darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I suggest skipping the FoMoCo cams and jumping up to something a little hotter, you'll wish you did later. At least that was my experience. Not fun to do something twice (and pay twice)
Yeah I'm just planning on doing the FRPP intake. I'm not sure on the cams yet, probably something from Comp.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Some reflections,

After nearly 10 years of playing, testing and tweaking various speaker and video combinations I have reached a point of completion. My systems sounds and looks (video wise) as good as it can without going to an entirely purpose built and heavily engineered room (ain't gonna happen). After watching a film with some friends who have been along for the entire journey, I asked for their take on this whole process and what specific features have the most dramatic effect on the movie/concert watching experience. Their responses did not surprise me but I thought they were interesting.

The systems current pro audio derived speaker setup and improved audio dynamics with almost limitless headroom was the number one comment. That is in comparison to my audiophile (sweet sounding) speaker days. The larger AT screen and the LCR’s being directly behind it as well as the video quality was a close second. Basically they said that it is a “perfect” blend of audio/video immersion that achieves what one person described as “absolutely the best movie watching experience ever”.

Another interesting comment was the HT chairs. The comfort factor of having powered fully adjustable seating with reasonable viewing distance and angle when sitting for a couple of hours is huge. I am under no illusion that my room esthetic's are anything to write home about. There are certainly many examples of absolutely beautiful rooms with lavish decorations on this and other websites, but I was only concerned with how it looked and sounded with the lights out. Mission accomplished!;)

As it turns out, there is a big difference in having an HT which is a surround sound system with a TV in a family living space and a true dedicated theater in your home space. I know this because that was my progression and the differences are not subtle. I realize that this is outside of the rational scope of most people’s lives and is an odd priority use of livable space in a modern home. It works for me because my home is fairly large and life circumstances force me to be home a good portion of the time. Having a high quality source of entertainment at home became a priority for me and I also enjoyed doing the work myself as a hobby. Now that it is “done” (I can always make changes for changes sake ;-) the hobby factor has diminished so I need to find another outlet to fill the gap.

Any suggestions? … I’m thinking something outdoorsy like golf …:)

Last edited:
W

westcott

Audioholic General
Some reflections,

After nearly 10 years of playing, testing and tweaking various speaker and video combinations I have reached a point of completion.

I have been following your progression closely and I have been really impressed with your execution. You have a very clean installation which is difficult to accomplish in a shared space and still address acoustic hurdles. Of course, who wouldn't like to own the equipment you have too.

My only suggestion would be more experimentation with dual SW placement. Not sure how your frequency response looks in the room maped out, but it is always a time consuming affair when done right, especially with two subs. Just so many possible combinations. I would try an opposing subwoofer scenario first if your cabling and room layout allows.

That should give you something to do for a few months!
As for a hobby outside, I really have enjoyed bicycle riding in a large group. I get to meet new friends, see the towns surrounding my home, get some exercise, and learn something new. When taken seriously, bicycle riding can be a chess players favorite outdoor sport. It really does require some strategy once you get serious about it.

Congratulations once again. A very nice job and you have every reason to be proud.

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
My only suggestion would be more experimentation with dual SW placement. Not sure how your frequency response looks in the room maped out, but it is always a time consuming affair when done right, especially with two subs. Just so many possible combinations. I would try an opposing subwoofer scenario first if your cabling and room layout allows.
Thanks for the comments. My subs were installed by the guy who builds them and his measuring gave the raw non-EQ'd FR graph (below) taken at the main listening position. These things are always a compromise. Move the mic a foot or two and you have a different looking FR curve.

The front row is very good for both movies and music. I find the back row a little to bassy even with my fairly extensive treatment of the back wall. Many who hear my system prefer the back row but it doesn't do it for me. I like intense bass in movies and I've got it in spades, but for music I don't care for over cooked bass.

I've owned a lot of subs including quads and since those were sealed and relatively small, I experimented with several locations. All of those placement options involved trade offs. When you have two rows, a riser and 7 seats, there are always compromises in a room the size of mine. One sofa is very easy by comparison. :)

Plus, these subs are huge! (the screen is 120" wide):eek:

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well after seeing and hearing several of the configurations I can confirm you have come a looooooong way. ;) Your current sound system is nothing short of amazing.

Did someone say golf? Or how about a new car???

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Well after seeing and hearing several of the configurations I can confirm you have come a looooooong way. ;) Your current sound system is nothing short of amazing.

Did someone say golf? Or how about a new car???
Thanks for the testimonial Rick. So you play golf?

The new car isn't going to happen. I'm stuck with that old Jag for fun and a work car.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I do play golf but I'm not very good. I need to get back into it so I can keep up with my kids.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I do play golf but I'm not very good. I need to get back into it so I can keep up with my kids.
The game is a real time burner but as i get older, I seem to have more time to burn. I played a lot when I was a young and although the muscle memory isn't what it was, I can still get it around well enought to have fun (and that's the idea, right? ;))

Just watched the 2009 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Concert Bluray and wow. Metallica with Ozzy doing Iron Man and then Metallica alone doing Sandman at reference (or a little above:eek:) levels. Better than being there ...:cool:

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
100K + views

Wow, over 100K views in this sorry old thread. Too bad I have nothing new to add and probably won't be doing much except enjoying what I have for the foreseeable.

I did Change out my Sony BDP-CX960 Mega Changer for the "better" BDP-CX7000ES. They put these on fire sale at the Sony Outlet Stores and I picked up the 7000ES for $399 (a remarkable deal and I love that unit:cool:). They sold new for $1,800 or thereabouts.

Anyway, thanks to all for your ideas, contributions, encouragement and for hanging with me on the journey. It is sites like this and AVS that made it possible.

Muchas gracias amigos!

Last edited:
W

westcott

Audioholic General
I did Change out my Sony BDP-CX960 Mega Changer for the "better" BDP-CX7000ES. They put these on fire sale at the Sony Outlet Stores and I picked up the 7000ES for $399 (a remarkable deal and I love that unit:cool:). They sold new for $1,800 or thereabouts. Muchas gracias amigos!
I love my Sony CD player. Best bang for the buck and it saves me a lot of pain not having to constantly look for and load CDs. I am looking to maybe add a second one. The first one is almost full.

Not many changes on my end either. This economy has taken the wind out of many of us.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I have been lax on posting here and contributing back, but literally my JTR speakers I'm so happy with when I have a moment I watch a movie rather than go on the 'net or look at other gear. I've been just so pleased with them, I can just push and push and push and they don't care, yet sound crystal clear. All I feel like is the lost years I had before. And for electronic music, the club is in my listening room, bring girls and drinks. :p

Cheers for turning them on to me.

Your HT has been an inspiration to me.

I'm looking at building a bigger house with a dedicated theater now, and, when that is in the pipeline I'ma have to give you a ring (hook me up with your mobile again in PM when you can, I lost it!) for some projector help, and obviously Jeff a call for some subs and maybe some other speakers. :p

Obviously if your ever in South Beach/South Florida hit me up we'll party (golfs cool, but I'ma bring you out clubbing, and your wife will love it too!). Take ya to all the spots with the best sound too.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I have been lax on posting here and contributing back, but literally my JTR speakers I'm so happy with when I have a moment I watch a movie rather than go on the 'net or look at other gear. I've been just so pleased with them, I can just push and push and push and they don't care, yet sound crystal clear. All I feel like is the lost years I had before. And for electronic music, the club is in my listening room, bring girls and drinks. :p

Cheers for turning them on to me.

Your HT has been an inspiration to me.

I'm looking at building a bigger house with a dedicated theater now, and, when that is in the pipeline I'ma have to give you a ring (hook me up with your mobile again in PM when you can, I lost it!) for some projector help, and obviously Jeff a call for some subs and maybe some other speakers. :p

Obviously if your ever in South Beach/South Florida hit me up we'll party (golfs cool, but I'ma bring you out clubbing, and your wife will love it too!). Take ya to all the spots with the best sound too.
You're welcome, The JTR's do get it done. If I make it down your way I'll definitely look you up. Same goes for you if you make it out his way.

BTW, no wife so clubbing would be :cool:.

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
You're welcome, The JTR's do get it done. If I make it down your way I'll definitely look you up. Same goes for you if you make it out his way.

BTW, no wife so clubbing would be :cool:.
Ah, that's right, I forgot, you're a free man haha, yeah, you'll have a good time.

I told Jeff he's gotta come down for WMC (Winter Music Conference) and bring his stuff. It's when all the industry people come down for a week in March, parties everywhere, but it's very music oriented and lots of business done. Good place for him to show his speakers, make contacts, connections.

After that is Ultra Fest, which is fun, but that's just a party, WMC is much more music oriented and industry. All the best talent from around the world comes to town for it. This year saw John Digweed at Vagabond (if your not an electronic guy, he's a big electronic DJ) in a club small enough where I could just walk up and wave hello. They do their big acts in front of huge crowds then sneak off and do the little quaint clubs they like for the locals.

I was in this crowd:

And sunset cruises...Hernan Cattaneo playing on a boat/barge with Funktion One speakers. :p

DJ Bill Kelly (one of the guys who really made WMC back before I was born) just threw a Memorial Day party down here I went to in the arts district at a club called Cafiena, cover was donated to the vets, great music. Dudes like 60 but still rocks it.

Anyways, done sellin'. San Fran is awesome too, I need to make it there more often.

This DJ Mark Farina is up by you. Look up "Mushroom Jazz" albums. Awesome tunes. Originally from Chicago (where I grew up), lives out there now (of course is in Miami for WMC and other times, so I still get to see him play out)

Last edited by a moderator:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the links ... Watching those videos made me feel old and totally disconnected from current culture. Kinda like Tom Hanks character in Cast Away :eek:

Now, if I could only find that hot Artist farm girl for a happy ending.:D

Ah, that's right, I forgot, you're a free man haha, yeah, you'll have a good time.

I told Jeff he's gotta come down for WMC (Winter Music Conference) and bring his stuff. It's when all the industry people come down for a week in March, parties everywhere, but it's very music oriented and lots of business done. Good place for him to show his speakers, make contacts, connections.

After that is Ultra Fest, which is fun, but that's just a party, WMC is much more music oriented and industry. All the best talent from around the world comes to town for it. This year saw John Digweed at Vagabond (if your not an electronic guy, he's a big electronic DJ) in a club small enough where I could just walk up and wave hello. They do their big acts in front of huge crowds then sneak off and do the little quaint clubs they like for the locals.

I was in this crowd:

And sunset cruises...Hernan Cattaneo playing on a boat/barge with Funktion One speakers. :p

DJ Bill Kelly (one of the guys who really made WMC back before I was born) just threw a Memorial Day party down here I went to in the arts district at a club called Cafiena, cover was donated to the vets, great music. Dudes like 60 but still rocks it.

Anyways, done sellin'. San Fran is awesome too, I need to make it there more often.

This DJ Mark Farina is up by you. Look up "Mushroom Jazz" albums. Awesome tunes. Originally from Chicago (where I grew up), lives out there now (of course is in Miami for WMC and other times, so I still get to see him play out)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
New stuff. I added the new 2012 JTR sealed triple 8's as my surrounds speakers. They are a better sonic match for my 2012 Triple 12's and the sealed design is smaller (not as deep) and so better for my wall mounted application. They are barely viable as they are cut into the side rear most GIK Acoustic panels. I did a brief stereo test with the new sealed units and with a new upgraded CD and Xover, they are the best sounding triple 8's yet.

I said they were barely visible (unfortunately, my photography skills have not improved) ;)

The unchanged Front End (and Ajax, my Jack Russell movie buddy)

Peek behind the Screen at the Triple 12's

That's all folks!

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
So much for no upgrades ... :p

I added a Integra 80.3 primarily for Audyssey XT32 and so far it seems like a good investment. The bass is more "controlled" but still rocks the house when appropriate.

Here are a couple of pics showing the new JTR Triple 8 side surrounds and my unique wall mounting technique.

Bare speaker on the wall (clearly not the fairest of them all :p)

Dressed up with a GIK acoustic panel and some trim.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis