Official Yamaha RX-Z7 Receiver Review Thread

F

FilmMixer

Enthusiast
Another setup note on the new Z7..

I programmed my Harmony 880 for use with the Yamaha... it works much better than the stock remote in regards to range and angle. :)

J

jayhawk069

Enthusiast
firmware question

Are the settings maintained when firmware is updated?

A

artoj

Audiophyte
I think that Z11 has 1018 not 1010.

Anyway, while it is clear that Z7 has better video than Z11 but what about sound is Z11 better than Z7 or....

That's not correct.. the Z7 and 3900 share the 2010.

The only difference is that you can make picture adjustments and store them on the Z7.

The Z11 has the 1010.

C

Curtis

Audiophyte
Simplified Remote controlling Zones

Gene,

I'm new to the forums. Terrific review of the Yamaha RX-Z7. Your review and this thread have convinced me to buy the Z7. I would like to point out a statement made in your review that seems to contradict the Z7 user manual.

"The little RAV36 was a huge disappointment in my book as it virtually the same useless secondary remote Yamaha ships with their venerable RX-Z11 receiver. Unlike their previous mini remotes that traditionally were meant to operate the other zones, this remote offers no such function. Instead it offers basic access to the main zone OSD, inputs, memory settings and volume control."

Page 123 of the owners manual seems to indicate that the simplified remote can be set to control the Main, Zone 2, Zone 3, & Zone 4.

Can you confirm if this correct?

Thanks again for the great in-depth review, and the work to resolve the video line issue.:)

Curtis

C

Curtis

Audiophyte
Multi-Zone configuration

Could someone confirm this capability for me with the Z7?

I would like to ensure that the audio input on one of the HDMI inputs can be output to zone2 etc. The owners manual seems to indicate that this can be done only in party mode.

Bottom line. I would like to listen in zone2 to the HD football game input from the cable box on HDMI and still be able to hear and watch the game in the main zone.

Thanks again,

Curtis

F

fcooke

Audiophyte
Subwoofer Query

My comments were mostly pertaining to 2CH sources played back in PLIIX Music/Movie mode. In that case the sub crossover is based on whatever the main speakers are set to. Thus if the mains are set to 60Hz and the rears to 100Hz than the bass crossed over from 60-100Hz of the rears wont be recombined into the sub. Is this a big deal? Not really since its a 2CH source and the bass is derived from the main channels anyways.

For discrete 5.1 sources, I am fairly sure it will recombine correctly to the sub but I didn't get a chance to test it. Audio Precision is sending me their new 8CH HDMI Audio Analyzer which will make this type of testing a breeze to do and I will be looking at it in more detail in the future.

I do however suggest keeping xovers between channel groups no more than 20-30Hz difference. I found this works best in PLIIx mode which I use almost extensively for 2CH sources.

Hi Gene. Many thanks for such an informative review. Based on this I upgraded to the identical DSP-Z7 here in Scotland. (Identical except price at over $3,000....)

Couple of queries I hope you could help me on:

- on the subwoofer set up I have a wife-friendly B&W Mini Theatre 30 system with the M-1 surrounds dominated by the PV 1 sub. The Yamaha manual says in the set up process to turn sub crossover to max and the volume to under 1/2 before set up. Dumb question - after calibrating I presume you turn the crossover and volume back down to desired levels? The UK manual doesn't actually say...

- on my set up even though the 5 M-1 speakers are identical the Z7 calibrated the fronts as large with a crossover of 60hz, the centre large with a crossover of 80hz and the rears as small with a crossover of 100hz... I reset these post event to all small with 100hz crossover and the equaliser as Flat as your recommendation. The set up also switched the bass output to front only. Very weird. When I changed this back to sub only, flat equaliser and all small speakers with 100hz I recalibrated and unticked the "size" option in the auto set up. When run through auto set up again it went back to these odd results including the bass to front only even though I had switched the speaker size option off. Question is when I reset the speakers back to a more sensible level as small and 100hz do all the equalising set up permutations it takes so long to calculate become invalid???

- my last query is on the banding problem you mentioned in the video processing section. It is really obvious to me when the unit processes poorer quality SD pictures. I upgraded to the latest firmware, 1.05 and the problem is still there. Is there a later firmware upgrade to fix this that you mention a March release on? You mentioned your Wii set up video settings which work a treat, do you have any other generic recommended settings for HD/Blu Ray, PS3, and SD cable tv?

Thanks

Finlay

A

Azz123

Junior Audioholic
Could someone confirm this capability for me with the Z7?

I would like to ensure that the audio input on one of the HDMI inputs can be output to zone2 etc. The owners manual seems to indicate that this can be done only in party mode.

Bottom line. I would like to listen in zone2 to the HD football game input from the cable box on HDMI and still be able to hear and watch the game in the main zone.

Thanks again,

Curtis
Curtis,
I would imagine that this would depend on if the cable box is send a digital or analogue signal over HDMI. If it's Digital my thoughts are that this wont work. you may have run run an analogue pair from the cable box to the AVR as well as the HDMI. That way Zone 2 will be able to use the analogue inputs then it will work.

K

kriktsemaj99

Audioholic Intern
Curtis,
I would imagine that this would depend on if the cable box is send a digital or analogue signal over HDMI. If it's Digital my thoughts are that this wont work. you may have run run an analogue pair from the cable box to the AVR as well as the HDMI. That way Zone 2 will be able to use the analogue inputs then it will work.
There's no such thing as an analog signal over HDMI, so you would have to connect the cable box analog output to the Z7 as well as the HDMI output in order to use it in zone 2. Not normally a problem, so it's an easy workaround to the zone limitation of analog only.

K

kriktsemaj99

Audioholic Intern
... The Yamaha manual says in the set up process to turn sub crossover to max and the volume to under 1/2 before set up. Dumb question - after calibrating I presume you turn the crossover and volume back down to desired levels? The UK manual doesn't actually say...
No, you leave it set that way because the Z7 is going to handle the crossover and volume, and the auto-setup should set the correct values. If you like more/less bass and want to make adjustments afterwards, you would normally do it on the receiver with the SW level (it's easier to make precise adjustments digitally than with the volume knob on the sub).

A

Azz123

Junior Audioholic
There's no such thing as an analog signal over HDMI, so you would have to connect the cable box analog output to the Z7 as well as the HDMI output in order to use it in zone 2. Not normally a problem, so it's an easy workaround to the zone limitation of analog only.
Sorry, PCM vs. Digital - DD/DTS

C

Curtis

Audiophyte
HDMI audio downconvert to other zones.

Curtis,
I understand the work around and thanks. I wanted someone with the Z7 to verify if while in "party mode" the Z7 would downconvert the HDMI digital audio for output on zone 2. The manual seems to indicate that it will.

Thanks,

Curtis

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I understand the work around and thanks. I wanted someone with the Z7 to verify if while in "party mode" the Z7 would downconvert the HDMI digital audio for output on zone 2. The manual seems to indicate that it will.
I believe it does since I listen to DVD's in my other zones but I also connected analog cables to my DVD player as well. I will check on this and get back...

BTW, thanks for the correction on the mini remote. Apparantly Yamaha missed that in my review when they tech peered it. The Mini remote can be set to control other zones as per the user manual on page 123. Kinda stinks b/c now I've got less to complain about ;)

M

mrobb

Enthusiast
front presense speakers

hi newby here i have been looking at getting a new amp for about 2months now and was trying to decide against this yamaha a pinoeer sc-07 or a denon 4308 when i read the review on the pio and the problem with 4ohm loads this put me off so have narrowed it down to 2 now. I currently have an old denon 3802 which runs the 4 rears 8ohm and centre 4 ohm with the left and right fronts 4ohm being driven by an arcam a85 2 channel amp through the external left right . Previous to thisi had a yamaha dsp A1 which was awesome for movies but not so hot on s channel stero but made use of the front surrounds on this amp which are still sitting there on the wall but haven't been used since I got the denon. 1. Can you run front surrounds eg prensense from this?, and if you can would I have a problem if I was running the arcam as above.
so i eagerly am awaiting filmixers audio review.

R

Ritzie

Audiophyte
Quick question on calibrating. What volume should the AVR be when calibrating the speakers? Do I keep raising it up till the left speaker hits 75dB? Thanks!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Yes it does! I just tested this. It will not downconvert the HDMI audio if you just turn on the other zones. You must use "Party Mode" for it to do it. I still recommend running an extra pair of analog cables from your DVD player to the Z7 as a backup though....

F

FilmMixer

Enthusiast
Still no audio review yet. :( Ears still aren't up to it...

I found a neat geek feature today... You can individually mute speakers... It can be a really great way to analyze a soundtrack.

C

Curtis

Audiophyte
HDMI downconvert to other zones in "party mode"

Yes it does! I just tested this. It will not downconvert the HDMI audio if you just turn on the other zones. You must use "Party Mode" for it to do it. I still recommend running an extra pair of analog cables from your DVD player to the Z7 as a backup though....
Gene,

Thanks again for all your effort. These AVR's are getting more & complicated trying to be everything for everybody it's understandable that you must struggle to cover all the features you consider relevant.

BTW I think this "Party Mode" is one more difference between the Z7 & the V3900.

Man this thing is sweet.

Regards,

Curtis

P

PaulF

Audioholic
Gene or any owners of the Z7, can you provide more details on the following features mentioned here and on other threads.

- Gene's review says the Z7 does not provide any processing or enhancements on the component video inputs. Does this mean the unit will not perform any noise reduction or detail enhancement? According to the manual the unit will convert between any type of analog video and even digital. If you, say, input s-video and output component, are the video processing features available then?

- Can you explain the restriction on switched AC. Does standby mode not switch off other equipment connected via the switch AC outlets?

- Gene, can you help me interpret your charts. On the THD vs Power I am used to seeing a J curve. Is there a correlation between the blue and red plots on your chart? On the output impedance you say it fell within your 100mohm mark for the entire audio bandwidth but the way the chart reads to me is from 105-200 mohms. Maybe I am misreading, just curious.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
BTW I think this "Party Mode" is one more difference between the Z7 & the V3900.
hmm I need to check that as its quite a useful feature that may be lacking on the 3900.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis