables, with a voltage inserter.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Have you ever tried turning off the tv’s speakers ? Try turning off the tv’s speakers in the tv’s audio settings then rescan to see if the tv finds the receiver through Erac. Works for me. TCL6 series / Denon 3600 owner
Why would you come in here bragging about it?:oops: Are you trying to push him over the edge?:D

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Why would you come in here bragging about it?:oops: Are you trying to push him over the edge?:D
Nah. I try not to push. Just saying that I have very similar equipment and what worked for me. Lol @ bragging about it.

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
Yes, you should.

On reviewing this, I note that you have not been asked how long the cable is between you receiver and TV. Since 4k, a cable over 12 ft is best active, and at 25 ft it is mandatory. The best cables for distances over 12 ft, are hybrid optical HDMI cables, with a voltage inserter.
good question and the cable is under 6 ft. I wonder if i got a lemon of a receiver but what's the chances of that? hmmmmmmm. I do have an extended warranty on the receiver and can bring it in to be checked/serviced. I still have a few years left on the warranty.

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
ok, so trying to attach photos from my laptop and the files are showing as too large! Just to show what settings I have and for some reason, my TCL still doesn't recognize my receiver as a CEC device. Isn't that odd? Hope you gurus can help me here. CajunLB , if you can check these settings to yours if I can send directly to you maybe? I have a AVRX3500h and a TCL 55 LED tv also. Any other way to upload these? i don't have winzip myself. thanks

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Have you ever tried turning off the tv’s speakers ? Try turning off the tv’s speakers in the tv’s audio settings then rescan to see if the tv finds the receiver through Erac. Works for me. TCL6 series / Denon 3600 owner
Oh how I long for the sweet innocence of that first eARC love.

Yesterday
All my eARC troubles seemed so far away
Now it looks as though they're here to stay
Oh, I believe in yesterday.

Suddenly
I have half the sound I used have
There's a shadow hanging over me
Oh, yesterday came suddenly

Why eARC had to go
I don't know, she wouldn't say
I said something wrong
Now I long for yesterday

Yesterday
eARC was such an easy game to play
Now I need a place to hide away [with my Roku]
Oh, I believe in yesterday

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Everything worked for me after I disadled the television speakers. The only difference between our systems is I have arc not Erac so you have a newer tv. All I did was turn off tv speakers and change audio on tv from auto to DD+. And wow TCL has built in Roku that does DD+/Atmos Without having to add 10 different boxes. So let’s Make fun of someone that figured out and is trying to help the Op save money that y’all are trying to make him spend.
But the other guys are correct. If you can’t get Erac to work hooking up a streaming box directly to the Denon will be easier for you if you can’t figure it out.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Wasn't making fun of anybody. Glad your setup is working for you. Don't remember asking anybody to buy more gear but just recommended different hookups and settings if ARC never worked out. It's good to get input from somebody with similar devices and setup. I think Roku has a nice straight forward design and is one of the better Smart TV platforms with great atmos app support.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
ok, so trying to attach photos from my laptop and the files are showing as too large! Just to show what settings I have and for some reason, my TCL still doesn't recognize my receiver as a CEC device. Isn't that odd? Hope you gurus can help me here. CajunLB , if you can check these settings to yours if I can send directly to you maybe? I have a AVRX3500h and a TCL 55 LED tv also. Any other way to upload these? i don't have winzip myself. thanks
Wait I get back inside I will check the settings on my television to make sure I didn’t forget anything you’d like to know.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Wasn't making fun of anybody. Glad your setup is working for you. Don't remember asking anybody to buy more gear but just recommended different hookups and settings if ARC never worked out. It's good to get input from somebody with similar devices and setup. I think Roku has a nice straight forward design and is one of the better Smart TV platforms with great atmos app support.
I really enjoy Roku. If my television apps start screwing up I’ll buy a Roku box. It is so easy to use and there are so many apps that you can download I can’t think of needing any more aps than the Roku provides. Anyway it is very simple to use .

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
I really enjoy Roku. If my television apps start screwing up I’ll buy a Roku box. It is so easy to use and there are so many apps that you can download I can’t think of needing any more aps than the Roku provides. Anyway it is very simple to use .
so Saints Begorrah!! - yes, that's really a term - and lo and behold, the damn curseable receiver is working again!!! how you may ask???? well, I'll tell you - I switched HDMI passthrough from cable/sat to unknown or off then switched off HDMI control with ARC on then off and then when I flicked ARC back on, it worked through the receiver. wth????!??!??!??!? Weirdness prevails but I really do honestly think I may have flicked off the wrong HDMI value. It's working beautifully now so will leave well enough alone and maybe hammer a nail into my settings know so it never moves again. Yay!!! thanks y'all. CajunLB, after you told me that you had shut off the tv speakers, I decided to delve further into the settings and see what I could come up with. I did switch on and off not only the tv speakers but also the HDMI and ARC settings so it may have been one or the other. No idea. Took photos but this site won't allow me to post. P

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
It’s nice to hear a success story! ARC can be a nightmare

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
so Saints Begorrah!! - yes, that's really a term - and lo and behold, the damn curseable receiver is working again!!! how you may ask???? well, I'll tell you - I switched HDMI passthrough from cable/sat to unknown or off then switched off HDMI control with ARC on then off and then when I flicked ARC back on, it worked through the receiver. wth????!??!??!??!? Weirdness prevails but I really do honestly think I may have flicked off the wrong HDMI value. It's working beautifully now so will leave well enough alone and maybe hammer a nail into my settings know so it never moves again. Yay!!! thanks y'all. CajunLB, after you told me that you had shut off the tv speakers, I decided to delve further into the settings and see what I could come up with. I did switch on and off not only the tv speakers but also the HDMI and ARC settings so it may have been one or the other. No idea. Took photos but this site won't allow me to post. P
Your photos are likely needing resizing to post here. If you use a windows 10 machine just right click on the file of the photo, select edit, takes you to Paint (or just open the file in Paint) where there's a resizing option, try 30% or so to start. Might also be easier thru the tapatalk app if using a phone for your photos.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Glad you got it working. Now leave it alone.;)

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
Glad you got it working. Now leave it alone.;)
Oh yeah, right leave it alone. Honestly I need to bugger off from it. I had turned on HDMI control to ON and ARC to ON in the HDMI settings the whole time not being able to make the ARC work.
Once I switched HDMI control to off and physically changed ARC to on then off then back on again and switched TV speakers to off to try a member's here suggestion and BOOM! it worked. I think it was the switching the HDMI control to OFF that triggered it. I now need to look up what I lose when HDMI control is OFF. I don't think much as it seems to work beautifully now. Whew!!
Next up is to add side surround speakers to my home theater and see how that works out..... hee hee hee.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Before eARC, HDMI-CEC needed to be on for ARC to work. This resulted in the ability to control devices from the TV and receiver remote controls but devices also tended to take on a mid of their own and hijack the works. It was a mess and many folks resigned themselves to an optical connection. eARC does not require HDMI-CEC to be on to get audio back from the TV but that does not mean it works properly for everybody all of the time because, again, manufacturers are not required to implement HDMI features in any real standard so some folks end up in an endless cycle of mishaps while others enjoy a mostly trouble free experience. It does help to read the manuals.;) Sometimes the manuals aren't exactly straight forward but there are many knowledgeable souls around here capable of helping with many different issues. Enjoy!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis