Audioholics Ultimate Subwoofer Shootout Planned

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic
January 4th plus 14 days equals today so I'm hoping to see something posted soon :D
Maybe they are still trying to figure out how to word the other reviews so none out shine AH's goldenboy. :eek:
After all they picked the SVS as thier product of the year and it wouldn't do to have another sub equal or best it.
They would look pretty silly.
They gave it a 5 rating in all catagories cept a 4 for looks. Where do you go from there? A 5+? or reverse yourself?
Can multiple subs be a 5 and still be a 5 for value?

It'll be interesting.

edit* My money says that the next sub posted will be the weakest of the group.

Last edited:
R

RipcordAFF

Audioholic Intern
Maybe they are still trying to figure out how to word the other reviews so none out shine AH's goldenboy. :eek:
After all they picked the SVS as thier product of the year and it wouldn't do to have another sub equal or best it.
They would look pretty silly.
They gave it a 5 rating in all catagories cept a 4 for looks. Where do you go from there? A 5+? or reverse yourself?
Can multiple subs be a 5 and still be a 5 for value?

It'll be interesting.

edit* My money says that the next sub posted will be the weakest of the group.
I would be very disappointed if the Hsu VTF-15 didn't best the SVS...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
"Best" can have lots of meanings.
Like you, I expect great things out of the Hsu, but I am certain the SVS will "best" it in some aspect (I also feel certain the Hsu will "best" the SVS in some aspect). It will, indeed, be interesting to see how it compares to the SVS. Note, however, that the Product Of the Year criteria do not really factor cost, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Hsu wasn't the one to buy unless you just had the extra money to burn!

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
"Best" can have lots of meanings.
Like you, I expect great things out of the Hsu, but I am certain the SVS will "best" it in some aspect (I also feel certain the Hsu will "best" the SVS in some aspect). It will, indeed, be interesting to see how it compares to the SVS. Note, however, that the Product Of the Year criteria do not really factor cost, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Hsu wasn't the one to buy unless you just had the extra money to burn!
The only unknown of the group that's left is the Funky Waves sub...and...I foresee the differences between this group are going to be small change. Could be wrong I suppose. Anyway, I wish the reviews would just get posted :D.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like Svs vs. Hsu flamewar is a brewing...;). Btw..am I the only offical fanboy of funkywaves or what?:eek:.

P

pbmpharmacist

Audioholic Intern
I'm sooo glad that I bought my HSU VTF-15 and didn't wait for these reviews (seriously, the release of these reviews is slow so that I think a lot of people have just given up on them). I'm still interested in reading the review, but I don't think a bad review would change my perspective. I was one of the first ones to buy this sub and I'm very happy with it. Nothing is going to change that.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like Svs vs. Hsu flamewar is a brewing...;). Btw..am I the only offical fanboy of funkywaves or what?:eek:.
I assume the same influences that cause most USA subs to be overpriced by the time they are delivered in CA would make CA subs overpriced by the time they are delivered in USA. I have definitely seen an up-tick in FW sub recommendations for CA residents since the "Ultimate Shoot-out" discussion began. They certainly don't mess around with their choice of drivers!

For many, I think reading the upcoming review will do much to solidify them.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
lol. am i glad i stopped paying attention to this.

same old same old.

"you didn't pick my sub to be the best ... this test is flawed." :rolleyes:

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I would be very disappointed if the Hsu VTF-15 didn't best the SVS...
I would be very surprised if it did perform better than that SVS, given the price difference. Many people seem to imagine a larger woofer diameter means better bass, but the length of the stroke also matters a great deal in the amount of air moved. (It would be like imagining engine displacement were solely determined by piston diameter, instead of it being also a matter of the length of the stroke.)

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic
Someones shoes must be getting heavy, they are dragging their feet.

A

audioholic212

Audioholic
come on AH, post a review already and redeem our pathetic lives....

S

Sputter

Junior Audioholic
Maybe the Emperor has no clothes and they are hoping it all goes away? :eek:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Rythmik Review

Rythmik sub is currently under peer review. It should post by Monday. thanks.

ntrain42

ntrain42

Junior Audioholic
There we go. :) The one Ive been waiting for. Be nice if the reviewer posted THD,GD #'s and measurements at half power as well. ;) Not just max #'s at the point of compression. Hopefully measurements are given with the subsonic filter on/off and the extension/damping controls(lo,med,high/14,20,28hz)at the different settings. The sub has ALOT of tweak controls, hopefully they are covered in full detail. Either way, can't wait to check it out. Just picked up a vented FV to give it a try. Have a number of Rythmik's sealed units and they have been nothing short of outstanding.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis