Another plasma question

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Dude, Kuro's rule. Just a matter of money. Forget LCD if you can afford a Kuro.

FWIW, that's a nice looking stand, but if you sit far away enough, and the flat panel can be wall mounted high enough, you could achieve 3 identical mains across the front. That should be a vastly superior audio setup. My URC remote, Studio Tech modular rack, and 35 ft mono cable adds up to just barely over $300. That still allows you $1,000 towards a tower center speaker. Just FWIW!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
+1 if u can and dont need to stand mount and the speakers go for the signature line and get Online isf. Im moving the 1150 to the bedroom and the new display for the new room and if the budget allows get the cream of the crop :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
From picture quality stand point I don't think the XBR4 can compete with the Panny 800/850 or any of the Pioneer/Elite models. I agree with banphan and jostenmeat that if you can afford it, go for the Kuro Elite or Signature and be done with it. If you want to have total peace of mind without having to worry about image retention or panel buzzing/electrical humming noises, then go for high end LCDs. To come close to or exceed the Kuro PQ you would have to go up to something like Sony XBR8 and Samsung's 950 models.

The Pioneer models cost $1K less than the Elites but unless you know what you are doing you won't be able to do much about its color accuracy.

N

nickcoleman

Audiophyte
For what it's worth, we bought a Panny 46" Plasma and have had it for three months. When you set it up, it askes if you're putting it into a home or store ... and will configure it based on that.

We chose Home (of course) and the picture quality is absolutely fabulous -- it was actually perfect. Did not need to have a tech out to adjust it.

We live at 7,000 feet (Park City, UT ... Land of Perfect Snow and Skiing conditions :D ) and the room where the Panny is located has huge vaulted ceilings with windows all around. We have no problem seeing the picture nor with the altitude.

I was looking at the LCD TVs and the Panny's picture IMHO was much better. Plus, it was alot cheaper.

(I also heard that Panasonic is making the screens for Pioneer)

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
(I also heard that Panasonic is making the screens for Pioneer)
The 10g pioneers will have glass manufactured by panny to Pioneer spec. Panasonic will have no effect or reach into pioneer's processing at all. Fwiw Pioneer has been down this road with NEC in the past. Pioneer's new kuro lcd pannels will be made by Sharp but in know way a "Sharp"
;)

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Panasonic will have no effect or reach into pioneer's processing at all.
Not entirely true, Panasonic and Pioneer are sharing technology.

(In addition to the fact that yes Pioneer will procure glass from Panasonic).

Pioneer will hopefully still be working on the project infinite contrast, but Panasonic's annoucement from Thursday looks like they have some very sexy models coming out including the first one with the Neo PDPeco technology from Pio/Pan, the 54" only Z-series.

And please guys, don't judge TV's based on how they look in the stores. They are NOT calibrated, they are all in vivid mode. You do need a Samsung 950 series or Sony XBR8 to get to the level of performance of the high end Samsung (760), Panasonic (800/850) and Kuro (any model) plasma's and those LED-LCD's cost almost twice as much as the Kuro's, so it should be an easy decision unless you're installing said TV in a sunroom....or a room with thousands of watts of floodlighting like the big box store floors.

If you're able to hold off for a few months the new Panasonic's look like they will outperform the 8-series quite handily and hopefully come close to the black levels of the PDP-5010/PDP-6010 Kuro's while adding lots more features like THX color certification.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=322752&modelNo=Content01072009012646554&surfModel=Content01072009012646554

PANASONIC EXPANDS ITS AWARD WINNING LINE OF VIERA® Plasma HDTVs

Enhanced Features and Screen Sizes, Brighter Panels, Deeper Blacks And Full-Time 1080 TV Lines of Motion Picture Resolution Highlight 2009 VIERA Plasma HDTV Product Lines

Las Vegas, NV (January 7, 2009)

VIERA CAST, originally launched in 2008, will broaden its entertainment offering with the addition of Amazon’s VOD streaming video service. Panasonic also extended the prestigious THX® Certified Display to three product lines. With a continuing emphasis on improving the television’s performance and reducing the impact on the planet’s carbon footprint, Panasonic’s 2009 line of VIERA HDTVs have improved their energy efficiency vs. last year’s models, while also improving the overall picture performance of the HDTVs.

In 2008, Panasonic offered one VIERA HDTV series that had innovative internet enabled VIERA CAST feature. In 2009, it will be extended to three series – The Z1 series, the V10 series and the G10 series. In addition to the continuation of such favorite entertainment sites as Google’s YouTube™, Picasa™ Web Album, Bloomberg and weather service; a consumer will now have an access to HD movie rental via Amazon Video-on-Demand. Panasonic has also improved VIERA CAST interface by implementing quick keyword input (like a cell phone) to help retrieve favorite content faster and easier. Panasonic HDTVs VIERA Link - a technology that utilizes HDMI-CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) and allows a consumer to operate all VIERA Link™ compatible A/V components using only the TV’s remote control and helpful on-screen menus. In addition to operating a VIERA HDTV, video source (Blu-ray and DVD player) and home theater receiver; VIERA Link permits operation of a network camera, ideal for monitoring of a home/nursery*. A VIERA Link capable Network Camera BL-C210A can be connected to a VIERA HDTV and controlled via VIERA Link remote. Users can then watch their child, pet and/or property by installing the camera and networking to the VIERA HDTV via Ethernet cable. The BL-C210A will be available in the United States in the summer of 2009.

As in 2008, all Panasonic VIERA HDTVs feature VIERA Image Viewer™ a function for easy viewing of digital still photos and in some models, the ability to play back AVCHD video recorded on SD card.

For 2009, VIERA Plasma HDTVs are rated, as in 2008, to have a lifespan of 100,000 hours. This is more than 30 years of viewing when watched for 8 hours a day, before the TV reaches half brightness. To further improve picture quality, VIERA HDTVs feature some breakthrough consumer innovations like 600Hz Sub-field Drive and Infinite Black panel with improved contrast ratios. In 2008, Panasonic offered VIERA HDTV models that were THX certified and in 2009, the prestigious certification will be extended to 8 VIERA models (The V10 series and the G10 series). THX Ltd. works closely with Panasonic from initial product design phase to the final product rollout in the market. THX certification ensures that each display can present all HD and standard definition content to the maximum resolution with accurate color and luminance levels.

Panasonic’s commitment to improving the environment was confirmed this year as all of its 2009 VIERA HDTVs qualified for Energy Star certification. As in the past, VIERA Plasma HDTVs are lead and mercury free.

“Panasonic’s superior quality, connectivity and service continues to distinguish the VIERA line,” said Bob Perry, Executive Vice President, Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company. “Not only have our VIERA HDTVs received critical acclaim from consumer and trade publications, but Panasonic has maintained the market lead for the majority of the last three years. Panasonic has never rested on its laurels and the 2009 VIERA line continues that thinking. This year Panasonic has created the ‘Neo-PDP’ line with a brighter panel, double luminance efficiency, deeper blacks with improved contrast ratio and 1080 TV lines of Moving Picture Resolution. Our corporate philosophy of Ideas for Life is borne out by our attention to the consumer- to provide the ultimate entertainment experience in an easy to use format. That is why we have expanded our VIERA CAST feature and continued to improve the functionality of VIERA Link.”

PANASONIC VIERA Plasma HDTV

Z1 Series

The flagship VIERA plasma in 2009 is the Z1 series, with a revolutionary one inch thin panel design and Wireless HD connectivity to deliver the ultimate sleek, uncluttered HDTV viewing experience. Also included on the VIERA Z1 is VIERA CAST web menu with the new streaming HD movie rental capability via Amazon Video-on-Demand. The Neo PDP design of the VIERA Z1 produces a brighter picture, deeper blacks, improved native contrast ratio (40,000:1) and Full-Time 1080 TV lines of motion resolution. Other Z1 model features include;1080p resolution, a THX Certified Display; an Infinite Black panel; 600Hz Sub-field Drive; and VIERA Linkä, and VIERA Image Viewer for playing back digital still images and AVCHD videos recorded on SD Memory Cards. The Z1 series will be available in the summer of 2009 in the new TC-54Z1, 54-inch class screen size (54” measured diagonally).

V10 Series

The VIERA V10 series are slim, 2-inch thin plasma HDTVs with built-in tuners. The V10 series offer such cutting edge innovations as Digital Cinema Color™ which helps to deliver all movie-essential colors, full THX Display certification, and the VIERA CAST web menu with Amazon Video on Demand services. The Neo PDP design of the V10 series features 1080p resolution; deeper blacks, improved native contrast ratio of 40,000:1; Full-Time 1080 TV lines of motion resolution; an Infinite Black panel; 600Hz Sub-field Drive; VIERA Link, and VIERA Image Viewer for playing back digital still images and AVCHD videos recorded on SD Memory Cards. The V10 series is available in a 65-inch class (64.8” measured diagonally), 58-inch class (58” measured diagonally), 54-inch class (54” measured diagonally), and a 50-inch class (49.9” measured diagonally) screen size. The 50-inch model with one-sheet-of-glass design will be available in May 2009 and the remaining models will be available in the summer of 2009.

G10 Series

The VIERA G10 Plasma series include features like the VIERA CAST web menu, a THX certified Display, and VIERA Image Viewer for playing back digital still images and AVCHD videos recorded on SD Memory Cards. The NEO PDP design of the G10 series also offers 1080p resolution, deeper blacks, improved native contrast ratio of 40,000:1, Full-Time 1080 TV lines of motion resolution, an Infinite Black panel, 600Hz Sub-field Drive, as well as Game Mode and VIERA Link. The G10 series will be available in a 54-inch class (54” measured diagonally), 50-inch class (49.9” measured diagonally), 46-inch class (46” measured diagonally), and 42-inch class (41.6” measured diagonally) screen size. The 42-inch, 46-inch and 50-inch HDTVs will be available in March 2009, while the 54-inch model will be available in May 2009.

S1 Series

The VIERA S1 Plasma series offers a broad range of HDTVs which also represent the first VIERA plasma series to feature the new NEO PDP designs. Key features of the S1 series include Full-Time 1080 TV lines of motion resolution, which eliminate traditional HDTV motion blur. The S1 series also feature THX certified displays together with VIERA Image Viewer. Other features include 1080p resolution; a native contrast ratio of 40,000:1; an Infinite Black panel; 600Hz Sub-field Drive; and a Game Mode. The S1 series will compliment the V10 65” screen size with its own 65-inch class (64.7” measured diagonally) product. Other S1 sizes include a 58-inch class (58” measured diagonally), a 54-inch class (54” measured diagonally), a 50-inch class (49.9” measured diagonally), a 46-inch class (46” measured diagonally), and a 42-inch class (41.6” measured diagonally). The 42-inch, 46-inch and 50-inch HDTVs will be available in March 2009 while the 54-inch will be available in the summer of 2009.
*drool*

L

lman

Audioholic Intern
Thats alot of great information, but with only a $2,500 budget or so, I am kinda limited (as far as high end plasmas go) I would like to get the 5020FD, but at 2,800 or so online I am torn between that or putting the extra couple hundred toward something else, or I could get the 58PZ800U or 58A650 (my wife likes the red). but as you can see these have allready blown my budget. On another note, I went to that local store, but the selection was limited, other then a bunch of inexpensive LCD's all they had was a 60 LG, it looked good but not worth the asking price (3,200 I think). Also I read a article on here about cheap HDMI cables being just as good as high end Monster Cables as long as they were under 3m or so, is this true, assuming that both are v.1.3b?

dobyblue

dobyblue

Senior Audioholic
Cables are either Category 1 (2.25 Gbps certified) or Category 2 (10.2 Gbps certified) - the HDMI 1.3 specification only refers to the interface.

All cables at 10ft or less will pass anything Blu-ray has to offer and anything satellite/cable has to offer with no problem at all. The Monoprice cables are of a good build. I wouldn't buy Monster products unless my life depended on it, that company is one of the shadiest in the business, picking on small businesses and uneducated consumers every chance they get.

1080p24 works out to around 1.1Gbps uncompressed, so ANY HDMI cable will pass it.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Fwiw sharing tech by no means is panny involved with pioneers video processing.

L

lman

Audioholic Intern
I found a 6ft cat2 v.1.3b HDMI cable on Amazon for $9.95 with free 2 day shipping. I just can't believe that people are talked into paying those crazy high prices for Monster Cables and other brands. I probably would have done the same thing if I had not found this site.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello bandphan, dobyblue or anyone, I wonder if you guys happen to know how to get the Pro-111FD to display the clock and to show the hours of use. I thought I read it from some forum probably AVS but I have been googling hard but could no longer find it. There are a lot of talk about the recommended 200 hours of run in so the hours of use display will be handy.

Thank you in advance.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Hello bandphan, dobyblue or anyone, I wonder if you guys happen to know how to get the Pro-111FD to display the clock and to show the hours of use. I thought I read it from some forum probably AVS but I have been googling hard but could no longer find it. There are a lot of talk about the recommended 200 hours of run in so the hours of use display will be handy.

Thank you in advance.
Start with the plasma turned OFF
Make sure you point the remote directly at the IR sensor in the tv

Press DISPLAY on the remote (just press, do not hold)
Wait 3 seconds
Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Start with the plasma turned OFF
Make sure you point the remote directly at the IR sensor in the tv

Press DISPLAY on the remote (just press, do not hold)
Wait 3 seconds
Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER
Now that's an amazing super power if I ever saw one. :D

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
If 50PZ850 is sex, what are 58PZ850 and 65PZ850 ?? :)

Pana 50PZ850 is sex. It looked better to me and the woman everytime we saw it in person at any B&M except at Best Borrow. Interesting...
Nemo120 what do you think of the $3,999.95 for the TH-58PZ850, $6,999.95 for the TH-65PZ850

Would they compare or be better than the Pioneer PRO-151 60' Plasma?

Thanks for your opinion

MidCow2

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Kuro versus Viera ??

Dude, Kuro's rule. Just a matter of money. Forget LCD if you can afford a Kuro.

FWIW, that's a nice looking stand, but if you sit far away enough, and the flat panel can be wall mounted high enough, you could achieve 3 identical mains across the front. That should be a vastly superior audio setup. My URC remote, Studio Tech modular rack, and 35 ft mono cable adds up to just barely over $300. That still allows you $1,000 towards a tower center speaker. Just FWIW!
Jostenmeat,

That is my oinion right now that Kuros rule, but waht about the Panasonic takes internet enabled PZ850 VIERA plasmas to 58- / 65-inches. It seems to be thorough i need to consider thes also :rolleyes:

What do you think? Here is an otrn link to the Viera Plasmas:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/03/panasonic-takes-internet-enabled-pz850-viera-plasmas-to-58-65/

Also, what do you think of Salamander furniture? I have pretty much convinced my wife that it is high quality furniture :)

This was a bad week I was at Firestone and/or Midas every day last week for tires, inspections and brakes.

Later,

MidCow2

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Peng -Did you get the Pro-111FD ?

Thank you in advance.
Peng,

Did you get a Pro-111FD ? If so that is great, how do you like it?

Thanks,

MidCow2

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
If the elite is in your budget, that is the best pdp display on the Market. My sig series arrives just before the super bowl and my 1150 has an absolutly stunning picture and thats not 1080p.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis