P

Project SOG

Audioholic
Thanks but not my room lol.

After looking at your room, which is very nice, I agree with golfx that front and rear height would work well for you. You will need to lower your surrounds though.
That's what I was thinking about lowering the surrounds but then I was thinking they might be too close to the MLP and others. The other option is having them high up on the side walls in the back.

What do you think?

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
Well you have vaulted ceilings. That is good. I too have vaulted ceilings and it helps with room correction. Your side mounted svs heights would get a little hampered play considering the distance to your far right wall from your main listening position. Front and rear heights seem like they would work considering your close distance to your mains. But you also have those beams which you could run mostly hidden wires along to place overheads if you like. A lot of good possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking about lowering the surrounds but then I was thinking they might be too close to the MLP and others. The other option is having them high up on the side walls in the back.

What do you think?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

What do you think?
Well for Atmos specifically, you need angular separation between the “bed” layer and height layer. For Auro I think that might not quite as important. I would not keep my surrounds very high in either case. It’s hard to tell from pics. But could you move the surrounds out a little bit as well as lowering them? Then you might have less hotspotting.

I’ll look at your pics some more.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Hello everyone!
I'm in the 60 day return period for the denon 3700 and I'm thinking about upgrading to the 4700 to get auro 3D.

In your opinion, is it worth it to pay $500 extra to upmix auro 3D?
I have a friend who does AV installations and he A/B switched in his house between Auro upmixing vs Dolby upmixing on 2 channel music content. I consistently preferred the Auromatic upmixer. Unfortunately, my current receiver doesn't have Aur. I am hoping to pick up a prepro with Auro sometime soon.

It looks to me like Auro has a decent amount of content as far as movies go.
https://www.auro-3d.com/consumer/

Guys who say Auro has no content (needs to be avoided) appear to be either talking out the wazoo o_O or maybe Dolbypays them more money. In either case, i don't think it is a good idea for Dolby to be a monopoly. Hopefully, DTS and Auro will pick up more steam with amount of content released.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a friend who does AV installations and he A/B switched in his house between Auro upmixing vs Dolby upmixing on 2 channel music content. I consistently preferred the Auromatic upmixer. Unfortunately, my current receiver doesn't have Aur. I am hoping to pick up a prepro with Auro sometime soon.

Guys who say Auro has no content (needs to be avoided) appear to be either talking out the wazoo o_O or maybe Dolbypays them more money. In either case, i don't think it is a good idea for Dolby to be a monopoly. Hopefully, DTS and Auro will pick up more steam with amount of content released.
Was curious so just took a look at your link for content....it listed BR2049 so I pulled my bluray copy, no indication of an Auro soundtrack for playback, just Dolby Atmos and DTS HD-MA....so is the Auro data embedded in these codecs somehow?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Maybe you mean me? I did say there’s no Auro content. What I meant was here in the us. At least last time I looked. There are a LOT more available but seem to be European. Many have said what you did about auromatic being better for 2ch upmixing. Still imo, I wouldn’t want to upmix(downmix maybe)an Atmos track to Auro. I’ve been really enjoying spacial music in Dolby Atmos on my atv 4k. I don’t see Auro competing with that. Personally.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I’m sure it does work great for music as I’ve seen many reports saying so. It’s just not for me is all.

Btw if I read this right, you have .6?
In any case curious if when you get a sound that’s meant for the VOG speaker. Do your heights phantom image that correctly centered over you? I’ve always wondered that. Curious too, if you visit the Atmos thread on the “other” forum.

William I stay as Golfx on ASR but change to steadybias on AVS. Regarding the 4-6 heights it depends on the speaker preset I use. I can change my 7.2.4 to have 5.2.6 as my rear surrounds are mounted at 6ft to avoid a seemingly endless supply of toddler grandchildren. I also have 3d remapping which allows me to compare processor results.

Oh my room has asymmetrical 20 foot ceiling. So for a future VOG speaker I suppose I could go with a pendant speaker hanging down from my 16 ft high ceiling fan. But I’m not sure a VOG would improve my music. The room measures really well once optimized as is.

Regarding phantom VOG, I’ve never heard a discrete VOG speaker setup. So if I install one, I could compare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Maybe you mean me? I did say there’s no Auro content. What I meant was here in the us. At least last time I looked. There are a LOT more available but seem to be European. Many have said what you did about auromatic being better for 2ch upmixing. Still imo, I wouldn’t want to upmix(downmix maybe)an Atmos track to Auro. I’ve been really enjoying spacial music in Dolby Atmos on my atv 4k. I don’t see Auro competing with that. Personally.
Watch this.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Try this YouTube. It is long and informative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is a lot of propaganda in that video so tread lightly. There seems to be a concerted effort to claim Auro upmixing superiority since its failed as a native format.

I did some 2CH upmixing tests last night between the DSU, DTS:X and Auro 3D and all the Auro folk, including Wilfred and Grobi came out to counter it at the same time. Very strange.

Anywhere, here are my results so far and my next test will be 5.1 upmixing:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I saw this, or one very similar last week. While I do find him interesting to listen to, I find some of his claims a little dubious. And to paraphrase myself, when he talks about Atmos and dtsX I feel like he’s Henry ford telling me why not to buy a Buick.
But indeed. There’s an a$$ for every seat!
Yep, if Auro was so great, more professionals like Anthony Grimani, David Frangioni, etc would be installing Auro theaters, selecting the core Dolby track and bypassing Atmos, and upmixing to Auro. They aren't! It reeks of an act of desperation or just willful ignorance.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
There is a lot of propaganda in that video so tread lightly. There seems to be a concerted effort to claim Auro upmixing superiority since its failed as a native format.

I did some 2CH upmixing tests last night between the DSU, DTS:X and Auro 3D and all the Auro folk, including Wilfred and Grobi came out to counter it at the same time. Very strange.

Anywhere, here are my results so far and my next test will be 5.1 upmixing:
That was a great video and while I don't have Auro 3D I do agree Dolby surround is best with 2 channel music, and it's 99% how I listen to 2 channel music. I really, really which we still had Dolby Prologic II/DPLII where you can customize it the way you want. That was just the best and I'm a little annoyed Dolby took that away or doesn't offer it anymore.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

The reality is Auro has no content. If you want to use the upmixer, that's cool. I'm not a fan of Dolby business practices but they are the UHD and streaming standard for Immersive Audio and that isn't changing anytime soon.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That was a great video and while I don't have Auro 3D I do agree Dolby surround is best with 2 channel music, and it's 99% how I listen to 2 channel music. I really, really which we still had Dolby Prologic II/DPLII where you can customize it the way you want. That was just the best and I'm a little annoyed Dolby took that away or doesn't offer it anymore.

Yep I fought to get Dolby "Center Spread" back on Denon/Marantz receivers and they did for 2020 and newer. Make sure you enable it for 2CH music Upmixing.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yep I fought to get Dolby "Center Spread" back on Denon/Marantz receivers and they did for 2020 and newer. Make sure you enable it for 2CH music Upmixing.

Yes sir, I have and we thank you for that. Without center spread it's really not the same, definitely not the same enjoyment. I still miss DPLII and how could really dial things in the way you want it. I understand they folded the technology into Dolby surround but I still like the old DPLII. They had a music mode and movie mode. I mean movie mode I didn't care much about but the music mode was amazing.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Yes sir, I have and we thank you for that. Without center spread it's really not the same, definitely not the same enjoyment. I still miss DPLII and how could really dial things in the way you want it. I understand they folded the technology into Dolby surround but I still like the old DPLII. They had a music mode and movie mode. I mean movie mode I didn't care much about but the music mode was amazing.

100% agreed. Last Gen upmixers from Dolby and DTS were better at upmixing 7.1 than the Immersive ones. Less artifacting too from my experience.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
100% agreed. Last Gen upmixers from Dolby and DTS were better at upmixing 7.1 than the Immersive ones. Less artifacting too from my experience.
If you want to hear a crazy 2ch song that sounds just amazing upmixed with Dolby surround, it may not be your favorite genre but Third eye blind "I'll never let you go". It sounds amazing upmixed, I think because it has just so many layers to it. It absolutely blows my mind how amazing it sound in Dolby surround. I mean I don't love that band but that song is just incredible sounding.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep, if Auro was so great, more professionals like Anthony Grimani, David Frangioni, etc would be installing Auro theaters, selecting the core Dolby track and bypassing Atmos, and upmixing to Auro. They aren't! It reeks of an act of desperation or just willful ignorance.
Agreed. I’ve also noticed a lot of references lately to how awesome Auro/auromatic is. But almost ALL of the people saying so,
Saw it on YT. New ad campaign? Lol
I’m not Auro capable so can’t speak from experience with it. But I’m also not interested in it either. Like you, and hetfield, I kinda miss PLII and it’s music mode. I don’t hate DSU though. Imo plii could make some odd choice with instrument placement, and I haven’t noticed that with DSU. DTSnx seems a little off with music to me. I’ve finally been able to listen to Atmos music via Apple spacial. Like everything, it’s not ALL super duper. But there is a LOT of really, really amazing stuff. Notably an album by booka shade. A lot of sounds are right on top of my head, or even give a feeling that water is going down my back. Not to mention the stuff everywhere else in my room. It’s electronic so that genre lends itself very well to that type of mix, which is native Atmos(not sure how they apply Atmos to older tracks). But even some older stuff is just soooo good. Picking out layers in the mix is easy and fun.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis