American audio industry may suffer a blow..

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
You are right, we don't need an audio industry in the USA since it is not critical to human survival. I guess we can just shut down this industry without having to worry about it. It's only thousands of jobs for a hobby that hundreds of thousands of people have a passion for. But I am sure that whatever damage is done is well worth whatever vague end point that Trump is after, which isn't likely anything more than the appearance of toughness.
Your taking what I said to the extreme

...if a few extra dollars on a speaker makes it unattainable, then that person probably shouldn't have been making the purchase in the first place...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Really curious to see how much will trickle down to consumers. Just because a products tariff was increased by 15%, it does not mean the company will increase the consumers cost by 15% dont get me wrong, prices will most likely go up, but were talking 1st world problems on audio equipment (my $1000 sub may now cost $1100, really?) 1st world problems with majority of consumer goods, a bunch of garbage we don't really need but hey we have $ so we'll buy it.
I think a lot of the media is creating havoc on the consumers because they (consumers) have no clue how tariffs work. "CNN said I'll never be able to afford solar panels due to the tariffs" quiet down, 'you' weren't going to buy them in the 1st place.
End costs on say, new home construction, that's going to mostly be affected by market value, not the cost of materials, new home construction goes up every year regardless.
Do you have any clue how tariffs work? How is the media creating havoc? The orange one is creating more havoc...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Your taking what I said to the extreme

...if a few extra dollars on a speaker makes it unattainable, then that person probably shouldn't have been making the purchase in the first place...
Speakers are already a low margin item. And raising the prices will inevitably drive down sales. And a 25% tariff will raise prices by considerably more than a few dollars. Why would you even try to justify the trade policy of an addle-brained criminal president? You seriously believe any good is going to come from this?

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Do you have any clue how tariffs work? How is the media creating havoc? The orange one is creating more havoc...
I work in distribution. Looking into possibly getting a customs broker license but I'm getting tired of this industry. (Mostly, the jobs available in my area are weak pay, I'd rather switch to medical coding)

Apparently you have been around the scene once or twice Haha, it was good to see someone post HTS numbers and all.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Speakers are already a low margin item. And raising the prices will inevitably drive down sales. And a 25% tariff will raise prices by considerably more than a few dollars. Why would you even try to justify the trade policy of an addle-brained criminal president? You seriously believe any good is going to come from this?
With now a 25% tariff, what's the % increase over the old tariff...
Not tying to justify. Just highly doubt we will no longer be able to afford speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I work in distribution. Looking into possibly getting a customs broker license but I'm getting tired of this industry. (Mostly, the jobs available in my area are weak pay, I'd rather switch to medical coding)

Apparently you have been around the scene once or twice Haha, it was good to see someone post HTS numbers and all.
Got my broker's license in '78. Been around the block in the field a coupla times. Wouldn't go back to it these days. Having a license doesn't mean what it used to.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
With now a 25% tariff, what's the % increase over the old tariff...
Not tying to justify. Just highly doubt we will no longer be able to afford speakers.
Well, we don't have very high duties on much of anything now (altho some apparel/textiles still have some significant ones but not like it used to be) so if a 25% tariff is put in effect it's likely a huge increase over the old one :) If punitive tariffs on speakers or amps etc go up 25% on first cost, it will snowball a bit by the time it hits the consumer...

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Well, we don't have very high duties on much of anything now (altho some apparel/textiles still have some significant ones but not like it used to be) so if a 25% tariff is put in effect it's likely a huge increase over the old one :) If punitive tariffs on speakers or amps etc go up 25% on first cost, it will snowball a bit by the time it hits the consumer...
A few of our products are going from 10% to 25, so a 15% increase. But that's the extreme where I am, and its limited. So a markup of course will most likely happen, but it wont be made up on only those products. So yay everything gets a markup, just like any other year. But as you said before, there are always exceptions, credits, adjustments, and so on that can be filed, especially if you know someone in DC. The big players can get hurt big time, but only if they are not smart enough to use the resources around them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A few of our products are going from 10% to 25, so a 15% increase. But that's the extreme where I am, and its limited. So a markup of course will most likely happen, but it wont be made up on only those products. So yay everything gets a markup, just like any other year. But as you said before, there are always exceptions, credits, adjustments, and so on that can be filed, especially if you know someone in DC. The big players can get hurt big time, but only if they are not smart enough to use the resources around them.
Expand on your experience with what I didn't say about "exceptions, credits, adjustments, and so on that can be filed, especially if you know someone in DC". I mentioned drawback which has been around forever and is indeed a tool exporters can use to their advantage for even US produced items as well as imported items....

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Expand on your experience with what I didn't say about "exceptions, credits, adjustments, and so on that can be filed, especially if you know someone in DC". I mentioned drawback which has been around forever and is indeed a tool exporters can use to their advantage for even US produced items as well as imported items....
Well not the if you know someone part, thought it was you that pointed out a few exemptions and all that are available. But at 700 responses, no way am I searching for it lol. From what I understand, depending on what the goods are (say necessity vs want, luxury item) you may be able to lower the tax. Bad short example but it's been in the news recently, should women have to pay a tax on feminine products? Do they need it or is it a luxury item?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well not the if you know someone part, thought it was you that pointed out a few exemptions and all that are available. But at 700 responses, no way am I searching for it lol. From what I understand, depending on what the goods are (say necessity vs want, luxury item) you may be able to lower the tax. Bad short example but it's been in the news recently, should women have to pay a tax on feminine products? Do they need it or is it a luxury item?
LOL you have a long way to go for a broker's license. There have been some US companies in some affected industries applying and getting exemptions to some of the tariffs and this procedure, while open to all, is somewhat politicized as to what is granted by the current administration.

ps End use isn't really a factor

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
LOL you have a long way to go for a broker's license. There have been some US companies in some affected industries applying and getting exemptions to some of the tariffs and this procedure, while open to all, is somewhat politicized as to what is granted by the current administration.

ps End use isn't really a factor
That's why I mentioned DC. I mean it IS all about politics in the end. Of course you know better than I do, just something I heard from around a bush.
Try to sway use of product, if you have the ties, use em, and you know d@mn well those top tier companies do.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's why I mentioned DC. I mean it IS all about politics in the end. Of course you know better than I do, just something I heard from around a bush.
Try to sway use of product, if you have the ties, use em, and you know d@mn well those top tier companies do.
Some just cheat by misdeclaration and undervaluation games, too. Lobbying of course does work, especially when you install a fancy swamp in the WH.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Some just cheat by misdeclaration and undervaluation games, too. Lobbying of course does work, especially when you install a fancy swamp in the WH.
The swamp started years ago.

*decades

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

*decades
True that, but we now have a president that promised to drain the swamp!
What has he done to "drain the swamp"?

From my perspective, he has installed his own swamp in the WH on top of letting the DC swamp continue to thrive!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

*decades
So? The orange monkey promised to drain the swamp, not elevate to a new high....but his fans apparently don't care about such, they like the swamp. A little graft goes a long way in the republican party, eh?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
While I agree BUT, even small businesses are money hungry. Why must we rely on production in China to fuel the industry...o wait, cheap labor so they make $$$ off consumers.
And some businesses aren't run with gobbling up money as the object, yet they're still seen as greedy.

Should a business not profit from their operation, or would you prefer t hey operate at break-even? If the latter, son't expect them to have the latest & greatest or to even know anything about it because training and updating knowledge takes time so, if it's on company time, it costs money. If you think employees should learn about their products and services on their own time, I suggest that you tell them this so you can experience their reaction.

People don't want to pay top dollar for all of the crap they want (or, even the good stuff). Low priced goods mandate low cost which, if you haven't noticed, is impossible when wages are high. This is lost on unions and their members- they strike for higher wages and then buy foreign goods because the stuff made in the US is too expensive.

Can't have it both ways, kids.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So? The orange monkey promised to drain the swamp, not elevate to a new high....but his fans apparently don't care about such, they like the swamp. A little graft goes a long way in the republican party, eh?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This thread inspired us to look more closely into this situation and write an article about it.

The president’s escalating tariff war is wreaking havoc on American businesses that rely on Chinese manufacturing and supply chains. The results are higher prices for consumers, and real risk to small audio businesses, which may not be able to survive in the current climate. Makers of consumer loudspeakers, wireless headphones, high-end audiophile electronics, and professional recording gear are beginning to speak out about how these tariffs are affecting their businesses.

Could this spell the end of the American-made loudspeaker manufacturing business that may have no choice but to produce MORE not less of their products overseas to offset the costs on tariffs for globally sourced parts?

View attachment 26756
Read: Trump Tariffs are Bad for the Audio Business
I just saw the reaction to this article on the facebook page... yeesh! Facebook, man... always a convenient tool for shattering your faith in humanity..

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I just saw the reaction to this article on the facebook page... yeesh! Facebook, man... always a convenient tool for shattering your faith in humanity..
Yea 200 comments many from people that sadly didn't actually read the article and just made ASSumptions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis