rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
The darker brown looks very good. :cool:
It is still probably a little too light for a HT but since I sometimes watch the Plasma, any darker doesn’t work for me. I'm still struggling with painting the ceiling, molding and doors. Problem is I won't know if it makes a significant difference until I do it and if I don't like it, painting over a dark color will be a hassle.

Here is the new Stewart screen down. It's a little farther from the VP (6") than the Elite but somehow it seems larger and I'm not sure why.

I haven't re calibrated the JVC (DVE BR) since the screen change but the picture is brighter and seems to have more detail. I really noticed the enhanced sharpness/detail when looking at the grid pixels during focusing.

Here is the Stewart down:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
It is still probably a little too light for a HT but since I sometimes watch the Plasma, any darker doesn’t work for me.
I don't quite get this part. You'll calibrate for the plasma too, I presume.

I'm still struggling with painting the ceiling, molding and doors. Problem is I won't know if it makes a significant difference until I do it and if I don't like it, painting over a dark color will be a hassle.
If I had to guess, improvements will be easily discernable. I've hung out in the PJ and screen forums, and have picked a brain or two as well. If there was any boundary that was most important to treat for light, my guess is that the ceiling would be voted #1. Also, there are knowledgable folks who believe that treating the back wall is a great thing, which I guess is already the case with you, but driving home a point (because the ceiling will have more effect than the back wall).

Here is the new Stewart screen down. It's a little farther from the VP (6") than the Elite but somehow it seems larger and I'm not sure why.
New screen looks great!

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I don't quite get this part. You'll calibrate for the plasma too, I presume.

If I had to guess, improvements will be easily discernable. I've hung out in the PJ and screen forums, and have picked a brain or two as well. If there was any boundary that was most important to treat for light, my guess is that the ceiling would be voted #1. Also, there are knowledgable folks who believe that treating the back wall is a great thing, which I guess is already the case with you, but driving home a point (because the ceiling will have more effect than the back wall).

New screen looks great!
Thanks, The Stewart is rated 1.3 but it is brighter and sharper than a Carada BW 1.4 material sample.

Yes, I calibrated the Plasma with DVE as well. I get what you are saying but I was referring to the room being darker and more cave like with the ceiling and moldings dark. I may be making to much of this as I have two windows for light if needed. I'm going to check out paint this weekend. It has to be VOC free due to a very sensitive SO and I'm having trouble finding VOC free in dark colors. I guess the darker pigments contain more VOC.

Here is a screen shot (Canon G5) with quite a bit of ambient light in the room (and the white ceiling;)).

Not too bad

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, The Stewart is rated 1.3 but it is brighter and sharper than a Carada BW 1.4 material sample.
I've read that Carada sheds/disperses reflected light all around, more so than others, and I think* it's a compromise inherent to their very good performance in terms of uniformity. I guess just FYI, treating for reflected light could be more important with Carada than other brands.

Yes, I calibrated the Plasma with DVE as well. I get what you are saying but I was referring to the room being darker and more cave like with the ceiling and moldings dark. I may be making to much of this as I have two windows for light if needed. I'm going to check out paint this weekend. It has to be VOC free due to a very sensitive SO and I'm having trouble finding VOC free in dark colors. I guess the darker pigments contain more VOC.
Maybe you can do the ceiling, and leave the molding as white for the time being? It might be a compromise worth considering. There's sure a lot less of it than ceiling.

Here is a screen shot (Canon G5) with quite a bit of ambient light in the room (and the white ceiling;)).

Not too bad
Not too bad at all. :D

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
You could treat the ceiling.... :)

Sherman Williams has a VOC-free paint line called Harmony... I looked into using it but then my painter said he has trouble getting the VOC-free stuff to paint evenly.

The screen looks fantastic.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
You could treat the ceiling.... :)

Sherman Williams has a VOC-free paint line called Harmony... I looked into using it but then my painter said he has trouble getting the VOC-free stuff to paint evenly.

The screen looks fantastic.
Thanks Sensi,

Treating the ceiling would be ideal but I'm about out of stimulus dollars for the HT project;).

I'm thinking of using the wall color on the ceiling and I'm hoping it will be dark enough. I looked at the SW Harmony colors and they have the same issue as all the VOC paints (ie no dark colors). They have a low VOC paint (Duration) that has dark colors I like and that looks like my best option for the molding and doors.

Your painter is right about poor coverage using the VOC free paint. My painter (me:p) had to do three coats on the walls and I'm still finding spots that need touchup due to poor coverage. The price of being green;).

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I finished painting the ceiling last night. I like the look but it sure makes the crown molding stand out:eek:. The last picture shows the room color better as the flash really washes the wall color out.

I also spray painted the white ceiling panels with a watered down (one light coat) version of the wall/ceiling color. I have the coffee fabric just in case the panel painting didn't work but I'm liking the same color more neutral look for the ceiling. Ordered more of the coffee 242 panels from GIK. I will be using them to finish treating the front and left side walls.

We'll watch a movie tonight to see if there is a PQ difference with the ceiling painted ...

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
rmk, is that paint used on the panels a very special paint? For I thought that paint was a bad idea to use on panels, for it makes them more reflective. I heard dye is what is recommended. If you didn't know, I'm sorry to break the news. :(

Please don't kill the messenger. :eek:

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
rmk, is that paint used on the panels a very special paint? For I thought that paint was a bad idea to use on panels, for it makes them more reflective. I heard dye is what is recommended. If you didn't know, I'm sorry to break the news. :(

Please don't kill the messenger. :eek:
Really ... :confused: then I guess it's a good thing I didn't glue mirrors to them like I was originally planning :eek::p;)

Yes JM, I was aware painting them "might" make them more reflective. That's why plan B is to recover them in the coffee fabric. I thinned the paint down to where is is essentially stain and I like the look. My guess is no sonic differences will be detected but then, I can't really tell much of a difference with the ceiling treated vs not.

Honestly, I believe that a lot of these treatments are more placebo than medicine.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Really ... :confused: then I guess it's a good thing I didn't glue mirrors to them like I was originally planning :eek::p;)
:p

Yes JM, I was aware painting them "might" make them more reflective. That's why plan B is to recover them in the coffee fabric. I thinned the paint down to where is is essentially stain and I like the look. My guess is no sonic differences will be detected but then, I can't really tell much of a difference with the ceiling treated vs not.
Ah, ok. I was thinking someone like you would know better, of course, and that's why I asked about the paint. Ok. Looks great!

Honestly, I believe that a lot of these treatments are more placebo than medicine.
They've done wonders for me, but, I believe you.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
:p

Ah, ok. I was thinking someone like you would know better, of course, and that's why I asked about the paint. Ok. Looks great!

They've done wonders for me, but, I believe you.
The more I get into this hobby, the less I know :confused:;)

I was referring specifically to the ceiling panels in terms of effectiveness. It would be hypocritical of me to dis acoustic treatments since I have so many deployed and another batch arriving today:eek:.

I am also getting one of the new OPPO BDP-83 Bluray units (EAP program) and hope to get this GTG together for the 14th of March.
I wish more of you guys were local.

Last edited:
J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The more I get into this hobby, the less I know :confused:;)
I know EXACTLY what you are saying. :eek:

I was referring specifically to the ceiling panels in terms of effectiveness. It would be hypocritical of me to dis acoustic treatments since I have so many deployed and another batch arriving today:eek:.
Ah, thanks. wudja get, wudja get, wudja get??? More GIK, or something else?

I am also getting one of the new OPPO BDP-83 Bluray units (EAP program) and hope to get this GTG together for the 14th of March.
I wish more of you guys were local.
Not that you weren't already, but you are going to be ONE VERY POPULAR GUY HERE . . . :eek: :p lol

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
I know EXACTLY what you are saying. :eek:

Ah, thanks. wudja get, wudja get, wudja get??? More GIK, or something else?
More GIK ... I'm finishing off the front wall (almost) and the left side wall. That means I get to run Audyssey again for the 100th time :rolleyes:

K

KODG

Junior Audioholic
nice!

look into some acousitic diffusers & go to cardas.com & learn about the golden cubiod, should help with your tweeks.

K

KODG

Junior Audioholic
ht

truesoundcontrol.com
cardas.com
thx.com

golden cubiod

proper seating distance from screen

different types of room acoustics.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com