S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
Garcia,

Speakers are placed on either corner on one side about 12 feet from each other next to the walls and I sit in center on the opposite side about 15 feet from the speakers.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Speakers are placed on either corner on one side about 12 feet from each other next to the walls and I sit in center on the opposite side about 15 feet from the speakers.
You should certainly toy with placement.

Move your seat closer - about 9 feet from the speakers.
Move the speakers further from the walls - maybe about 3 feet away laterally and 2 feet into the room.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
GranteedEV,

Thanks. I like in Houston TX and my budget is about $ 1000

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
OK . I will try to work with speaker placement and update

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Speakers in the corners? Generally a pretty bad idea.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
@ BoredSysAdmin

I agree with you. I thought if I had a good receiver, speaker doesn't matter but now I know was wrong and that the reason why I have come here to learn from you gurus. Anyways my budget is $1000.

Note that I have done auto calibration on my system at least 50 times in last 6 months.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It is OK for the sub to be near the corner, but your mains should not be. Bring them in closer, pull them away from the wall behind them at least a foot. The rule of thumb is, they should be about as far apart as you sit from them, however if you are 15' from them, that may not be reasonable. For music, that rule is not a firm rule and it depends on the room, so experiment with placement.

If you are sitting right up against the wall, this will also degrade your sound. Consider hanging something soft on the wall immediately behind you; aka sound panels, but a rug, curtain, etc... should at least help too.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not generally super happy with auto calibration for music listening. I love what Audyssey does for TV and movies, but when I listen to music I turn off all that processing and use the EQ controls on my HTPC instead. That makes me a lot happier.

That's why I asked what kind of EQ you're using.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Your ROOM can be a big factor as well. ...
I have already tossed the polk subwoofer but have not installed the new subwoofer. I will do it this weekend
Garcia

I have carpet with drywall. room size is not big - 15 feet X 12 feet.
Yes, your room makes a huge difference. Think about the room configuration at the different stores you auditioned speakers in and compare your room to them.

If you have a favorite speaker from one of those stores, see if they will ket you borrow them for a weekend, or some other time period and see how those speakers and your room react.

I would not worry about your receiver nor Cd player unless the speaker you select has difficult impedance loads and sensitivity that needs a LOT more power.

It also sounds as though you have a replacement sub? What is it?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@ BoredSysAdmin

I agree with you. I thought if I had a good receiver, speaker doesn't matter but now I know was wrong and that the reason why I have come here to learn from you gurus. Anyways my budget is $1000.

Note that I have done auto calibration on my system at least 50 times in last 6 months.
Ok, So mid size room, 2.1 speakers.Music only. $1000 budget.

Ascend CMB-170SE and HSU VTF-2 MK4 Sub (other options: Outlaw Audio LFM-1, Power Sound XS15)

You could get Energy RC-10 bookshelfs - they have better finish and a bit more bass, but you don't need to worry about the lower stuff with any of above mentioned subs)
CMB-170SE measures better than RC10 - but the difference is not that big. Another highly recommended option is EMPTEK E41 , which are budget spin-off from E41B which had beryllium drivers.
(E41 switched to more common and cheaper aluminium)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Mark,

My receiver's power is 140 watts per channel. but my concern is the sound quality
Not a concern, not from the receiver;) :D
And, I hope the stores are not directing you to components other than speakers.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
@ anamorphic96

Can you please clarify on : I would also make sure you have no sound processing turned on - Do you mean zero bass and Treble and also flat equalizer ?

You should be running in some sort of pure direct mode to really get an idea of how the speakers sound : Can you please elaborate

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
@ mtrycrafts

have a 15 inch Velodyne subwoofer but it's still not installed. I will put this later this week. currently installed is a polk 12" subs

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I mean the Pioneer MCACC room-correction stuff. Your receiver has a "direct" mode which disables all of the audio processing. I don't know precisely what you're using for a source, though.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
I mean the Pioneer MCACC room-correction stuff. Your receiver has a "direct" mode which disables all of the audio processing. I don't know precisely what you're using for a source, though.
I have already tried direct mode.

For source I'm using a sony 100 CD changer with optical output.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I have already tried direct mode.

For source I'm using a sony 100 CD changer with optical output.
Now, you tried playing with electronics, As other suggested you could try to move around speakers/sub - but without measuring tools it'll be a guessing game
Try to follow the general guidelines and see if you hear results.

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
Can anyone please advice on Paradigm Monitor Series 9 floor standing speakers

S

Sangeet

Junior Audioholic
Ok, So mid size room, 2.1 speakers.Music only. $1000 budget.

Ascend CMB-170SE and HSU VTF-2 MK4 Sub (other options: Outlaw Audio LFM-1, Power Sound XS15)

You could get Energy RC-10 bookshelfs - they have better finish and a bit more bass, but you don't need to worry about the lower stuff with any of above mentioned subs)
CMB-170SE measures better than RC10 - but the difference is not that big. Another highly recommended option is EMPTEK E41 , which are budget spin-off from E41B which had beryllium drivers.
(E41 switched to more common and cheaper aluminium)
OK will check out these but just to let you know, I have a Bowers & Wilkins DM320 bookself but not happy with these.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis