4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched the new Indiana Jones: Dial of Destiny 4K physical disc last night.

PQ: Was good. They used 4.5k cameras. Lots of CGI was used throughout the movie. You could definitely tell in some scenes that they were in front of a green screen. Without giving too much away, the first 20 mins of the movie probably cost the most. Since they did some de-aging for Indy.

SQ- Some have said this one had a good Atmos soundtrack. I kind of disagree with that. It sounded just like every other Disney release with Atmos(AtMOUSE). Which is not very good. The most I heard overhead was maybe some car traffic and echoes. Besides that, it was very front loaded. The bass was almost nonexistent. This is nowhere near a demo worthy disc.

Overall, I would give this final Indiana Jones movie a 6/10. Story was very weak. Direction was not that great. Ford gave his usual good performance. It was nice seeing some of the original cast throughout the movie. The new gal they brought in was very annoying. If you thought Aliens in the previous Indy movie was a bit over the top, then you're in for a treat with Dial of Destiny!!! :D :p

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Just saw “Killers of the Flower Moon” in 4K/ATMOS.

PQ. Shot mainly in 35mm analog camera (some digital scenes shot w/ Sony Venice 6K Digital), mastered in 4K Digital. PQ looks great. So again, doesn’t really matter if they shot in analog or digital, as long as they used a real high-end cinema camera, not a $4K home video camera like they used in “The Creator”, the movies will be mastered in 4K Digital and will look awesome forever.

SQ. Pure drama movie with really no overhead effects. Has some good bass music. Overall good SQ, but nothing special.

Movie. The setting is in Oklahoma. It was filmed mainly in Fairfax, OK which is 2 hours from Oklahoma City. So I definitely had to watch it. I think I even saw my cow in the movie. :D Haha. I think it’s a good “Academy Awards” movie. Probably will win 10+ Oscars like best picture and best Actor and all that. This movie features 3 Academy Award Best Actors - Robert De Nero, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Brendan Fraser. So a powerhouse performance for sure. But I likely won’t be watching it again since it’s depressing as hell. :D
Really looking forward to watching Killers of the Flower Moon. I love Scorsese movies. With that star studded lineup, I'm expecting greatness for 3 hours! :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Watched the new Indiana Jones: Dial of Destiny 4K physical disc last night.

PQ: Was good. They used 4.5k cameras. Lots of CGI was used throughout the movie. You could definitely tell in some scenes that they were in front of a green screen. Without giving too much away, the first 20 mins of the movie probably cost the most. Since they did some de-aging for Indy.

SQ- Some have said this one had a good Atmos soundtrack. I kind of disagree with that. It sounded just like every other Disney release with Atmos(AtMOUSE). Which is not very good. The most I heard overhead was maybe some car traffic and echoes. Besides that, it was very front loaded. The bass was almost nonexistent. This is nowhere near a demo worthy disc.

Overall, I would give this final Indiana Jones movie a 6/10. Story was very weak. Direction was not that great. Ford gave his usual good performance. It was nice seeing some of the original cast throughout the movie. The new gal they brought in was very annoying. If you thought Aliens in the previous Indy movie was a bit over the top, then you're in for a treat with Dial of Destiny!!! :D :p
That gal, Phoebe, is great in her own show Fleabag, on Prime. That is possibly why they chose her. Not so much in this film, she doesn't really seem to fit.

I watched Reptile with Benicio Del Toro and Justin Timberlake. Despite low-ish ratings, I actually though it was pretty good. Slow burn, bounces around a lot, but I enjoyed it. It was better than "The Little Things" with Denzel, which was a huge disappointment. Not really an audio kind of film but it does have some nicely done ambient background music that suits the tone very well.

Really looking forward to watching Killers of the Flower Moon. I love Scorsese movies. With that star studded lineup, I'm expecting greatness for 3 hours! :D
Normally I like Scorsese, but the Irishman was really a massive disaster.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched The Creator on 4k physical disc.

PQ-Wasn't bad considering what cameras were being used. I applaud Edwards for going with a low level 4k camera vs the $50k+ "normal" 4k cameras. But it works for this kind of movie. It's a pretty depressing world that is being represented.

SQ- I would say it was an alright Atmos mix. I wasn't blown away by anything. I would say it was a "normal" atmos track. You could hear ships above going by and noises going on around central characters. Bass level wasn't over the top. Some scenes had some punch but wasn't earth shattering by any means.

Overall, I would give The Creator a 7/10. Gareth Edwards had a pretty small budget for a sci-fi movie. For the budget, I feel he pulled off a pretty decent movie. If this was a $150-$200+ million movie, I would say it's a huge let down. The story moves very fast, leaves a lot of plot holes open and really just ends with a quasi-happy ending. If you're just looking for popcorn sci-fi flick and don't want to over think too much, The Creator is perfect for that. It's definitely nothing new, just a different take. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I applaud Edwards for going with a low level 4k camera vs the $50k+ "normal" 4k cameras.
You applaud him for being a cheap a$$? :eek:

When was the last time you applaud anyone for being a cheap a$$? :D

You keep telling everyone you want to spend $20-30K on a home theater PJ.

But you applaud this guy for using a $4,000 street camera from Best Buy for a movie that has a budget of $80,000,000 with no A-list (major) actors to pay?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
You applaud him for being a cheap a$$? :eek:

When was the last time you applaud anyone for being a cheap a$$? :D

You keep telling everyone you want to spend $20-30K on a home theater PJ.

But you applaud this guy for using a $4,000 street camera from Best Buy for a movie that has a budget of $80,000,000 with no A-list (major) actors to pay?
Hahahaha! I was waiting for your response!! :p :D

Yes, I applaud him for trying something different. 99% of audience will never know it was shot on a $4k camera. hahaha. The picture quality was not bad. You're a grain hater! haha. There is a layer of grain and I'm fine with that. I think Gareth was looking for ways to push his budget, so he chose a cheap camera to use funds on digital effects.
I don't think this movie was going to get top billed actors. I think Washington was fine. Would he be my first choice? no, but he did the best he could for what was given to him.

Hahaha, yep, $20k-$30k at a minimum on a projector. I'm still shooting for that Christie Griffyn with 35k lumens! If I get the 190-225" screen, I will need a high-end projector. :cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw Rebel Moon w/ my wife.

Video: Excellent as expected. This movie was shot using the 8K RED V-Raptor digital camera and mastered on 4K digital.

Sound: Awesome bass. My wife kept on saying the bass was extremely scary and made her jump too many times. :D Overall good sound. But I don’t recall any ATMOS overhead effects - so I guess FAKEMOS. The AVP LCD did read “Atmos”.

Story- my wife actually LOVED it. :D And she hates Sci-Fi in general. The pace was fast. But the story was extremely RUSHED. My wife said this would have been a great TV series.

Do I think this movie is good and do I like it?

I usually hate using negative terms like “Not Bad”. I hate hearing double negatives like “I don’t NOT like it” :eek: But I guess people do that because they are not sure how they feel.

So I’m not sure how I feel about this movie. It’s not among the best - not in the same league as “Edge of Tomorrow” or “Watchmen”, etc.

I like the story better than “The Creator”. :D

So I guess I am disappointed in “Rebel Moon Part One” overall. It didn’t meet my great expectations.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I watched "Leave the World Behind" 4K/ATMOS Streaming from Netflix.

PQ: Excellent as expected from the Sony Venice 6K Digital IMAX camera, mastered in 4K Digital.

SQ: Excellent. The sound mixers had a blast with mixing the overhead ATMOS effects. I think this is an ATMOS Reference Quality soundtrack. I heard a lot of very cool overhead sound effects - birds, planes, rain, voices, and just about everything else. The bass is just awesome - among the best I've heard. If you have good subs, get ready to be scared by the BASS in this movie. :D

Story: I like it. It's one of those movies that leave things very open-ended and unanswered. It definitely made me go on Google to search if Netflix is doing a sequel to this movie. It feels like a "Part One". :D This movie is like 2.5 HR long, but I definitely did NOT want it to end. I wanted the movie to continue for another 2.5 HR because I want to know what happens NEXT. I wanted this movie to be a TV series so I could find out what happens next. It's like watching a cliffhanger.

So, in conclusion, I really like this movie. I think it is very interesting. It has superb PQ and reference quality ATMOS soundtrack.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Is that an extra charge on Netflix for this service?. `What did you stream it with, not that I have a setup for it but am curious.
Laptop streaming to Blu-ray to projector only gives me DD prologic.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is that an extra charge on Netflix for this service?. `What did you stream it with, not that I have a setup for it but am curious.
Laptop streaming to Blu-ray to projector only gives me DD prologic.
It requires the subscription for 4K UHD, which bitstreams Atmos just like how the regular HD subscription bitstreams DD.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

PQ: Excellent as expected from the Sony Venice 6K Digital IMAX camera, mastered in 4K Digital.

SQ: Excellent. The sound mixers had a blast with mixing the overhead ATMOS effects. I think this is an ATMOS Reference Quality soundtrack. I heard a lot of very cool overhead sound effects - birds, planes, rain, voices, and just about everything else. The bass is just awesome - among the best I've heard. If you have good subs, get ready to be scared by the BASS in this movie. :D

Story: I like it. It's one of those movies that leave things very open-ended and unanswered. It definitely made me go on Google to search if Netflix is doing a sequel to this movie. It feels like a "Part One". :D This movie is like 2.5 HR long, but I definitely did NOT want it to end. I wanted the movie to continue for another 2.5 HR because I want to know what happens NEXT. I wanted this movie to be a TV series so I could find out what happens next. It's like watching a cliffhanger.

So, in conclusion, I really like this movie. I think it is very interesting. It has superb PQ and reference quality ATMOS soundtrack.
I liked it quite a bit, but I felt it didn't quite deliver in the end. They were trying to conceal what was going on, but it seemed pretty obvious. Good tension, good performances, good sound, overall a good flick. Better use of 2.5hrs vs Rebel Moon lmao.

I received Coraline 4K and Prometheus 4K should arrive tonight. Coraline was already amazing and looks even crisper in 4K. I didn't watch the whole thing yet, so didn't get a good idea for the audio, but they gave the DTS-HD track 5 stars. If Prometheus shows up at a decent time, I will give that a spin.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I liked it quite a bit, but I felt it didn't quite deliver in the end. They were trying to conceal what was going on, but it seemed pretty obvious. Good tension, good performances, good sound, overall a good flick. Better use of 2.5hrs vs Rebel Moon lmao.

I received Coraline 4K and Prometheus 4K should arrive tonight. Coraline was already amazing and looks even crisper in 4K. I didn't watch the whole thing yet, so didn't get a good idea for the audio, but they gave the DTS-HD track 5 stars. If Prometheus shows up at a decent time, I will give that a spin.
I haven't watched my Coraline 4k yet. I've heard it's pretty good. Also haven't watched my 4k of Prometheus either... haha I have a lot of 4k's I need to watch. Though, I'm pretty confident Prometheus will look good on 4k.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't watched my Coraline 4k yet. I've heard it's pretty good. Also haven't watched my 4k of Prometheus either... haha I have a lot of 4k's I need to watch. Though, I'm pretty confident Prometheus will look good on 4k.
You do realize that you will have to re-watch everything after you get your new system, right? :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched the new 4k disc of The Fugitive.

PQ-The best it's ever looked. The director approved this 30th Anniversary 4k edition. With HDR10 added, the colors look a ton better. Skin tones, inky blacks, etc.. One would think that this movie was made within the last decade. Very nicely done by WB.

SQ- They did a really nice job with this Atmos upgrade. I was very impressed with how much I was hearing in my height speakers. There are many scenes throughout the movie that have tons of background noise, the train crash, chase through the tunnels, the parade, etc.. For this being an early 90's movie (1993 to be exact) the Atmos mix was top notch.

Overall, I give the movie a solid 8/10. I remember seeing this movie in theaters when it was released. I was a young kid so I didn't think much of it. Just another Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones movie. Then catching it on TV a few hundreds times over the last 30 years :D... Finally getting it on 4k with great work put into it with picture and sound, I can honestly say this is the best version to watch and you will not be disappointed. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hahaha, you are 1000% correct! maybe I will just hold off until that day comes..:p
Yep. Just like if you have not seen Aliens, Abyss, and True Lies before, don't watch it until the 4K UHD Disc comes out. :D

I did watch a little bit of the Streaming 4K versions of those movies, and they look really good to me, especially the facial closeup scenes. Look very "digital" w/ very little GRAIN. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Yep. Just like if you have not seen Aliens, Abyss, and True Lies before, don't watch it until the 4K UHD Disc comes out. :D

I did watch a little bit of the Streaming 4K versions of those movies, and they look really good to me, especially the facial closeup scenes. Look very "digital" w/ very little GRAIN. :D
Oh yes, I will most definitely be waiting for those movies to hit 4k disc. Won't be wasting time with the digital versions. Only time I will watch a movie on digital is if I'm not going to purchase the physical copy.

I will reserve my comments/reviews until I watch the disc versions. But from what I'm seeing now out on web's, it's not looking good. :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You do realize that you will have to re-watch everything after you get your new system, right? :D
I'm in the same boat. No speaker upgrades, but an AVR and PJ upgrade are all in motion.

Really, I just need to install them. Then I can see how much better it is than my old DLP 1080p PJ.

I've got a lot of movies to catch up on.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I'm in the same boat. No speaker upgrades, but an AVR and PJ upgrade are all in motion.

Really, I just need to install them. Then I can see how much better it is than my old DLP 1080p PJ.

I've got a lot of movies to catch up on.
Which projector did you go with?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis