Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

N

noopara

Audiophyte
This is #4 - you have to have 5 posts to answer a private message.

Q

quenthal

Enthusiast
I was wondering if we might be able to get an update on how the review is going? I need to make a decision on either the 3900 or Z7 for one of my clients.
Any hints?
I got a private reply to my question but I can't answer it because I don't have enough posts on the board. So here is #2
I'm in similar situation, so I'm also very curious to know about the status of Z7 review.:eek:

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I was wondering if we might be able to get an update on how the review is going? I need to make a decision on either the 3900 or Z7 for one of my clients.
Any hints?
I just finished my review of the Pioneer SC-07 and working on the Z7 now. I will hopefully be done with it before XMAS.

keeip3

keeip3

Audiophyte
Like you noopara, I am interested in the RX-Z7 and am looking forward to the review and a comparison to the SC-07, especially pertaining to the video handling capabilities.

keeip3

keeip3

Audiophyte
I just finished my review of the Pioneer SC-07 and working on the Z7 now. I will hopefully be done with it before XMAS.
Great to hear gene, this will be a welcome Christmas present for all of us awaiting your findings.

keeip3

keeip3

Audiophyte
Paul, I thought you asked meaningful questions and that your intent was not at all hostile towards the forum. Please know by my accounts that you are welcome. If you do create the SA CD thread as Gene has advised please let us know and we or I will follow you along as it is informative to me!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Like you Reg, I will be interested in this thread, if started.

keeip3

keeip3

Audiophyte
I will check this via my XBOX 360 via component video and see if it passes it thru HDMI. I know most processors won't accept 1080p in and its only recently that they have started too. They just added this ability on the flagship Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre/pro.

On another note, I can tell you so far from my bench testing (audio side) this is one NICE receiver and kicks the pants out of a similarly priced Pioneer Elite model I am testing, at least from a pure measurements perspective. Audio testing commences this week!
gene,what would this mean for connecting a PS3 to this unit, since this handles the upconversion to 1080p and therefore will be feeding this to the unit?

keeip3

keeip3

Audiophyte
Hi fellow members. Let me just say I am somewhat of a newbee, hence I am asking for any experienced opinions on the following. I have a newly constructed room all concrete construction, approx 10' wide 15' in length, to be used as my main entertainment area. I am considering using the RX-Z7 with 2 Klipsch KS-7800 as side surround speakers, 3 KL-7800 as LCR speakers, 1 RW-5802 subwoofer powered by its accompanying RSA-5000 amp and two more KL-7800as rear surrounds, all THX capable, creating a 7.1 system. I am also looking at expanding my system to encoporate other areas of the house eventually. Bed & living rooms and kitchen.
With this in mind could you give me your opinion on the following:
  • The suitability of using the RX-Z7 as opposed to the SC-07 (I am looking at using a KURO TV)
  • The appropriateness of these speakers in unison with the RX-Z7
  • The potential problems, if any, with the use of the amp with the RX-Z7?

Thanks in advance.

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
Update:

Neither the Yamaha RX-Z7 or Pioneer SC-07 will take in a 1080p component video signal and pass it out via HDMI. They both will take in 1080i though...
I've never used HDMI. I will, though, when we upgrade our CRT TV whenever it dies.

Zumbo makes a great case for using the Z7 as a pre/pro (I have a separate amp, and am using my Yammy 659 as a pre/pro now). What does your Z7/HDMI comment mean in the real world?

Yup, it's a newbie question, I realize. :)

Chris

keeip3

keeip3

Audiophyte
Additionally, I have noticed that the RX-Z7, like most electronic items for the US, is 120/60 Hz. My environment is 120/50 Hz, would this difference cause any operational problems in the short or long term which could result in damage to the unit?

shunter

Audiophyte
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiyosaya
"I downloaded the English version of the manual for the RX-Z7 and the notes on page 46 concern me.

They state:

When you play back DTS 96/24 sources with any sound field program, this unit applies the selected program without activating the DTS 96/24 decoder.

Huh?

Sampling frequencies higher than 48 kHz are sampled down to 48 kHz or lower and then the sound fields are applied.

Seems like interesting behavior for a flagship line receiver. I have a query in to Yamaha on this and have not yet gotten anything more than we will get back to you on it - though that response came from a real person.

I have to wonder what else besides video processing is going to distinguish this receiver over the 3900 to make it worth the extra cost.

I own an RX-V2500 now, and I was initially very excited about the RX-Z7; however, now I think I will wait for reviews before I make a final decision to purchase on. "

Hi:

Does anyone have update on the sampling down of the frequencies when played with the sound field programs?

Unfortunately, this would be a deal breaker for me. I use the sound field programs exclusively when playing movies. I have a DSP-A1 and it is incredible. It would seem that buying the Z7 would be a lateral move for me since the DSP-A1 does 48kHz for the sound field programs already. I guess it would make more sense to buy a blueray player that decodes TrueDD and DTS Master and use the external decoder inputs. I would not be able to use the sound field programs, but that would put it even to the Z7.

Best,
SHunter

Q

qdemn7

Enthusiast
Newbie here, first post. Just replaced my 5 year old RX-V1400 with an RX-Z7 on 12/26/2008. Two immediate gripes:

(1) The speaker terminals DO NOT use a standard fixed banana plug spacing like the RX-V1400. So until I get some new individual bananas I have to use bare wire.

(2) I've bought a lot of computer components in the last 6 years, but this is the first new piece of A/V equipment in 4 years, and this receiver has the worst electronic "odor" of anything I have very owned. When I first opened the box, I had to open the windows it was that bad. Even after 24 hours the odor is still there.

A

Azz123

Junior Audioholic
Newbie here, first post. Just replaced my 5 year old RX-V1400 with an RX-Z7 on 12/26/2008. Two immediate gripes:

(2) I've bought a lot of computer components in the last 6 years, but this is the first new piece of A/V equipment in 4 years, and this receiver has the worst electronic "odor" of anything I have very owned. When I first opened the box, I had to open the windows it was that bad. Even after 24 hours the odor is still there.
I found it didn't taste very nice when I lick it either... :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Wow that's strange. I actually like the smell of the Z7, especially when I am cooking the amps with my 4 ohm test loads :) Maybe there was a rabid skunk on the loose at the factory and it sprayed your Z7 before being boxed up :D

gene,what would this mean for connecting a PS3 to this unit, since this handles the upconversion to 1080p and therefore will be feeding this to the unit?
If you're using HDMI you will be fine. No product on the market can upconvert 1080p via component video to HDMI that I know of.

When you play back DTS 96/24 sources with any sound field program, this unit applies the selected program without activating the DTS 96/24 decoder.

Huh?

Sampling frequencies higher than 48 kHz are sampled down to 48 kHz or lower and then the sound fields are applied.

Seems like interesting behavior for a flagship line receiver. I have a query in to Yamaha on this and have not yet gotten anything more than we will get back to you on it - though that response came from a real person.

I have to wonder what else besides video processing is going to distinguish this receiver over the 3900 to make it worth the extra cost.

I own an RX-V2500 now, and I was initially very excited about the RX-Z7; however, now I think I will wait for reviews before I make a final decision to purchase on. "
I can count the # of DTS 96/24 titles I own with 1 hand and still have fingers left. I will check this with one of my samples but I don't see it as a show stopper at all. The DSP likely does its processing at 48kHz which isn't a problem and certainly shouldn't be a show stopper for upgrading a DSP-A1 to this unit. I used to own the DSP-A1 years ago and can tell you the Z7 bests it in virtually every category. The only advantage the DSP-A1 had was a bigger power supply but not once did I found the Z7 lacking in power as you will see in my up and coming review.

T

tua09788

Audiophyte
Yamaha rx z7 vs Pioneer Elite sc-07

Hey all, this is my first post, haha congrats to me. I'm thinking about getting either the z7 or the sc-07 for my setup. The speakers that would be hooked up to it are Vienna Acoustic Beethovens and the Vienna Acoustic Maestro. Later I will get some matching Haydens or waltzes to complete it. My movie/music split is 60/40. I pretty much listen to everything except country. I couldn't find any places that have these receivers up, let alone hooked up to any 4 ohm speakers. I did read that Gene is going to compare the z7 and the sc-07. I was curious about what other people thought. And Gene...are you enjoying the z7...I'm leaning toward the Yamaha. Looking forward to your in depth analysis.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis