K

KODG

Junior Audioholic
Room Accoustics

Sound Acoustics Have Been Around Before They Built The Pyramids!
They Actually Dicovered Thousand + Yr. Old Clay/ceramic Pots Used In Old Theaters For Improving Acoustics Of Live Performances.

Tech. Doesn't Last That Long If Their Is No Merit To Them. Be Careful & Make Sure You Don't Over Do The Sound Dampening Panels Or You Might End Up With A "dead Room". Acoustic Diffusior Panels Actually Liven Up The Sound Were Needed. A Combination Of The Two Is The Way To Go.

So Room Accoustics Are Very Important, More So Than Say $13,000 Speaker Cables??

Were Did You Get Those Ht Seats?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Sound Acoustics Have Been Around Before They Built The Pyramids!
They Actually Dicovered Thousand + Yr. Old Clay/ceramic Pots Used In Old Theaters For Improving Acoustics Of Live Performances.

Tech. Doesn't Last That Long If Their Is No Merit To Them. Be Careful & Make Sure You Don't Over Do The Sound Dampening Panels Or You Might End Up With A "dead Room". Acoustic Diffusior Panels Actually Liven Up The Sound Were Needed. A Combination Of The Two Is The Way To Go.

So Room Accoustics Are Very Important, More So Than Say $13,000 Speaker Cables??

Were Did You Get Those Ht Seats?
The seats are the Berkline 45008's in japanese red leather. I bought them here

Thanks for the reference sites. I'm afraid most HT rooms (mine included) are acoustically imperfect. Right or wrong, I have been trying to tame first reflections and for the most part have done that.

Since I have little knowledge of acoustic principles and lack the equipment necessary to correctly measure the rooms full frequency response, it is the trial and error method. Luckily, it is sounding pretty good to me but without something to compare it to, it is a guessing game.

BTW, I agree with you regarding the $13K cables ... I found that $2500 or so is plenty for speaker wire :p.

Thanks for the info sites and your take. The room is

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Here are a couple of pics of the added treatments. I re-ran Audyssey and then tweaked my Velo SMS-1 and the low frequency in room is looking better than ever with very little boosting and just a few cuts.

I ran through several demos and it is all good. These subs and speakers are really something. :D

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Looks like my OPPO BDP-83 is arriving today (advantage of living in CA;)). That means I will be almost certainly be selling my old favorite Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVi (SACD, DVD-A) player and my Panasonic BD-30 Bluray. Interested parties can PM me.

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
Here are a couple of pics of the added treatments. I re-ran Audyssey and then tweaked my Velo SMS-1 and the low frequency in room is looking better than ever with very little boosting and just a few cuts.

I ran through several demos and it is all good. These subs and speakers are really something. :D

wow those look great!!! Mind if I post them on the GIK site?;)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Hi Glen,

Feel free to use any photos you want. You and your guys have been great to work with and I'd be happy to have my HT photos on your site.:cool:

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Glen asked me 3 times if he could use my pictures on his website but I have yet to see them.

Isn't your first reflection the subs behind your speakers?

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Looking good as always!

The tapped horns love loading like that too, I bet. Probably worth a few dB alone just tucked up like that.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Glen asked me 3 times if he could use my pictures on his website but I have yet to see them.

The mosy commonly treated first reflection points are the side walls and ceiling mirror points for the LCR's. Treating the front wall between the speakers can be helpful but in my case the subs have priority (at least for the time being).

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Looking good as always!

The tapped horns love loading like that too, I bet. Probably worth a few dB alone just tucked up like that.

Yes, moving the ports into the corners per Tom Danleys suggestion boosted SPL and the lowest frequencies. They are just about perfect now although the "acoustic message" when they were near field was kinda fun:D.

Last edited:
Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
Either 2 things happened.
1)The picture turned out to not fit right or the smaller sizes was hard to make out
2)My web guy dropped the ball. :D

This might help you understand first reflections (tech term is early reflections) a bit better.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/news_020209.html

Glenn

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I re-ran Audyssey and then tweaked my Velo SMS-1 and the low frequency in room is looking better than ever with very little boosting and just a few cuts.

Just a gentle reminder rmk, cuts are allowed but boosting is a no no!

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Just a gentle reminder rmk, cuts are allowed but boosting is a no no!
That is the conventional wisdom but as with a lot of truisms in AV there are differing opinions on this matter as well. Logically, if it is universally bad to boost a frequency, why do PEQ devices have boost capability in the first place?

If the goal is a smooth FR and a modest boost accomplishes this and doesn't strain the components or more importantly, the sound why not do it? No need to answer as it was a rhetorical question.:)

Last edited:
frankf

frankf

Junior Audioholic
Impressive

Hey Mike beautiful job. I like the JL subs. Are they the 112's or 113's. I have one Fathom 113. My room dimensions are smaller than yours, however I am thinking of getting another sub. JL audio...yes I would like to but the cost factor is an issue. I was thinking about one of SVS cylinder sub. Have not made my mind up at this point.

AXE-MAN....one word for you.....COOL

Last edited by a moderator:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Hey Mike beautiful job. I like the JL subs. Are they the 112's or 113's. I have one Fathom 113. My room dimensions are smaller than yours, however I am thinking of getting another sub. JL audio...yes I would like to but the cost factor is an issue. I was thinking about one of SVS cylinder sub. Have not made my mind up at this point.

AXE-MAN....one word for you.....COOL
I assume this was meant for me but I'm not Mike or Axe-Man athough both have very cool systems;).

I used to own quad Fathoms (two F112's & two F113's) but now (as you can see above) have something completely different. The JL's were great subs and they are providing their new owners lots of enjoyment.

wow those look great!!! Mind if I post them on the GIK site?;)
I saw the picture of my HT you posted on your site and it looks great. That is very cool ... thanks Glenn!

Last edited by a moderator:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
WAF Bass Traps

Building my new equipment closet and allowing for rear access to the rack plus re-locating the Danley subwoofers to the front forced me to eliminate the GIK bass traps that were in the rooms front corners. I have treated the walls and ceiling with GIK 242/244 panels.

I just received two Elite Pillar Bass Traps and have them placed where they look best but I will try some different locations.

I continue to be impressed with the quality and reasonable price of GIK Acoustics products. These are nice looking room treatments with several wood finish and fabric options. Being free standing, they also give you more location options than the Tri Traps and have a higher WAF. Here are a couple of pics.

H

Highbar

Senior Audioholic
Wow they look really nice. How are they working set up in the back of the room?

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Hard to say at this point. I am going to run the Audyssey EQ again and then check out the SMS-1 graphs to see how the LF's have been affected.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Looks really nice man! Bet it sounds amazing. I've been struggling with my Audyssey... any tips? Seems to do more damage than good for me.

Oh, I keep forgetting to tell you, I've been going through prosound amps determining the quietest... the gem: Crest Audio CC series.

The variable speed fan is basically silent. I ordered a 2800 for the sub I built (soon gunna take some pictures), have a 1800 powering it now. It's veeerrrryy quiet.

The Crests I owned before were variable speed but still fairly noisey, so this was a pleasant surprise/bonus when I bought these CC series ones.

I remember you commenting on your PLX's noise, thats why I thought of it. So, if your ever in the market for another amp, take a look at the Crest CC's. Killer amps too... solenoid clip limiting, impedance sensing, dc protection, autoramping on/off. Beast output.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Good to hear from you Sensi,
Audyssey is a mystery. It is a good solution for most but I would like more control so will be moving on to something else when I get the time to do some research. I alternate between liking it and then feeling like it really veils the sound. I am going to give it another go with the new treatments layout and see what happens.
Looking forward to your new DIY sub review and pics. The Danley’s have me very content bass wise.
Thanks for the tip on the Crests. The QSC is a bit noisy but it is doing a great job powering the Danley’s and since it is the separate equipment closet I really can’t hear it anyway.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis