4K - 8K Resolution and/or Dolby Atmos/DTSX Content Reviews

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Oh yeah! you're in for a treat! Solid projector. It will be like watching those movies for the first time! The colors will be popping! Darks will be deep black. Nice crispy 4k pictures. :D

Let us know what you think after you get started watching some 4k movies!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Oh yeah! you're in for a treat! Solid projector. It will be like watching those movies for the first time! The colors will be popping! Darks will be deep black. Nice crispy 4k pictures. :D

Let us know what you think after you get started watching some 4k movies!
Oh I plan to. Trust me.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watched Rebel Moon 4k on Netflix.

PQ-Standard 4k picture on a streaming service. Nothing special. I have not liked Snyder's choices when it comes to camera lens options. I hate how in most scenes the main characters are crystal clear but stuff around the characters is all blurry. Also, he must've been channeling J.J. Abrams because he had some lens flare scenes throughout this part one. It was annoying. I hate lens flare. :)

SQ-Again, normal Netflix atmos. Wasn't that great, but it wasn't terrible either. It was just ok.

Overall, I'm giving this Pt. 1 a 6/10. I went in with ZERO expectations after reading all the negative comments and reviews. It was nothing new. It is the same story that we've seen 100x before just told through the eyes of Zach Snyder. It's a mixture of different sci-fi franchises. You can easily tell who each character is from those other franchises. My rating of 6 is being generous. I was entertained and it did keep my interest most of the time. So, I will give it credit for doing that.

The slo-mo scenes......my goodness. If you played a drinking game for every time the scene went into slow-mo mode, you'd be wasted before the middle of the movie. :p Most of those scenes were so unnecessary. I have no idea why Snyder likes to do that. He used to use those types of scenes sparingly when it called for it and made the scene great. Now he just likes throwing them in willy-nilly for no good reason during scenes that don't require it. For instance, why do I need to see a slow-mo shot of grain seeds falling on the ground??? hahaha.

I still don't understand why he or Netflix decided to make this PG13. There is a reason you're on Netflix. For the flexibility to do what you want and get the money to do it. Why not take every opportunity to make it everything you want it to be and give us that final product?

Just my two cents...:D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm in the same boat. No speaker upgrades, but an AVR and PJ upgrade are all in motion.

Really, I just need to install them. Then I can see how much better it is than my old DLP 1080p PJ.

I've got a lot of movies to catch up on.
Cmon man!!!!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It's going to be a lot more work than I had originally thought. That JVC is HUGE. I'm going from a ~8lb pj to a 40+ lb PJ.
Damn, that’s just a lil difference I guess. Still. I know you have nothing else to do!
I felt the same way when I cut my ceiling up for my overhead speakers. The first foot is the longest! Of course I kid, but I know you’ll back on it and ask what the hell took you so long lol. Yes, I speak from a little too much experience.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Damn, that’s just a lil difference I guess. Still. I know you have nothing else to do!
I felt the same way when I cut my ceiling up for my overhead speakers. The first foot is the longest! Of course I kid, but I know you’ll back on it and ask what the hell took you so long lol. Yes, I speak from a little too much experience.
Lol. Something like that.

I've got to build out a box/shelf for it to live in that'll be recessed into the wall. Should be a pretty neat project. I'll have a thread when I get ready to start.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't watched my Coraline 4k yet. I've heard it's pretty good. Also haven't watched my 4k of Prometheus either... haha I have a lot of 4k's I need to watch. Though, I'm pretty confident Prometheus will look good on 4k.
Prometheus was pretty good. It was hard to tell if there was a difference vs. the Blu-ray since it is supposed to be the same DTS-HD MA track, but it seemed like it was a bit more potent. The PQ definitely felt improved, probably more in color and smoothness than it outright detail, since much of the film is dark.

Will have to watch Covenant next for the Atmos track.

Coraline I still haven't done a full watch.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Felt like this fit this thread
Damn straight.

When you have an awesome HT system with a PJ and a giant screen that will show every flaw on screen, you want movies that look awesome to show off your PJ/Screen. :D

Don't want any cheap-ass $4K hand-held cameras or other low quality movie cameras and poor ATMOS sound effects. :cool:

Definitely don't like those people watching movies on phones, iPads, sound-bars. :mad:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My son moved into a new place is looking to buy a new OLED and then he said he wants a soundbar. This meme is exactly how I felt.
Show him the way.

My kids are fully aware that I have speakers and AVRs that aren't in use. They'll all get a sound system when they ask, but they haven't yet.

The only reason I have a soundbar in my house is because it's stereo and is easily hidden in my bedroom.

I told my wife I better not catch her listening to music on her phone when she's sitting in a room with a 5.1 system. Or 5.1.4. Or 7.4.4. Or 2ch. I've made things way too easy to use for that nonsese.

Now to teach the little ones the way.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't realize that "Twister 1996" was remastered/mixed in Atmos.

So I rewatched it last night just for the Atmos effects.

I would say that the Atmos effects is great. Every time there's a tornado, which happens a lot in this movie :D, I felt like I was in the middle of the tornado. It sounded like my roof was going to fly off during every tornado scene, which is scary considering the fact that I do live in Oklahoma. :eek:

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

I would say that the Atmos effects is great. Every time there's a tornado, which happens a lot in this movie :D, I felt like I was in the middle of the tornado. It sounded like my roof was going to fly off every tornado scene, which is scary considering the fact that I do live in Oklahoma. :eek:
I believe that Atmos edition was released in Germany. I've heard good things about it.

I watched the blu ray with 5.1 a couple years ago and thought that sounded pretty darn good. I do think a new 4k with atmos edition is going to come out in the next couple of years. Supposedly a new Twister movie is in the works. I could see the studio releasing a the original on 4k right around when the new movie drops.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I believe that Atmos edition was released in Germany. I've heard good things about it.

I watched the blu ray with 5.1 a couple years ago and thought that sounded pretty darn good. I do think a new 4k with atmos edition is going to come out in the next couple of years. Supposedly a new Twister movie is in the works. I could see the studio releasing a the original on 4k right around when the new movie drops.
The Atmos remastered version of Twister 1996 sounds awesome, so they should remaster it in 4K too.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

I would say that the Atmos effects is great. Every time there's a tornado, which happens a lot in this movie :D, I felt like I was in the middle of the tornado. It sounded like my roof was going to fly off every tornado scene, which is scary considering the fact that I do live in Oklahoma. :eek:
I love that movie. Saw it in the theater when it came out.

I'll have to grab this one.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I have excellent news!

Coming soon to 4k UHD!!! Tron Legacy 4k!

Will include a new UHD/Atmos remaster that is going to be done by Director Joseph Kosinski.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have excellent news!

Coming soon to 4k UHD!!! Tron Legacy 4k!

Will include a new UHD/Atmos remaster that is going to be done by Director Joseph Kosinski.
Oh man, that one is going to sound great. The current DTS-HD version already sounds amazing.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Update on Tron Legacy 4k-Supposedly Disney is only going to release the newer 4k remaster on Disney+ at the beginning. No date yet on actual physical copy.

Stupid Disney!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis