Philharmonic Audio - 3-way open back ML-TQWTs designed by Dennis Murphy

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
The music in this video is NOT being played by those speakers. That music is dubbed in. Of course, the second song is and it sounds awful. lol
How do you know that factually?

I think the second song is the dubbed in one. LOL... :D

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
How do you know that factually?

I think the second song is the dubbed in one. LOL... :D
The camera pans around the side and behind the speaker and the tonality never changes. Obviously if you're standing behind the speaker, the sound that you hear is only going to be reflected sound and is going to sound completely different from the front view even on a cheap crappy camera mic.

And actually watching it again, I think that the second song may be dubbed, too, but just have crappy sound to begin with that makes one think it isn't because the woofer is playing.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Or maybe those are the best speakers in the world and because they were recorded with a cheap video camera mic and then heavily compressed over the intertubes, all sorts of distortions were created and made you think that they sound bright. Personally, I don't hear brightness, I just hear mic distortion.

edit for your edit:

The music in this video is NOT being played by those speakers. That music is dubbed in. Of course, the second song is and it sounds awful. lol
The camera pans around the side and behind the speaker and the tonality never changes. Obviously if you're standing behind the speaker, the sound that you hear is only going to be reflected sound and is going to sound completely different from the front view even on a cheap crappy camera mic.

And actually watching it again, I think that the second song may be dubbed, too, but just have crappy sound to begin with that makes one think it isn't because the woofer is playing.
I think there are separate channels for the Audio coming off the mic on the stand, and the video camcorder is a totally separate channel, and being mixed down together into the A/V recording, so it seems to me.

If not separate channels, your point is valid totally if the mic on the camcorder was moving around the speakers.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I think there are separate channels for the Audio coming off the mic on the stand, and the video camcorder is a totally separate channel, and being mixed down together into the A/V recording, so it seems to me.

If not separate channels, your point is valid totally if the mic on the camcorder was moving around the speakers.
There is no separate mic. You can clear see across the room from the behind the speaker shot and the only thing there is a floor lamp to augment the lighting in the room.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
There is no separate mic. You can clear see across the room from the behind the speaker shot and the only thing there is a floor lamp to augment the lighting in the room.
That looks like a mic stand, and the cord does not look like an AC power cord to me, more like a mic cord the way it snakes around w/ flexibility back to where the equipment is.

Looking at the shadows off the top of the SS10's the light to me seems to be overhead lighting in the ceiling, not a light on the mic stand.

In fact, look at the shadow at the bottom of the Mic Stand moving to the Upper right when you freeze frame the video, that is from Overhead Lighting. A mic is on that stand, not a light bulb for sure, just by the reflections at bottom of stand.

Angle of Incident = Angle of Reflection.

But MOST ALL agree it is a DUBBING!!

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The last URL, IMHO does not even come close to:

Salk SoundScape 10 Preview - YouTube

Maybe, Dennis will put up a quickie on YouTube knowing it is better than nothing out there a sound clip of the PHIL 3's!

Try that same song if you have it - from Memory Tapes, Wait in the Dark or something that you like. We will be waiting on DM.

In the interim I will be playing that SS10 audio over and over... something about that sound quality that is pleasing, but grabs me... just lovely, but only ADTG can afford those at $12K. :D
I only did that second URL to stir the nest a little - I do not take
sound seriously from YouTube. I saw that clip on the SS10 a while
back - it does not do the speakers justice. I will never pay $5000
for the KEF - a lot of that price goes to the cabinet.
I guess ADTG has come a long ways from his Definitive speakers.
Once he gets his Philharmonic speakers - it will not be long till he
buys some Salk speakers. :)

Even Opera speakers are on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4LKIlC5r_Y&feature=related

This one is really amusing - On Focal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Ueypo_os4&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I only did that second URL to stir the nest a little - I do not take
sound seriously from YouTube. I saw that clip on the SS10 a while
back - it does not do the speakers justice. I will never pay $5000
for the KEF - a lot of that price goes to the cabinet.
I guess ADTG has come a long ways from his Definitive speakers.
Once he gets his Philharmonic speakers - it will not be long till he
buys some Salk speakers. :)

Even Opera speakers are on YouTube
Opera Callas Tebaldi - YouTube

This one is really amusing - On Focal
Focal JM Lab Diablo Utopia Teaser - YouTube
Jim Z -- where are your SALK's listed there in your Footnote, did I overlook something? :D:cool:

Even JIM SALK thinks it is a DUBBING... oh well... I also do not believe in Youtube A/V recordings, but like to listen to some junk online vs. looking at equations for Xovers and ML-TL's all day long, hahaha.. :):eek:

ADTG will then be selling me his PH3's, when his new Salk SS12's arrive. :):eek::D By then the FOURS will be out!!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Jim Z -- where are your SALK's listed there in your Footnote, did I overlook something? :D:cool:

Even JIM SALK thinks it is a DUBBING... oh well... I also do not believe in Youtube A/V recordings, but like to listen to some junk online vs. looking at equations for Xovers and ML-TL's all day long, hahaha.. :):eek:

ADTG will then be selling me his PH3's, when his new Salk SS12's arrive. :):eek::D By then the FOURS will be out!!
I think we have a forest and trees problem here. It doesn't matter whether it's dubbed. If the speaker is perfect, and if the mic and everything else is perfect, what you will hear is your speakers, not the SS10. As I said before, the SS10's can't be better than the original source material. So what you hear can't be better than what you would get if you played that source material on your speakers. So the dubbed vs live issue is irrelevant.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

I do not own a Salk speaker - however if funds or space were available,
I would buy the Philharmonic or Salks blind. I am still holding out for
a Philharmonic shelf/stand speaker - I am sure that Dennis can give my
Snell or Boston E60 speakers, a run for their money.

I like to visit YouTube to un-wind a little - I like to get a way from going
around in a circle at another forum, and to get away from measurements
for a while. I do appreciate good measurements - however, I want and
wait for people, to confirm that what they hear, is a true witness to what
the measurements read. I have owned a few speakers that did measure
well - however, they were on the boring side and lacked good resolution.

There may come a time when ADTG will sell some stuff - so hang in there. :)

Last edited:
H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
That looks like a mic stand, and the cord does not look like an AC power cord to me, more like a mic cord the way it snakes around w/ flexibility back to where the equipment is.

Looking at the shadows off the top of the SS10's the light to me seems to be overhead lighting in the ceiling, not a light on the mic stand.

In fact, look at the shadow at the bottom of the Mic Stand moving to the Upper right when you freeze frame the video, that is from Overhead Lighting. A mic is on that stand, not a light bulb for sure, just by the reflections at bottom of stand.

Angle of Incident = Angle of Reflection.

But MOST ALL agree it is a DUBBING!!
I disagree. I think that the light reflection is a reflection of the floor lamp and the cable is snaked over to the gear because that is where his AC outlet is. That looks like every lamp I have ever seen at Walmart. If that was a mic stand, he would have the mic placed way++ too high and overall in the wrong position.

Not that any of this is really relevant to this thread at all, but you know. haha

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I disagree. I think that the light reflection is a reflection of the floor lamp and the cable is snaked over to the gear because that is where his AC outlet is. That looks like every lamp I have ever seen at Walmart. If that was a mic stand, he would have the mic placed way++ too high and overall in the wrong position.

Not that any of this is really relevant to this thread at all, but you know. haha
If he owns SoundScape 10's, his lamp is not from WalMart - or then maybe again it is, as all his $$ are in the 10's!! :D

Onto something more important, have you heard the Philharmonics? :) On the other hand, with those Martin Logan Summit X's you have there... you don't need anything else, do you?

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I think we have a forest and trees problem here. It doesn't matter whether it's dubbed. If the speaker is perfect, and if the mic and everything else is perfect, what you will hear is your speakers, not the SS10. As I said before, the SS10's can't be better than the original source material. So what you hear can't be better than what you would get if you played that source material on your speakers. So the dubbed vs live issue is irrelevant.
But I LOVE my Altec Lansing PC speakers - Model ADA 305's, of which they no longer make, do not know why -- nice speakers w/ sub for around $150 back then (~2000 or so).

Did Altec Lansing get out of the speaker business also?

Last edited:
H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
If he owns SoundScape 10's, his lamp is not from WalMart - or then maybe again it is, as all his $$ are in the 10's!! :D

Onto something more important, have you heard the Philharmonics? :) On the other hand, with those Martin Logan Summit X's you have there... you don't need anything else, do you?
Eh... I have a bunch of relatively expensive speakers and own a few lamps from Walmart, so.... haha.

The Summits are good for sure, but I am currently browsing around for 2 more pairs of speakers for rooms where a dipole speaker cannot be properly placed. I have not heard the philharmonics, but they intrigue me.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Eh... I have a bunch of relatively expensive speakers and own a few lamps from Walmart, so.... haha.

The Summits are good for sure, but I am currently browsing around for 2 more pairs of speakers for rooms where a dipole speaker cannot be properly placed. I have not heard the philharmonics, but they intrigue me.
Check with Dennis Murphy, as I think he stated there was a pair of Phil 3's that went up to Vancouver, B.C., Canada area. Maybe you could audition them in B.C. assuming the new owner does not mind, of which most owners of new speakers love to show them off to others.

Maybe, Dennis Murphy will setup an Audio Circle thread for Auditioning his newly released speakers, that to me would be an Excellent idea.

Have you heard the SALK line up there in Canada?

codexp3

codexp3

Audioholic

Doesn't apply in Scottsdale. I park the Ferrari there and don't even have the nicest car in the lot!

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Doesn't apply in Scottsdale. I park the Ferrari there and don't even have the nicest car in the lot!
Let me guess--you're talking about AJ's parking lot. A 5-minute stop while you dash in for some fresh rattlesnake meat. Been there. Done that. In a Passat.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I shop at Wal-Mart almost everyday.:eek:

It's like a daily routine.:D
I shop at the DOLLAR STORE, and get 3X as much in the Shopping Trolley vs. going to Wal-Mart for the same price. :eek::D

There BUFFALO/PEPPERONI sticks are Great! Must be the Dollar Stores better ROLL BACK !!

The cab ride costs more than all the items in the Trolley. :(:mad:

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
PH3 Driver Power Ratings

After studying the drivers in the PH3's, the weakest driver concerning power rating is the B & G Corp. Neo8 Planar Transducer of which they (Mfg.) states can only handle 50 Watts for Program materials. :confused:

DM, do you see this as a limitation with the Phil 3's?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
After studying the drivers in the PH3's, the weakest driver concerning power rating is the B & G Corp. Neo8 Planar Transducer of which they (Mfg.) states can only handle 50 Watts for Program materials. :confused:
with 50w you're looking at around 109db capability above the crossover region which is identical to the woofer being fed 300w. The woofers are still the main factor in dynamics, because they operate below the baffle step and in the most power hungry region of most program material. Incidentally with 300w into the speaker only around 50w will actually reach the mid in this particular design, although I can't speak on heat conduction from crossover to driver as i don't know a thing 'bout passive XOs

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis