P

Project SOG

Audioholic
Hello everyone!
I'm in the 60 day return period for the denon 3700 and I'm thinking about upgrading to the 4700 to get auro 3D.

In your opinion, is it worth it to pay $500 extra to upmix auro 3D?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I say oh God no. How much content is there with Auro 3D? How much going forward is there really gonna be? Is it that much better than Dolby Atmos? That's just my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Hello everyone!
I'm in the 60 day return period for the denon 3700 and I'm thinking about upgrading to the 4700 to get auro 3D.

I agree there is little Auro 3D content for movies. I use the auromatic upmixer for listening to music. It presents a stunning wall of music along with summing all the bass from the surrounds/heights to the subwoofers. If you search the web you will find many music listeners who have become converts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
I say oh God no. How much content is there with Auro 3D? How much going forward is there really gonna be? Is it that much better than Dolby Atmos? That's just my opinion.

Thanks for the input.
Yeah I haven't heard any of the content. I just read that it's more immersive than atmos but I don't knife it that's true or not. I heard the up mixing van be used.

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
I agree there is little Auro 3D content for movies. I use the auromatic upmixer for listening to music. It presents a stunning wall of music along with summing all the bass from the surrounds/heights to the subwoofers. If you search the web you will find many music listeners who have become converts.

What about up mixing for movies, do you feel it's not worth the extra cost?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I don't have Auro 3D so I don't know but I just can't imagine caring about it till it's more accepted. I'm more of a purist with movie sound and not a huge fan of upmixing. It might be worth it if that's what you are looking to do I guess. Depends on what people with Auro 3D are saying about how good it upmixes.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
The way Auro 3D has it speakers positioned there are front heights DIRECTLY above the LR main fronts. This helps present a very agreeable wall of sound—particularly for music. I also use it on older streamed movies (2000-2010) which have a shallow presentation of mostly center with a little LR and no real surrounds.

You sound like you want to be talked out of the upgrade. But will it “continue” to bother you if you do not upgrade? The latter has always been my problem.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hello everyone!

How are your speakers laid out currently? That may or may not affect your decision. From what I’ve seen, lots of music guys really like Auromatic and it’s treatment of music. Movies have been a mixed bag and more polarizing.
IMO, no. It’s not worth it. I really like Atmos movies, and especially Atmos music. While it’s true that some Atmos tracks aren’t that great, but that’s been true from as long as there has been movies. Whoopty do… My system also has tops in the ceiling, so I can’t experiment, but if you currently have heights in actual heights locations you could experiment. I might recommend that if there was more native Auro content. But I personally wouldn’t sacrifice a good Atmos layout to use an upmixer on Atmos tracks. Especially since all the metadata would be ignored.
Seems bass-ackwards. That’s just my opinion.

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
The way Auro 3D has it speakers positioned there are front heights DIRECTLY above the LR main fronts. This helps present a very agreeable wall of sound—particularly for music. I also use it on older streamed movies (2000-2010) which have a shallow presentation of mostly center with a little LR and no real surrounds.

You sound like you want to be talked out of the upgrade. But will it “continue” to bother you if you do not upgrade? The latter has always been my problem.

I have two pairs of the prime elevation svs ones that I haven't put up yet because I would to make sure I have the proper placement, whether I decide not to upgrade the receiver and just stick with atmos or if I upgraded what would it look like for the auro set up.

This will be the last upgrade as well so I want to make sure I get everything that I want but that would be useful and not left wondering "what if".

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
How are your speakers laid out currently? That may or may not affect your decision. From what I’ve seen, lots of music guys really like Auromatic and it’s treatment of music. Movies have been a mixed bag and more polarizing.
IMO, no. It’s not worth it. I really like Atmos movies, and especially Atmos music. While it’s true that some Atmos tracks aren’t that great, but that’s been true from as long as there has been movies. Whoopty do… My system also has tops in the ceiling, so I can’t experiment, but if you currently have heights in actual heights locations you could experiment. I might recommend that if there was more native Auro content. But I personally wouldn’t sacrifice a good Atmos layout to use an upmixer on Atmos tracks. Especially since all the metadata would be ignored.
Seems bass-ackwards. That’s just my opinion.
Yeah I haven't laid out the two pairs of elevation speakers I have. Trying to decide how I'm going to proceed in terms of layout.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic

Try this YouTube. It is long and informative.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I haven't laid out the two pairs of elevation speakers I have. Trying to decide how I'm going to proceed in terms of layout.
If it were me using “heights” vs tops I would do this(side heights) if the room allowed.
How much room is behind the MLP?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
There are many of us that use our heights (4-6) successfully for Atmos playback while still getting excellent auromatic music upmixing.

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
There are many of us that use our heights (4-6) successfully for Atmos playback while still getting excellent auromatic music upmixing.

that's good to know. Seriously considering the upgrade.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Well you have vaulted ceilings. That is good. I too have vaulted ceilings and it helps with room correction. Your side mounted svs heights would get a little hampered play considering the distance to your far right wall from your main listening position. Front and rear heights seem like they would work considering your close distance to your mains. But you also have those beams which you could run mostly hidden wires along to place overheads if you like. A lot of good possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I’m sure it does work great for music as I’ve seen many reports saying so. It’s just not for me is all.

Btw if I read this right, you have .6?
In any case curious if when you get a sound that’s meant for the VOG speaker. Do your heights phantom image that correctly centered over you? I’ve always wondered that. Curious too, if you visit the Atmos thread on the “other” forum.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Try this YouTube. It is long and informative.

I saw this, or one very similar last week. While I do find him interesting to listen to, I find some of his claims a little dubious. And to paraphrase myself, when he talks about Atmos and dtsX I feel like he’s Henry ford telling me why not to buy a Buick.
But indeed. There’s an a$$ for every seat!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis