Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I understand your point. For me, I only heard of them a few weeks ago.
I'm sure if they perform well in this review it will only help them to get noticed.
A) you can't buy what you don't know.
B) not enough information on these guys yet. (not that i've seen)
C) the subs I looked on their site are just as pricey as mine shipped.
D) i'd like to see more info posted on the FWs site.

Depending on which one you own, I bet you paid close to,the same or more.
A track record plays into the overall purchase as well.

As I said before,i'm looking forward to the FWs review. (I can always use another sub :) )
The point is that difference between Funky Waves and the rest of the "commercial" world is that they offer custom built products with a variety of drivers that are without a doubt the most linear and accurate, and at the same time delivering the highest output / SPLs measured... I am strictly talking about TC-Sounds drivers for those not in the know.

The key here is that if you'd been in the game long enough you'd already know what many of the DIY crowd has seen measured and tested time and time again.... For the same price as say - Paradigm Signature Sub25 - you can get a 18" LMS with a 4000w amp that will have roughly 2 times the displacement and even better SQ to boot... They offer these drivers in their builds that any other way to get them, you would have to design and build it yourself. You will not find a driver that performs at the level of TC Sounds drivers - period, end of statement... Also of note here is that TC-Sounds is now building smaller - ie.. 12" and 15" versions of the Linear Motor Technology (LMS) Here is a link to a massive index of tested subs and guess what it all comes down to - the TC-Sounds 18" LMS is the benchmark all other drivers are measured against... http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/6015-index-subwoofer-tests-manufacturer-model.html

I think their pricing structure is fair and I have seen a number of the products they have built - they offer a ZERO COMPROMISE design and build with extremely high end components - and true dedication to the design, testing and build the best anyone could ask for, with some absolutely stunning craftsmanship.

Knowing this from their history - I asked Nathan @ Funky Waves to build me a custom 18.0 box for one of my LMS drivers, cause it just don't get any better then that...

Last edited:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
The point is that difference between Funky Waves and the rest of the "commercial" world is that they offer custom built products with a variety of drivers that are without a doubt the most linear and accurate, and at the same time delivering the highest output / SPLs measured... I am strictly talking about TC-Sounds drivers for those not in the know.

The key here is that if you'd been in the game long enough you'd already know what many of the DIY crowd has seen measured and tested time and time again.... For the same price as say - Paradigm Signature Sub25 - you can get a 18" LMS with a 4000w amp that will have roughly 2 times the displacement and even better SQ to boot... They offer these drivers in their builds that any other way to get them, you would have to design and build it yourself. You will not find a driver that performs at the level of TC Sounds drivers - period, end of statement... Also of note here is that TC-Sounds is now building smaller - ie.. 12" and 15" versions of the Linear Motor Technology (LMS) Here is a link to a massive index of tested subs and guess what it all comes down to - the TC-Sounds 18" LMS is the benchmark all other drivers are measured against... http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/6015-index-subwoofer-tests-manufacturer-model.html

I think their pricing structure is fair and I have seen a number of the products they have built - they offer a ZERO COMPROMISE design and build with extremely high end components - and true dedication to the design, testing and build the best anyone could ask for, with some absolutely stunning craftsmanship.

Knowing this from their history - I asked Nathan @ Funky Waves to build me a custom 18.0 box for one of my LMS drivers, cause it just don't get any better then that...
I gather the curved box really caught your fancy (I love that particular design myself:eek:) and will you be replacing the SubMersive with this unit or have you found another use for it? You do know we'll love to see some pic's in due time....:).

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I am a bit surprised that the Canadians aren't flocking to a maker like Funky Waves, if only to avoid the higher shipping/brokerage/duties fees they get socked with when buying a US sourced sub. They seem to be very under the radar, which isn't a bad thing if they are putting out quality product with drivers like the LMS series. Hopefully a review like this will get their name out there into the A/V world's collective consciousness (assuming it's positive of course :D)

One thing I will say is, their website leaves a lot to be desired. I don't feel I have enough information available to make an informed decision. I am not the type that would just look at one source of information, but I'd like the company's website to give me a nice starting platform for what their product does. SVS and Rythmik have real good websites IMO, and HSU/eD's aren't bad either. The Seaton website is a bit clunky, being in web forum format, but there's lots of good info on there. With FW, I'm not sure about:

• What kind of drivers are being used? If they are something off the shelf like TC Sounds, why not say that to trigger a little name recognition?
  • For the 12.x, is a plate amp being used or a pro amp? A quiet fan upgrade for $50 leads me to guess pro amp. If I have the option of getting an amp with my sub or not, I need a lot more info than just RMS power.
  • I could use a lot more info/images with regards to finishes. If I'm going to be spending $2200 or $2900 on a sub like their 18.0, I want to be damn sure I have some idea of how it's going to look before hand. Salk Sound does a fabulous job showing prospective customers what their veneers look like on their speakers. While I wouldn't expect the same image libraries as a speaker maker like Salk, I feel FW could do something like this.
  • Some charts or other objective info would be helpful. That might be difficult for a smaller manufacturer to obtain, but would be more helpful than a bullet point saying "high output down to 18 hz". But I guess we'll get that once the review is out, right? ;)

I am looking forward to their review, even if they are a bit out of my price range. :(

Maybe if they are really good, I'll have to up my budget (again). :p

C

clouso

Banned
For me also i have just heard from FW a week or 2 ago and didnt even know they existed....when i looked on the FW website there was a sub that was really interesting for instance the FW15.2 but then again it cost more then the VTF-15H i ordered...even with the shipping it will be close to the same price....sorry but here in Canada i find ridiculous the price of speakers and subwoofers we must pay even from Canadian manufacturers.....that is why i finally sold a paradigm to get a cheaper one yet better so that in the future if i wanna buy a second one it wont cost me 3000$ damn dollars again!...

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I gather the curved box really caught your fancy (I love that particular design myself:eek:) and will you be replacing the SubMersive with this unit or have you found another use for it? You do know we'll love to see some pic's in due time....:).
Yes - I do love the curved cab, but got the option of rounded corners on top and bottom all the way around as well, powered by external amp I already have.... Always loved the look of paradigms, but I wasn't going to pay that kind of money, when I could spend less and get better SQ.... I'm just not as experienced in building those boxes, so I'll pay to have it done right...

Haven't figured out what I'm goin to do with the Submersive just yet...

Last edited:
C

clouso

Banned
I started a thread over at AVS a while back for Funky Waves, and there is some info over there worth checking out...

I don't like linking to other sites, but maybe someone could start a thread here for Funky Waves to allow discussion here, and maybe get answers directly from them here....... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19338362#post19338362
thx warp for the link...but in my case its already too late to change my mind the vtf-15h is ordered and on its way...but who knows soon again i might sell and buy again...but maybe i will love the hsu too much to sell it too...we will see..lol

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
For me also i have just heard from FW a week or 2 ago and didnt even know they existed....when i looked on the FW website there was a sub that was really interesting for instance the FW15.2 but then again it cost more then the VTF-15H i ordered...even with the shipping it will be close to the same price....sorry but here in Canada i find ridiculous the price of speakers and subwoofers we must pay even from Canadian manufacturers.....that is why i finally sold a paradigm to get a cheaper one yet better so that in the future if i wanna buy a second one it wont cost me 3000$ damn dollars again!...
Clouso, I understand your POV when it comes to Canadian made speakers but you can't use that arguement for Canadian manufacutured subwoofers. The likelihood that the 12.x or 15.2 being every bit as good as the others mentioned in this shootout remains to be seen but the money you invested remains the same coming outta pocket. So then why pay an additonal shipping toll once the product enters our Country since you've already paid one when purchasing the product form a US based mfg. For me this was unexpectable because with that additonal charge...your talking about a 50% hit on a $900 subwoofer...:rolleyes:.

Ps: What if the Canadian dollar was about 75-80 cents against the American greenback. Can you imagine the cost then!;):)

I still respect your decision and or opinion..

Regards, Bill....:)

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Yes - I do love the curved cab, but got the option of rounded corners on top and bottom all the way around as well.... Always loved the look of paradigms, but I wasn't going to pay that kind of money, when I could spend less and get better SQ.... I'm just not as experienced in building those boxes, so I'll pay to have it done right...

Haven't figured out what I'm goin to do with the Submersive just yet...
So, your doing 3/4" roundovers nice...I was given that option too but I liked the 1.5" roundover around the top and bottem edges makes the sub look a bit smaller...WAF...you know;).

C

clouso

Banned
Clouso, I understand your POV when it comes to Canadian made speakers but you can't use that arguement for Canadian manufacutured subwoofers. The likelihood that the 12.x or 15.2 being every bit as good as the others mentioned in this shootout remains to be seen but the money you invested remains the same coming outta pocket. So then why pay an additonal shipping toll once the product enters our Country since you've already paid one when purchasing the product form a US based mfg. For me this was unexpectable because with that additonal charge...your talking about a 50% hit on a $900 subwoofer...:rolleyes:.

Ps: What if the Canadian dollar was about 75-80 cents against the American greenback. Can you imagine the cost then!;):)

if i knew about FW before maybe i would already have one of their subs maybe 2 already......thats what i meant in all......

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic

4 1/2 years ago I bought a Porsche and had it shipped up from the States.
(from your backyard Warp lol)
The cost difference between a US car vs a CDN car was 10k cheaper. That's after I paid shipping/broker/taxes/duty/dollar difference and dealing with RIV etc.

If our prices were even close I would have bought here but for a 10 grand difference...

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
4 1/2 years ago I bought a Porsche and had it shipped up from the States.
(from your backyard Warp lol)
The cost difference between a US car vs a CDN car was 10k cheaper. That's after I paid shipping/broker/taxes/duty/dollar difference and dealing with RIV etc.

If our prices were even close I would have bought here but for a 10 grand difference...
Btw...4.5 yrs ago our dollar was ~75 cents vs the US dollar...:D

But hardly an apples to apples comparison I'd say...but point taken....;)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
if i knew about FW before maybe i would already have one of their subs maybe 2 already......thats what i meant in all......
Clouso you don't need to aplogize for anything...my friend.:) I looked into shipping a sub from the US but finanically it never made sense to me. That is why I searched for another option and came across FW in doing so. Hsu at one time had a Canadian retailer here in Canada but no longer:(. Svs is another viable option ...but even the VTF 15h with added shipping charges will cost less than the Svs pb12 plus when ordered from sonicboom(Canada), once you factor in shipping and taxes. :)

Regards, Bill....

Last edited:
C

clouso

Banned
there is one other thing in my desision...i was getting pissed off of changing subs every years or so the HSU will be my 6th sub in 5 years i think and this time i wanted to go with an already well established and trusted subwoofer manufacturer and i think HSU RESEARCH is one of them.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
there is one other thing in my desision...i was getting pissed off of changing subs every years or so the HSU will be my 6th sub in 5 years i think and this time i wanted to go with an already well established and trusted subwoofer manufacturer and i think HSU RESEARCH is one of them.

This is exactly the reason I started into my journey into DIY, trying to learn all that was learn-able after buying a few SVS Plus/2's and seeming always wanting for more in output as well as cleaner, tighter SQ, which then lead me away from ported and into sealed. It has been a fun knowledge filled journey buying raw drivers and designing my own products... bouncing back and forth from commercial to DIY forums really got me thinking that it was do-able. I started with building my own enclosures, but with the latest rash of designs and less and less time on my hands - I had no problem contracting the boxes out to more experienced craftsmen.

That is where Funky Waves bridges the gap IMO....

Last edited:
C

clouso

Banned
This is exactly the reason I started into my journey into DIY, trying to learn all that was learn-able after buying a few SVS Plus/2's and seeming always wanting for more in output as well as cleaner, tighter SQ, which then lead me away from ported and into sealed. It has been a fun knowledge filled journey buying raw drivers and designing my own products... bouncing back and forth from commercial to DIY forums really got me thinking that it was do-able. I started with building my own enclosures, but with the latest rash of designs and less and less time on my hands - I had no problem contracting the boxes out to more experienced craftsmen.

That is where Funky Waves bridges the gap IMO....
i will see the results with the HSU and the tunings but im quite sure i will end up sealed ...i love the tightness of sealed...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
How long has Funky Waves been in business?
I had not heard of them until this Ultimate Shootout thread!

Do the shipping/duty logistics make them viable competition for US customers? Or only for their most expensive products where shipping becomes a smaller percent of the total tab.

I'm not asking for myself so much as to understand their position and potential in the market (both US and CA).

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
In business from 2002.... see my thread I linked too.

I first came across them over at HTS delving into DIY, and first work I saw from them was when Ricci won a custom build from them.... He went with a 25cuft net box tuned to 11hz.... with a RE XXX 18" driver

Here is a documented thread of that build over at AVS... gorgeous looking box...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1033905

C

clouso

Banned
In business from 2002.... see my thread I linked too.

I first came across them over at HTS delving into DIY, and first work I saw from them was when Ricci won a custom build from them.... He went with a 25cuft net box tuned to 11hz.... with a RE XXX 18" driver

Here is a documented thread of that build over at AVS... gorgeous looking box...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1033905
warp if i may ask you...what is the difference between a custom driver DIY and a custom driver from a manufacturer?...dont they build their own drivers too?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis