adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
OK, big HT working weekend planned. I received the new JTR T8's that will be the surrounds and ordered a pair of the JTR Slanted 8's as surround backs. That means that I will be removing my in-walls and patching sheet rock:(. I'm also working on the HT riser (adding a step), installing two new Berkline chairs and running cables for the new Captivator subs.

The subs and Slanted 8's should be here in mid August and then I will be done ...:p:rolleyes:.
Sorry, I'm sure its in this thread somewhere, but what are your room dimensions again? Just the total ft^3 is fine...

Also, whats the plan to power the new stuff. I'm having trouble keeping up...

you'll have
3 triple 12's
2 triple 8's
2 triple 8 slants
2 captivators
2 danley spud thingies

is that right?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Sorry, I'm sure its in this thread somewhere, but what are your room dimensions again? Just the total ft^3 is fine...

Also, whats the plan to power the new stuff. I'm having trouble keeping up...

you'll have
3 triple 12's
2 triple 8's
2 triple 8 slants
2 captivators
2 danley spud thingies

is that right?
It's approx 3600cf.

Yes, that is the is the speaker/sub config (or will be in Aug when the Caps/Slanted 8's arrive).

Power is a Sunfire 400/7 on a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the 7 JTR speakers, and on another 20 amp circuit I have a QSC PLX2502 powering the Danleys and a Crest CC4000 for the Captivators.

If this rig won't raise the roof I don't know what will.:)

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
If this rig won't raise the roof I don't know what will.:)
I would agree with that... That should be all kinds of fun... The dynamic capability of that system should be nothing short of incredible. Cant wait to hear what you think of it, that is if you leave the room long enough to post about it. I hope you have a laptop...

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I posted a picture of my in progress room changes and was whining about the hard work but somehow it didn't post:confused:so here is the picture from earlier today (minus the whining) as well as one I just took. Basically, I couldn't wait for tomorrow to set up the room even though I still have to texture and paint the patches but I just had to give the new JTR's surrounds a listen. I did a very basic setup level match and had to drop the surround level 10db from my Revel in-walls setting. I put on Porcupine Tree DVD-A that has a song I am very familiar with (Even Less) with great dynamics.

OK hype alert OMG:eek::D

I had the volume -5 from ref and the SPL meter was right @100db with peaks to 108 or so. I had that I can't believe I own this system grin on my face. I know it will go a lot louder (I checked;)) but I really want to keep my hearing for a bit longer.

Bottom line ... I think this is gonna work out just fine ... :cool:

I'm having some neighbors over to watch the Watchmen BR tonight so the extensive testing willhave to wait but I think I am safe in saying that this was a pretty good move.

Couple of pics from the day;

New chairs and riser nearly done.

Last edited:
W

westcott

Audioholic General
I posted a picture of my in progress room changes and was whining about the hard work but somehow it didn't post:confused:so here is the picture from earlier today (minus the whining) as well as one I just took. Basically, I couldn't wait for tomorrow to set up the room even though I still have to texture and paint the patches but I just had to give the new JTR's surrounds a listen. I did a very basic setup level match and had to drop the surround level 10db from my Revel in-walls setting. I put on Porcupine Tree DVD-A that has a song I am very familiar with (Even Less) with great dynamics.

OK hype alert OMG:eek::D

I had the volume -5 from ref and the SPL meter was right @100db with peaks to 108 or so. I had that I can't believe I own this system grin on my face. I know it will go a lot louder (I checked;)) but I really want to keep my hearing for a bit longer.

Bottom line ... I think this is gonna work out just fine ... :cool:

I'm having some neighbors over to watch the Watchmen BR tonight so the extensive testing willhave to wait but I think I am safe in saying that this was a pretty good move.

Couple of pics from the day;
Looks like you are almost done. So what precipicated the rear surround change?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Looks like you are almost done. So what precipicated the rear surround change?
The Revel in-walls were a reasonable match for my Revel Performa and then Ultima LCR's but when I purchased the JTR's, the difference in efficiency and dynamics was noticeable. I didn't know how noticeable until last night.

I had some friends over last night and we watched:p The Watchers. Everyone had heard/liked the system before but all commented on how much better the surrounds sounded. That is with no EQ, only level matched but that is essentially the point. My new JTR Triple 8's are a match (sonic and SPL) for my Triple 12LF LCR's. I ended up staying up well past midnight watching some HD concert DVD's (Eagles, Cream and Chris Botti) and they sounded better than ever. Having such capable surrounds allowed all of the info distributed to those channels to be heard loud and clear ... literally.

I could try and give you the Audiophile metaphors but that really isn't my style. With the addition of the new surrounds the system is sounding amazing.

I know the aesthetic compromises that these types of loudspeakers require are more than most are willing/able to make and if my system were still in my family room, I would feel differently. But in my dedicated space the trade off based upon the results is easy.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I know the aesthetic compromises that these types of loudspeakers require are more than most are willing/able to make
I could deal with compromises like that ... believe me. ;)

W

westcott

Audioholic General
The Revel in-walls were a reasonable match for my Revel Performa and then Ultima LCR's but when I purchased the JTR's, the difference in efficiency and dynamics was noticeable. I didn't know how noticeable until last night.

I had some friends over last night and we watched:p The Watchers. Everyone had heard/liked the system before but all commented on how much better the surrounds sounded. That is with no EQ, only level matched but that is essentially the point. My new JTR Triple 8's are a match (sonic and SPL) for my Triple 12LF LCR's. I ended up staying up well past midnight watching some HD concert DVD's (Eagles, Cream and Chris Botti) and they sounded better than ever. Having such capable surrounds allowed all of the info distributed to those channels to be heard loud and clear ... literally.

I could try and give you the Audiophile metaphors but that really isn't my style. With the addition of the new surrounds the system is sounding amazing.

I know the aesthetic compromises that these types of loudspeakers require are more than most are willing/able to make and if my system were still in my family room, I would feel differently. But in my dedicated space the trade off based upon the results is easy.
I am in the later camp. I do not have a dedicated space but the difference in sound quality was well worth using stand alone speakers and surrounds.

I am glad you appreciate the change in audio quality too!

Congrats!

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Phase one of the most recent changes is complete. The in-wall are gone,wallspatched and painted and the JTR Triple8's are sitting on the GIK Pillar Traps. That places the T8's at 46' off the floor with coax at about 5' and that is just about perfect.

I ran the wires for the surrond backs (JTR Slant 8's) and the Captivator subs that should be here by mid August. Also did another basic calibration *(DVE Bluray) and cleaning of the projector lens/filter.

Couple of pics:

The sub riser (Dual Danley TH-SPUDS under):

The T8's on the Pillar Traps

I've had two movie nights so far and I'm feeling pretty good about these changes. Really nice having a six seaater. :cool:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
After nearly two years, and 509 posts, it still is the "New" HT Room. :D

It would be pretty fun to have someone take all of the photos over the last couple of years, and make one of those stop-animation videos. :D

Just joshin' ya.

I agree about matching the surrounds. At first, I used to think even having to match the front stage was not all that big of a deal, so yeah I've changed my position quite a bit on that. :eek: It's not an absolute must, but if doable, I'd recommend it always. :)

And I can feel you a bit on having more "capable" surrounds. I've now used 3 different models for surrounds over the last two years, and the difference in extension is immediately noticeable, even having had all of them at the same x-over at 80hz. Very easy to tell. I'd have kept the largest ones if I could easily wall/ceiling mount them.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
After nearly two years, and 509 posts, it still is the "New" HT Room. :D

It would be pretty fun to have someone take all of the photos over the last couple of years, and make one of those stop-animation videos. :D

Just joshin' ya.

I agree about matching the surrounds. At first, I used to think even having to match the front stage was not all that big of a deal, so yeah I've changed my position quite a bit on that. :eek: It's not an absolute must, but if doable, I'd recommend it always. :)

And I can feel you a bit on having more "capable" surrounds. I've now used 3 different models for surrounds over the last two years, and the difference in extension is immediately noticeable, even having had all of them at the same x-over at 80hz. Very easy to tell. I'd have kept the largest ones if I could easily wall/ceiling mount them.
Joshin by Josten? :p

The most noticeable difference is with M/C music. The improved sound has me spending way to much for out of print DVD-A's & SACD's.

But movies like Master and Commander also standout. I had never heard that film with anything but my in-wall surrounds and it always sounded good. Now, I know why it got the Academy Award for sound.

Honestly, I can never see myself owning commercial "Audiophile" speakers again. I only wish I had learned of these earlier but then, I would not have the same perspective. All part of the journey I guess.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
New Surrounds

With several movies and 5-6 hours of music listening under my belt, I am amazed at the improvement in the surround sound. The new coax in the T8’s is just outstanding and I am looking forward to getting my T12LF’s upgraded to its counterpart coax and Xover. I used to believe that the surrounds were not that important as long as you have strong LCR’s but when you have 5 or more very capable speakers and a good quality 5 or 7 channel mix, the results can be spectacular.

The T8's are very large (and almost 50lb's) for a wall mounted surround but Jeff P.gave me the idea of using a french cleat and that worked out great. I then cut and slid an acoustic panel over the T8's.

Here are a couple of pics of my in-panel wall mounting solution. I am going to be trimming them out with a piece of crown molding (cosmetic only) to lessen the apparent depth visually.

W

westcott

Audioholic General
With several movies and 5-6 hours of music listening under my belt, I am amazed at the improvement in the surround sound. The new coax in the T8’s is just outstanding and I am looking forward to getting my T12LF’s upgraded to its counterpart coax and Xover. I used to believe that the surrounds were not that important as long as you have strong LCR’s but when you have 5 or more very capable speakers and a good quality 5 or 7 channel mix, the results can be spectacular.

The T8's are very large (and almost 50lb's) for a wall mounted surround but Jeff P.gave me the idea of using a french cleat and that worked out great. I then cut and slid an acoustic panel over the T8's.

Here are a couple of pics of my in-panel wall mounting solution. I am going to be trimming them out with a piece of crown molding (cosmetic only) to lessen the apparent depth visually.
Nice job!

Yeah, cleating is a great way to hang heavy stuff. Plus, if you want to take something with you, it is not so permanent. All my garage cabinets are hung this way so I can take them with me if I ever wanted to move.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Gah...both of you...westcott and rmk...your HT's get in my dreams every now and then. You guys make me envious and gripey about my crappy setup. ;)

RMK, are you getting that Huge Theater sound with those JTR speakers? They aren't the prettiest girl at the dance, but they sure have the rabid following.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Gah...both of you...westcott and rmk...your HT's get in my dreams every now and then. You guys make me envious and gripey about my crappy setup. ;)

RMK, are you getting that Huge Theater sound with those JTR speakers? They aren't the prettiest girl at the dance, but they sure have the rabid following.
They may not be pretty but they put out (if you know what I mean;)).

I am a convert and will not be going back to HiFi speakers for HT.
Been there, done that...:)

Last edited:
W

westcott

Audioholic General
Thanks for the kind words. All I can say is be patient. It took me almost 30 years to finally build a system that I wanted. If you want it bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen someday. I am sure of it.;)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Couple of small changes to the room. The biggest difference/change was to the three acoustic panels on the ceiling. I cut out the old fabric covers and added some crown molding making one large panel. I had painted (against the GIK guys’ recommendations) the panels with the same wall/ceiling paint. I thinned the paint but when I removed the old fabric the paint had ruined the acoustic transparency. The ceiling is an important first reflection point and I was getting little or no benefit after my “paint job” modification. I can definitely hear a difference in SQ since the change.

Old 3 panel look (mostly non-functional)

New Mono Panel (doing it's job)

Also finished the panel cut-in and molding on the JTR Triple 8’s. These speakers are 12.75” deep and I was hoping this panel mod would make them blend better. I have mixed feelings on the looks but the BIG difference in SQ vs. the in-walls makes the aesthetic compromise worthwhile.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis