Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
No I never got around to ordering one. Do you guys think its good value add for me to start measuring case temperatures of receivers when I review them to better determine your installation options?
IMHO, I think it would be good value, especially in a case like this where the primary caveat mentioned is that it runs hot.

N

Niels

Audiophyte
Banchmark DAC 1 USB

Please help me - a lazy audiophile - who needs to connect my SONOS-system to my new Z7.

Should I connect SONOS directly to the Z7 (using the DAC in the Z7), or should I use my old Benchmark DAC 1 USB to decode the digital sound.

I know I could actually listen to the two options, but maybe, with a little luck, somebody has done this before me.

Has anyone experimented with this?

Niels / the lazy audiophile

64met

64met

Audioholic
Update.... After tweaking my settings today; I would say I am at 85% completed in terms of dialing my speakers in to produce the best sound. Couple of things to note; however:

1) Updating was a breeze... it took only 7-8 minutes through my wireless network AND

2) So far, no blue artificating!!!

Watched BD Batman and all I can say is WOW!! Dolby Tru HD sounded fantastic and the pic quality was stunning! So far, very pleased w/my purchase and again THANK YOU; Gene!

F

F1Racer

Audiophyte
Rob,

I am trying to secure a Z7 now via Best Buy Magnolia Theater, but they need to special order it and I am waiting on whether they can get it or not. If SQ is important to you, from everything I have read and heard, the Z7 is worth the extra money. Don't get me wrong though, the 3900 sounds great with my system already, so if the Z7 is going to improve that, I'll be quite happy :p !!!

Gregg
Gregg

If you are able to order one of these from BB/Magnolia please let me know. I tried and was unable to get them to do that for me. They indicated that they did not carry the Z line from Yamaha.

Andy

W

wiyosaya

Audioholic
I can count the # of DTS 96/24 titles I own with 1 hand and still have fingers left. I will check this with one of my samples but I don't see it as a show stopper at all. The DSP likely does its processing at 48kHz which isn't a problem and certainly shouldn't be a show stopper for upgrading a DSP-A1 to this unit. I used to own the DSP-A1 years ago and can tell you the Z7 bests it in virtually every category. The only advantage the DSP-A1 had was a bigger power supply but not once did I found the Z7 lacking in power as you will see in my up and coming review.
Thanks for the excellent review.

My question surrounding this would be that if 96/24 sampling in general is affected by this. I'm a relative newbie on this, however, so please forgive my ignorance in the following statement: if it affected DTS HD Master Audio, for instance, I would consider this a drawback. If you look at the Z11 manual, no such statement is included. This leads me to believe that it is one of the areas where Yamaha may have defeatured the Z7 over the Z11 - other than the fact that the Z7 has less sound fields and the amplifier/power supply differences.

Also, one feature that I would like to see is independent HDMI outputs. It seems that these would be useful in situations like sending one HDMI source to one zone and another to a separate zone. In my particular case, I would like to have this available for what I would also like to see in the market place - recording devices that have HDMI inputs ("fair use" rules of course). I would like to be able to watch one source through HDMI while recording another. Yes, I know, this is a "big wish" as is content providers getting over draconian recording restrictions, but at the least, it would be a great feature for multiple zones - assuming the Z7 has the processing power to handle this.

Any chance we might see a firmware upgrade that supports independent HDMI outputs?

Thanks again for the most excellent review.

Best Regards,
Matthew

K

kriktsemaj99

Audioholic Intern
...My question surrounding this would be that if 96/24 sampling in general is affected by this. I'm a relative newbie on this, however, so please forgive my ignorance in the following statement: if it affected DTS HD Master Audio, for instance, I would consider this a drawback. If you look at the Z11 manual, no such statement is included. This leads me to believe that it is one of the areas where Yamaha may have defeatured the Z7 over the Z11 - other than the fact that the Z7 has less sound fields and the amplifier/power supply differences.
The Z7 has the same two DSPs as other models like the RX-V1800/1900/3800/3900. They can all decode any audio bitstream and do basic processing like EQ at 96kHz, but if you want to apply sound field processing on top of that they run out of processing power and have to downsample to 48kHz to keep up. I think Pro Logic IIx can be applied at 96kHz, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

The Z11 has four DSPs and can manage sound field processing at 96kHz. The Z11 manual has the same statement about downsampling, except it's for frequencies higher than 96kHz rather than 48kHz.

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern
The Z7 has the same two DSPs as other models like the RX-V1800/1900/3800/3900. They can all decode any audio bitstream and do basic processing like EQ at 96kHz, but if you want to apply sound field processing on top of that they run out of processing power and have to downsample to 48kHz to keep up. I think Pro Logic IIx can be applied at 96kHz, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

The Z11 has four DSPs and can manage sound field processing at 96kHz. The Z11 manual has the same statement about downsampling, except it's for frequencies higher than 96kHz rather than 48kHz.
I'm a little confused, so I wanted to clarify please--so when you are talking about "sound field processing" are you including decoding DTS Master Audio alone in this? Or does that mean if you are applying some other DSP mode to a DTS Master Audio bitstream?

If so, does that mean that means that when the Z7 is used to decode DTS Master Audio, it comes out as 48 kHz instead of closer to lossless? Can the Z7 play the DTS HD-extension, or is it just playing the DTS core?

How does this compare to other receivers in it's price class (i.e. Pioneer SC-07?)

Sorry for so many questions...

Thanks!

Last edited:
F

FilmMixer

Enthusiast
I'm a little confused, so I wanted to clarify please--so when you are talking about "sound field processing" are you including decoding DTS Master Audio alone in this? Or does that mean if you are applying some other DSP mode to a DTS Master Audio bitstream?

If so, does that mean that means that when the Z7 is used to decode DTS Master Audio, it comes out as 48 kHz instead of closer to lossless? Can the Z7 play the DTS HD-extension, or is it just playing the DTS core?

How does this compare to other receivers in it's price class (i.e. Pioneer SC-07?)

Sorry for so many questions...

Thanks!
As I understand it, it only applies to adding DSP sound field processing to DTS-HD or TrueHD... if you leave the Z7 on Straight, you are hearing the lossless decode, and the Z7 will add eq, bass management, etc without down-sampling.

BTW.. 99% of all BD material is mastered at 48k... we won't be mixing films in 96k and time soon, and going from 96 to 48, and then adding "artificial" processing to it is going to negate the benefits of being 96k in the first place. ;)

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Andy,

No word from BB/Magnolia yet. I've traded e-mails and they haven't said no. I did get an RX-3900 from them, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll let you know what they say...

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Gene,

Thank you for answering this question. I was wondering what your opinon was on the following:

The price difference betweend the RX-3900 and the RX-Z7 is about $800. In terms of SQ, do you think I am better off upgrading to a Z7 or keeping the 3900 and buying an Emotiva XPA-2 or XPA-5 and either hooking up the external 2 channel Amp to my 802's or bi-amping them with the XPA-5 and using the extra amp for my center?

Also, how would you compare the Emotiva's to Rotel's gear? Most seem to like Emotiva, but would I be better off shopping for some pre-owned Rotel amps?

Thanks for your insight in advance...

Gregg

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Emotiva Amps + Emotiva UMC-1

If anyone has any opinions as to the Z7 compared to separates like the Emotiva 5 channel or 7 channel amps + their new UMC-1. Looks like it could be a cheaper proposition than the Z7 running separates.

any advice?

Q

quenthal

Enthusiast

Thanks!

'Sound field processing' means all those Yamaha's proprietary DSP modes and for those 48kHz is used. This kind of sound field processing doesn't matter as much since, afaik, Z7 can apply basic crossover settings etc. over 96kHz sources without downsampling. It may be also possible to apply DPLIIx without downsampling. There is also many combinations which may give too much load for Yamaha's processing capability (decoding bitstreamed DTS HD @ 96kHz and applying eq and DPLIIx). 96kHz sources were somewhat tested with stereo sources with and without DPLII, but final confirmation about this is not available.

Maybe Gene is able to test this at some point? It would be quite interesting to know if 96kHz multichannel sources (bitstreamed or not) with basic eq and DPLIIx requires downsampling to 48kHz or not.

Last edited:
C

cdub

Junior Audioholic
Gene,

Thank you for answering this question. I was wondering what your opinon was on the following:

The price difference betweend the RX-3900 and the RX-Z7 is about $800. In terms of SQ, do you think I am better off upgrading to a Z7 or keeping the 3900 and buying an Emotiva XPA-2 or XPA-5 and either hooking up the external 2 channel Amp to my 802's or bi-amping them with the XPA-5 and using the extra amp for my center?

Also, how would you compare the Emotiva's to Rotel's gear? Most seem to like Emotiva, but would I be better off shopping for some pre-owned Rotel amps?

Thanks for your insight in advance...

Gregg
The Z7 has the 3900 beat feature wise, not to mention the amazing video processing of the Z7 with the ABT 2010 chip vs the 3900's ABT 1010. The Z7 is the first yamaha receiver to get a perfect score in gene's reviews.

I am planning to add an XPA-2 to drive my M80 mains, don't get me wrong, they sound amazing while driven by the Z7's internal amp, but 500 WPC @ 4 ohms will always sound better than what the Z7 can provide with the internal amps.

W

wiyosaya

Audioholic

For the difference in price between the Z7 and Z11, I knew there had to be something else going on. It is clear now that even though the Z7 is an awesome machine, the Z11 is rightly sold at the higher price.

As I understand it, it only applies to adding DSP sound field processing to DTS-HD or TrueHD... if you leave the Z7 on Straight, you are hearing the lossless decode, and the Z7 will add eq, bass management, etc without down-sampling.

BTW.. 99% of all BD material is mastered at 48k... we won't be mixing films in 96k and time soon, and going from 96 to 48, and then adding "artificial" processing to it is going to negate the benefits of being 96k in the first place. ;)
Very interesting reply. So, it sounds like the there should be no loss of quality even if you apply sound fields to any of the current HD audio formats through the Z7. That seems to make the Z7 much more worth the price.

Now if they would only add the ability to have multiple independent HDMI outputs, instead of sending the same material to both HDMI outputs, I would pick one up.

F

FilmMixer

Enthusiast
The Z7 has the 3900 beat feature wise, not to mention the amazing video processing of the Z7 with the ABT 2010 chip vs the 3900's ABT 1010.
That's not correct.. the Z7 and 3900 share the 2010.

The only difference is that you can make picture adjustments and store them on the Z7.

The Z11 has the 1010.

F

FilmMixer

Enthusiast
Welcome to AH, FilmMixer. Nice to see you here. :D
Thanks so much.. I feel very welcome..

Just so people know where I'm coming from, I'm copying a post of my own from somewhere else. ;)

I was sorely in need of cash a couple of weeks ago... so I sold the SC07. I used to have a Denon 4308 that a friend of mine bought about 6 months ago, and he let me borrow it for the interim.

Got my tax return (and it will be the last time I'm ever in a cash flow crunch!!!!!).

I've owned, in the last four years, a Denon 5805, Anthem D2/A2 combo, Denon 5308, Onkyo 905, Denon 4308 and then the Pioneer SC09 and then SC07.

Of all of those I like the SC07 for audio quality in my room (running Strata Minis, Rocket Big Foot 200 Center, Rocket 550's as surrounds and a Velodyne SPL-R1500.)

I thought about going down the route of another SC07.

When I learned about the Z7, it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up in looking at the specs (and I'm a gear slut, so why not try something new?)

The only thing I am really reluctant to give up in the MCACC or Audyssey.. but I've also come to the conclusion that I need to get off my butt and do some more serious room correction on the form of treatments...

Looking very forward to the Z7.. I don't think it will have the effortless power of the SC07 (despite what Gene has said, and how the amps measure, it was as powerful as any solution I've had in my system). the SC07 is an effortless beast, and is smooth, rich and powerful.

I would love to eat my words about that, and have the Z7 be even better. :)

I'll let ya know what happens after I get the Z7 setup tomorrow.

R

robmet1015

Audiophyte
RX-Z7 purchased at?

Getting ready to pull the trigger on the Z7...Was wondering for those that own one already, where your purchased at. Trying to find the best place/price. Thanks guys.

M

mvp2005fan

Audioholic Intern

Many thanks, FilmMixer--that's a lot more encouraging. My Z7 arrived yesterday, the 151 today. Gotta get the TV on the wall after break-in and then let the games begin! :D

C

cdub

Junior Audioholic
That's not correct.. the Z7 and 3900 share the 2010.

The only difference is that you can make picture adjustments and store them on the Z7.

The Z11 has the 1010.
My apologies, I did not see it listed on the yamaha.com spec page for the 3900, so I did some quick searching to determine which chip it had, must have got bad info. Sorry for propagating it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis