Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Can someone explain what's going on here?
Craig, if you're gonna hang out in the Steam Vent, you'll have to wise up to the twisted senses of humour. We don't pass up opportunities to slag each other off and sometimes you have to read between the lines in order to understand what's going on. You'll catch on if you stick around long enough.

Any post you make that can possibly be used to lob back an insult will be pounced upon. The guys have been pretty gentle with you so far (Let's see what somebody can do with that;)), because you're young and new here. That will pass. Think, before you post. You have been warned.:D

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Yes. Don't sleep on your stomach in Arizona....:D:D:D
Oh god :eek:
Craig, if you're gonna hang out in the Steam Vent, you'll have to wise up to the twisted senses of humour. We don't pass up opportunities to slag each other off and sometimes you have to read between the lines in order to understand what's going on. You'll catch on if you stick around long enough.

Any post you make that can possibly be used to lob back an insult will be pounced upon. The guys have been pretty gentle with you so far (Let's see what somebody can do with that;)), because you're young and new here. That will pass. Think, before you post. You have been warned.:D
I get that but I just don't have that same sense of humor really. Or it could just be that I'm an idiot.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Oh god :eek:

I get that but I just don't have that same sense of humor really. Or it could just be that I'm an idiot.
No, you're not an idiot. I've never seen you at the meetings anyway.
Just be prepared for some 'joking' that may get personal. It's all in fun.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
In order to not further pollute a perfectly good thread I'll reply to this here.

In the meantime, since you spend so much time at home, maybe you should think about getting a dog...:D
I don't need a dog. I need a job. I hate dogs. :p

I'm going to take another stab at fixing my desktop. I replaced the TIM with a silicone based grease. It was okay for a while but between not using a metal based grease and skipping some steps it's now worse than ever. So ... back to square one but this time I am loaded for bear ... in computer terms. I'll probably take some pic's because I know Adam likes seeing just how far out of my depth I am willing to go. :cool:

This is the part where I ask for random internet prayers for me, my computer and world peace.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Who is TIM? :eek:
The thermal grease link in the first line if this wiki page is pretty informatve.

80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test | Thermal Interface Material,Thermal Paste,Heatsink Compound,80-Way Thermal Interface Material Best Thermal Paste Heatsink Compound Cooling Performance Comparison Benchmark Tests

What's wrong with your computer?
It's a 7 year old eMachines T5026.My hope is that it's overheating. I've been using my laptop for weeks now.

This is why she wiggled her roll at you. Anybody that hates dogs deserves that kind of treatment.
Now that's just mean. I hadn't thought about that for a long time. Thanks. :rolleyes:

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
I hate going to a high school for slow kids, stoners and aggressive people... But the work is so easy.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The thermal grease
It's a 7 year old eMachines T5026.My hope is that it's overheating. I've been using my laptop for weeks now.

Now that's just mean. I hadn't thought about that for a long time. Thanks. :rolleyes:
That computer is ancient. The fact it's still running is a miracle. Heatsink compound can help with cpu speed, but make sure you use artic silver and only use a thin layer. It is essentially glue between the fan an the processor.

Choppy performance tends to be heat related and it certainly won't hurt. If you are real pioneering you could use it on all the heat sinks in your audio setup too. That said that memory, hard drive and motherboard are certainly all due to fail soon. Of course I have a computer I built around 7 years ago that still runs like a champ using Ubuntu. You might consider switching to a linux system if you start to have trouble with windows. They tend to be kinder to old computers.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
That computer is ancient. The fact it's still running is a miracle. Heatsink compound can help with cpu speed, but make sure you use artic silver and only use a thin layer. It is essentially glue between the fan an the processor.

Choppy performance tends to be heat related and it certainly won't hurt. If you are real pioneering you could use it on all the heat sinks in your audio setup too. That said that memory, hard drive and motherboard are certainly all due to fail soon. Of course I have a computer I built around 7 years ago that still runs like a champ using Ubuntu. You might consider switching to a linux system if you start to have trouble with windows. They tend to be kinder to old computers.
Hmmm, my desktop is 7 years old as well. It was starting to slow down a bit, but after adding some RAM, runs beautifully. Perhaps I should make sure I back everything up..?:eek:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Perhaps I should make sure I back everything up..?:eek:
Nah, you'll be fine. :D

Ubuntu? Yeah, like I heard of that. :rolleyes:
Ungawa on the other hand .... ;)

Now the computer won't do anything other than turn all the fans on and I get three beeps. Nothing to the monitor and nothing to the key board. Sh!t, this blows. I blame Adam.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

craig7

Senior Audioholic

my hard drives are 7 and 10 years old.... still work pretty good just really low capacity and a 20gb folder that cant be modified :(

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
my hard drives are 7 and 10 years old.... still work pretty good just really low capacity and a 20gb folder that cant be modified :(
I'm pretty sure my first computer had around 20gigs and that was last century. That good ole athlon with the 128 meg nvidia geforce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis