Definitive Tech Speaker Owner's Thread

C

chxboy

Audiophyte
I think angling it down would work, but is your friend willing to let you try it out first?

I think the Mythos sound great. Depending on the room and placement, the Mythos may sound better than the Bipolars simply because the Mythos are DIRECT-front radiating speakers, instead of Bipolars.

If your dealer will let you try out the Mythos (free 30 day return policy), give it a shot.

The 2 areas the Mythos are not as good at (when comparing similar prices) are the Bass output and the huge Soundstage of the Bipolars.
So, what about mixing a Mythos center speaker with the BP10Bs for my mains? Anyone opposed to something like that? I'm not sure I understand the importance of matching driver sizes. Can someone point me to a good explanation. Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So, what about mixing a Mythos center speaker with the BP10Bs for my mains? Anyone opposed to something like that? I'm not sure I understand the importance of matching driver sizes. Can someone point me to a good explanation. Thanks!
It would be fine to mix the Mythos with the BP10Bs and different driver size.

And as GlocksRock mentioned, it's not that important to match driver sizes. You will not notice any difference. Matching the driver sizes is just one theory about creating a better timbre-match. But you won't notice any difference.

G

grod777

Audiophyte
New to the forum. I have a ProMonitor 100 system (old but works great for me)with BP1x and BP1.2X for the surrounds. I currently have 1 Sub (Pro100). I am considering adding a second Pro100(if I can find one) so I can have 1 sub for each front speaker. Just curious to know if anyone has a 2 sub system and does it sound much better than a 1 sub system.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
get two alike! two-ProSub100s

:)
New to the forum. I have a ProMonitor 100 system (old but works great for me)with BP1x and BP1.2X for the surrounds. I currently have 1 Sub (Pro100). I am considering adding a second Pro100(if I can find one) so I can have 1 sub for each front speaker. Just curious to know if anyone has a 2 sub system and does it sound much better than a 1 sub system.
grod777,

Lots of people have multiple subs. The key if you have multiple subs is to make sure they are both the same. In your case get another Pro100. I think two would sound great.

Actually, that is what I started with ProCenter 100 and a ProSub 100 and two BP2006s plus some ceiling surrounds

I might have the ProSub100 available, but I am not sure I am willing to part with it; probably move to my media system and replace current Klipsch sub. I just put a SVS PB12-Plus on order.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Dual subs are nice, but 2 ok dont equal one good, imo spending money on another pro100 would only even out room response and not add any wow to the WOW so to speak:)

H

hottrawd

Audiophyte
help

Hey guys, NOOB here. I have a Definitive Technologies supercube I hooked to my Pioneer VSX-84TXSI Elite reciever. I bought my sub back in March and have loved it ever since, that is until last night. We were watching the new HULK movie and when the cannons were firing everything sounded great until about half way through the cannons. My sub started making a quick repetitive ticking noise through the speaker, even with the input wire disconnected it makes the noise. I pulled opened up the sub and inspected everything visually and couldn't see anything wrong or burnt. I hooked up my speaker directly to the receiver and it seemed to sound good (although it didn't have near the movement withuot the amp), but no ticking. I plugged the sub system back in without the speaker itself hooked up and the amp made a ticking noise at about half the speed as when the speaker is hooked up.

When I opened the housing to get to the internal amp I noticed some of the screws holding the amp in place had not been run all the way down against the mounting plate, so it was a little bit loose. I'm sure the vibration wasn't good for it. This was purchased brand new as an anniversary gift to me from my wife but when we contacted the seller he informed us he was not an "Authorized Dealer" so we can't get warranty. I'm guessing the amp is bad, I'm considering bringing a sub out of my car that I am no longer using to hook up just to make sure it's not the speaker. Any thoughts?

Any, and all help is greatly appreciated.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Do not use a sub that was made for a car to be used in a HT setup, you will not get the same audio quality and you nay even wind up destroying your gear. I would contact DefTech and ask how much to purchase a new amp, or check ebay regularly I see just the amps for sale at very inexpensive prices for the supercube 1.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Do not use a sub that was made for a car to be used in a HT setup, you will not get the same audio quality and you nay even wind up destroying your gear. I would contact DefTech and ask how much to purchase a new amp, or check ebay regularly I see just the amps for sale at very inexpensive prices for the supercube 1.
I don't think he's meaning to use a car sub in his HT. He just wants to hook up the car sub to see if it makes the same noise as the DT speaker.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I rushed into my purchase, and this is what I did.

Def Tech BP7006 fronts
Def Tech BP1.2x surrounds
Def Tech CLR2002 center
Onkyo TX-SR906 AVR

The CLR2002 did not fit in my cabinet's center section. The one I should have bought was the CLR2300 to fit, but since I did not want a center with a sub, it's out. I can't find stands I like for the BP1.2x that are high enough for my purposes (40"). So...

I ordered Mythos Gem surrounds with matching stands and a Mythos Three center. I decided to wall mount the Three above the plasma.

Of mention, I now need to sell the brand new CLR2002 and BP1.2x pair. At a nice discount too! *nudge* =)

Then again, I would even sell the brand new BP7006s and get some Mythos Fives or Fours if I can get some good sub recommendations...

I bridge amped the BP7006s with the Onkyo NR906. I wonder if that will be too much power going to them. Normally this receiver is 145Wx7 @ 8ohm. Should I not bridge at all? Will the Onkyo power them fine with a single channel?

Oh yeah, and I've loved Def Tech since I first saw them 7 years ago, and now I finally own my own! YAY 4 ME!

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Why didn't you want a center with a sub? That will get you awesome full range sound, and it sound good. Check out these speaker stands for your BP1.2x

http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-BF31B-Speaker-Stands-Foundations®/dp/B000E9ZNEA/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228929980&sr=8-16

I have basically the same speaker setup as you, except I sold the CLR2002 and got the CLR2300, and it sounds amazing. You can always wall mount them, they have a keyhole on the back, or you can get wall mounts as well.

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
Why didn't you want a center with a sub? That will get you awesome full range sound, and it sound good. Check out these speaker stands for your BP1.2x

http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-BF31B-Speaker-Stands-Foundations®/dp/B000E9ZNEA/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228929980&sr=8-16

I have basically the same speaker setup as you, except I sold the CLR2002 and got the CLR2300, and it sounds amazing. You can always wall mount them, they have a keyhole on the back, or you can get wall mounts as well.
Sanus also makes a 36" stand that can be filled with sand or lead shot.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_051NF36B/Sanus-NF36-Speaker-Stands-Black-lacquer.html?search=nf36&tp=1386

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, those are much nicer... I've setup a shorter pair of the ones I linked to for a friend, and they are pretty nice for the money. I would reccomend you keep the speakers you have and make them work, since the Mythos aren't bipolar.

Nemo128

Nemo128

The problem is, if the stands don't go to 40", the speaker will be behind the couch. This is all in a living room, and the rear wall is another 8ft behind the couch.

It's an odd setup I am doing, and it's far from ideal. I didn't want the CLR2300 because it would be in a cabinet with very little surrounding space. I was worried the sub would get blocked out by the cabinet, or worse, the sub would make the cabinet rattle.

I bought them not thinking. I doubt the bipolar is going to help for my living room. I should attached a drawing so you could get an idea of what I mean. Imagine a shoebox room 16' x 25' and the listening space being an 8'x13' quadrant of that space.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The sub in the center isn't for LFE, it's to give the voices a fuller sound, it doesn't put out a lot of bass, and it won't rattle your cabinet but it will definitely sound better than the CLR2002, that's what I used to use and I like the 2300 better. You only need about an inch or so above the speaker for it to sound ok, so you would have no problems there

Nemo128

Nemo128

The sub in the center isn't for LFE, it's to give the voices a fuller sound, it doesn't put out a lot of bass, and it won't rattle your cabinet but it will definitely sound better than the CLR2002, that's what I used to use and I like the 2300 better. You only need about an inch or so above the speaker for it to sound ok, so you would have no problems there
I'll take your word for it, but I'll still need to get rid of the CLR2002 though. =(

I can pick up the CLR2300, and make sure I test it immediately so I can return it if anything.

The rears are still an issue. I think the Mythos Gems will just work better for me, unless I find some 40" stands... but I need to find them fast so I can cancel my Gem stands order! :confused:

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
I'll take your word for it, but I'll still need to get rid of the CLR2002 though. =(

I can pick up the CLR2300, and make sure I test it immediately so I can return it if anything.

The rears are still an issue. I think the Mythos Gems will just work better for me, unless I find some 40" stands... but I need to find them fast so I can cancel my Gem stands order! :confused:
Just add little 4" tall boxes under the 36" stands. I'm guessing you can't wall mount them?

Gaigebacca

Gaigebacca

Audioholic
place to buy DT speakers?

Any one know of the best place to buy DT speakers? We live in the DFW region of Texas and want to buy some in the next couple of months.

itschris

itschris

I'll 2nd that. I removed the center drawer in my BDI cabinet and stuffed my center there. I have just about an inch or so above and it doesn't seem to cause any resonating issues with the cabinet. Granted, I imagine it would sound better in more roomy quarters, but I don't think it's horrible by any stretch.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis