Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Now the computer won't do anything other than turn all the fans on and I get three beeps. Nothing to the monitor and nothing to the key board. Sh!t, this blows. I blame Adam.
Sounds like bad RAM or the chip got unseated when you were in there mucking around. Pull out all but one chip and see if it boots. If not then swap the chips around 1 at a time and see if it will boot.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Sounds like bad RAM or the chip got unseated when you were in there mucking around. Pull out all but one chip and see if it boots. If not then swap the chips around 1 at a time and see if it will boot.
Check out the big brain on f^%&in' Craig! :)

A Google search of an error code mentioned that bad RAM could be the culprit but it also mentioned a bazillion other things. I had given up. Okay, one of the original 256 sticks got it to fire up. Now what? I let it update MSE so that's probably going to take some time but should I keep adding sticks until it craps out or take them to get tested .... whoops, ran out of patients and turned it off to add another stick it went to the blue screen self check thing. Now no matter which stick I put in it goes to the blue screen but before it wouldn't even trigger the monitor. :confused:

I'm still horsing around with it and contemplating reformatting it. :rolleyes: :(

EDIT:

Trying to reformat it puts up a message that is cut off on the left side of the screen but the gist of it is that I have a Registry File Failure something is corrupt, absent or not writable. Hmmm .... this sucks.:D

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I found something on the net that said if it will turn on at all you should get a recovery disc into it and then restart it so that's what I did and now it's reformatted. I'm installing a bazillion updates currently. Part of my bloatware is AOL, MaCafee and Norton. I'm going to delete all that as soon as the updates finish. I have no idea why it wouldn't start at all at first and then it did with one stick of RAM and then I guess I might have corrupted the registry by turning it off with the power button but I think I'm going to move out to California to live on a hippie commune. This is bullsh!t! As soon as I fix this thing I want to take a sledge hammer to it.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Liar. :p

Your honor, I present exhibit A. I'd like to draw your attention to the upper left square.

What's that? No, your honor. That's not me. What? No, that's not me, either.

:D :D
while i do find it absolutely hilarious, the first time i said the word audiophile to my friends thats what they thought it meant. well first they thought it was someone who f**** speakers (not easy to draw), but that was their second guess

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
If you do that naked on a twister board there's guy's out there that'll pay good money to watch.

Just sayin'

What?

Don't look at me.
Well yes, I recall something about them being completely shaved.....
To save you any future embarrassment... it's called a Twister Mat ...but who am I to judge.

:D:p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I replaced the TIM with a silicone based grease. It was okay for a while but between not using a metal based grease and skipping some steps it's now worse than ever.
Make sure not to use very much grease. You want as thin of a layer as possible. It's only meant to fill in the air gaps between surfaces.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
To save you any future embarrassment... it's called a Twister Mat ...
I thought that was Twister Matt. :D

Besides, Nomo was probably talking about his custom-built lacquered hardwood board made to withstand vigorous matches every weekend. :p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I guess that's why I'm just an alternate on the team and only get called every other weekend.:(
Nah. It's because Rick likes to be able to sit down at church without one of those inflatable rings...but you get to play every other weekend because, well, the heart wants what the heart wants. Heart, or whatever... :)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
my hard drives are 7 and 10 years old.... still work pretty good just really low capacity and a 20gb folder that cant be modified :(
What do you call low capacity? I was a late adopter and my first computer had a 8.4Gb hard drive.:D That was pretty respectable....in 1999.:p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
What do you call low capacity? I was a late adopter and my first computer had a 8.4Gb hard drive.:D That was pretty respectable....in 1999.:p
Holy cow, no kidding! Back in 1999-2000ish, getting a 10Gb drive at work was like winning the lottery. "Ewww, ewww...I can store more of those game executables, like that one where you throw snowballs at people."

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
My first One in 2000-2001 had 27gb (my sister used it until 2 years ago...128mb ram). My 7 year old is a 40gb sata and the 10 year is a 80gb IDE. Doesn't make much sense. Now that I think about it it's more like 9 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis