are most audioholics ultra-rich billionaires?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
just wondering, cause as I browse these forums I see people with PS3's, 10,000+ sound systems, woofers alone that cost an average american family's 2 month salary, etc. Most people in the world would be content with a 50 dollars HTiB from wal-mart or something, and if they were to save for an entry level sound system, it would take them months for one component. People here seem like they drop thousands a month, and are at the bleeding edge of technology. :confused:
Welcome to Audioholics!

The average family in the USA earns something like $40K a year - so I promise you that the average people here do not have a woofer that runs $7,000+. That doesn't mean that some members don't have very expensive components and some guys here DO have the cash and disposable income for true top shelf gear.

But, as said, many people take this as a very serious hobby and are willing to dish a lot more than the 'average' family on their A/V gear. The average family is happy with the $2.00 speakers that are built into their televisions from Wal Mart. Yet, more and more people are switching to plasma and LCD displays as well as micro-display rear projection units (DLP/LCD/LCoS). Those often cost $1,000 or more... which many 'average' people are saving up and purchasing.

So, when it comes to home theater and surround, they often want the best value for their money and to know how much to spend. Many people here have spoken highly of surround setups that cost right around $1,000 - which may take a person a few months... or even a year... to save up for, but then delivers quality when it is in place.

I know with my stuff I work side jobs to pay for my toys. Fortunately, side work has been good this year so I will likely be able to afford a few thousand dollars in upgrades this year. Or... I may just get a new car. ;)

FYI: My woofer? $3,000+ new at MSRP. My price? $1,400 on eBay... traded in (via eBay) $1,200 of speakers I had purchased over the prior 4 years... my final cost? $200. Taking time and looking for values is a lot more critical for some than it is for others.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
just wondering, cause as I browse these forums I see people with PS3's, 10,000+ sound systems, woofers alone that cost an average american family's 2 month salary, etc. Most people in the world would be content with a 50 dollars HTiB from wal-mart or something, and if they were to save for an entry level sound system, it would take them months for one component. People here seem like they drop thousands a month, and are at the bleeding edge of technology. :confused:
Hey Pinkpaul,
Most people in the world wouldn't know what to do with HTIB, let alone a 10,000 dollar system. Your statement, seems to me, a loaded question. Audioholics by nature are just that audioholics, this is their passion. There are audioholics all over the world not just in the US that spend inordinate amounts of money on their hobby. Hong Kong and China are well known for their love of electronics, those that can afford it buy the expensive eye-candy gear, they also spend prodigious amounts of money on watches and jewelry. Those that can't are like the rest of us, if this hobby is their passion, they'll save 'till they can afford what is within their reach. I'm a strong believer in this: if your money was earned legally spend it as you see fit. If the kernel of your statement is guilt (for spending money that can be used to feed the third world) you won't find any guilt here.:)

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Average HT System

The Average Joe also thinks that those Bose cubes are the ultimate HT system. I know several people who have spent $2-4k for one of those systems. Audioholics is for people who want to spend that kind or money on their HT and actually have it sound good. With the amount people are willing to spend on a new LCD or plasma display, it is probably reasonable to buy something better than the $99 Walmart HTIB.

nav

nav

Audioholic
For better or for worse, I've become relatively content and complacent in a job where I make very much less than the average person. (I hope to change that soon, but I've meant to do that numerous times before and just never followed through.) So, where do I get the money to buy the things I buy? I don't own a car. Sum up all that you spend on your car, driver's insurance, and fuel: that's my secret little source of income. It's not a huge sum of money, but it's enough for my hobbies.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
If I had all the money I've spent on cars, booze, table dances and all manner of other dumb things, I could have a system that few could rival. I'm fortunate to have a job that pays well enough to cover the stupid things I do. I have to believe that A/V as a hobby is more cost effective than some of the other things I've done.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Buy a 2 year old car instead of a new car next time you're car shopping. You've just saved $20,000 and can buy all the HT stuff you could ever want.

Its completely insane what people pay for cars these days, like the guy at Subway™ earning just above minimum wage buying a new Subaru WRX.

Come to think of it, its pretty bad banks would allow people with such income to buy a WRX. 72month loans...... ick!

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Buy a 2 year old car instead of a new car next time you're car shopping. You've just saved $20,000 and can buy all the HT stuff you could ever want.

Its completely insane what people pay for cars these days, like the guy at Subway™ earning just above minimum wage buying a new Subaru WRX.

Come to think of it, its pretty bad banks would allow people with such income to buy a WRX. 72month loans...... ick!
I'm with the program now. I've had two car payments constantly for at least the last twelve years, including at various times Mustang convertibles, SVT Cobra, Camaro SS, Lincoln Mark VIII, et. al., plus a number of older cars, '67 Chevelle, '64 Continental, '77 & '79 Lincoln Mark V's, Fiat Spider, et. al.

The lease on my Dakota has two more payments and I'm replacing it with a '93 Town Car. I'm going to have one car payment (wife's car, not the Town Car) for the first time in over a decade. A/V stuff is cheap in comparison to cars, as hobbies go.

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
i remember when i bought my bose 1801 power amp back in 1980 at $600 used 250watts a side.in 1980 that was alot of money,i saved 2 months for that thing and that useing bag lunches,no macdonals here,i also gave up 1 night a weeks beer money,but i finally got it and the {earthquack feel} i got from it made it all worth it.now im back to macdonals.:D

B

Buckeye_Nut

IMO.... this thread was started by a young kid. I dont have anything against kids, but I think when you consider that perspective, I can see why he might feel that way.

my 2 cents...

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I would guess college - he mentioned living in a dorm room in another thread.

P

pinkpaul

Enthusiast
IMO.... this thread was started by a young kid. I dont have anything against kids, but I think when you consider that perspective, I can see why he might feel that way.

my 2 cents...
Nope, I'm a 26 year old medical student at UNR struggling to scrape by on my current salary. ;) In the future I'll have enough cash to buy an ultimate system (hopefully), but I was just curious about the various people on these forums, and being a tad bit satirical at the same time.:)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Nope, I'm a 26 year old medical student at UNR struggling to scrape by on my current salary. ;) In the future I'll have enough cash to buy an ultimate system (hopefully), but I was just curious about the various people on these forums, and being a tad bit satirical at the same time.:)
Med student? Well that explains it. Are you into the 6 figures in student loans yet?

But yeah. Once you get working and get those student loans paid off, you'll be sitting pretty.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Someday you'll be driving to work in your $65,000 german car and you'll pass a store window advertisment for 'surround sound from just $199!' and you'll say to yourself, "Who buys that cheap garbage?".

Now if you're really rich you buy stuff like $47,000 wristwatches. Surround-Sound is a peasant hobby.

B

Buckeye_Nut

......and to think I always thought you had to be smart to get into med school:rolleyes:

Based on your first post in this thread, it seems that your posts dont read much like med student material.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Get back to studying!!! :D Taken your boards yet? :eek:
Couldn't pay me enough money to do Step I again. As far as MD income, it keeps going down and insurance costs keep going up; it's still better than the average US salary, but a lot of people don't realize that most MD's now don't make the "doctor dollars" like was the case 10-20 years ago. There are many more Toyota's and Nissan's or just regular SUVs (not those luxury BMW or Lexus SUVs) than there are Porsches, Mercades and BMW's in the hospital physican parking lot. I'm doing primary care, so I'll never have a huge bank account, but I rather enjoy what I do and stay happy than make $200K a year and hate it.

Just got my monthly statement/bill for my med school loans in the mail today... at least I've found that the more I pay on it the more I get back in taxes. otherwise, I look forward to the day it's gone (it will be a few years).

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
......and to think I always thought you had to be smart to get into med school:rolleyes:
Actually you might be right, looking back I think if somebody was smart, they'd know better than to go into medicine and go to the business school instead!!! :D

P

pinkpaul

Enthusiast

Based on your first post in this thread, it seems that your posts dont read much like med student material.
Do you always troll like this? I don't know what I did to set you off, but wow... Perhaps I wasn't exactly in my "smart to get into med school" mode, and was simply trying to ask a question. Thanks to all the people that answered my inquiry appropriately. Well, I won't feed the troll any longer, can a mod or admin please lock this thread?

D

Driving_Hamster

Audiophyte
I recently graduated from my residency last July so my advice is to hang in there man!

For anyone who might be wondering my student loan debt is $182,000 (and change) and the cost of med school has gone up a decent amount since then. Everytime I open up my student loan bills it makes me want to vomit a bit.

I still shop around extensivly for deals with my AV equipment. Everyone loves a bargin no matter how much cash you have.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Over the years I've spent considerable time and money on wine, women, sailing, and A/V. The rest I've squandered.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis