are most audioholics ultra-rich billionaires?

P

pinkpaul

Enthusiast
just wondering, cause as I browse these forums I see people with PS3's, 10,000+ sound systems, woofers alone that cost an average american family's 2 month salary, etc. Most people in the world would be content with a 50 dollars HTiB from wal-mart or something, and if they were to save for an entry level sound system, it would take them months for one component. People here seem like they drop thousands a month, and are at the bleeding edge of technology. :confused:

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
just wondering, cause as I browse these forums I see people with PS3's, 10,000+ sound systems, woofers alone that cost an average american family's 2 month salary, etc. Most people in the world would be content with a 50 dollars HTiB from wal-mart or something, and if they were to save for an entry level sound system, it would take them months for one component. People here seem like they drop thousands a month, and are at the bleeding edge of technology. :confused:
Dude, you're obviously not reading too many of the posts. There are lots of people here, (myself included), that know the value of a dollar, and look for bang for the buck items. Look at my system, almost every piece was bought at below retail price.

Mitsubishi TV - $900, sale at Fry's
Denon 2805 - $500 off eBay
Panasonic S77 - $150 off eBay
Boston VR2's - $300 for the pair, sale at Magnolia
Boston VRX's - $150 for the pair, sale at Magnolia
CSW Center - $200, sale at CSW outlet
Earthquake sub - $350 bought directly from distributor

Sure there are people that spend an obscene amount of money on their HT's, and more power to them if they can afford it. But if you do your research and look around, it's definitely possible to put together a great system without going into debt.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am not a billionaire; I just play one on TV.

I am nowhere near “rich” but I do set aside “play money” for things like my HT hobby. I have only spent 6 or 7K on my set up but I will have to take one less vacation this year because the play money went to the HT.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What you have to realize is that the people that frequent these forums on a daily basis. To them this is a hobby, this is entertainment, this is their way to relieve stress, and their way to express themselves.

Much like anyone else that has a hobby. Look at bowlers with 2-6 bowling balls, and shoes that costing hundreds of dollars each. When most people rent shoes, and use a house ball.
Look at boaters that spend more then some houses cost. And then spend hours waxing, polishing, and shining everything. Most people don't even wax their cars.
Anyone that has some sort of collection of Plates, Swarovski, LLadro, Toy Trains, Paintings, or anything else. Some people have thousand invested in items like these. But to them it's a form of entertainment and something that brings them enjoyment.

It all has to do what interests you. Remember "Another Mans Junk, Might be Another Mans Treasure".

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I am a college student who spent nearly a year saving up for my system and used my birthday money and tax refund to get the thing. Plus I got most everything at cost...

I have not read about anyone who is really that willing to blow their money on this forum very often.

In comparison, I'd say we're downright frugal... But sales numbers indicate that people buy $800 receivers, so we review them...

Now, we ARE ramping up entry level products reviews... so stay tuned.

PS. I defy anyone to find a $50 complete HTiB at Walmart... I have seen them for $99, though. For $99 it would have to give you electric shocks and burn down your house for it to be a bad deal. At $99 it basically just has to turn on and last for at least 6 months.

superstar

superstar

Junior Audioholic
I think that if you like/love something, be it the type of clothing/food/hobbies/activities/accesories/etc. you are going to end up buying the best that you can afford now or in the long run, you work to live, (some are more fortunate than others but comparing is not going to make it better) and you should treat yourself for doing so otherwise you will be living just to work, imagine working until you are 65 years old when the life expectancy in the US is at around 77 years old for men? http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lifexpec.htm then what would you do with all that money saved up after you retire? having only 12 years left? (giving that we do live until the average age) Carpe Diem anyone? :)

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
PS. I defy anyone to find a $50 complete HTiB at Walmart... I have seen them for $99, though. For $99 it would have to give you electric shocks and burn down your house for it to be a bad deal. At $99 it basically just has to turn on and last for at least 6 months.
Strangely enough, my friend had a HTIB made by Insignia from Walmart ($99 I think) catch fire. Fortunately, their 8 year old was in the room and smart enough to turn everything off and get mommy. :eek:

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I think bang for the buck and value are the prevailing themes in these forums. While yes you do see some individuals with over the top systems, I would consider most of them to be mid-level (from a responable standpoint). It may cost thousands of dollars, but many (I would even gander most) have built their systems up over many years.

I still have the speaker system I bought 9 years ago. My screen for my projector is 7 years old. I'm still using my Yamaha DSP-A3090 from 10 years ago and my Sony DSP-S7000 DVD player (both in the living room). For my main dedicated HT I have projector (Epson 550) that I was able to get below cost (it retails for $2500), a Pinoeer DVD player I spent $119 and my receiver I got as a floor model on a going out of business sale at 1/2 off with no remote (Denon 3805).

Yes I have a dedicated HT in the basement of my house, but due to cost I did all the work my self. Started as a bare basement with concrete walls and floor. I did 12 months of research (thanks audioholics :D ), took out a 12 month free financing credit card deal from lowes to buy all the materials (i.e. 2X4's, 2X6's, drywall, suspended ceiling components, Cat 5e, RG-6, 12/4 romex) and then spent 9 months as a contractor, framer, electriction, etc.

So I would agree with all the statements said - this is a hobby, a way to relieve stress, etc. But I beleive everyone here is looking for the best deal to meet their needs. I'm not sure I have heard of anyone here owning a Runco or Vidikron projector or Snell speakers.

majorloser

majorloser

Interesting that you would feel that way. Most of the questions that are posted here are, "How to get (insert equipment) cheaper?" or "Do I really need to spend a lot of money to have a good system?" or "I have (fill in the blank) dollars to spend, What do you suggest?"

For the most part all of the answers will be from other members posting how to get the most "bang for the buck". And there is a lot of dispelling myths about snake oil products.

And for the record, my wife and I have made choices in our lives that have lead up to where we are now. We are middle class average income.

I sure do wish I was a billionaire......at the very least a milionaire! :rolleyes:

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
To many this is a hobby. So it takes a while to build up what they have. It's taken me 3 years to finally get the speakers I initially wanted. I did it one speaker at a time. Components are the same for me. The reciever I have was destined from the start to end up in my bedroom. So I bought something I could afford until I am able to get something else for the HT. Same thing with my tv.

It's all about your priorities. If it's important to you, you'll find a way to come up with the money. Addicts in general always seem to be able to come up with the money to support their habits. I eliminated certain unneccesary expenses and put some cash aside every week. No more Starbucks coffee, made mine at home and took it with me. No more going out for lunch, again made it at home. No going to the movies, rode my bicycle to work instead of driving, etc...

Jack

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Another part of the expense of this hobby may be the insane "upgrade-itis" that you get once you get into A/V. Once you start building your system, you always need "Just one more upgrade", even if the wife told you she'll leave if you come walk in the door with another Player/Reciever/Speaker, etc. :D

mr-ben

mr-ben

Audioholic
My car is over 8 years old. Many people lease or buy a new car every 2-3 years. They're spending a lot more on their car than I do on my living room. They're not billionaires either. It's just a matter of priorities.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Another part of the expense of this hobby may be the insane "upgrade-itis" that you get once you get into A/V. Once you start building your system, you always need "Just one more upgrade", even if the wife told you she'll leave if you come walk in the door with another Player/Reciever/Speaker, etc. :D
No shiznit. I just bought a Rythmik sub kit, (can't wait to put that bad-boy together), even though I already have 2 subs. I'm probably going to upgrade my receiver in the near future because of HDMI. And now I want better speakers after listening to J Garcia's homemade GR's, (Damn you John!). I swear it's never-ending.

I used to be the same way with my Mustang. Whenever you have a hobby, I doubt that you ever get to a stage where you're "finished".

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry man, but that is how this hobby is (all of them? :D ). There is always something better...or something else to add :)

My car is paid for and I do 90% of my own work on it, so not dropping big $$ there. I used to have big fat car payment, but I realized all the things I could be doing without that payment and the insurance...

I also wait patiently for the best deals I can find and jump on them like a rabid dog... My PS3 and my receiver are about the only things I paid retail for. Not to mention it isn't like I bought the whole thing at once, it took me a couple of years of upgrading one or two items at a time to get where I wanted to be.

Most people in the world would be content with a 50 dollars HTiB from wal-mart or something
You are not talking to "most people" here :) The majority of people that come here are looking for info on how to get the most for their money and select products wisely. An education on what to look for is absolutely invaluable.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Well i guess i'd be one of the audiophiles even though i dont freak out over cables & all that other jazz & i am not rich but i have alot of expensive equipment & a pretty good size collection of expensive vintage equipment.

Three things i have always refused to do was to buy anything at MSRP,weather it be hifi gear,cars,homes,tv's ect i refuse to buy anything that isnt a smoking deal where i am assured to get all my money back plus a profit should i decide to sell,sometimes it takes quite a bit longer to get what you want or need buying this way but you save a ton of cash being patient.

The 2nd thing i refuse to do is to buy anything expensive brand new,cars,motorcycles,hifi gear,speakers ect,i buy all used items where the seller took a huge loss & is now in a rush to have the latest & greatest whatever,then i step in with cash & take advantage of the sellers rush to sell what they have now in order to go finance something new.

The third thing is that i flat out refuse to buy anything over a few hundred dollars that will become valueless within a few years,its better to spend 3 or 4times as much & buy something of better quality with proven resale value like harley davidson's for motorcycles,Mcintosh for electronics.

So to answer your question as to how i get all my expensive gear,im patient & i wait & take advantage of other peoples greed,stupidity & their rush to have this years model whatever.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
You ride your bike to work in Chicago?!?!? What do you do in the winter?
If it's above freezing and not snowing or pouring rain I ride ~6.5 miles each way. It's not that bad. Once you get moving your body generates a lot of heat. Otherwise, I take the train there, then catch a ride home with some one. Currently I'm a student so I ride the train for free. But I prefer to ride my bike, I like riding and the exercise is good for me.

Funny thing is timewise it takes me ~about 25 minutes each way to ride my bike vs 23min on the train or ~20 min by car. Plus I don't have to pay for parking or risk a ticket.

I worked it out that by not driving I save about $1,300 a year between gas, parking, city stickers, regisration, and insurance. That's that much more I have to put toward one of my hobbies.

Jack

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
If it's above freezing and not snowing or pouring rain I ride ~6.5 miles each way. It's not that bad. Once you get moving your body generates a lot of heat. Otherwise, I take the train there, then catch a ride home with some one. Currently I'm a student so I ride the train for free. But I prefer to ride my bike, I like riding and the exercise is good for me.

Funny thing is timewise it takes me ~about 25 minutes each way to ride my bike vs 23min on the train or ~20 min by car. Plus I don't have to pay for parking or risk a ticket.

I worked it out that by not driving I save about $1,300 a year between gas, parking, city stickers, regisration, and insurance. That's that much more I have to put toward one of my hobbies.

Jack
Wow. Good deal. If I lived close enough to work to ride a bike, I probably would too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis