Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

S

swank501

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys, I finally have everything either here or on order.
Went with:
Yamaha 663
Mythos Solo soundbar
Mythos Gem rear surrounds
eD A5-550 sub

a question for you Gurus.......... I have the 5.1 setup, but I was able to get the stuff at such great deals that I'm well under budget. I was thinking about adding another set of Mythos gems or some BP1.2x surrounds to get 7.1 surround and more speakers for music listening. If the price weren't an issie, which would you get or would you just leave well enough alone?

I

ineedagirl69

Audioholic Intern
The 29 Hz @ -3dB is ANECHOIC chamber measurements done by Definitive Technology @ 1 meter away.

Tom Nousaine (Sound & Vision) does his measurements @ 2 meters away in a 7,500 c.f. room.

In my experience, bass limits are @ -6dB or -10dB below the Sensitivity Reference level (usually 85 - 90 dB). When they say "bass limits", they have to specify @ which volume level (like 25 Hz @ 75dB, etc.).

Practically all 3rd party measurements (HT, S&V, etc.) will not be as good as the manufacturer. This is true for most companies including B&W, Paradigm, NHT, etc.

Your small room should get BETTER (lower) bass response than a larger room.
Ok thanks.

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
I need to know where to find some BP7001SC's, the CLR2500 and teh BPV's in the DFW area (Texas)... I know BB Magnolia has the 7002's and under, but I want the 7001's, who sells them? Closest and best price?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I need to know where to find some BP7001SC's, the CLR2500 and teh BPV's in the DFW area (Texas)... I know BB Magnolia has the 7002's and under, but I want the 7001's, who sells them? Closest and best price?
If only you were living in OKC.

I bought every single Def Tech from a local DefTech authorized dealer (Ultimate Electronics) for a great price.

You could also order over the phone and drive to OKC to pick up.

PM me if you are interested.

Otherwise, itschris ordered his DefTech from Digitalcraze.

I talked to Abe Electronics once and they actually price-matched Digitalcraze!

I don't think digitalcraze is authorized, but Abe Electronics is authorized.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey guys, I finally have everything either here or on order.
Went with:
Yamaha 663
Mythos Solo soundbar
Mythos Gem rear surrounds
eD A5-550 sub

a question for you Gurus.......... I have the 5.1 setup, but I was able to get the stuff at such great deals that I'm well under budget. I was thinking about adding another set of Mythos gems or some BP1.2x surrounds to get 7.1 surround and more speakers for music listening. If the price weren't an issie, which would you get or would you just leave well enough alone?
I thought the Mythos Solo was a surround bar. Takes 5 channels from source.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
Settings!

So, on my Onkyo AVR, should the speakers be set to small or large? Right now I have them set to large, haven't tried them on small. Curious what you guys have yours set to.

Also considering selling the entire system and getting something totally different if I get the system critiqued and something else can do the job better.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Nemo, I have my BP7001sc set as small and crossover at 40Hz in my Onkyo 805. I used to run it large, but felt the bass dropped off dramatically after around 30hz. I also felt the bass was a tad bloated sounding (I'm using this along with my SVS NSD12/2. Once I set the speakers to small and crossed over at 40Hz the bass tightened up alot and my sub now handles the real ultra low frequency ranges. For my room it worked best this way. I have read over at AVS DefTech thread alot of people are finding they get better bass response by setting it to small and croosover at 40Hz or 30Hz (if the persons' preamp goes that low). This is universal either with the STS series or the BP series. Again everyones room is different, so I would try it both ways and see what works best for you.

jiro77

jiro77

Enthusiast
Question for Matt....

Matt, are you running LFE to your 7001sc's and your sub?? I receieved my SVS sub last week. I am just starting to play around with placement/configuration of my subwoofer, and my bp7002. I know that the internal circuitry of the bp7002's will send a signal to the integrated subwoofer without LFE from the reciever. I was wondering how other people have theirs setup and which they prefer.

Last edited:
D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
Matt, are you running LFE to your 7001sc's and your sub?? I receieved my SVS sub last week. I am just starting to play around with placement/configuration of my subwoofer, and my bp7002. I know that the internal circuitry of the bp7002's will send a signal to the integrated subwoofer without LFE from the reciever. I was wondering how other people have theirs setup and which they prefer.
I have mine set to large, with LFE going only to the SVS. When I watch movies, I have my receiver set "both" which sends bass below 80 hz to sub & speakers in addition to LFE to sub. When I listen to music, I prefer to listen w/o the sub and set the receiver to "no sub".

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
jiro, I used to use "Double Bass" so bass at one time was being sent to both the DT's and the SVS, but I noticed the bass was overwhelming and bloated sounding. (not from the SVS mind you) So then I tried setting the DT's to small and have them hooked up just via 14 guage speaker wire and letting the DT's internal crossover handle the signal. My reciever has set the crossover at 40hz (so anything below that goes to the SVS. I also don't get conflicting bass. What i mean is if you have double bass on and say the director has a shot where bass is just needed in the left front, it won't also go to the sub giving you conflicting bass. When done as small and crossoved over at 40Hz, the bass was tighter, more controlled and I never had a problem with that bloated sound. Hope that helps.

jiro77

jiro77

Enthusiast
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jiro, I used to use "Double Bass" so bass at one time was being sent to both the DT's and the SVS, but I noticed the bass was overwhelming and bloated sounding. (not from the SVS mind you) So then I tried setting the DT's to small and have them hooked up just via 14 guage speaker wire and letting the DT's internal crossover handle the signal. My reciever has set the crossover at 40hz (so anything below that goes to the SVS. I also don't get conflicting bass. What i mean is if you have double bass on and say the director has a shot where bass is just needed in the left front, it won't also go to the sub giving you conflicting bass. When done as small and crossoved over at 40Hz, the bass was tighter, more controlled and I never had a problem with that bloated sound. Hope that helps.
This is pretty much exactly what I have also experienced IMO. After experimenting, I am using a "small" configuration, a 40hz crossover setting in my AVR, and no lfe connection to the bp7002's. I found it easier to balance and blend in the bass of my SVS with it having the only lfe. I agree with how the bass seems tighter and less bloated.....

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
For those interested, 6ave.com is selling the DT Studio Monitor 450's for 258.99/pair (retails for 650.00) anyway this was a walk in price (for those on the eastcoast) but I called them up (since I live in AZ) and was told as long as I paid 50.00 shipping, I could get the 258.99 price for the pair (no tax). So for those interested this is a great price on the 450's with a 1" tweet, 6.5" midrange and 10" passive radiator in a compact bookshelf. You can't even get these on ebay (used) for this price.

S

seandm

Audiophyte
my new def tec system

good day . first day on this forum. i have replaced my psb stratus home theater with def tech. i am having a hard time adjusting as i find the tweeters abit noisy. but LOTS of power. i even went as far as buying a set of used stratus silvers for a 2 channel system cause i miss there sound that much. up front i have the bp7002tl. c/l/r 2500. bp7004 inthe rear.paradigm ps 1000.onkyo 875 aragon 4004. acurus a200x3. can anyone tell me anything about the noisy tweeters. they are not damaged.

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
good day . first day on this forum. i have replaced my psb stratus home theater with def tech. i am having a hard time adjusting as i find the tweeters abit noisy. but LOTS of power. i even went as far as buying a set of used stratus silvers for a 2 channel system cause i miss there sound that much. up front i have the bp7002tl. c/l/r 2500. bp7004 inthe rear.paradigm ps 1000.onkyo 875 aragon 4004. acurus a200x3. can anyone tell me anything about the noisy tweeters. they are not damaged.
What do you mean by noisy? I find Def Tech to be bright compared to PSB. If that's what you mean, that's just the way they are. If you don't like that type of sound, then unfortunately, you bought the wrong speakers.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Give it time your ears will probably adjust.

It's nice to have a good tweeter.:D

S

seandm

Audiophyte
What do you mean by noisy? I find Def Tech to be bright compared to PSB. If that's what you mean, that's just the way they are. If you don't like that type of sound, then unfortunately, you bought the wrong speakers.
i agree 100% that the def techs are a much brighter speeker then the psb.its almost like im hearing a bit of white noise in silent parts of movies,having my gear at modest levels. the white noise is not overwhelming but its there and catching my attention. im thinking you might be right ,that i chose the wrong speaker. i have had them for about 6 weeks so im hoping that i just have to get use to them. i had my stratus setup well over 10 years so its a big change for me . thanks

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
If the tweets sound to bright or "noisy" I would suggest using your receivers EQ and toning down the treble a few notches to help tame this. It's easy and cheap. I normally set everything as zero and am happy, but different strokes you know. So try that and see if that helps out some. Also with DT, placement is key, so try adjusting the speakers and toeing them in, to see if that helps tame them also.

BTW, my previous post on the 450's should have said 248.99/pr and not 258.99 Sorry for any confusion.

B

BubbaWho

Audiophyte
New to ht ,need help

Hi all I have been tring to set up a good ht, Ive been using the ht in a box and now want to move up, my room is only 12x19 and I'm a real estate agent which means I don't have a lot of money, so this is what I did,I put togather all from e-bay : Yamaha rx-v663- (4 )pro cimema 100"s- (1) procenter c2- (2) 1976 AR 94SI- (1) powerfield 10" subwoofer- (1) Polk 10 subwoofer low power- Lg 37" lcd hdtv- yamaha 6160 DVD - Blu ray from dell studio laptop using hdmi. now I want to buy the Def tech DR-7 to replace the AR 94SI's is this a good idea and will it make any defferents? All speakers connected using 14 ga monster wire, subs using interconnet cable (yamaha 663 is 7.2)

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
What kind of toe-in do most of you guys use for your higher end towers?

Our current setup is as follows:

BP7001SC's set about 18-24 inches from each side wall, and about 14 inches from the front wall... and about 6-7 feet each from the center channel... they are currently toed-in around 15 degrees I would say, so that they almost point directly at the center of the main seating position... should I put them out to be more parallel with the side walls, keep them as they are, or toe them in even more so they are directly firing at the center of the listening position?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis