Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I've always had a weakness for MLs, though I've never taken the step to own them. One of the pivotal points in my audio experience was a demo session at a dealer, with ML Monoliths driven by Threshold amps playing Trevor Pinnock's "The Four Seasons" CD. I had never heard violins sound so real. I could see the bows move. I was in awe. Since that demo only the Sound Labs have ever had similar results for me. I couldn't afford the Monoliths at the time, so I went without.

The Salon 2 and the 800D come close, but for some reason just don't quite hit the same height of realism on strings. The Linkwitz Orion did surprisingly good on this test too, perhaps even bettering the Salon 2, but didn't challenge the ML or Sound Lab experiences either. I've often wondered what parameter(s) it is of speaker performance that when perfected makes strings sound so realistic. Or perhaps it was a pleasant coloration. It is interesting that the best results were all dipoles.

The Legacy Focus never came close. Either did the ADS M15 or L1530, the speakers I owned at the time of the demo.

That original experience had such an impact on me I've been using that same CD as one of a set I use to evaluate speakers ever since, about 20 years now.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Something about those dipole & planar, huh?:D

Usually, it's the Salon2 for me.

But this weekend has been all Linkwitz Orion for me. :D

I've been watching the NFL playoffs on my 120" screen for TV & the Orion for sound.

Then I saw the NFL say that BOSE is the official sound of the NFL. :eek:

Perhaps I'll be watching the Superbowl with my Philharmonic 3.

And then the NFL will say that BOSE is the official sound of the NFL. :eek:

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Hummmmm.....last I heard about 6 weeks give or take, depending whether you want 1/2s or the custom cabinet 3s. Dennis would be the contact on that one.

HoWeVeR, I am mostly facetious at the least...........because I am picking my sets up in 3 hours..................:eek::D:eek::D:eek::D!!!
Hi Woodsart has come and gone. Should be about at the I95 Exit to Richmond by now. Gail came along, I think to meet Big Ben the retriever. They got along famously after the first frantic 5 minutes. They're great people, and I was very happy to see the Phil 2's and Philmonitors go to a good home. I'm still stuck with the dog, though.

The turnaround time for a pair of 2's in the stock cabinets is about 2 weeks. The 3's and the 2's in a custom cabinet would take 6-7 weeks.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
...I wonder how much I can sell these EMPs for................

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Ok Woodsart you need to get busy, kiss the wife and get installing, testing, taking pictures (lots) as some of us are waiting

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
SO barely enough to fund shipping and customs :eek: :(
Unfortunately. That is why I will probably never sell another gear again.

It's probably a better idea buying used gears; at least when you resell, you get most of it back.

Or buy the Orion used @ $3K, wait for them to markup the price to $15K, then resell them.:D

I almost bought the Orion used locally for $3K. But they were the wrong color.:eek:

Or buy the Philharmonic new, wait for their value to increase to $6K, then resell.:D

But I'm done with the selling game.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
InTheIndustry just told me the 2012 CES in Vegas was a letdown. But he said the Martin Logan Montis is awesome. However, they do cost $10,000/pr.:D
Too pricey, I think. Of course now that the CLX is ~$25K perhaps it looks like bargain by comparison.

Is it just me, or has the price of high-end audio gotten completely out of hand?

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Ok Woodsart you need to get busy, kiss the wife and get installing, testing, taking pictures (lots) as some of us are waiting

I will tomorrow with my initial thoughts, but for now I couldn't be more impressed!:)

I feel like I have been saturated by immersion in a liquid/steep of enveloping music/movies til I am exhausted.

I will have pics as you guys will be stunned by the Philhamonitor 2's size, appearance and performance.

And the finish of the 2s, well, pics won't do justice with the cabinet quality and finish. The grills are really nice.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Too pricey, I think. Of course now that the CLX is ~$25K perhaps it looks like bargain by comparison.

Is it just me, or has the price of high-end audio gotten completely out of hand?
It's out of hand alright. :eek:

That is why the price of the Philharmonic speaker is welcomed. :D

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic

CLX price hasn't really gone up - it was originally listed at $22.9k, I think, but the art frame was always about $24.9k. They just dropped the old style frame since everyone bought the art style. And the Montis is marginally more expensive than the Spire that it replaced. ML isn't really rate-hiking too bad.

On a side note, have you heard CLX's? They're spectacular as long as you can live with the limited low end response or augment with a low-crossover subwoofer. But the detail, size of stage, imaging.... awesome.

woodsart

woodsart

Audioholic
Good morning everyone.....Wow! I am still exhausted....must be the age...ugh!!!

Carrying in those bottoms of the 2s was a challenge, almost didn't make it. Not as heavy as they are ackward!!! No WAF there, sorry, Dennis!

First impressions of the Philhamonitors just took my breath away. I thought the CAOW1s were big for monitors, but these are enormous and the sound was too. I really.....really like the Fountek and bass, well while at Dennis' he took those babies down to 28hz successfully. The pictures on the wall rattled!

I said I wanted more bass to avoid a sub and he did it.

Watched a movie with the Philharmonic 2 towers, the ape, one don't bother with it. I was very pleased as you were more immersed in the movie rather listen to speakers (7).

Then more music with the Onk/XPA-5 via Pure audio mode, 2 channel only, no sub. Felt like all 7 speakers were banging away.

So, far there is no issues, very happy with everything.

Oh, Ben found a new friend and my wife likewise......I will up load a couple of pics, he sure has grown, no more puppy there!

I will continue to experiement, but it will be awhile for me to give my full account. Lots of moving around and such.

Pics following..........

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvrobinson View Post

Sure has, probably because there are knuckleheads out there that still buy it at these inflated prices.
As long as people have money in the pockets and think just because a product cost a lot "it must be good" then manufacturers will keep building and pocketing a lot of cash from these poor souls that love to spend their money. Supply and demand or dollars on demand can drive some people over the edge in regards to logical thinking.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Woodsart, can't wait for your indepth review. Please include music type demo'd, listening position from speakers, maybe a pic of your room :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis