Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...it won't rattle your cabinet...
I don't know about that.:D

When I was playing some SACD & DVD-Audio 5.1 music, the subwoofer of my CLR3000 was pumping out some serious bass. I placed on hand on the subwoofer of the CLR3000 and it was kicking hard.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Any one know of the best place to buy DT speakers? We live in the DFW region of Texas and want to buy some in the next couple of months.
I would go to your local dealers and get them to price match Digitalcraze.com.

I got my local dealer to price-match them just fine.

I don't know about buying from Digitalcraze, though, because another forum member (itschris) did not have a great experience.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I returned the Gems and bought Wood Technology 36" stands. They'll put the BP1.2x pair exactly at the height I want.

Center still has to go. CLR2002 doesn't fit in the Bello PR-10E's CC spot. But CLR2300 does so I'm picking up one of those.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Awesome... glad you found something that works well for you, you have a nice system, enjoy it!

Nemo128

Nemo128

If anyone is familiar with my gear, I'd like to know something.

Will the Onkyo NR906 amply power my BP7006 fronts? I still haven't turned them on, since I want to go buy the SPL meter and Avia, and wait for the surround stands and new center to arrive.

Also, I can bridge the Onkyo for the fronts if needed. Necessary? Help Def Tech gurus!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, that receiver will be plenty powerful enough to push those speakers. Def Tech speakers are highly efficient, so they don't need much power at all to get loud. I'm also pretty sure you can not bridge the receiver to get more power... but you won't need to do that anyway.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You could always ask the Dawg since he lives in Ft Worth and has a very good dealer. Be warned, that he doesnt check the DT thread very often so a PM may work best.
Any one know of the best place to buy DT speakers? We live in the DFW region of Texas and want to buy some in the next couple of months.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Crap...now I feel all dirty just being in here...I'm out....

S

swank501

Audioholic Intern
My folks are looking to get a system so they asked me to put one together for them. Compact is the key since they don't like the space they take up. I had a chance to demo some Mythos recently and really liked them.

So far I have been able to get a really good deal on a Mythos Solo and a pair of Gems. Apparently the silver ones can be had at a great discount. I plan on shooting them gloss black when they arrive. I haven't been able to find any reviews on the Solo bar, but I hope they sound as nice as the other Mythos speakers I got to hear. Anybody have any firsthand experience with them?

So now that those are on the way I need a sub. I was looking at maybe getting a supercube III, but the price is a little steep. Could you guys recommend another one that is compact and well suited to the rest of the components?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If anyone is familiar with my gear, I'd like to know something.

Will the Onkyo NR906 amply power my BP7006 fronts? I still haven't turned them on, since I want to go buy the SPL meter and Avia, and wait for the surround stands and new center to arrive.

Also, I can bridge the Onkyo for the fronts if needed. Necessary? Help Def Tech gurus!
I drove my BP7000SCs with a Harman Kardon AVR247, so I'm sure the seriously mighty powered NR906 can handle the BP7006 without breaking a sweat.

If your receiver heats up, it's probably due to the Reon Video chip because that was the huge problem with last year's Onkyo high-end models.

I would not bridge or bi-amp anything. Simple is best.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I agree with AcuDeftech, for a short time I had my BP7001sc's being driven by my Onkyo 805 and it did just fine. I now have it driven by an outboard amp, but felt that the Onkyo did an excellant job when it had to hadle the load.

As for the heat issue, I placed a simple 4.00 wallyworld fan on top and it keeps my amp more than cool and I no longer have any heating issues.

also about the sub issue, I would recommend an SVS for the price of a SCI and I feel the SVS's give far better bass response (Trinity not withstanding) for the money.

J

jazzisnumberone

Audioholic Intern
I own 3 Def Tech Pro Sub 80's across the front of my HT. I've had them for over 3 years. Seamless low end. Lots of punch for the buck. Obviously there are bigger AND better subs out there but i'm very satisfied with these. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I own 3 Def Tech Pro Sub 80's across the front of my HT. I've had them for over 3 years. Seamless low end. Lots of punch for the buck. Obviously there are bigger AND better subs out there but i'm very satisfied with these. :D
I'm sure the specs on these bigger and better subs are more impressive than the smaller subs.

But for most average rooms, I think many subs are overrated.

What I mean is that many of us don't even drive our subs to their potentials.

Yet so many people want subs that can go down far below 20Hz @ greater than 90dB reference level.

If your subs sound great, than that is more than good enough.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Updates!

I did bridge the fronts since I already had the wire in place. If I put the receiver beyond 1/4 max volume, it's just too freagin loud to bear. I will probably go back to single channel amping for the fronts.

Also, I personally love the integrated subs on the 7006 fronts. I get more than enough bass in my listening environment, and I didn't set them too high so they don't bottom out. It sounds good, it feels good, I don't want another sub.

The stands for the surrounds are AWESOME. The wood grain on them looks exactly like the BP1.2x, they look like they're made for each other! I highly recommend them for the BP surrounds, and they come in plenty of heights. Good wire channel depth capable of routing 12g wire.

Tomorrow I am actually picking up my center, and here is my dilemma:

The Mythos Three and CLR2300 are both available. I have a Bello PR-10E stand with everything in it. It has a center channel closed drawer with a mesh front. My options are to put the CLR2300 in it, which fits just about right, or put a Mythos Three right in frong of the TV.

The Mythos would look badass, the CLR2300 will be concealed for a clean install. BUT, which one has the potential to sound better. I am concerned by having the CLR in an enclosed drawer like that, but I am also concerned about the Mythos aluminum enclosure.

Some ideas/advice before tomorrow afternoon would help a lot. Thanks!

I

ineedagirl69

Audioholic Intern
Deftech guy you told me the prosub1000 -3db point is 29hz but accourding to HT labs its 39hz:confused:
http://www.hometheatermag.com/compactspeakers/107def/index2.html

Does it depend on your room?

Also sound and vision did a test of the pro sub 800 and they got 44hz -/+2.3db, whats the difference with 2.3 and 3?

Then they said the bass limit of the 800 is 25hz, does that mean it can play that frequency? whats the difference between that and the -3b point?:confused:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/speakers/1852/test-bench-definitive-technology-procinema-800-home-theater-speaker-system.html

So i guess the 1000 has a even lower bass limit?

My room is about 10x12 does that help get deeper frequencys?

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Nemo, I would go with the 2300 over the Mythos, the 2300 will have better timbre matching with your 7006's than the Mythos will and you will get far better bass response for a center channel. It also will look better to have "matching designed" speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Deftech guy you told me the prosub1000 -3db point is 29hz but accourding to HT labs its 39hz:confused:
http://www.hometheatermag.com/compactspeakers/107def/index2.html

Does it depend on your room?

Also sound and vision did a test of the pro sub 800 and they got 44hz -/+2.3db, whats the difference with 2.3 and 3?

Then they said the bass limit of the 800 is 25hz, does that mean it can play that frequency? whats the difference between that and the -3b point?:confused:
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/speakers/1852/test-bench-definitive-technology-procinema-800-home-theater-speaker-system.html

So i guess the 1000 has a even lower bass limit?

My room is about 10x12 does that help get deeper frequencys?
The 29 Hz @ -3dB is ANECHOIC chamber measurements done by Definitive Technology @ 1 meter away.

Tom Nousaine (Sound & Vision) does his measurements @ 2 meters away in a 7,500 c.f. room.

In my experience, bass limits are @ -6dB or -10dB below the Sensitivity Reference level (usually 85 - 90 dB). When they say "bass limits", they have to specify @ which volume level (like 25 Hz @ 75dB, etc.).

Practically all 3rd party measurements (HT, S&V, etc.) will not be as good as the manufacturer. This is true for most companies including B&W, Paradigm, NHT, etc.

Your small room should get BETTER (lower) bass response than a larger room.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Update!

The system in the living room is totally complete, and I did go with the Mythos. The 2300 just did not work right in the cabinet for me, and it sounds phenomenal with the Mythos center anyway. Everyone loves it. I think the 2 tower subs are more than enough in my listening environment, although I can tell they don't go down as low as I would like. They're still great.

I am now considering adding a Zone2 with a Mythos Two bookshelf pair in the bedroom flanking my Panasonic 37LZ85. They would fit exactly right and let me run everything the way I want.

As a word of advice for other users, the Wood Technology FBH-xxE stands match the BP surrounds beautifully. The woodgrain is very similar and they look like they are made for each other.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis