Another plasma question

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
So your vote is for the PRO-151FD correct ?

If the elite is in your budget, that is the best pdp display on the Market. My sig series arrives just before the super bowl and my 1150 has an absolutly stunning picture and thats not 1080p.
BandPhan,

Thanks,

MidCow2

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
BandPhan,

Thanks,

MidCow2
100% without fail. The pannys are nice but still not close to the elites. Ill take my current display over all the current pannys

G

GregS351

Enthusiast
Something I didnt see anyone mention is that BB and other electronic stores have the tv in a very well lit area. For anyone with a theater setup the lights will be atleast half that. Different lighting and displays options will play into the appearance of the tv too.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Something I didnt see anyone mention is that BB and other electronic stores have the tv in a very well lit area. For anyone with a theater setup the lights will be atleast half that. Different lighting and displays options will play into the appearance of the tv too.
Greg,

Somewhere I read that recently, maybe even this thread but thanks for the advice. I just looked at TVs at lunch at Costco and while they didn't have Pioneer, but they had a nice looking 65' Sharp Aquos and smaller ( 54" or 58") Vizio and Samsung. And you are right with the high level of ambient light it makes it hard to completely judge the blacks and color depth.

MidCow2

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Jostenmeat,

That is my oinion right now that Kuros rule, but waht about the Panasonic takes internet enabled PZ850 VIERA plasmas to 58- / 65-inches. It seems to be thorough i need to consider thes also :rolleyes:

What do you think? Here is an otrn link to the Viera Plasmas:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/03/panasonic-takes-internet-enabled-pz850-viera-plasmas-to-58-65/

Also, what do you think of Salamander furniture? I have pretty much convinced my wife that it is high quality furniture :)

This was a bad week I was at Firestone and/or Midas every day last week for tires, inspections and brakes.

Later,

MidCow2
MC2, I'm sorry but I'm just not familiar enough with the new models.

As for the furniture, I already gave you my personal advice here.

Salamander always looked nice enough I suppose, but I always found it a bit expensive, anyhow. (I buy almost all of my furniture from consignment stores).

Three towers for your front stage, pocket that $1,300, and put it towards more gear? :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Peng,

Did you get a Pro-111FD ? If so that is great, how do you like it?

Thanks,

MidCow2
I do like it so far. PQ is great, much better than my old Regza though not day and night kind of difference. The only drawback is the image retention concerns. I never noticed this before but now that I have to be concernced, I am really annoyed to see those channel ID logo popping up in some of the HD channels. They don't tend to have very high contrast and in some cases not there all the time so they may not be a problem. I guess if they are, bandphan would have forewarned us. They do cost a lot more than the Panny 850/800 but I have no doubt they offer overall better PQ especially in terms of details.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Fwiw ivè never noticed any retention. Also PENG were you able to enter this service menu?

L

lman

Audioholic Intern
The Kuro mught be just out of budget, if you all had to choose between the 50PZ800/850, or a Sammy 50A650, which would it be?

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Rentention ..tell me again what you just said

Fwiw ivè never noticed any retention. Also PENG were you able to enter this service menu?
I am getting old enough I am starting to have problems with retention, does that mean I would be a good plasma ? :D:D JOKE :D:D

I hope retention is not a problem. I can still remember display burn-in problems with early PC monitors and why and how scrensavers came to be!

Thanks,

MidCow2

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
But it is already approved !

MC2, I'm sorry but I'm just not familiar enough with the new models.

As for the furniture, I already gave you my personal advice here.

Salamander always looked nice enough I suppose, but I always found it a bit expensive, anyhow. (I buy almost all of my furniture from consignment stores).

Three towers for your front stage, pocket that $1,300, and put it towards more gear? :D
Actually, If I get a larger TV I need to get another stand or a stand. The current TV is housed in an Amoire and it is the maximum size it can hold at 37". The Amoire would move to the bedroom.

I already have the front stage set with two 7002 towers and a 3000 C/l?R center. There-in lies part of the problem. I need to be able to accomodate the Center under the new TV.

And probably even more important in my case is my wife wants it to look nice.

With the wider/large TV I will need to relocate my subwoofer, but that shouldn't be a problem. I have some wires pre-wired to the back of the room. I just need to track them down. and wire some RCA connectors to the ends.

So my big issue , WA (Wife Approval) has already been overcome.

I think from the discussion that that additional cost of the Salamander and the Kuro is worth it in my case.

Thanks for yours and everyone else's inputs.

Cheers MidCow.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I am getting old enough I am starting to have problems with retention, does that mean I would be a good plasma ? :D:D JOKE :D:D

I hope retention is not a problem. I can still remember display burn-in problems with early PC monitors and why and how scrensavers came to be!

Thanks,

MidCow2
I watch all sources in their native format and have had no retention. As for stretching 4:3 imo the pioneers do a acceptable job if needed. I also use the display as a computer monitor with out any issues.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Actually, If I get a larger TV I need to get another stand or a stand. The current TV is housed in an Amoire and it is the maximum size it can hold at 37". The Amoire would move to the bedroom.

I already have the front stage set with two 7002 towers and a 3000 C/l?R center. There-in lies part of the problem. I need to be able to accomodate the Center under the new TV.

And probably even more important in my case is my wife wants it to look nice.

With the wider/large TV I will need to relocate my subwoofer, but that shouldn't be a problem. I have some wires pre-wired to the back of the room. I just need to track them down. and wire some RCA connectors to the ends.

I think from the discussion that that additional cost of the Salamander and the Kuro is worth it in my case.

Thanks for yours and everyone else's inputs.

Cheers MidCow.
I understand MidCow. If willing to drop the coin, Salamander is nice indeed.

HOWEVER, (just to beat a dead horse), I think three towers look pretty cool. You can do it without having a single piece of electronics in plain view.

Let's see:
-shove electronics anywhere. In a corner. Hidden or almost hidden. If you still need to buy something, Studio tech modular racks are $199 shipped.

-A urc rf20+blaster is $83 shipped.

-a monoprice 35 ft cable is about $45 shipped.

-then you sell the center, buy the matching tower.

YOU BENEFIT BY:
-being perfectly matched as matched can be.
-even plane of drivers for best shifts of energy within the stage, and panning.
-power handling for the very important role of center speaker
-proper dispersion of audio, and most importantly dialogue. No more horiz MTM, which is arguably the worst speaker design ever made.
-w/o large furniture, you do not suffer unwanted reflections and diffractions of audio, and you will most likely gain in imaging, stage, and clarity.
-you have money in the pocket
-you no longer suffer from distracting led's from up front

Sorry, and thanks for reading my common rant above. :) Just want to make sure that you are sure. For, if it was me, with the ONLY consideration being that the plasma would not be mounted too high for comfort, its a complete no brainer that this what I would do.

edit: on that note, how many ft do you sit away from front wall, and how tall are the towers?

j

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
But I don''t think I can fit it in too open

I understand MidCow. If willing to drop the coin, Salamander is nice indeed.

HOWEVER, (just to beat a dead horse), I think three towers look pretty cool. You can do it without having a single piece of electronics in plain view.

Let's see:
-shove electronics anywhere. In a corner. Hidden or almost hidden. If you still need to buy something, Studio tech modular racks are $199 shipped.

-A urc rf20+blaster is $83 shipped.

-a monoprice 35 ft cable is about $45 shipped.

-then you sell the center, buy the matching tower.

YOU BENEFIT BY:
-being perfectly matched as matched can be.
-even plane of drivers for best shifts of energy within the stage, and panning.
-power handling for the very important role of center speaker
-proper dispersion of audio, and most importantly dialogue. No more horiz MTM, which is arguably the worst speaker design ever made.
-w/o large furniture, you do not suffer unwanted reflections and diffractions of audio, and you will most likely gain in imaging, stage, and clarity.
-you have money in the pocket
-you no longer suffer from distracting led's from up front

Sorry, and thanks for reading my common rant above. :) Just want to make sure that you are sure. For, if it was me, with the ONLY consideration being that the plasma would not be mounted to high for comfort, its a complete no brainer that this what I would do.

j
Hey Jostenmeat,

Thanks for caring and I really do respect and appreciate your opinion. And I absolutely agree with you that for perfect timbre three towers is the way to go.

My den where I want to put it is very,very open and I am somewhat limited as to where I can place things. To the left is a wide entry archway into the foyer. To the right back is a small alcove with a door on the right side into the master bedroom. Angeld to the right front is the fireplace. Behind the couch is about 10 feet which is backed by the kitchen countertop. To the back right is open with door to back patio on back right. I will try to get some drawing software and show you. ( iknow my explanation must be confusing .. SORRY).

Anyway take care and thanks again!

MidCow2

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No, I tried your sequence code many times, no luck. May be each model has its own code. I hope sooner or later someone will post the code for this model. By the way thanks for the reassuring words regarding the retention issue. It is always good to hear from experienced users. Just to play it safe, I am going to keep the contrast setting low for the first 200 hours.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Kuro mught be just out of budget, if you all had to choose between the 50PZ800/850, or a Sammy 50A650, which would it be?
I like to have things to play with, so 850 for sure. Unless the price difference is >$300, then I would consider the 800.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So are you going to get the Pro-101 or 141 monitor and join that exclusive club? They are narrower (without speakers) much thinner and lighter and you may be able to get one for the same price as the TVs. She may like its look better.

My side speakers are still in the box because I was told it would spoil the look.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
PENG, I'm not sure when you picked one up, but someone's gotta say it:

Congrats on one fine display!!!!!!

Did ya get the 50" or 60"?

I bet your HdDvds never looked so good. (You DO have a bdp, yes?). :D

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Saw a Pro-151FD today

So are you going to get the Pro-101 or 141 monitor and join that exclusive club? They are narrower (without speakers) much thinner and lighter and you may be able to get one for the same price as the TVs. She may like its look better.

My side speakers are still in the box because I was told it would spoil the look.

Peng,

I am planning on getting the Pro-151FD. I went an d looked at one at lucnh today and it looked very nice but I wasn't overwelmed. The Panasonic look as good. The guy at the HT store told me that Pioneer didn't authorize selling the Elite online. The place I was looking at is Broadway Photo for $4,559 plus $199 shipping.
http://www.broadwayphoto.com/cat/Televisions/Plasma/10018924/PRO-151FD_60_Inch_Plasma_TV_/

I was able to talk the local HT store down to $5,000 even plus $75 delivery plus tax.

The HT store sells Salamander furniture abiet a little higher than online, but I found out the original TV center(Madrid) I wanted won't work because the center hole isn't big enough for the CLR3000. Now I am looking at their Manhattan model 339.

Does anyone else know if Pioneer Elite plasma can be bought online or not?

Anywya thanks!

Now I am going to look up the Pro-101 and the 140 monitor to figure out what you are talking about.

Cheers,

MiidCow

P.S. - Maybe calls for another thread. If I close the door I need to convert IF to RF. and apparently , at least from this HT store, it would cost about $400. Anyone have experience or recommendations. Should I start a thread or has it already been answered before?.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis