5.1 Speaker Suggestions

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some buying advice for an upgrade to my 5.1 setup. I've been doing a lot of reading and I have sort of narrowed it down to the list below. But before we begin:
I have attached a room layout for reference. It includes listening heights, and areas and the diagram is pretty much to scale.
FamRoom.jpg

Currently I have an Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1 system with a Denon AVR -X2200W Receiver in a 20 x 15 x 8 room. As you see in the diagram, because of room constraints, my surround speakers are placed in the back and not on the sides.
I use the system the following way:
70% of the time, its music. I have both stereo and multichannel music. Depending on how I like the sound, I may listen to stereo music in Surround (receiver does that). I listen to MCh music either in direct/pure direct or sometimes in Music Surround (usually a volume related choice). Music wise I have eclectic tastes, but most frequently we are looking at Rock/Heavy Metal. Mostly I listen at a conversation volume, but I'd like the option to blast once in a while. Also, I like my vocals/dialog to be clear and not overwhelmed by bass. But not harsh.

I have narrowed down to the list below, my budget being $2000 Canadian. Also. I will have a Dayton Audio Sub-1500 sub (not included in the 2000) to go with any of the options below. I have 3 placement options as per the diagram - not done the crawl yet.
From a review perspective - its hard to choose between these I feel, they all have some compromises. So lower price is my first option. However, I don't mind going higher if there will be significant improvement in sound quality. I would love to hear your opinions on what I should go with and why. Not looking for anyone flaming any of the speakers chosen here - there are plenty of people who have any one of these and are very happy. I'm looking for more technical/practical reasons of why I should pick one over the other, because I cannot give all of these an audition. However, if you have a suggestion that's not in this list - please feel free to add!

Fluance signature with bipolar surrounds: $1228
Elac Debut: 1800
Emotiva Airmotiv T1/C1/E1 - $1775
Kef Q700/Q200/Q100 - $1745
SVS prime tower 5.1 - $2199
Polk RTiA9/CSiA4/FxiA6 - $1799
Wharfedale diamond 230/220C/210 - $1547
Aperion Intimus 4T/4C/4B - $1200
Aperion Intimus 5T/5B/5C - $1650
PSB Imagine X1T/XC/XB1 - $2100

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some buying advice for an upgrade to my 5.1 setup. I've been doing a lot of reading and I have sort of narrowed it down to the list below. But before we begin:
I have attached a room layout for reference. It includes listening heights, and areas and the diagram is pretty much to scale.
View attachment 21887
Currently I have an Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1 system with a Denon AVR -X2200W Receiver in a 20 x 15 x 8 room. As you see in the diagram, because of room constraints, my surround speakers are placed in the back and not on the sides.
70% of the time, its music. I have both stereo and multichannel music. Depending on how I like the sound, I may listen to stereo music in Surround (receiver does that). I listen to MCh music either in direct/pure direct or sometimes in Music Surround (usually a volume related choice). Music wise I have eclectic tastes, but most frequently we are looking at Rock/Heavy Metal. Mostly I listen at a conversation volume, but I'd like the option to blast once in a while. Also, I like my vocals/dialog to be clear and not overwhelmed by bass. But not harsh.

I have narrowed down to the list below, my budget being $2000 Canadian. Also. I will have a Dayton Audio Sub-1500 sub (not included in the 2000) to go with any of the options below. I have 3 placement options as per the diagram - not done the crawl yet.
From a review perspective - its hard to choose between these I feel, they all have some compromises. So lower price is my first option. However, I don't mind going higher if there will be significant improvement in sound quality. I would love to hear your opinions on what I should go with and why. Not looking for anyone flaming any of the speakers chosen here - there are plenty of people who have any one of these and are very happy. I'm looking for more technical/practical reasons of why I should pick one over the other, because I cannot give all of these an audition. However, if you have a suggestion that's not in this list - please feel free to add!

PSB Imagine X1T/XC/Alpha B1 - 1800
That's a nice diagram of your room. Thanks for sharing. That should help elicit more relevant advice I think.

Of that list, I find the Emotiva Airmotiv, the KEF Q series, and the PSB Imagines to be the most interesting. They are the ones I believe will have the most neutral, most faithful response. I'd probably give the edge to the Airmotivs for the dispersion offered by their AMT tweets.

I've read the Fluance are pretty impressive for the money when you get a good set, but I'm wary of their consistency. However, Fluance does seem eager to make things right for the cases where customers receive defective products. The Elacs seem overrated to me. SVS Prime, the measurements hint that more attention was paid to the finish over the tuning (in stark contrast to their more prodigious Ultra series). Polk, not a fan. Wharfedale, although respectable, doesn't quite compete with the three favored ones above. And the Aperion Intimus would just make me wish I had the Verus Grands.

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
Haha - yes..Friday...and it looks like I had time to kill :p.
Thanks for the feedback, and the help with narrowing it down. Those are definitely on top of my list now, and I'll keep the Fluances as a fallback if I'm poorer than I think.
Thanks Rojo - much appreciated!!

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
A couple other questions come to mind - given that I don't have surrounds and am using just rears, would bi-pole surrounds be a better choice?
Subwoofer placements - any choice seem better? Again, I would do the crawl to make a final decision..
Also - forgot to add in the diagram - listening distance is around 13 ft at the couch..and more at the desk

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
A couple other questions come to mind - given that I don't have surrounds and am using just rears, would bi-pole surrounds be a better choice?
Subwoofer placements - any choice seem better? Again, I would do the crawl to make a final decision..
Also - forgot to add in the diagram - listening distance is around 13 ft at the couch..and more at the desk
70% music, right? Normally, I'd think monopole speakers would be better than bipole for music. But with your placement restrictions, a more diffuse sound from the rear might be preferable. Hard to predict.

For sub placement, again, hard to predict. You might add the lower right corner of the diagram to your list with a small footprint sub like an svs cylinder sub. Corner loading can help with sub bass extension. Near field positioning right behind the couch can take a bit more patience to integrate into your system to avoid directionality, but it can be done.

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
Thanks again Rojo. I don't think that corner is viable since its across a doorway. I'd have to run the cable across and there no pretty (read spouse-approved) way to do it. Also, thanks for that feedback. I have monopole energy takes right now and they sound pretty good. So, I wont make bipoles a higher priority than they need to be.
Now I need to figure if I wanna do the KEFs vs the Emotivas :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I like the KEFs. I also like the Fluance Signature speakers. PSB has a good reputation, as does Aperion and ELAC. From my own experience I would probably lean toward the KEFs or Fluance speakers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I lean towards Emotiva and PSB -- Also check for the Q Acoustics 3050 tower speakers, and they measured good.

M

Msujohn

Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

View attachment 21887

PSB Imagine X1T/XC/Alpha B1 - 1800

I am looking at several of these options as well. I'd love to know what you end up choosing? I also currently have the energy classic system.

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
So - I had a chance to check out the KEFs - and during that I got a chance to check out the PSBs. I felt the PSB was much superior to the KEF in terms of clarity, but pricewise its quite a bit higher (i updated it in my original post)
@rojo - For the surround speakers for PSB, should I go with the X1B bookshelf or the X Alpha which are cheaper? Seems overkill to get a full bookshelf to use as surrounds when for many people a bookshelf is a good front if mated with a subwoofer.
@Msujohn - for sure, I'll post updates. Just letting you know that this is probably a 3 month project for me - I'm looking to buy around the holidays.

M

Msujohn

Enthusiast
So - I had a chance to check out the KEFs - and during that I got a chance to check out the PSBs. I felt the PSB was much superior to the KEF in terms of clarity, but pricewise its quite a bit higher (i updated it in my original post)
@rojo - For the surround speakers for PSB, should I go with the X1B bookshelf or the X Alpha which are cheaper? Seems overkill to get a full bookshelf to use as surrounds when for many people a bookshelf is a good front if mated with a subwoofer.
@Msujohn - for sure, I'll post updates. Just letting you know that this is probably a 3 month project for me - I'm looking to buy around the holidays.
I think if you listen to a lot of multi channel music the x1b would be better. If you don't i'm not sure I'd spend the money on them.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
If you listen to choral or symphonic, go with the better surrounds. There is some antiphonal music where performers surround the audience. In any case, it's better to err on the side of too good. Just remember, if you make the right purchase now, this set of speakers could last you 20 years or more, possibly the rest of your life and handed down as heirlooms. It's not like buying a $1500 TV that will be either obsolete or dead in 5 or 6 years. Same goes for your subwoofer. Limp along on that Dayton until you can save enough for a Funk Audio sub. :)

How much difference would there be in cost with the C3 center instead of the XC? The C3 as a 3-way design will probably offer clearer dialog for the times you do watch movies.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Since the OP's preference is on 70% music both in stereo and multi-channel, then I recommend the Wharfedale speakers listed above. In fact, right now over at musicdirect the OP can get a set of the 230 towers, the 220 C center, and the 220's for only $1,117 shipped! Please note that the 230 towers and the 220's are in a rosewood finish whereas the 220 C is in black. Furthermore, the OP could use the 210's as rears which are in rosewood and save an additional $40.

Highly recommend if the OP prefers a more warmer sound signature. I love my 220's and Dentons and they hold their own just fine with any of the brands mentioned here. My preference is nearly 100% music! Just saying... Here are some links for the OP to consider:

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/wharfedale-diamond-230-tower-speakers-rosewood-demo

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/wharfedale-diamond-220-bookshelf-speakers-rosewood-demo

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/wharfedale-diamond-210-bookshelf-speakers-rosewood-demo

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/wharfedale-diamond-220c-center-channel-speaker-black-demo

BTW, the 220's have plenty of low end/bass and can be placed right up against a wall due to the plinth design. That is, the bass is vented via the bottom. As such, the 210's would work very well as rears so why not save some money and use the rest towards a better/more capable sub, no? The OP has mentioned a budget for the Wharfedale option at $1547. By going with open box deals he can save at least $430! Here is a review of the Wharfies the OP may find interesting:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-220-speaker-system-review

Best wishes to the OP in making a well-informed decision. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Hi Everyone,

View attachment 21887

PSB Imagine X1T/XC/XB1 - $2100
Have you thought about Border Mail and US Internet Direct companies? Should be able to come in well south of 2000 CAD with a Chane 3xA2.4,2xA1.4, shipped to the border, picked up and duty paid on them. Heck, if you spend 48 hours in the US, you could ever bring the majority back duty-free. You're looking at $1170 + border mail fee + duty and will be comparable or better than most of the speakers in your list.

I currently am in Toronto and had a similar debate, between the KEF LS50 and the Ascend Sierra-2. Internet Direct ended up winning out, even though all-in costs were very similar.

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
Thanks guys - a lot of information to chew on and I will be continuing my research. As an update - I checked out the Emotiva's and was very pleased with what I heard. Plus, I'll probably get it at a price better than what I've posted - so they are definitely inching towards the top of my list.
@speakerman39 - I will try and audition the Wharfedales sometime in the next few weeks

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks guys - a lot of information to chew on and I will be continuing my research. As an update - I checked out the Emotiva's and was very pleased with what I heard. Plus, I'll probably get it at a price better than what I've posted - so they are definitely inching towards the top of my list.
@speakerman39 - I will try and audition the Wharfedales sometime in the next few weeks
Sounds like you are well on your way to getting things narrowed down. Lots of good advice here. Just keep at it and you will get there. I applaud your approach as there is nothing better than making a well informed decision. Well, except getting a killer deal too! :D:D:D Best wishes! Please keep us all informed and as always pics are a BIG help!

Cheers,

Phil

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
Another question - With the Emotiva's I have the option of going either with the B1 bookshelves (rear ported) or the E1 which is front ported. Specs wise the B1s are better and I can have them for pretty much the same price. But will this eliminate an option to wall mount the speakers? What If I get a wall mount kit of some sort? Even if I use a stand - I'd probably get only 10 inches from baffle to rear

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Another question - With the Emotiva's I have the option of going either with the B1 bookshelves (rear ported) or the E1 which is front ported. Specs wise the B1s are better and I can have them for pretty much the same price. But will this eliminate an option to wall mount the speakers? What If I get a wall mount kit of some sort? Even if I use a stand - I'd probably get only 10 inches from baffle to rear
I would lean towards the B1 -- and a wall-mount like this
https://www.amazon.com/Halter-Adjustable-Mounting-Surround-Rotation/dp/B01HBY4GXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503443985&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=speaker+wall+mount&psc=1

N

N1ghtcrawl3r

Audioholic Intern
Hey everyone - one more "hypothetical" question coming up, but I do understand the answer can be quite subjective.

If I decide to update my budget by around 500 - 1K Canadian, this would let me move up 1 rung in the speaker shootout. For example - instead of the PSB X1T, I would be looking at the X2T. It would also add perhaps Paradigm monitor 9v7s or 11v7s and equivalent speakers into the list. Dali Zensor 5 is another that comes to mind.

My question is - is it worth it? I obviously cant afford anything higher end that those - even hypothetically :D. However, would I be better off with the current list than spending the extra cash to get something almost sonically no different? Or would the I hear things in this new rung that I wouldn't be able to in my previous selection?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hey everyone - one more "hypothetical" question coming up, but I do understand the answer can be quite subjective.

If I decide to update my budget by around 500 - 1K Canadian, this would let me move up 1 rung in the speaker shootout. For example - instead of the PSB X1T, I would be looking at the X2T. It would also add perhaps Paradigm monitor 9v7s or 11v7s and equivalent speakers into the list. Dali Zensor 5 is another that comes to mind.

My question is - is it worth it? I obviously cant afford anything higher end that those - even hypothetically :D. However, would I be better off with the current list than spending the extra cash to get something almost sonically no different? Or would the I hear things in this new rung that I wouldn't be able to in my previous selection?
Ultimately, I believe your ears will be the most authoritative source to answer that question. If increasing the budget is an option, I'd focus the added budget on the subwoofer if I were you, maybe an SVS PB-2000. Contact Sonic Boom and ask whether they have any B stock available.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis