AVR-X3600H and ARC issues to TCL TV

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have somewhat of a peaceful setup in my hdmi.... Dogs and cats living together. :)

On my small home theater 5.1.4 setup either Fire Cube is the brain or AppleTV is the brain. (Everything wires hdmi 2.0a to my Yamaha 2060. I don’t rely on ARC because the TV isn’t that smart so while its on and functions it’s not used as a source).

If I turn on my Sony 4K disc player it takes the ownership of input immediately. When I am done on the Sony I go to either Home Screen on Fire cube (Alexa command or remote or iPhone remote) or Home Screen on AppleTV (iPhone remote). If I try to power off my Sony 4K first instead, my Samsung TV tries to be “smart” and take ownership but even then I just go to Home Screen on either streamer to escape that TV acting “smart”. LOL. :)

My tv channels are on my Sling app on Fire cube and AppleTV. (HuluTV and YouTubeTV got too expensive but sometimes I do 30 days of HuluTV at a time). Using a tivo box for cable caused too many problems. (circles of devices trying to take ownership, it was a mess) LOL :)

Flipping between Fire Cube and AppleTV is just a matter of going to Home Screen on either one. Both are kind enough to step down as soon as Home Screen is requested on the other.

I have same devices in 2 other rooms as well. Same lines just different models and less speakers (no 4K or Atmos in those 2 rooms like the theater room). They behave the same exact way though.

Nobody else in my home besides me uses AppleTV, they just use Fire cube. I like them both but Alexa usually wins. :).

2019 Fire cube supports Netflix Atmos but firestick 4K doesn’t. I haven’t tried the more advanced Alexa device controls yet. It might be able to do something more than power on/off TV and AVR and do AVR volume. It came with IR transmitters and has a section on device control.

I believe Roku is probably just as easy to use as Fire cube and fire stick but I don’t have that one.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
no, the bluray is plugged into the receiver directly. I'll try the sequence of units turning on but I don't think that's the problem. I believe I did try it before. My TV isn't recognizing the receiver at all when I go through the CEC device search in system settings. Weird.
This might be a dumb question, but I take it your TV is connected to the ARC/eARC port on the AVR and this is connected to the eARC port on the TV? (I'm not familiar with your TV but I'm assuming it has an eARC port?)

Attachments

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It's a great idea to get identical cables all the way around and make sure they are at least 18gbps, premium certified cables and support ethernet for eARC. Folks wanting to game at 120fps will need 48gbps ultra certified cables.
1616451854755.png

1616451885909.png

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
This might be a dumb question, but I take it your TV is connected to the ARC/eARC port on the AVR and this is connected to the eARC port on the TV? (I'm not familiar with your TV but I'm assuming it has an eARC port?)

Hi, yes, I have a connection from the receiver's EARC out to the TV's EARC input. So, no dumb moves on my part. I'll try unplugging and replugging both for a few hours and double check the EARC connection on both.

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
It's a great idea to get identical cables all the way around and make sure they are at least 18gbps, premium certified cables and support ethernet for eARC. Folks wanting to game at 120fps will need 48gbps ultra certified cables.
View attachment 45867
View attachment 45868
even after using cables that did work for a period of time, you think that it may also be a cable issue on my part? I find it weird that it would work for a few weeks then stop if I have the wrong HDMI cable, no? HMMMMMMMMM.....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, better a cable than the TV or AVR. :confused: While built in apps are convenient, the best streaming devices are better all the way around and offer more apps and more atmos support from streaming services without all of the headaches from using ARC. Sorry you keep having to fight with it. I also enjoy "Superstore" in 5.1 and the last episode was great. I'm hoping all of the "Kids" show up at some point.

Last edited:
P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
Well, better a cable than the TV or AVR. :confused: While built in apps are convenient, the best streaming devices are better all the way around and offer more apps and more atmos support from streaming services without all of the headaches from using ARC. Sorry you keep having to fight with it. I also enjoy "Superstore" in 5.1 and the last episode was great. I'm hoping all of the "Kids" show up at some point.
True that but the cable I have is hi-end and worked for a few weeks. What's interesting is when I did a search for CEC through tv the receiver was not detected through arc connection. When I patched the BluRay directly to another HDMI it was detected through the same CEC test. What that means to me is the ARC connection is screwed or maybe the arc/CEC on my receiver isn't turned on correctly? Any ideas? Maybe patch the BluRay directly through arc and see if it works? I'm bamboozled

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
True that but the cable I have is hi-end and worked for a few weeks. What's interesting is when I did a search for CEC through tv the receiver was not detected through arc connection. When I patched the BluRay directly to another HDMI it was detected through the same CEC test. What that means to me is the ARC connection is screwed or maybe the arc/CEC on my receiver isn't turned on correctly? Any ideas? Maybe patch the BluRay directly through arc and see if it works? I'm bamboozled
So I unplugged the Denon receiver from the earc channel and plugged it into another regular HDMI. The tv did not recognize it. Normal?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, again, not every device behaves like another in regard to HDMI-CEC. Receivers are more like passthrough devices and may not show up in a list of controllable devices. Connect the receiver and TV via the ARC/eARC HDMI ports. Turn on HDMI-CEC and ARC in both of them. Adjust the volume or mute the sound with the TV remote control. It should adjust the sound on the receiver if all is working properly. Stream from a TV app and see if sound comes from the receiver. If not, well, consider another streaming device and be rid of the annoyance and resulting headaches.
8B4CCD3E-EE66-47D3-86B8-002CDBA4BB58.jpeg

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
Well, again, not every device behaves like another in regard to HDMI-CEC. Receivers are more like passthrough devices and may not show up in a list of controllable devices. Connect the receiver and TV via the ARC/eARC HDMI ports. Turn on HDMI-CEC and ARC in both of them. Adjust the volume or mute the sound with the TV remote control. It should adjust the sound on the receiver if all is working properly. Stream from a TV app and see if sound comes from the receiver. If not, well, consider another streaming device and be rid of the annoyance and resulting headaches.
View attachment 45903
I've had a lot of problems with EARC between a Sammy Q6 and a Denon AVRX3400H. It worked perfectly for quite a while and I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. Then it started acting up. Ohhh boy did I figure out what all the fuss was about! I tried all sorts of things. I tried all sorts of resets, frogged around with every freaking setting in the AVR and the TV, etc. Unplugged and reconnected everything in virtually every possible combination of sequences, etc. Eventually I settled on a specific power-on sequence which seemed to work for awhile, but then it went berzerk on me again.

After being mercilessly beaten down by the EARC gremlins for weeks, I now do everything audio caveman style and stream everything using a Roku plugged into an HDMI port on the Denon rather than the TV apps (I take it you are still trying to stream through your TV apps?).

I've started to wonder if all of the EARC "solutions" people try are actually little more than superstitious behavior similar to that of the pigeons in Skinner's famous experiment. Perhaps us EARC users are unwitting subjects in some crazy version of this experiment? First they starve us of audio, then they F with us by randomly causing EARC to work (that's a joke)(not a funny joke, just a joke)

>>>Skinner conducted his research on a group of hungry pigeons whose body weights had been reduced to 75% of their normal weight when well-fed. For a few minutes each day, a mechanism fed the birds at regular intervals. What observers of the pigeons found showed the birds developing superstitious behavior, believing that by acting in a particular way, or committing a certain action, food would arrive. . . . By the end of the study, three quarters of the birds had become superstitious. One pigeon, in pursuit of food, believed that by turning around in the cage twice or three times between being fed, but not just in any direction; the bird learnt to turn anti-clockwise and appeared to believe that this would mean it being fed.<<<

Hmmmmm I do have a fire stick so maybe what I'll do is plug it directly to the Denon then Stream through there? I swapped RVs and tried the earc on the don't Bravia I have and the earc didn't work except when using the BluRay. No PVR, no amazon, no Netflix either. So it's the arc on my receiver that's the issue and not the TCL tv I have. I originally blamed the tv but the tv swap proves it's the Denon. I also have an Android box which is plugged into the Denon. Maybe I should use it independently also and use the apps on there? Hmmmmmm..... One last soft and hard resets on all the units then I'm going to the independent firestick and Android box combo.

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
View attachment 45903
Consider another streaming device ie separate firestick and Android box maybe? Through the Denon individually?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yes. If you just can't get ARC to work properly, stop torturing yourself and connect all of your devices directly into the Denon. Turn HDMI-CEC off in every piece of equipment and just use the TV as a monitor. This is how many folks had their systems set up in the past before Smart TV apps showed up and DD+/atmos streams made some want to use the ARC/eARC feature to get atmos to their receivers.

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
Yes. If you just can't get ARC to work properly, stop torturing yourself and connect all of your devices directly into the Denon. Turn HDMI-CEC off in every piece of equipment and just use the TV as a monitor. This is how many folks had their systems set up in the past before Smart TV apps showed up and DD+/atmos streams made some want to use the ARC/eARC feature to get atmos to their receivers.
aha, I see. So if one were interested in getting Dolby Atmos, u need earc or no? So after connecting all my separate units into the Denon I need to use the HDMI out on my Denon receiver to the arc designated HDMI input on my tv? A little confusing

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You only "need" arc/earc if you're extracting audio from the tv. If you put all your sources into the Denon, and just use the tv as monitor, no need.....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No, you only need to connect to the ARC/eARC input if you want audio to come back to the receiver from the TV. Before ARC/eARC, an optical/coaxial or even analog connection allowed audio to be sent from the TV to the receiver. But, analog was just two channel audio and optical/coaxial could go up to DD 5.1 but did not have the bandwidth for DD+ or DD+/atmos. ARC is limited to DD+/atmos while eARC can handle lossless Dolby TrueHD/atmos. Currently, streaming services use DD+/atmos and TrueHD/atmos is available on disc. You will get atmos just fine if your devices are connected directly into the Denon.

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
No, you only need to connect to the ARC/eARC input if you want audio to come back to the receiver from the TV. Before ARC/eARC, an optical/coaxial or even analog connection allowed audio to be sent from the TV to the receiver. But, analog was just two channel audio and optical/coaxial could go up to DD 5.1 but did not have the bandwidth for DD+ or DD+/atmos. ARC is limited to DD+/atmos while eARC can handle lossless Dolby TrueHD/atmosó Currently, streaming services use DD+/atmos and TrueHD/atmos is available on disc. You will get atmos just fine if your devices are connected directly into the Denon.
AVS Forum

P

"OFFICIAL" 2019 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8)

Jump to LatestFollow

4221 - 4231 of 4231 Posts
212 of 212

P
pana3000
·Registered
Joined Jul 21, 2018
·
49 Posts
#4,221 1 d ago

jdsmoothie said:
You can use either a Firestick or Roku.
how about an android box? will that work also?

Reply Quote

J
jdsmoothie
·Premium Member
Joined Sep 28, 2007
·
91,039 Posts
Discussion Starter • #4,222 1 d ago

pana3000 said:
how about an android box? will that work also?
Yes.

2020 Denon AVR Owner's thread
2020 Marantz AVR Owner's thread

Reply Quote
J
johjames912
·Registered
Joined 11 d ago
·
11 Posts
#4,223 23 h ago

Is the Denon AVR-X2600H receiver's internet speed capped at 100mbps please?
I haven't been able to find any information in the user manual. I ask as my wifi router states that the LAN speed to the receiver is 100mbps and so I wondered if I have a faulty device or router, or if this is the norm. Thank you.

Reply Quote
D
deano86
·Registered
Joined Apr 11, 2008
·
2,653 Posts
#4,224 22 h ago

johjames912 said:
Is the Denon AVR-X2600H receiver's internet speed capped at 100mbps please?
I haven't been able to find any information in the user manual. I ask as my wifi router states that the LAN speed to the receiver is 100mbps and so I wondered if I have a faulty device or router, or if this is the norm. Thank you.
Why would that be faulty? Your Denon can only stream audio files through its network connection and if it indeed has the older style 10/100mbps LAN port, that is way more bandwidth capability than is needed for that purpose. I assume your router has gigabit LAN ports and you have a direct connection to it? .. .thus your question?

For Sale! OEM bulb assy for Panasonic PT-AE8000 projector.
Panasonic ET-LAA410 OEM bulb assy with filters and...

Reply Quote

D
DGD123
·Registered
Joined Mar 28, 2017
·
29 Posts
#4,225 22 h ago

johjames912 said:
Your Denon can only stream audio files through its network connection and if it indeed has the older style 10/100mbps LAN port, that is wa
Agreed, I don't believe my Denon receiver has a 'bandwidth test' as it's requirements for HEOS aren't much above 20Megs. That said, I do see some small 5 or 8 port switches that are not gigabit in capability.

Reply Quote
J
johjames912
·Registered
Joined 11 d ago
·
11 Posts
#4,226 19 h ago

deano86 said:
Why would that be faulty? Your Denon can only stream audio files through its network connection and if it indeed has the older style 10/100mbps LAN port, that is way more bandwidth capability than is needed for that purpose. I assume your router has gigabit LAN ports and you have a direct connection to it? .. .thus your question?
Thank you Deano86. I use, as you correctly assumed a gigabit router and it is directly connected to the receiver. My question was less about whether a 100mbps connection is sufficient and more whether the Denon AVRX-2600H is restricted to that bandwidth. An academic question if you will! Do you know if the Denon AVR-X2600H has the older style LAN port? That would explain the issue.

Reply Quote
J
johjames912
·Registered
Joined 11 d ago
·
11 Posts
#4,227 19 h ago

DGD123 said:
Agreed, I don't believe my Denon receiver has a 'bandwidth test' as it's requirements for HEOS aren't much above 20Megs. That said, I do see some small 5 or 8 port switches that are not gigabit in capability.
Thanks DGD123.

Reply Quote
D
deano86
·Registered
Joined Apr 11, 2008
·
2,653 Posts
#4,228 19 h ago

johjames912 said:
Thank you Deano86. I use, as you correctly assumed a gigabit router and it is directly connected to the receiver. My question was less about whether a 100mbps connection is sufficient and more whether the Denon AVRX-2600H is restricted to that bandwidth. An academic question if you will! Do you know if the Denon AVR-X2600H has the older style LAN port? That would explain the issue.
I would guess it is... My Denon is obviously older than yours a 2014 ( AVR-X5200W) but yes, on the LED display of my TP-Link gigabit switch it does show that mine is connected at 100mbps port speed as well... There really is no need for a gigabit capable LAN port on a device that only streams audio anyway... but I assume your model also has wifi capability too, and I have no idea what those specs would be..

For Sale! OEM bulb assy for Panasonic PT-AE8000 projector.
Panasonic ET-LAA410 OEM bulb assy with filters and...

Reply Quote

C
chronomac
·Registered
Joined Jan 11, 2006
·
83 Posts
#4,229 18 h ago (Edited)

Does this receiver support 120hz at any resolution? Didn't think to try it out until tonight and my PS5 doesn't show it as a supported mode in 1080p or 4K. I might need to restart it, though.

I checked back about 20-30 pages and didn’t see anyone else ask.

If not, it's not a deal-breaker. Just curious, mainly.

Reply Quote
C
chronomac
·Registered
Joined Jan 11, 2006
·
83 Posts
#4,230 16 h ago

chronomac said:
Does this receiver support 120hz at any resolution? Didn't think to try it out until tonight and my PS5 doesn't show it as a supported mode in 1080p or 4K. I might need to restart it, though.

Welp, nevermind. Found this in the PDF manual (page 231):

Reply Quote
J
jdsmoothie
·Premium Member
Joined Sep 28, 2007
·
91,039 Posts
Discussion Starter • #4,231 15 h ago

chronomac said:

No, rather only on the current 2020 models with HDMI 2.1.

2020 Denon AVR Owner's thread
2020 Marantz AVR Owner's thread

Reply Quote
P
pana3000
·Registered
Joined Jul 21, 2018
·
49 Posts
#4,232 a moment ago

Yes it does and the HDMI is connected to watch on the receiver to the earc on the tv.

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
ARC, oh, the horror. :eek:There is no perfect experience when using ARC and HDMI-CEC that I've ever encountered. Sometimes unplugging just about everything is necessary. It helps to have identical cables throughout the system to keep handshake issues at bay but that doesn't mean the devices will like each other very much. Are all of the devices connected to the Denon or just the blu-ray player? I'm assuming you are using the TV's streaming apps for Netflix and Prime.
All of the devices are connected to the Denon then one HDMI cable to the arc input HDMI on my tv.

P

Panayoti3000

Junior Audioholic
Ok..... So I swapped out the tv and it's not the tv because on my spare Sony tv the Amazon and Netflix no sound are the same through earc. I still have a warranty on my Denon but thought that maybe I can make due. The retail store where I bought it said the service mgr could check it but worse comes to worse, I won't have it for 3-4 weeks while in repair. Should I or just try the workaround with tv only as monitor and all else through firestick? Advice?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
ARC/eARC is never going to work properly 100% of the time. If you want to avoid headaches altogether I would recommend connecting all of your devices to the Denon and using the TV as a monitor. Since none of us are in front of your TV or Denon, there is no way for any of us to know if everything is connected and set up properly. But, you can be sure that if you connect everything to the Denon and use the TV as a monitor, your ARC headaches will be a thing of the past. :)

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Have you ever tried turning off the tv’s speakers ? Try turning off the tv’s speakers in the tv’s audio settings then rescan to see if the tv finds the receiver through Erac. Works for me. TCL6 series / Denon 3600 owner

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis