Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I thought this thread was about subwoofer reviews

Not about silly wannabe standup comedians who have no self respect and that's not even slightly funny......
there's another thread you may look at called 'Jokes... Heard any good ones lately?'........ but beware the jokes must be good :p

Matt34

Matt34

There we go. :) The one Ive been waiting for. Be nice if the reviewer posted THD,GD #'s and measurements at half power as well. ;) Not just max #'s at the point of compression. Hopefully measurements are given with the subsonic filter on/off and the extension/damping controls(lo,med,high/14,20,28hz)at the different settings. The sub has ALOT of tweak controls, hopefully they are covered in full detail. Either way, can't wait to check it out. Just picked up a vented FV to give it a try. Have a number of Rythmik's sealed units and they have been nothing short of outstanding.
If going off the first review it's probably going to be tested in only one setting.

S

Sepen

Junior Audioholic
If going off the first review it's probably going to be tested in only one setting.
I don't know why he would take the time and effort and then only measure in one setting when some of these subs can be configured so many different ways.
It is like taking a 1080P Plasma and then only watching 480P on it.(if that can be done?)

Matt34

Matt34

I don't know why he would take the time and effort and then only measure in one setting when some of these subs can be configured so many different ways.
It is like taking a 1080P Plasma and then only watching 480P on it.(if that can be done?)
Probably because it does take a lot of time and effort to run all the tests in just one setting, not to mention repeating those same tests for four different subs. Imagine how many configurations that is total. The HSU alone has five different tuning options.

Each tune would require the following measurements:
-Frequency Response at Various Output Levels
-Distortion Tests
-Max SPL Output Data for multiple frequencies

etc....Not to mention time involved in listening tests for each tune. It's no small undertaking to do these kind of measurements.

ntrain42

ntrain42

Junior Audioholic
Agree 100%.

C

clouso

Banned
It will give us a very good idea and perspective anyway i think...stop beeing so demanding and sever on those guys!... in fact they are doing this for us...would or could you make those tests?...shheech:rolleyes:

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yeah, Gene must have not received the PAYCHECK you guys sent for COMMISSIONING these reviews in the first place. :rolleyes:

HexOmega

HexOmega

Audioholic
An online A/V Magazine with a "Showcase Home" that can't be bothered to do multiple measurements because of time constraints...seriously?

S

Sepen

Junior Audioholic
It will give us a very good idea and perspective anyway i think...stop beeing so demanding and sever on those guys!... in fact they are doing this for us...would or could you make those tests?...shheech:rolleyes:
It was only a plead for more, don't you ever want more? Or are you always satisfied with the status quo? :)

And yes, it will give us an inkling of what they are capable of. For that I am most appreciative.

S

Sepen

Junior Audioholic
yeah, Gene must have not received the PAYCHECK you guys sent for COMMISSIONING these reviews in the first place. :rolleyes:
Why so cynical? I was only stating that it would have been nice to be more of an in dept review. With that said I think that once all the reviews are in, it will be a most entertaining read, and for the effort put forward I am thankful.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Why so cynical? I was only stating that it would have been nice to be more of an in dept review. With that said I think that once all the reviews are in, it will be a most entertaining read, and for the effort put forward I am thankful.
Wow, you need more in depth review than what you get here :eek:
Perhaps pigs will fly too......

G

gajenn

Audioholic Intern
Howdy to the guys doing the reviews, how about posting the results already, there is no need to take this long guys..please just clean up whatcha got and post it already,this is getting absurd..please.......

S

Sepen

Junior Audioholic
Howdy to the guys doing the reviews, how about posting the results already, there is no need to take this long guys..please just clean up whatcha got and post it already,this is getting absurd..please.......
I am not touching this with a 10' sub cable! ;)

D

devounoste

Audiophyte
I agree 100%. I understand the desire to submit a quality review but it shouldn't take this long.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I betcha Gene didn't think it would take so long:rolleyes:. All the data and testing was compiled during the month of October and we're lead to believe the prospective reviews would likely follow in late November/or early December...then after X-mass...blah blah blah. Speaking for myself here....I certainly was very excited about hearing the news regarding this shootout way back in August but this has really become anti-climactic for me to say the least.:(

So take all the time you need....
Regards, Bill....

A

alligatorman

Audiophyte
I betcha Gene didn't think it would take so long:rolleyes:. All the data and testing was compiled during the month of October and we're lead to believe the prospective reviews would likely follow in late November/or early December...then after X-mass...blah blah blah. Speaking for myself here....I certainly was very excited about hearing the news regarding this shootout way back in August but this has really become anti-climactic for me to say the least.:(

So take all the time you need....
Regards, Bill....
Just give us the damn numbers, all the subjective stuff is personal preference anyway.

We can determine the value based on the numbers and the personal 'favorites' based on the words.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis