A Salk fan-boy takes action

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
For years I've been an ardent Dennis Murphy and Jim Salk fan-boy here at AH. I've frequently urged others to listen to and buy their speakers. And yet, I've only put my money where my mouth is once. Back in 2007, I bought a new pair of Salk SongTowers. OK twice, a number of years later, I bought a SongCenter to go with them.

For a number of years, I've always drooled over the Salk HT2-TL speakers. In my view, they were as near perfection as I've heard. Unfortunately their size, the cabinet depth and footprint, make them impractical in my family room. Their price isn't low, but I've heard plenty of other speakers that cost 3-5 times more that don't deliver better sound. More recently the Salk Veracity ST speakers were introduced. They have a SongTower's footprint with ~90% of the HT2-TL's sound. They use the Seas W16 woofers instead of the ST's ER15s or the HT2-TL's W18s.

After some fortunate and long-awaited developments in personal finances, I've come to the point of taking my hands out of my pockets – and acting. Earlier today I ordered a pair of Salk Veracity STs :D :D :D.

They will have fully veneered fronts with hardwood edges, in ropey curly cherry, like these Veracity STs,

but in a lighter colored finish like these SC SongTowers (note the smaller woofers)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
What are you going to do with those crummy old ST's when you get your new toys? :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats on the new purchase. :) I'm sure you will be very happy with them.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
What are you going to do with those crummy old ST's when you get your new toys? :D
I will be selling them after the new speakers arrive, sometime later this summer.

I will be looking for a good home for them, for the right price.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'd be seriously tempted, but then I'd have nothing to do with the customs Dennis did for me. That takes me down to moderately tempted.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'd be seriously tempted, but then I'd have nothing to do with the customs Dennis did for me. That takes me down to moderately tempted.
Keep that thought. Note that these are Highly-prized Vintage SongTowers. They were among the first 10 that Jim built when they were first introduced in August 2007.

Right now I don't have the shipping cartons that they came in, so I must wait for the new Veracity STs, which happen to use the same boxes.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I like the new Salk Site, however I wish the sound defaulted to 'off'. Auto sound on websites can be annoying at times. Anyone know what driver the Salk/Rythmik subs are using? The DS1510 hopefully?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I like the new Salk Site, however I wish the sound defaulted to 'off'. Auto sound on websites can be annoying at times. Anyone know what driver the Salk/Rythmik subs are using? The DS1510 hopefully?
I don't know. I doubt if Jim Salk orders a custom-made driver from Rythmik.

There is an easy way to find out. Ask Jim by email.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats Swerd, those are gonna be awesome!

My favorite part of the new website is the "Available Now" section :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice going, Richard. You have to try using the ST's for surrounds. TLS and YAA can't both be wrong ... could they?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
For years I've been an ardent Dennis Murphy and Jim Salk fan-boy here at AH. I've frequently urged others to listen to and buy their speakers. And yet, I've only put my money where my mouth is once. Back in 2007, I bought a new pair of Salk SongTowers. OK twice, a number of years later, I bought a SongCenter to go with them.

For a number of years, I've always drooled over the Salk HT2-TL speakers. In my view, they were as near perfection as I've heard. Unfortunately their size, the cabinet depth and footprint, make them impractical in my family room. Their price isn't low, but I've heard plenty of other speakers that cost 3-5 times more that don't deliver better sound. More recently the Salk Veracity ST speakers were introduced. They have a SongTower's footprint with ~90% of the HT2-TL's sound. They use the Seas W16 woofers instead of the ST's ER15s or the HT2-TL's W18s.

After some fortunate and long-awaited developments in personal finances, I've come to the point of taking my hands out of my pockets – and acting. Earlier today I ordered a pair of Salk Veracity STs :D :D :D.

They will have fully veneered fronts with hardwood edges, in ropey curly cherry, like these Veracity STs,

but in a lighter colored finish like these SC SongTowers (note the smaller woofers)

I really like their Speakers at AXPONA. Did he give you a discount for the glowing advertisement you just wrote up ;). Enjoy!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Richard, are those the Seas Magnesium Drivers? Sure look like it to me. Congrats on YOUR purchase. Looking forward to some pics!

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats Rich !! Very nice speakers indeed
To add a bit to @shadyJ point about Salk web site redesign - I do like it - it's been dragged out of 20th century into the 21st, however one HUGE issue which I hope will get resolved are MASSIVE page loading times, 10-12 seconds - then it should be 10-12 Milliseconds

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
To add a bit to @shadyJ point about Salk web site redesign - I do like it - it's been dragged out of 20th century into the 21st, however one HUGE issue which I hope will get resolved are MASSIVE page loading times, 10-12 seconds - then it should be 10-12 Milliseconds
Jim Salk just began using that new design page yesterday and is aware of the slow loading problems. He said:

Just a quick note. I have been working on a total site re-design since about the first of the year. We used to maintain about 140 individual static pages. In this site, there is only one product page and, depending on what you ask for, all the data is assembled from a database and served up. The site has not yet been performance tuned and there are probably quite a few typos at this point. But we wanted to get it launched so that we could find out what the issues would be that need addressing. It is a work in progress and we'll spend the next week or so working out the bugs.​

FWIW, the more I play around with it :rolleyes:, the faster it goes :D.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You have to try using the ST's for surrounds. TLS and YAA can't both be wrong ... could they?
Hmm…

I wonder if those wall brackets I use for my rear channel NHT SuperZeros would hold the STs?

D

Don G.

Junior Audioholic
Congrats on your purchase. I couldn't be happier with my HT-3's. I am sure you will love them.

To the guy with the subwoofer question, I can look when I get home and see what driver it is, but I can tell you they are outstanding subs. I have the 15, in fact, mine looks exactly like the first sub pictured in the sub section. Beautiful finish and built like a tank. Much better, tighter base than my 15" Def Tech sub. Rattles the walls during movies but sounds great with 2 channel music as well.

Guy sure makes quality speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis