Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
on my monitor they are red. Since I'm into photography as a hobby my monitor is color calibrated and yep those pretty Phil3's are RED.
And that is exactly what I want - RED.:D

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
And that is exactly what I want - RED.:D
They really look good, but as we know using flash is somewhat harsh and ad a bluish reflection and lightens pics too.

In a home enviroment, there will be shadows/low light, which makes every more subdued and rich looking. I can visualize them as real beauties!!!:D

Looking forward to you getting and reviewing them.

Dennis has confirmed my appointment this weekend.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
My asking if they were red didn't mean that's a bad thing, for what it's worth; I just wanted to know, simple as that. They're going to be awesome, ADTG!

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
*********************AH Ticker Alert**********************

Ok guys, confirmation at 12:00 noon Sunday at Dennis'......

Infinities gone.....

CAOW1s soon to be replaced......

Picking up Philharmonic 2s and Philharmonitor 2s......

Will report back on Sunday evening.....

woodsart out!!!

One side note, the gentleman who picked up the infinities had manapans, ushers, high end bose, and many other high end speakers. Such as a pair of something that was 6' X 4' Vintage speakers. And among other many amps, he posessed a Leak Stereo 20, which was one of his favorite amps.

During our discussion, which was extremely lengthy, and when I let him listen to the CAOW1s, with my little tube amp, the conversation was sharply interupted with an obvious head swing as his attention moved toward the speakers.

He, then got up and asked where is the name/manufacturer, then, I explained they were Dennis DIY. It was obvious to me that he was impressed with the clean, amazing, open sound of these pair of bookshelves.

*******************End transmission*********************

Last edited:
N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
What is a "high end Bose?" I started getting blurred vision and teary eyed when I read that, then I woke up at work 12 hours later and have no idea what happened between then and now. LOL! :p:D

We're all very much looking forward to your review, Robert! It sounds like you may have made Dennis a sale as well. ;)

C

Chacranajxy

Audioholic Intern
Soo.... Philharmonic 2s, or Martin Logan Vistas? They're the same price. I do love that electrostatic sound, though...

F

frsimms

Junior Audioholic
Soo.... Philharmonic 2s, or Martin Logan Vistas? They're the same price. I do love that electrostatic sound, though...
I do like the Martin Logans. The Philharmonics are in another league though. The sound is somewhat similar to the electrostatic sound. If you like electrostatics then you will love the Phillys.

Bob

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Several differences.

1. The Martin Logan are IMO inaccurate speakers in terms of FR on-axis & off-axis. The Philharmonic speakers are accurate.

2. The ML are IMO probably "worth" $1K after you factor in mark up, advertisement, etc. The Philharmonic 2 are IMO worth $3K with little mark up, advertisement, etc.

"Obvious" choice IMO are the Philharmonic 2.:D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Several differences.

1. The Martin Logan are IMO inaccurate speakers in terms of FR on-axis & off-axis. The Philharmonic speakers are accurate.

2. The ML are IMO probably "worth" $1K after you factor in mark up, advertisement, etc. The Philharmonic 2 are IMO worth $3K with little mark up, advertisement, etc.

Are there any reviews of the ML's with measurements? I couldn't find any. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing them, although they certainly seem interesting. Obviously the best crossover is no crossover, which gives the ML's an advantage above the woofer-panel crossover point, which I'm guessing is in the 250-300 Hz range. On the other hand, they will still need baffle step compensation, and I don't know how well that is implemented in this design. My best guess is that the Phil's go lower (I'm pretty sure of that), and will have a wider sweet spot. But in a properly seated postition, all bets are off. I would love to hear them in my living room.

C

Chacranajxy

Audioholic Intern
Well, out of curiosity, what's the wait like for getting a pair of Philharmonic 2's, if I were to go that route?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I was surprised to see them in big box Futureshop last year going for C$1,499.99 each. I A/B compared them a couple of times with the RC70 and to me there was no comparison. The Energy's sounded way better. I tried to focus on only mids and highs each time. In a different listening environment the results will most likely be different but I wasn't sure if they would sound different enough for me to say they were worth the price. FS seems to carry only the lower end ML speaker now and I guess I know the reason.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Well, out of curiosity, what's the wait like for getting a pair of Philharmonic 2's, if I were to go that route?
Hummmmm.....last I heard about 6 weeks give or take, depending whether you want 1/2s or the custom cabinet 3s. Dennis would be the contact on that one.

HoWeVeR, I am mostly facetious at the least...........because I am picking my sets up in 3 hours..................:eek::D:eek::D:eek::D!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are there any reviews of the ML's with measurements? I couldn't find any. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing them, although they certainly seem interesting. Obviously the best crossover is no crossover, which gives the ML's an advantage above the woofer-panel crossover point, which I'm guessing is in the 250-300 Hz range. On the other hand, they will still need baffle step compensation, and I don't know how well that is implemented in this design. My best guess is that the Phil's go lower (I'm pretty sure of that), and will have a wider sweet spot. But in a properly seated postition, all bets are off. I would love to hear them in my living room.
MartinLogan Aerius loudspeaker Measurements part 2 | Stereophile.com

MartinLogan Montage loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was surprised to see them in big box Futureshop last year going for C$1,499.99 each. I A/B compared them a couple of times with the RC70 and to me there was no comparison. The Energy's sounded way better. I tried to focus on only mids and highs each time. In a different listening environment the results will most likely be different but I wasn't sure if they would sound different enough for me to say they were worth the price. FS seems to carry only the lower end ML speaker now and I guess I know the reason.
I've auditioned the ML Vantage. They sound pretty good. But not as good as the BP7001SC IMO.

Of course, others may disagree with us completely and think the ML sound the best. Personal preferences. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis