5.1 Speaker Suggestions

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
@speakerman39 , @rojo, @Roen - Although I'm nowhere near done - just thought I'd take a moment to thank you for the great advice. This has been by far the most engaging and informative forum of all the ones I posted on. Made me think of many more things that should go into my buying decision - and for that I'm grateful!
And yes - pics will come when I finally get them, and also perhaps some thoughts on the result.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
@speakerman39 , @rojo, @Roen - Although I'm nowhere near done - just thought I'd take a moment to thank you for the great advice. This has been by far the most engaging and informative forum of all the ones I posted on. Made me think of many more things that should go into my buying decision - and for that I'm grateful!
And yes - pics will come when I finally get them, and also perhaps some thoughts on the result.
Sounds like you are getting there. I admire the way that you are going about this. Being cautious is a good thing no doubt. Looking forward to seeing your pics and seeing how it all turns out. Nothing like making a well-informed decision. Best wishes! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
N1ght, what did you end up going with? Just curious is all. Looking forward to hearing about your initial impressions. Oh yeah, the pics too......LOL!!!!!! :):D:)

Cheers,

Phil

M

Msujohn

Enthusiast
Did you compare the PSB X1T and PSB X2T to the Wharfedale? Just wondering how they compared. Are you set on choosing the Wharfedale?

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys,

Was out of town on vacation :) and just got back. So haven't made a purchase yet. I might hold off a little longer for financial reasons too. But right now I'd say I'm leaning towards the Wharfedale 240/220/220C as my choice.
@Msujohn I couldn't do a direct comparison between the PSBs and the Wharfedales. No store here that carries both. Honestly - to my ears they all sounded great. Perhaps the PSBs were a bit brighter. I did compare the X2T with the X1T and the X2T definitely go deeper. But they are also out of my budget. One of the things I keep reading about the Wharfies is how non fatiguing they are - and that is a huge selling point for me, and hence the current choice.
Having said that - I got my Dayton Audio Sub-1500 running now, and the improvement to the sound is HUGE! I have the subs volume turned down to less than 50% after running Audessey and its sufficient for my listening purposes. So that has lead me to another question: Would I be better off spending the same money (or lesser) on better quality bookshelfs instead of getting a tower? I haven't done much research on bookshelfs - but was hoping you guys could suggest a few options that I should look at seriously? I crossover to my sub at 80Hz anyway, so maybe bookshelfs on the wall would be a better option?

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
Haha - the more research I do the tougher this gets! I could get the Q Acoustics 3050/3020/3090C for around $1400 CAD all in. This seems to be an extremely good deal. Sigh!!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Haha - the more research I do the tougher this gets! I could get the Q Acoustics 3050/3020/3090C for around $1400 CAD all in. This seems to be an extremely good deal. Sigh!!
Yes it is -- I like Q Acoustics, and the 3020 are really nice, plus the 3090c is one of the better measured centers around.

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
Thanks @zieglj01

I'm in a bit of a predicament, and its not entirely due to audio quality reasons - hope nobody judges me for that :p . I like the Wharfies for sure, but after listening to all the speakers I have realized that despite their varied characteristics to me they all sound great. Also given that I listen to them only 20 mins or so each, there is little I can glean in terms of long term fatigue etc -so I have to put extra weight on reviews, which themselves are quite subjective. And the QAs hold well.
Now, if it comes down plainly to aesthetics and build quality and of course price - I am leaning towards the QAs. Problem is - no stores here carry them, so I cant give them an audition. I have emailed QA to ask them if there are any dealers around here who might have them on hand. Lets see what they say.
In the meantime - Since I got a new sub, I reran Audyssey a few days ago for room correction. I noticed that the pink noise from the left front was significantly louder than the rest of the speakers, because it is located in a corner. The QAs are supplied with port bungs in case you have to place them close to a wall. Would I need the port bungs if I am using a sub anyway crossed at 80Hz? Should I consider crossing it higher at say 100Hz? I also am able to set a different crossover for the different speakers. I'm hoping this makes rear ported towers a non issue when it comes to placement.
Also - QAs are 2 way and the wharfies are 3 way. Should I care? I'm not going to use the lower end anyway...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks @zieglj01

In the meantime - Since I got a new sub, I reran Audyssey a few days ago for room correction. I noticed that the pink noise from the left front was significantly louder than the rest of the speakers, because it is located in a corner. The QAs are supplied with port bungs in case you have to place them close to a wall. Would I need the port bungs if I am using a sub anyway crossed at 80Hz? Should I consider crossing it higher at say 100Hz? I also am able to set a different crossover for the different speakers. I'm hoping this makes rear ported towers a non issue when it comes to placement.
Also - QAs are 2 way and the wharfies are 3 way. Should I care? I'm not going to use the lower end anyway...
A good 2-way speaker can beat a poorly designed 3-way speaker. It is not always about 2 or 3-way. It is about the design and engineering as a whole.

Placement near a corner can increase the sound in that area. You can always adjust the loudness level of the other speaker. Based on your ear and room response, you would have to decide to use port plugs or not. With a sub, I would crossover at 80 hz without the plugs first and then see how it sounds to you; that can work out fine for you. I would use port plugs as a last resort.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks @zieglj01

I'm in a bit of a predicament, and its not entirely due to audio quality reasons - hope nobody judges me for that :p . I like the Wharfies for sure, but after listening to all the speakers I have realized that despite their varied characteristics to me they all sound great. Also given that I listen to them only 20 mins or so each, there is little I can glean in terms of long term fatigue etc -so I have to put extra weight on reviews, which themselves are quite subjective. And the QAs hold well.
Now, if it comes down plainly to aesthetics and build quality and of course price - I am leaning towards the QAs. Problem is - no stores here carry them, so I cant give them an audition. I have emailed QA to ask them if there are any dealers around here who might have them on hand. Lets see what they say.
Generally speaking, what we do best is give you an array of candidates that are all very good.
Only you can properly determine your best option.
I believe you would be very happy with any of the speakers you are now considering.
Generally, ports are tuned to add low frequency extension, so, yes, I believe rear ported towers would be a much smaller issue with the sub and plugging is well worth consideration, but remember if you set them to small, Audyssey will cross them over anyway so the need to plug them should be considered "fine tuning" once you have everything else sorted!.

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
@KEW . Thanks Kurt :). Its now between the wharfies and QAs for me I think. I emailed QA to see what it would cost me to import etc. I recently declared a $250 Sub when crossing the border and was charged $8 in duty+tax. Sweet! Seems like NAFTA is good for audio equipment. lets see what kind of deal i get from QA :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
@KEW . Thanks Kurt :). Its now between the wharfies and QAs for me I think. I emailed QA to see what it would cost me to import etc. I recently declared a $250 Sub when crossing the border and was charged $8 in duty+tax. Sweet! Seems like NAFTA is good for audio equipment. lets see what kind of deal i get from QA :)
Great! You have it narrowed down to great options. I will say once again that I love my Wharfies. But, QA has gotten a lot of attention as of late. Especially, over @AVS. You might want to read up on it more before deciding. Here is a link:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2517105-q-acoustics-owner-s-thread.html

Best wishes my friend! Admire your tenacity! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Its now between the wharfies and QAs for me I think. I emailed QA to see what it would cost me to import etc. I recently declared a $250 Sub when crossing the border and was charged $8 in duty+tax. Sweet! Seems like NAFTA is good for audio equipment. lets see what kind of deal i get from QA :)
Not trying to change your plans, Because the QA 3020 are really nice for the price -- Just for info and maybe for the fun of it, contact AC4L and see how much it would be to ship the Canton GLS 2 speakers. They are really nice/good, and for me they sent the QA 3020 packing. However regardless, the QA 3020 are good and can really make you happy.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantgls2blka/canton-gls-2-6-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-black-pair/1.html

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
@zieglj01 - I did read the other thread where you compare the QAs with many other speakers and then also stated that the Cantons were better :). Been doing a lot of reading - Ive exhausted the internet when it comes to forum discussions of the QAs, Fluahce, Wharfies, Emotivas. Haha. I tried seeing if they are available here in Canada too and found a dealer. The posted price for a Canton GLE470.2 (towers)/GLE455.2(centre)/GLE420.2(bookshelves) comes to around 2K canadian. i.e I'll probably be able to get them for the same price as the wharfies. should I give them a shot? They seem to be available only in black though....but if they are seriously superior i might make the case with the wife :). Couldnt find the GLS....

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
@zieglj01 - Been doing a lot of reading - Ive exhausted the internet when it comes to forum discussions of the QAs, Fluahce, Wharfies, Emotivas. Haha. I tried seeing if they are available here in Canada too and found a dealer. The posted price for a Canton GLE470.2 (towers)/GLE455.2(centre)/GLE420.2(bookshelves) comes to around 2K canadian. i.e I'll probably be able to get them for the same price as the wharfies. should I give them a shot? They seem to be available only in black though....but if they are seriously superior i might make the case with the wife :). Couldnt find the GLS....
Your right, it even wears me out.:)

The GLS is really a closeout/discontinued speaker -- The GLS seems to have gotten lost in the mix. The Chrono is what they are pushing and staying with.

I am not really drawn to their entry level GLE speakers. For you, I would maybe stick with the QA or Wharfedale -- however if you get a chance to audition the GLE then test them, they may float your boat.

Last edited:
N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
I messaged QA a couple days ago regarding the duties etc. Haven't heard back yet - which is odd. You'd think they would respond quicker. Anyways, once I do hear back, I think I'll be ready to take the plunge! Wish me luck..... :cool:

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I messaged QA a couple days ago regarding the duties etc. Haven't heard back yet - which is odd. You'd think they would respond quicker. Anyways, once I do hear back, I think I'll be ready to take the plunge! Wish me luck..... :cool:
They usually answer with-in 24 hrs and they are closed on the week-end -- so you may hear from them tomorrow -- if not, you may want to call them

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
Well.... They responded back and provided me with no clarity at all.

"the shipping costs calculated at checkout do not include any customs fees or taxes that might be charged at delivery by your country. We apologize as we are not sure if customs fees would be charged at delivery, nor the estimated amount. However, we do advise checking with Canadian Customs ahead of time."

Given that the US is the distribution hub for the US and Canada - something they touted in their coming out press release, and they probably have had a few Canadian customers already, its pretty lame that they have no clue as to how much it would cost. I'm doing some research on UPS now to see what it might end up being...

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
So..Im gonna provide a little bit of an update - but with a rant up front.
When I built my shopping cart at Q Acoustics the 3050 was listed at $629 - before a 10% discount code. And it had a UPS shipping option that was $200 cheaper than USPS ($130 vs $340). Since I wasn't sure about the duties/taxes, i set about asking Q about it and got no clarity and then I had to ask UPS about the charges etc. Once I was done and ready to place my order guess what? The 3050's are now 699 and there is no UPS shipping option anymore! So I asked Q again what happened and I must say that their customer service has been severely lacking. Basically I was told that sorry its 699 - take it or leave it and they don't use UPS international shipping - which was odd because it was there just a day before. I called them too, and the agent said it would come back on sale for 629 sooner or later, but the email support said they cant afford to sell it at 629 (without the discount code) any more.
Anyways - while I was waiting on a response from the online support, I found a shipping company that transfers stuff across the border for a fee and figure that its cheaper to go that route instead of shipping directly to Canada. But since I havent tried this before , I am being cautious. So the good news is: the 3020s and the 3090C are on their way to Niagara! Hopefully I'll have them in my hands by end of this week - and if all goes well I'll put in an order for the 3050s.
Wish me luck guys!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Anyways - while I was waiting on a response from the online support, I found a shipping company that transfers stuff across the border for a fee and figure that its cheaper to go that route instead of shipping directly to Canada. But since I havent tried this before , I am being cautious. So the good news is: the 3020s and the 3090C are on their way to Niagara! Hopefully I'll have them in my hands by end of this week - and if all goes well I'll put in an order for the 3050s.
Wish me luck guys!
As the Audio World Turns -- hope everything works out for you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis