AVR-X3600H and ARC issues to TCL TV

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
I have a Denon AVR-x3600h receiver that is connected to my TCL55 tv via ARC. I find the bluray works perfectly through ARC but both Amazon Prime and Netflix doesn't work through the receiver. I hard reset my receiver to the original settings and the bloody thing worked for a week or 2. Yesterday I turned the receiver on and nada...... the sound won't come through ARC unless I unplug the ARC hdmi cable and then the TV sound only works, the receiver doesn't carry the sound at all. WTF?? I swapped the HDMI cable to see if it would work and nada. I tried all the upgrades I could find and both tv and receiver are up to date. HELP!! how can i avoid constantly resetting the receiver to make Netflix, sat box and amazon prime work every time? it's frustrating because I do love the receiver. Any advice? I tried patching in the optical cable to bypass ARC but that didn't work. Do i have to set the tv or receiver to optical to get sound from the optical or......? Any help would be appreciated. I believe I did ask this question before but it was erased it seems. thanks.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Do a hard rest on your tv. My Vizio 4K did that once, maybe try a soft rest first on your Tv.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I personally avoid using ARC, more headaches than benefits. Why do you plug your bluray player into the tv at all? TVs aren't as good as avrs as switching centers, particularly for audio. Maybe ARC for tv apps, but I no longer use tv-based apps myself. If you use optical you may need to check the audio output settings of the tv as well as the input assignment settings in your avr. Sometimes sequence of items being turned on makes a difference with handshake issues, generally you want the sink (tv) to go on first.

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
I personally avoid using ARC, more headaches than benefits. Why do you plug your bluray player into the tv at all? TVs aren't as good as avrs as switching centers, particularly for audio. Maybe ARC for tv apps, but I no longer use tv-based apps myself. If you use optical you may need to check the audio output settings of the tv as well as the input assignment settings in your avr. Sometimes sequence of items being turned on makes a difference with handshake issues, generally you want the sink (tv) to go on first.
No, my bluray is plugged directly into the Denon, not the tv, which boggles my mind even more. I'll try a soft reset on the tv and see if that works first off. Hopefully that will work, everthing else seems to have failed.

Last edited:
P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
so I did a soft reset and it at least brought the tv audio sound back when before there was no sound from the tv at all period unless I unplugged the HDMI cable. baby steps but still frustrating because I love my surround and Superstore doesn't sound the same without the dolby 5.1 working.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No, my bluray is plugged directly into the Denon, not the tv, which boggles my mind even more. I'll try a soft reset on the tv and see if that works first off. Hopefully that will work, everthing else seems to have failed.
Well you mentioned ARC, so if using the bluray into the avr, then ARC isn't (or shouldn't) in play. Handshake issues can be bad, did you try a specific power-on sequence? A macro in a universal remote can be better than ARC, too.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
ARC, oh, the horror. :eek:There is no perfect experience when using ARC and HDMI-CEC that I've ever encountered. Sometimes unplugging just about everything is necessary. It helps to have identical cables throughout the system to keep handshake issues at bay but that doesn't mean the devices will like each other very much. Are all of the devices connected to the Denon or just the blu-ray player? I'm assuming you are using the TV's streaming apps for Netflix and Prime.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Honestly, TV manufacturers should just put one good HDMI audio output port to send a signal to a receiver at this point and lose the optical output. Then, no fussing with ARC/eARC HDMI-CEC if one doesn't want to deal with them. Seriously, over ten years and it's as bad as it's ever been because there is no f$%kin' standard.:mad: Who cares if it adds one more cable going to the AVR if it actually works. Also, make every streaming service out there support atmos on every f$%kin' TV and device and be done with it already.o_O

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
ARC, oh, the horror. :eek:There is no perfect experience when using ARC and HDMI-CEC that I've ever encountered. Sometimes unplugging just about everything is necessary. It helps to have identical cables throughout the system to keep handshake issues at bay but that doesn't mean the devices will like each other very much. Are all of the devices connected to the Denon or just the blu-ray player? I'm assuming you are using the TV's streaming apps for Netflix and Prime.
yes, correct I'm using the TV's apps for streaming but it buggers the sh*t out of me that I need to keep resetting the receiver to factory reset for it to work for a week. jeez....
all of the devices are connected to the receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You do a full factory reset? Have you tried soft resets (unplugging for a bit)?

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
You do a full factory reset? Have you tried soft resets (unplugging for a bit)?
I did the soft reset through the tv and the total reset through the receiver also but you're thinking unplugging both the tv and the receiver for awhile?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did the soft reset through the tv and the total reset through the receiver also but you're thinking unplugging both the tv and the receiver for awhile?
Well a soft reset often alleviates re-setting preferences/passwords so its just a simpler first step, but if doesn't have an effect would move on to a full reset. Quite a few glitches can be resolved with soft resets, tho....

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
Well a soft reset often alleviates re-setting preferences/passwords so its just a simpler first step, but if doesn't have an effect would move on to a full reset. Quite a few glitches can be resolved with soft resets, tho....
is my system screwed or what? A soft reset was done ie plugs pulled out of both TV and the receiver and the sound was restored to Netflix and Amazon Prime but only through the tv speakers and not the receiver. What the hell???? I don't really want to send the receiver in for service - it's still under warranty - when it just may be the cursed ARC hand of doom. I had the same issues as I said previous with the HDMI board on my Marantz receiver which I loved and ended up having for about 5 years after buying the sucker for $1k. I was pissed. Only the radio and the plugins worked on that baby after the HDMI board blew. Total letdown.
I don't know what else to do here with the Denon except reset the receiver every week which is a bummer because I'll have to keep running Audyssey each and every time. Damn you, Denon, damn you to the heavens......
Any other thoughts?

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
so I did a hard reset on the TV and now the audio from netflix and amazon Prime works. ARC is functioning again and the only times this happens is when I hard reset the receiver or the tv. Pain in the arse for sure. So now I need to keep resetting to keep the audio active? crazy. I wonder if there is another fix? let me know if anyone has any other ideas pls. thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hopefully it doesn't come back. I remember using a Samsung bluray player that didn't like communicating with one particular avr/tv combo but was fine with others. I've been having some fire stick audio issues lately but a reset of the fire stick seems to have resolved them for a while....but we'll see :) Good luck in any case.

As to the soft reset then the tv reverting to using its own audio afterwards, that could simply be the tv resetting to a default?

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
Hopefully it doesn't come back. I remember using a Samsung bluray player that didn't like communicating with one particular avr/tv combo but was fine with others. I've been having some fire stick audio issues lately but a reset of the fire stick seems to have resolved them for a while....but we'll see :) Good luck in any case.

As to the soft reset then the tv reverting to using its own audio afterwards, that could simply be the tv resetting to a default?
good luck with the firestick, I have one here that I need to program on the downstairs AV system for the upstairs bedroom. Imagine if there are more problems. what fun. We'll see, it may have been the soft reset pushing it back to its regular volume Not sure. When I hard reset the receiver, it worked great again but then stopped after a week so hopefully this reset holds.

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
so 2 weeks later and the goddamn sound is gone again and only coming through the tv speakers. WTF???? So now i have to keep hard resetting the tv to get back the sound through EARC. ridiculous. joke. I tried a quick hard reset to the tv tonight again and it didn't restore sound for Netflix nor Amazon through my Roku appns. Bites major. i may have to retry again tomorrow and maybe have the receiver turned off then turn on tv first then receiver and seeing if sequence works. At a loss. Suggestions.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
so 2 weeks later and the goddamn sound is gone again and only coming through the tv speakers. WTF???? So now i have to keep hard resetting the tv to get back the sound through EARC. ridiculous. joke. I tried a quick hard reset to the tv tonight again and it didn't restore sound for Netflix nor Amazon through my Roku appns. Bites major. i may have to retry again tomorrow and maybe have the receiver turned off then turn on tv first then receiver and seeing if sequence works. At a loss. Suggestions.
I've had a lot of problems with EARC between a Sammy Q6 and a Denon AVRX3400H. It worked perfectly for quite a while and I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. Then it started acting up. Ohhh boy did I figure out what all the fuss was about! I tried all sorts of things. I tried all sorts of resets, frogged around with every freaking setting in the AVR and the TV, etc. Unplugged and reconnected everything in virtually every possible combination of sequences, etc. Eventually I settled on a specific power-on sequence which seemed to work for awhile, but then it went berzerk on me again.

After being mercilessly beaten down by the EARC gremlins for weeks, I now do everything audio caveman style and stream everything using a Roku plugged into an HDMI port on the Denon rather than the TV apps (I take it you are still trying to stream through your TV apps?).

I've started to wonder if all of the EARC "solutions" people try are actually little more than superstitious behavior similar to that of the pigeons in Skinner's famous experiment. Perhaps us EARC users are unwitting subjects in some crazy version of this experiment? First they starve us of audio, then they F with us by randomly causing EARC to work (that's a joke)(not a funny joke, just a joke)

>>>Skinner conducted his research on a group of hungry pigeons whose body weights had been reduced to 75% of their normal weight when well-fed. For a few minutes each day, a mechanism fed the birds at regular intervals. What observers of the pigeons found showed the birds developing superstitious behavior, believing that by acting in a particular way, or committing a certain action, food would arrive. . . . By the end of the study, three quarters of the birds had become superstitious. One pigeon, in pursuit of food, believed that by turning around in the cage twice or three times between being fed, but not just in any direction; the bird learnt to turn anti-clockwise and appeared to believe that this would mean it being fed.<<<

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I had a lot of issue in the beginning but once I got it working it has stayed working. It is hard to now what to blame because it could be the TV, the AVR or both.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I have ARC working most of the time with few hiccups. But, are eARC users making sure their HDMI cables support ethernet? Cables have been the cause of the problems for some. External streamers like the Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro and the Roku Ultra will have access to many more apps and configuration settings than any TV and one can get away from ARC/eARC issues. App support of atmos on those devices is more widespread than on TVs as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis