4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
FOUNDATION TV Series - 8K Resolution Digital Camera

I just saw episode 1 last night. I never read the books, so don’t know anything about this series.

I like episode 1 a lot. I think it is exciting. I like the characters. Seems like a winner.

The picture quality is excellent. Beautiful colors and dark black levels. Again, all movies and TV series should be shot using 4-8K digital cameras. :D

Sound quality is good. I didn’t even pay too much attention to the sound because I was 100% focused on the story, setting, characters and beautiful picture quality.

Will probably watch episode 2 tonight.

Edit: I saw Episode 2. PQ still great, as expected. This time I paid more attention to the Atmos sound. Not much overhead sound that I recall except this one scene where Hari Seldon is looking at the hologram overhead. And the Atmos sound here is great. But I think that's the only scene I recall. :D

I terms of story/writing/directing, etc., I am loving FOUNDATION - both episodes are awesome. Episode-2 is even better than episode-1 to me.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Midnight Mass (Netflix) TV mini-series

I've watched 3 episodes of "Midnight Mass". And I just have to say that the picture quality looks awesome. This series was shot using 4.5K resolution digital cameras (Arri Alexa). The daytime scenes look awesome. The nighttime scenes look awesome. Just fantastic colors and black levels.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Great 2020 TV series (HULU) - awesome Video, good sound.

Video - Excellent. Beautiful looking colors and black levels. This series was shot using 3.4K resolution digital cameras. If you want to show off your TV or PJ, this is another excellent video series.

Sound - seems good. Can't expect too much Surround Sound/Atmos on dramas like these. Actually it sounds a lot better than most of the high-budget Marvel movies in "FakeMOS". Actually, probably better than a lot of movies in general. I saw a little bit of "Marvel's Shang-Chi" and "No Time to Die", and the sound seems lacking.

As for the story - I like it. :D

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
Watching some 4/k/5k YouTube videos now and trying to see if i can tell the difference on my 5k 27" imac.. im glad to say i can.. watched the same video in 4k and 5k and the smoke and leaves from the bush looked crisper and cleaner on the 5k..

too bad YT doesnt support Atmos or any special audio codec, which sucks becuase they probably have the most video content in the world.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yakuza Princess 2021

PQ: Looks great. Vivid pretty colors and deep dark blacks, great contrast. I don’t have the specs on the resolution or cameras, but it definitely looks like it was shot using a 4K Digital camera or equivalent.

SQ: Overall good. I heard some overhead Atmos sound (I think airplanes).

Story: Not the best, but definitely not the worst. Somewhere in between and better than the ratings on IMDB would suggest. Not a straight-forward linear plot, so can be confusing. Overall I liked it and I look forward to (I hope) a sequel. This movie is just an intro and origin story.

But I mainly just wanted to say the PQ looks fantastic for PJ and TV. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Stumbled onto this one, was trying out various older dts discs and found that dts-X applied to Porcupine Tree's DVD-A version of In Absentia disc when using the dts track sounds pretty amazing. It adds another layer to Steven Wilson's excellent 5.1 mix.

Oooh, also Blue Man Goup's DVD-A version of Audio with the dts track sounds great too!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just finished watching Narcos Mexico S03 (Netflix).

The series was shot using 6K - 8K resolution digital cameras.

It has awesome picture quality. Awesome colors and black levels.

SQ was very good overall, but not really made for Atmos special sound effects.

One of the best series I’ve seen (Narcos and Narcos Mexico).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City 2021, 4K, Atmos, Web-streaming

PQ: This movie was shot with 4K digital cameras and mastered in 4K. PQ is excellent.

SQ: Excellent. This is reference Atmos quality. I will put this movie in my list of Reference Atmos movies. You can tell that the sound engineer had a blast mixing this movie. Plenty of cool overhead sounds. I did have to increase the volume. Could be because it was due to the streaming compression. I will definitely re-watch this movie when it comes out on BD.

Story/Writing/Plot: I enjoyed it. It was fun. I felt like the director and sound engineers had a lot of fun making this movie. Not gonna win any Oscars. Some typical plot holes. It didn’t feel like the typical Resident Evil movie. Overall, I enjoyed it. Hence, I will be re-watching this movie on BD. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I'm looking forward to checking out The Last Duel and Bond 25 4k's this holiday weekend. I've heard the picture and ATMOS in each are top notch.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm looking forward to checking out The Last Duel and Bond 25 4k's this holiday weekend. I've heard the picture and ATMOS in each are top notch.
I think PQ is good. Last Duel is 4.5K digital camera, 4K Master.

No Time to Die was shot using ANALOG 35mm and 65mm films. What the hell is wrong with some of these directors/producers? :D

But I don’t recall being impressed with the Atmos sound with either one.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I think PQ is good. Last Duel is 4.5K digital camera, 4K Master.

No Time to Die was shot using ANALOG 35mm and 65mm films. What the hell is wrong with some of these directors/producers? :D

But I don’t recall being impressed with the Atmos sound with either one.
Hahaha oh yeah, you're a film hater. I don't mind film at all.

For real? I've been watching reviews and seeing things online with tons of people saying ATMOS for both were top notch.

I saw Bond in theaters, but it was a crappy small theater and the sound was atrocious. The picture sucked as well. So re-watching this with actual ATMOS and 4k projector will be a huge improvement.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahaha oh yeah, you're a film hater. I don't mind film at all.

For real? I've been watching reviews and seeing things online with tons of people saying ATMOS for both were top notch.

I saw Bond in theaters, but it was a crappy small theater and the sound was atrocious. The picture sucked as well. So re-watching this with actual ATMOS and 4k projector will be a huge improvement.
Bond NTTD PQ is good. At least they Mastered the analog film to 4K Digital. But these movies aren’t really made for a lot of Overhead Atmos effects.

Resident Evil WTRC was made for overhead Atmos effects with helicopters and monsters roaming around the 2nd Floor and ceiling over your head. Plenty of it. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Bond NTTD PQ is good. At least they Mastered the analog film to 4K Digital. But these movies aren’t really made for a lot of Overhead Atmos effects.

Resident Evil WTRC was made for overhead Atmos effects with helicopters and monsters roaming around the 2nd Floor and ceiling over your head. Plenty of it. :D
Where can one watch that Resident Evil movie?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched the new Matrix Resurrections last night. HBOMax stream. Picture looked clean and crisp. Sound was terrible. Very compressed. Very little bass. The physical disc version will fix all of that. My rating for the movie would be 6/10.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watched the new Matrix Resurrections last night. HBOMax stream. Picture looked clean and crisp. Sound was terrible. Very compressed. Very little bass. The physical disc version will fix all of that. My rating for the movie would be 6/10.
Yeah. PQ on the Matrix Resurrection is excellent as expected from those 8K Digital cameras. I thought SQ was overall good, but not great. Won’t be on my Atmos Reference list unless they somehow improved Atmos in the Blu-Ray.

The Atmos on Matrix 1-3 was reference-quality. So maybe the BD version will be also.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis