rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
wow! that table's height and width is exactly 2x4 feet?

(or did you build that in one day?)
The hard part was skinning the alligator.:p

Who are you who are so wise in the dimensions of my furniture? ...

Two extra 242's fit perfectly under the sofa table giving me another mid-wall bass trap. Almost looks like I planned it:p

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Good to hear from you Sensi,
Audyssey is a mystery. It is a good solution for most but I would like more control so will be moving on to something else when I get the time to do some research. I alternate between liking it and then feeling like it really veils the sound. I am going to give it another go with the new treatments layout and see what happens.
Yeah, post how it goes... I don't even get consistant results with it.

I have been running stereo for a while and had the opportunity to run the Audyssey versus the dbX RTA. They are different animals because the dbX only handles two channels (three way each side, tops, mids and bass) ... but running them side by side I've had /much/ better results with the dbX. Of course its 500 bucks for two channels rather than included with a receiver for all your channels, but for controlling your Danley's it might be the ticket. Choose your crossover type/slope/cutoff, parametric eq, limiter for the amps, subharmonic synth, programmable/stores settings.

Are your subwoofers excursion limited or amplifier/power limited? (Does the QSC go into protection first or does the sub make funny noises first?)

Looking forward to your new DIY sub review and pics. The Danley’s have me very content bass wise.
I bet they do, I still haven't heard one though. I want too, because I think I have an application for them. I hear some of their other subs on the regular though.

I put some pictures up of my new setup, but my camera is kinda bum:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53920

The sub is a monster, it can take more power (on order), but it turned out really well. I'll probably build a finished one pretty soon (this cabinet is just unfinished birch ply, I wanted to test it before I finished it). I watched batman the other night and it was a lot of fun. Need to play with placement and stuff, but really when its set flat with the mains I don't need anymore power and the mains can't keep up with it, so, its kind of overkill.

Thanks for the tip on the Crests. The QSC is a bit noisy but it is doing a great job powering the Danley’s and since it is the separate equipment closet I really can’t hear it anyway.
No prob. That QSC is an awesome amp, they deliver again and again. That amp will probably last you a /very/ long time. But, just figured I'd mention it since in the back of my mind I remembered you talking about the noise level.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, post how it goes... I don't even get consistant results with it.

I have been running stereo for a while and had the opportunity to run the Audyssey versus the dbX RTA. They are different animals because the dbX only handles two channels (three way each side, tops, mids and bass) ... but running them side by side I've had /much/ better results with the dbX. Of course its 500 bucks for two channels rather than included with a receiver for all your channels, but for controlling your Danley's it might be the ticket. Choose your crossover type/slope/cutoff, parametric eq, limiter for the amps, subharmonic synth, programmable/stores settings.

Are your subwoofers excursion limited or amplifier/power limited? (Does the QSC go into protection first or does the sub make funny noises first?)
I need a mulit channel PEQ (7.1). I'm still using an Velodyne SMS-1 to EQ the SPUDS. With 8 bands it covers the <100Hz pretty well.

I was able to push a single SPUD to distress but since I got the second no worries;). The QSC has been great ... it's a keeper.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I need a mulit channel PEQ (7.1). I'm still using an Velodyne SMS-1 to EQ the SPUDS. With 8 bands it covers the <100Hz pretty well.

I was able to push a single SPUD to distress but since I got the second no worries;). The QSC has been great ... it's a keeper.
I looked at getting a dbX 4800 or EAQ 8800 but they are big dough. I wish there was a decent solution for home audio.

Haha, yeah, nothing beats headroom.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I finally got around to installing the speaker grills that Jeff P made for my JTR Triple 12LF's. Makes them a little more presentable, don't you think?

Anyway they are still a bit behind the Revel's aesthetically but in terms of dynamics, they will give most "audiophile" speakers a good spanking. :)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yeah, they look nice, and the absence of visible grill pegs are nice (how do they attach?)

are the grills included with the speaker SRP? or separately?

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Those grills look really great. Those speakers are awesome, just not so aesthetically pleasing, until now that is.. really nice upgrade. Those are on my short list for sure...

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
yeah, they look nice, and the absence of visible grill pegs are nice (how do they attach?)

are the grills included with the speaker SRP? or separately?
They are optional. There is also a round metal grill option that just covers the drivers but I prefer the full grills. Mine were ordered after the fact, so Jeff P sent me a template for drilling out the cabinet and installing the anchors. The grills themselves have plastic pegs installed that mate to the anchors. At 8 per speaker that was a lot of drilling (drill baby drill:p) but it turned out nice. Of course if you order them up-front they come pre-installed.

As you can tell, I've turned into a function over form kind of guy, but I really do prefer the new look. ;)

Before

After

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
To finish off the Revel speaker replacement, I just ordered a pair of the new 2010 JTR Triple 8HT's to use as my surrounds paired with my T12LF's. They will be replacing my Revel in-walls.

Due to position limitations I'm going to revert back to a 5.1 setup vs. my current 7.1. I am confident that the increased dynamics of the T8's will more than offset the reduction in speakers from 7 to 5.

My intent is to place them on top of the GIK Pillar Bass Traps pictured below. I am hoping that will be a good height for them as this will place the coaxial mid/tweeter about 5’ off of the floor and a couple of feet above the LP.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
As a little Fathers Day present to myself, I re-configured the room to try the Danley "Couch Sub" as it was intended. My first comment is I wish I had done this months ago. The bass in both rows is excellent and really fun in the 2nd row on top. I re-ran my SMS-1 EQ and Audyssey on my Integra SSP and the FR graphs at all seat locations look/sound really good. I place the subs so that the vent exits are aimed at the side walls rather than front (what I did before) or rear facing exits. The flexibility of this vent placement is really nice and gives you several options.

I ahd used dual SpeakON cables for the front location but I only had a single in-wall SpeakON cable (50') run to the back of the room so I bridged the QSC PLX2502's channels. The SPUDS are wired for 8 Ohm nominal so chaining them made it a 4 Ohm load to the amp. The QSC bridged @ 4 Ohms is rated at 2500W so power is not a problem

I really like this two row config in the room. I may add two more seats to the front row but for the time being, this is a really nice seating/sub arraingment. Sound and view from both rows is great and I think this is going to work and (this is the best part) it cost me nothing.:cool:

Some pics:

2 (small;)) Rows

Dual Spud Riser

New look front minus Spuds

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
you seem to have an unlimited supply of panels :) edit: i didn't realize the whole front area was made up of panels

good change though ... where do you keep your minions btw? (for moving all that stuff every other day. mine are in the basement)

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
you seem to have an unlimited supply of panels :) edit: i didn't realize the whole front area was made up of panels

good change though ... where do you keep your minions btw? (for moving all that stuff other day. mine are in the basement)
Here in America we we give our minions Sunday off.

Good idea keeping them in the basement ... that way they're always handy.:p

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis