4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Watched the new Matrix Resurrections last night. HBOMax stream. Picture looked clean and crisp. Sound was terrible. Very compressed. Very little bass. The physical disc version will fix all of that. My rating for the movie would be 6/10.
In Sweden it's available on HBOMax 45 days after the Nordic movie release, so sometime in February 2022.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just watched Godzilla KOTM. Wow. Great soundtrack. Atmos was very well done, I had sounds everywhere, around and in my room. If I had to pick a nit, it would be that it rolls off from about 25hz. Still, there was plenty of 25hz for fun.
Will watch Godzilla vs Kong tomorrow. Can’t imagine what the ape has for the lizard…

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Malignant 2021.

Video: Excellent. This movie was shot using 4K digital cameras.
Sound: Okay. Nothing worth mentioning

Story/Plot: I was very surprised that I actually enjoyed this movie. As the name suggests, the brain tumor is the antagonist mutant with mutant powers. :D

Cool special effects. Good action. A lot of killing.

SPOILER ALERT BELOW
This is how I want see it: basic one of those siamese twins who share a brain/spine. So the front of the body is the protagonist. The back of the body is evil twin who happens to be a mutant with powers of telekinesis, electricity and super strength and agility. Pretty badass mutant powers.

So they cut out the evil siamese twin (Gabriel), but since the twins share the brain, they cannot remove the brain. They just remove whatever they could. Now Madison/Emily looks completely normal without Gabriel.

But Gabriel is part of Madison/Emily since they still share a brain.

It’s also kind of like Jekyll and Hyde or someone with multiple personalities.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Malignant was a fun movie. Maybe could have been edited a little more but I liked it. :)

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Here is a review of the new Pirates 4k. Some good, some bad.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Here is a review of the new Pirates 4k. Some good, some bad.

Pirates‘ Picture Quality isn’t going to be reference-quality until 2011 (Stranger Tides) when they started using 5K Digital Cameras.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Pirates‘ Picture Quality isn’t going to be reference-quality until 2011 (Stranger Tides) when they started using 5K Digital Cameras.
I don't have high hopes for anything Disney puts out. I'm just surprised that the reviewer actually had good remarks with regards to the ATMOS. Usually Disney sucks at doing sound mixes and usually nails the picture. Looks the complete opposite with Pirates. Which is too bad. Pirates is a great movie and deserved their time to make it looks great. I'm assuming the first one was shot on film, which Disney should have the original negative. Which they could've done entirely new 4k transfer with. They just took the easy route and put DNR in it, added ATMOS and called it good. Don't expect anything more for the following two.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have high hopes for anything Disney puts out. I'm just surprised that the reviewer actually had good remarks with regards to the ATMOS. Usually Disney sucks at doing sound mixes and usually nails the picture. Looks the complete opposite with Pirates. Which is too bad. Pirates is a great movie and deserved their time to make it looks great. I'm assuming the first one was shot on film, which Disney should have the original negative. Which they could've done entirely new 4k transfer with. They just took the easy route and put DNR in it, added ATMOS and called it good. Don't expect anything more for the following two.
They can transfer those old original analog negatives to 4K all they want. I don’t expect any analog films to look as awesome as 4-8K digital cameras, not even 2K digital cameras used for TRON Legacy and Avatar-1.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
They can transfer those old original analog negatives to 4K all they want. I don’t expect any analog films to look as awesome as 4-8K digital cameras, not even 2K digital cameras used for TRON Legacy and Avatar-1.
You should check out what Arrow Video did with the 1966 movie Django. My goodness, one of the best 4K transfers this entire year. Looks like it was shot yesterday. I love film and don’t mind film grain. 4-8k video is cool but they just down sample to 4K and all graphics in those high K movies are all 2k. So in reality there is no reason to go above 4K other than bragging rights and to see super small details that grand majority of people will never see or care about. :D

All I care about with Tron is they they give it damn good Atmos track. Crank that Atmos to 11!! :pPicture is already very good and I don’t see it getting significantly better other than them adding HDR/Dolby Vision to make the colors pop. But with tons of cgi rendered in 2k it won’t be a massive improvement over blu ray.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales 2017 4K Atmos.

PQ: Excellent. Awesome colors. Excellent black levels and contrast. This movie was shot using 4K digital cameras.

SQ: Excellent. I thought the Atmos sound was great.

Funny how I didn’t enjoy this movie when I first saw it at the commercial theaters. But tonight I really enjoyed it. The superb PQ and great SQ was the main attraction for me. But I liked the story and all the characters also.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Eternals 2021 (Marvel), 4K, Atmos, Streaming.

PQ: Excellent PQ, as expected from using 4.5K Resolution Arri-Alexa digital cameras.

Atmos SQ: I had to turn up the volume by about 5dB. But after this fix, SQ was great. Overhead Atmos was Not constantly active, but has enough cool overhead Atmos sound for me to put this movie on my Atmos Reference list. Maybe the BluRay disc will be even better since this was a streaming version.

There are plenty of lengthy moments where one of the MCU gods or celestials would speak and we hear his DEEP LOW Voice of God overhead. I heard at times where the overhead voice would pan from one overhead speaker to another speaker then to another speaker then another speaker.

Story/Plot: I enjoyed the movie. I liked it. But No Oscars awards here. I would say it’s not any worse than any of the Marvel movies, including Black Panther or End Game. Definitely has plot holes like all these MCU movies. But I liked it. :D

Conclusion: Marvels “Eternals 2021” is an entertaining movie with superb 4K PQ and superb Atmos SQ that won’t win the Oscars for Best Picture or Best Director.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Eternals 2021 (Marvel), 4K, Atmos, Streaming.

PQ: Excellent PQ, as expected from using 4.5K Resolution Arri-Alexa digital cameras.

Atmos SQ: I had to turn up the volume by about 5dB. But after this fix, SQ was great. Overhead Atmos was Not constantly active, but has enough cool overhead Atmos sound for me to put this movie on my Atmos Reference list. Maybe the BluRay disc will be even better since this was a streaming version.

There are plenty of lengthy moments where one of the MCU gods or celestials would speak and we hear his DEEP LOW Voice of God overhead. I heard at times where the overhead voice would pan from one overhead speaker to another speaker then to another speaker then another speaker.

Story/Plot: I enjoyed the movie. I liked it. But No Oscars awards here. I would say it’s not any worse than any of the Marvel movies, including Black Panther or End Game. Definitely has plot holes like all these MCU movies. But I liked it. :D

Conclusion: Marvels “Eternals 2021” is an entertaining movie with superb 4K PQ and superb Atmos SQ that won’t win the Oscars for Best Picture or Best Director.
Now I know you're being paid by Disney to write this up! :D :p

You might be the only person to ever say streaming Dolby Atmos for a Disney movie sounded good. Hahaha! :D

You need to watch Dune.

PQ-10/10
SQ-10/10

Movie-EPIC! Can't wait for the Part 2 and possibly Part 3.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I started watching Eternals. I was definitely not impressed. The story was incredibly thin and near meaningless except to setup more movies. Visually looks good, sound is good, but that doesn't make a good movie. The only reason to watch basically was Jemma Chan lol. I get the part about it being like two different movies, but it is actually almost like two completely different stories only connected by the characters.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Now I know you're being paid by Disney to write this up! :D :p

You might be the only person to ever say streaming Dolby Atmos for a Disney movie sounded good. Hahaha! :D

You need to watch Dune.

PQ-10/10
SQ-10/10

Movie-EPIC! Can't wait for the Part 2 and possibly Part 3.
As long as people increase the volume, SQ should be good. I don’t know why they make the volume so low on these streaming movies. I bet the actual movies BD will be even better.

On every scene that you hear the Celestial/god talk in Eternals, assuming you have the Atmos levels to good levels in your system and you saw the entire movie, you will have a BIG SMILE. :D

As far as DUNE 2021 Part-1, yeah I thought PQ was excellent, but nothing to write home about - just not as good as the PQ of the new “FOUNDATION“ TV series or some other movies shot with 4K digital cameras. I thought DUNE Sound Quality was also good, but nothing to write home about that I can recall.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I just upgraded my Pre/Pro at Simply Stereo in Palatine, IL and they have a killer Focal Utopia Home Theater Room 13.2 Dolby Atmos. While I was there, had the opportunity to demo a few movies and music. If you want to really hear what Atmos can sound like and live in IL, I highly recommend checking it out. Some of the demos he had me watch I questioned at first, but samples of "A Star is Born", clearing demonstrated the way you felt like you were in the concert hall. I was never really a fan of multi channel music, but the Atoms version of Eric Clapton he put on, you felt like you were in that room with them.

A big surprise, is he put on a French Nature Blu-ray

https://www.amazon.com/Les-Saisons-Blu-ray/dp/B01B1YQ4HQ/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

A French nature documentary with a Dolby atmos soundtrack that is probably the best way to showcase the tech. It is a constant demo of overhead sounds and while not a 4K disc and not sure if it works in US Players, it still is the best sample I have heard.

Last edited:
SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Just watched the 4k Raiders of the Lost Ark baptizing a new A6A. All I can say is wow and I only have a 5.1.2 setup. The final scene with the open Ark puts right on that island. Can only imagine what it would sound like with 13.2.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lost in Space 2018 TV Series (Netflix).

PQ: excellent PQ. This series was shot using 8K-resolution digital cameras.

SQ: excellent Atmos, especially season 3.

Story/Plot/Writing: each subsequent episode seems to be better than the previous one, and each subsequent season seems to be better than the previous one. Got me addicted. The Atmos sound and awesome PQ are icing on the cake. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis