4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard some very mixed reviews about Prey.
Most of the movies in the Predator franchise are not particularly good but the new is surprisingly decent.
First, I love the old Native American setting. Love it almost as much as those Vikings settings and "Dark Ages" settings.

2nd, I love strong female leads - love it.

But other than that, I think the story, script, acting and directing of "Prey 2022" are just bad. Okay, not THAT bad when compared to most of the Predator movies, but bad compared to other good movies.

I think the IMDB rating of 7.3/10 is just overhyped. I would give it a solid 6.0. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
First, I love the old Native American setting. Love it almost as much as those Vikings settings and "Dark Ages" settings.

But other than that, I think the story, script, acting and directing of "Prey 2022" are just bad. Okay, not THAT bad when compared to most of the Predator movies, but bad compared to other good movies.

I think the IMDB rating of 7.3/10 is just overhyped. I would give it a solid 6.0. :D
Now they need to do Predator going against the Vikings, then skip ahead and do Predator in the Renaissance period, and then to top it off Predator vs The Wild West! :p

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Have you ever seen Pathfinder with Karl Urban? It has both Vikings and Native Americans. I'm biased because I like Karl, but it's a great movie. I need to see if there's a 4k release now that I think about it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Have you ever seen Pathfinder with Karl Urban? It has both Vikings and Native Americans. I'm biased because I like Karl, but it's a great movie. I need to see if there's a 4k release now that I think about it.

Yes, I have seen "Pathfinder" 2K about a dozen times. I love Vikings and Native American settings. I also like Moon Bloodgood a lot. :D

And no, "Pathfinder" is not available on 4K. Otherwise, I would already have it. :cool:

On my wishlist for 4K: TRON Legacy, Pathfinder.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now they need to do Predator going against the Vikings, then skip ahead and do Predator in the Renaissance period, and then to top it off Predator vs The Wild West! :p
Oh man, I can't believe no one has thought of Predators vs Vikings! That would be so cool.

But please hire an excellent writer (like Christopher McQuarrie and Michael Finch) and an excellent director (like Joseph Kosinski). And for the love of gods, please hire good actors (not that they have to be Academy Award winners). :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Being from Norway, well, this is not that smart nor intelligent. But hey, whatever floats your boat. ;)
Why would a Sci-Fi about Predators vs Vikings NOT be intelligent?

Predators want to hunt the BEST WARRIORS. I thought Vikings were considered to be among the best warriors?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Why would a Sci-Fi about Predators vs Vikings NOT be intelligent?

Predators want to hunt the BEST WARRIORS. I thought Vikings were considered among the best warriors?
My pardons, but Vikings had tiny, very tiny, sorry excuses, for their nonexistent peckers. Their great achievement was to plunder Great Britain of pretty women!

This is really true: look at all the ugly women in GB!

Old joke. :D

Sorry, well, perhaps. I’m Norwegian, so what did you expect?

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Could have sworn “Prey” was not labeled HDR on the Apple TV 4K the other day but just watched it in HDR10, though it was only 5.1. Good time. Those movies aren’t master pieces but they are damn cool and each one is a fun watch.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
“Day Shift 2022” = vampires, zombies, babes, kung fu, guns and brainless fun.

PQ - Superb. Extremely colorful/vibrant. Every version looks like HDR because the colors look so vivid. The movie was shot with the 8K resolution Red Comodo digital camera, no naturally the PQ is superb.

ATMOS - I can’t recall much overhead sound effects, so probably just another Fakemos.

Writing/Directing/Story: The writer wrote Army of the Dead, Army of Thieves and John Wick 3-5. Expect plot holes with vampire fangs. I guess once you turn into a vampire, you automatically become Bruce Lee. :D

Sum it up: Good and Evil Vampires who can all kick a$$ like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, heavy dose of action, humor and brainless fun. Overall, I was entertained. If someone asked me to re-watch with them, I would say yes. Absolutely no Academy Awards here. If you like vampires, zombies, babes, kung fu, guns and brainless fun, this is your movie. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched Heat 4k on Friday night.

PQ was good. The added HDR(approved by Mann) definitely added to the scenes. Blacks were very deep. A bit too much in certain scenes. But overall, I thought the color tone looked great. It's not supposed to be a bright or colorful movie anyways.

SQ was top notch. It's the same 5.1 lossless track from the blu ray. All the shootouts sound amazing. Not sure Atmos would've been that big of a deal with a movie that's majority talking.

Overall, I love Heat and will easily give it 10/10. Directing, story, acting, action, etc... are all top notch.

Watched Sonic 2 last night.

PQ was top notch. Filmed using a 4.5k camera. So, everything was crystal clear and with DV/HDR the colors on all the characters, outfits (Dr. Evil) were very vibrant.

SQ- really good. There were tons of heavy bass moments throughout. Atmos had plenty of overhead use. Things flying around, explosions and background noise.

Overall, I would give it a solid 8/10. It was a fun movie. If you liked the first one, you'll like the second one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched Heat 4k on Friday night.

PQ was good. The added HDR(approved by Mann) definitely added to the scenes. Blacks were very deep. A bit too much in certain scenes. But overall, I thought the color tone looked great. It's not supposed to be a bright or colorful movie anyways.

SQ was top notch. It's the same 5.1 lossless track from the blu ray. All the shootouts sound amazing. Not sure Atmos would've been that big of a deal with a movie that's majority talking.

Overall, I love Heat and will easily give it 10/10. Directing, story, acting, action, etc... are all top notch.

Watched Sonic 2 last night.

PQ was top notch. Filmed using a 4.5k camera. So, everything was crystal clear and with DV/HDR the colors on all the characters, outfits (Dr. Evil) were very vibrant.

SQ- really good. There were tons of heavy bass moments throughout. Atmos had plenty of overhead use. Things flying around, explosions and background noise.

Overall, I would give it a solid 8/10. It was a fun movie. If you liked the first one, you'll like the second one.
Just make sure you watch ”Heat” (or other older movies shot in analog films) first. Then take a long break. Then Watch Sonic2 or any other movies shot with the new 4-8K digital cameras. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched Everything Everywhere all at once last night. If you're into a really good crazy movie, this should be right up your alley.

Was filmed at 2.8k and 3.4k. Filmed in many different aspect ratios 1.33, 1.85, 2.00 and 2.39.

PQ was pretty good. Lots of colors throughout. Went from dark to bright in a lot of scenes. Blacks were good as well.

SQ was decent. I don't feel the atmos channels were used enough. Front 3 had vast majority of sounds coming from them. I heard a few sound effects hitting the surrounds and heights. With everything going on in the movie this could've had a killer atmos track. The bass levels weren't that aggressive either. There were a couple booms throughout, but nothing that would move the house.

Overall, I'm giving the movie a solid 8/10. This is an A24 movie, so if you're not familiar with their catalogue you probably won't enjoy this. But if you are familiar, I think you're going to enjoy this one.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Is everybody ready for House of Dragons!!!

If you have HBO Max, you will be able to stream it in 4k (DV, HDR10 and Dobly Atmos) Looking forward to being back in the world of Westeros. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is everybody ready for House of Dragons!!!

If you have HBO Max, you will be able to stream it in 4k (DV, HDR10 and Dobly Atmos) Looking forward to being back in the world of Westeros. :D
I am ready for sure. Hopes this new GoT lasts 10 years.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Watched Everything Everywhere all at once last night. If you're into a really good crazy movie, this should be right up your alley.

Was filmed at 2.8k and 3.4k. Filmed in many different aspect ratios 1.33, 1.85, 2.00 and 2.39.

PQ was pretty good. Lots of colors throughout. Went from dark to bright in a lot of scenes. Blacks were good as well.

SQ was decent. I don't feel the atmos channels were used enough. Front 3 had vast majority of sounds coming from them. I heard a few sound effects hitting the surrounds and heights. With everything going on in the movie this could've had a killer atmos track. The bass levels weren't that aggressive either. There were a couple booms throughout, but nothing that would move the house.

Overall, I'm giving the movie a solid 8/10. This is an A24 movie, so if you're not familiar with their catalogue you probably won't enjoy this. But if you are familiar, I think you're going to enjoy this one.
I loved this movie. Normally I like odd, but this one was a bit off the rails even for me. I also felt the audio could have been better given how it looked, but it wasn't 4K. I might pick up the 4K disc when it goes on sale.

Oh and:

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I am ready for sure. Hopes this new GoT lasts 10 years.
Wouldn't that be great! I was actually looking forward to that other prequel series that took place over thousands of years before the events of GoT. The time before the Night King. Too bad they scrapped it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wouldn't that be great! I was actually looking forward to that other prequel series that took place over thousands of years before the events of GoT. The time before the Night King. Too bad they scrapped it.
They'll probably make that series AFTER "House of the Dragon" ends in about 10 years. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
They'll probably make that series AFTER "House of the Dragon" ends in about 10 years. :D
Haha, well I'm not sure you'd want this specific series going 10 years. From my understanding, there is only one book from RR martin based on what we're going to see. I wouldn't want this series to go off the reservation like GoT's did and just make seasons to make seasons. I want what's in the book to be presented to me in the series. Once everything has been used I want the series to end. Hahaha. The world RR martin created is so big and has so many different families in it. Next series could be the history of the Starks, the Lannisters and the Baratheons. Each could have their own series. With RR Martin feeding them all the history of course. This type of stuff can go on for the next 20 years! hahaha :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My understanding is there are still a few different offshoot series planned, however with the HBO merger, I am not sure anything that isn't already fully in the works will survive or they will at the very least get delayed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis