Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Z7 vs Separates?

Does anyone have any opinions regarding the Z7 or 3900 Yamaha vs Emotiva separates?

I need to make a decision this week and am wondering if I should keep my 3900 to power my Center and Rears and buy an XPA-2 for my mains from Emotiva, or if I should do a 5 channel amp from Emotiva and wait for their new Pre/Pro to come out.

Can you guys lend me some advice?

I was thinking about just doing a Z7 initially, but I don't think it has the juice, even bi-amping it to power my B&W 802's that can handle 500w at 8ohms...

Gregg

F

FilmMixer

Enthusiast
Does anyone have any opinions regarding the Z7 or 3900 Yamaha vs Emotiva separates?

I need to make a decision this week and am wondering if I should keep my 3900 to power my Center and Rears and buy an XPA-2 for my mains from Emotiva, or if I should do a 5 channel amp from Emotiva and wait for their new Pre/Pro to come out.

Can you guys lend me some advice?

I was thinking about just doing a Z7 initially, but I don't think it has the juice, even bi-amping it to power my B&W 802's that can handle 500w at 8ohms...

Gregg
Gregg.. the Emo pre seems like it will be an amazing bang for the buck.

That being said, I think you also need to look at the extra functionality and features of the Yamahas.

They have a much better video solution.
Thay have a very mature DSP architecture, and as you've seen in the amount of time that Emotive has taken to get this thing to market, these are tough to design and execute properly.
The Emos room eq solution is an unknown.
The Yamaha has HD Radio, streaming, etc..

If the prices are close (and with amplification it is close) I'd go with the 3900/Z7...

For me, the immaturity of the Emo and all of the unknowns at this point, would be a deal breaker if I had to make a decision today.

And this is coming form someone who used to own the Emo Big Dogs when they first came out.

If you do go down the Emo route, please make sure you come back and let us know how it works out. :)

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is the Z7 capable of running two HDMI sources simultaneously?

For example, my HDMI 360 to the living room plasma through HDMI-Out and my HDMI Cable Box to the bedroom LCD through Zone2 Component-Out?

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
FilmMixer,

Thanks for your input. Do you think I should just keep my 3900 then and purchase the big XPA-2 from Emotiva? This way, I can give my B&W 802's ample power, keep the video and DSP's of the Yamaha and use the internal Amps to power my Center and Surrounds?

I was thinking this might be my best solution. It is about the same cost as the Z7 and I think that my 2 channel stereo will be better with the Yamaha/Emo Amp combo. What do you think?

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
FilmMixer,

Forgot to mention, I was also considering keeping the Yamaha and purchasing the XPA-5 which is Emo's 5 channel Amp to bi-amp my mains and power my Center. Then I can use my 3900 as my Processor and to power my rears...

Anyone elses input is greatly appreciated as well. I think that the combo of the Emo/Yamaha may be better than just going with a Z7, but I'm kind of new with this Audiophile stuff.

P

pbenj

Enthusiast
I can't wait...

I ordered an RX-Z7 on Wednesday and it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow! I can't wait! Yah!

G

greggp2

Senior Audioholic
Pbenj,

Congrats. I the Z7 is supposed to be a great piece of equipment. Where did you order it from?

A

Alien

Audiophyte

For example, my HDMI 360 to the living room plasma through HDMI-Out and my HDMI Cable Box to the bedroom LCD through Zone2 Component-Out?
My interpretation of the manual (P22) it that HDMI sources can only be seen via the HDMI output no down conversion from HDMI in to analog out is possible.

F

FilmMixer

Enthusiast

The Yamaha will not downconvert HDMI to component (the only AVR or Processor I've seen so far to do that is the upcoming Emotiva)..

However, I would strongly suggest hooking up the cable box via component and optical... the quality will be the same, and you'll have many more options as far as zones. :)

F

F1Racer

Audiophyte
I thought about going down the route of another SC07.

When I learned about the Z7, it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up in looking at the specs (and I'm a gear slut, so why not try something new?)

The only thing I am really reluctant to give up in the MCACC or Audyssey.. but I've also come to the conclusion that I need to get off my butt and do some more serious room correction on the form of treatments...

Looking very forward to the Z7.. I don't think it will have the effortless power of the SC07 (despite what Gene has said, and how the amps measure, it was as powerful as any solution I've had in my system). the SC07 is an effortless beast, and is smooth, rich and powerful.

I would love to eat my words about that, and have the Z7 be even better. :)

I'll let ya know what happens after I get the Z7 setup tomorrow.
FilmMixer,

I am in the same situation, I have and SC07 now and recently owned (or rented) a 3900. I found the sound musically to be better on the Pioneer and soundtracks to be a little more enveloping. However, the SC07 has drawbacks that may outweigh the pluses. Noteably, my iPod touch will not work, losses connection to PC after a few minutes, no HD radio and no web control. I have a few more days to return SC07. Still undecided...

Andy

P

pbenj

Enthusiast
Pbenj,

Congrats. I the Z7 is supposed to be a great piece of equipment. Where did you order it from?
Thank you! I can't wait :)

I ordered it from 6AVE. I used the code AFLAUD25 and spoke and placed my order with Roberto at X8609. He was very polite and professional.

I previously owned a RX-V3800 and sold it a few months ago. Sound wise I was very happy with it. However, I didn't like the fact it clipped BTB and WTW. In addition to the 3800 I have owned the RX-V800, RX-V2200 & RX-V1400.

So the Z7 will be hooked up to Definitive Technology BP2006TL mains, CLR2300 and BP2x's. I have been without a unit for a while and I can't wait to have some quality music back in the house.

I'll let you all know what I think about the end to end transaction with 6AVE and with how the Z7 sounds with my equipment.

Nemo128

Nemo128

The Yamaha will not downconvert HDMI to component (the only AVR or Processor I've seen so far to do that is the upcoming Emotiva)..

However, I would strongly suggest hooking up the cable box via component and optical... the quality will be the same, and you'll have many more options as far as zones. :)
I'll have to look into that Emotiva...

The cable box to component is not a problem, but the 360 to component I would not be happy with. I stream 1080p WMV-HD through my 360 to my plasma, and many 360 games are 1080p. Although I wouldn't mind using the 360 through component on the 37" LCD, the plasma looks much better with it running at 1080p.

Both good ideas though, thanks! Problem is, my Onkyo still isn't capable of it, and this Z7 looks very promising.

R

Ritzie

Audiophyte
Zones

I'm a newbie when it comes to zones. How are they setup? Do I need a receiver in each room?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Simultaneous HDMI Output

All;

According to my source at Yamaha, the RX-Z7 will do simultaneous output of both HDMI outputs and scale to the display with the lowest resolution unless you force it higher which is why you have control of output 1 or 2.

F

FilmMixer

Enthusiast
Quick first impressions..

No audio impressions yet.

After having owned the Denon 5805, 5308 and 4308, Onkyo 905 and Pioneer SC07, I was surprised at the relatively compact form and weight of the Z7... it just feels smaller and lighter, but with a bit of mass.

Packed well, and it looks as if all of the styrofoam inserts are the same, so not a lot of fumbling if you have to but it away for any reason.. (It's the small things for me, and I go through so much gear, I notice these things.)

Finish is much like the Denon's... nicer than the Onkyo. The Pioneer is very expensive looking, but it's a finger print magnet.

Was amused to see a "CAUTION: Hot Surface" warning stenciled on the top of the receiver after reading Gene's review.

AC receptacle was loose until you really pushed the cord in... now a good, snug fit.

First thing I did was turn it on and make sure it was seeing my network... it was already configured and ready to go.... tested the Web Browser interface.. very slick... nice graphics, and the receiver is very responsive to changing sources, volume, etc through this method.

I then proceeded to do the firmware update.. my unit came with 1.02.

I did it through the network... When you go into the Advanced Setup mode and scroll to the Firmware Update setting, it is on USB... I changed it sot Network and hit the button to enter... It started immediately (no searching for network, server, etc.. On the Denon it takes 20-30 seconds to check the server and then another 20 to see if there is an update...) This was instant.

Took around 15 minutes.

So a quick setup just to see if everything was connected all right...

As Gene had mentioned also, the remote must be pointed a little more precisely than other units... My gear is behind me and my theater seats to my left, so I use the wall to my right to shoot off signals... it's definitely more finicky than the Pio or Denons, but usable.

The setup menu was a little pokey, but works great.. tons of options and it seems very smart and well laid out (i.e. I noticed the video options were grayed out until I changed the video from Through to Processing... nice.)

Other than that, the unit was amazingly quick to change DSP modes and it has a great display on screen status mode that shows input, codec, DSP program, channel count, sampling rate, dialog normalization offset, etc... really quick and fast to access with one button push (unlike the Denon which make you go down into a menu tree...)

I'll do setup today, and get to the audio later.

But the last thing I'm really happy about is the quality of the video.. the unit was in pass through, and I have to say that the Blu Ray I was looking at looked amazing.. clean and pristine... I had just taken the Denon 4308 out earlier, and my memory was that the Denon had a little haze on it, even though the processing was supposedly "off." The look of the picture reminded me of my old Anthem D2 in the best way... maybe it was the fatigue (I did this late last night) but I know that I'm going to be thrilled with the video on this (I also checked out Directv upscaled to 1080p and it also looked fantastic.)...

Long post, with nit pick details, but I'll keep it coming... :D

Nemo128

Nemo128

All;

According to my source at Yamaha, the RX-Z7 will do simultaneous output of both HDMI outputs and scale to the display with the lowest resolution unless you force it higher which is why you have control of output 1 or 2.
So far so awesome, BUT...

Can I output a different source on each HDMI output? If so, Yammy most likely has a new customer.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Can I output a different source on each HDMI output? If so, Yammy most likely has a new customer.
No and I don't know of any consumer products that can.

Nemo128

Nemo128

That's fine, BUT...

Can it output HDMI-connected sources through Zone 2 video output? I know it would require DAC, but I hope I can find something to do this!

F

FilmMixer

Enthusiast
That's fine, BUT...

Can it output HDMI-connected sources through Zone 2 video output? I know it would require DAC, but I hope I can find something to do this!
The only product I've ever heard of converting HDMI to analog is the new Emo Pre/Pro... However, it's highly doubtful that it would be a different source than the main zone.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis