rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
In, erm...industry?, we call this "bass-face" ... where the bass is so loud and powerful that it makes your ears warm, eyes blurry from vibration in the sockets, and all around just tensed up::D:D

Cool, A new performance level to shoot for. His look was almost exactly like this :eek:

Maybe with duals, I'll get bass-face:p

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
very nice set up!
Thank you.

The second TH-Spud is due by the end of the week. We watched The Dark Knight Bluray last night and the whole time I’m thinking, I do not need another sub:eek:. Well this hobby (like most hobbies) is about want, not need so what the hey;).

BTW. TDK is one of the best action films I have ever seen. Heath Ledger’s Joker is one for the ages. The thing I don’t get is all this talk about anemic bass in the movie. By the end of the film my projector had rotated enough that the picture was 3-4” off the screen. I was so engrossed in the film I didn’t even notice until it was over.

The experience of watching that movie in the comfort of my own home is the payoff for all the time and money spent on the HT. It may not be perfect but last night it truly felt like a theater in my home.:cool:

Last edited:
rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Testosterone Theater

Here's the "new look" Front Soundstage. I also posted these pics in the TH-SPUD Subwoofer thread so my apologies to the Mods for the dual post.

The dual TH-SPUDS are unlike any sub(s) I have heard. Incredibly dynamic and clean but they don’t go much below 20hz. I think the trade off is well worth it but that’s just my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions:p;)).

How's this for WAF friendly:p

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Very very nice. Aesthetically, I prefered the look of your other speakers, but I wish I could hear this setup.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Dig it.

hey rmk, do you ever worry about structural integrity of the home?? :eek:

curiously, do you know how to find out if a home's construction can handle such immensely powerful and low freq's?

I'm curious for my own sake. I know I'm being unduly paranoid, but still curious for your thoughts. :)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
hey rmk, do you ever worry about structural integrity of the home?? :eek:

curiously, do you know how to find out if a home's construction can handle such immensely powerful and low freq's?

I'm curious for my own sake. I know I'm being unduly paranoid, but still curious for your thoughts. :)
Exactly. Any cracks in all that new drywall? :D
Assuming you are serious, my house is fairly well constructed and with all the HT work I have done receintly I have an imtimate knowledge of the structure. My audio system makes it no worse than living at the end of an airport runway :eek::p

I think my health and hearing will be in jeopardy long before the structure is a concern. There is a good deal of shaking going on but nothing that the beams, trusses, joists and studs can't handle. Oh and the drywall is taking it all in stride too.;)

annunaki

annunaki

RMK,

I am curious if yu have a link to the mains that may detail their operation. I do not see any mid-range drivers, planar units, or tweeters? Just curious.

I like the look of your setup. Clean yet powerful! Nice job.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
RMK,

I am curious if yu have a link to the mains that may detail their operation. I do not see any mid-range drivers, planar units, or tweeters? Just curious.

I like the look of your setup. Clean yet powerful! Nice job.
Thanks,

Here is a link to JTR and a quote from Mark Seaton regarding the Triple 12LF's

The Triple12LF's do use a coaxial midrange. The dust-cap on the coax' is a rigid cloth, allowing high frequencies to come through the center of the 12" cone. Larger diameter drivers have two major hurdles in crossing to a tweeter. The first is placement, as the size typically requires large spacing between the mid and tweeter, which makes smooth off axis response difficult. The other problem is high frequency extension. Some 10-15" drivers are well behaved past 3kHz, but that would be the exception rather than the norm, so you need a tweeter capable of crossing lower than most.

The coaxial design entirely gets around the issue of spacing, as the concentric location of the tweeter is as ideal as it gets so far as spacing. This sort of coaxial design has the tweeter enter through the pole piece of the midrange driver. The metal is shaped to mate with the profile of the cone. The cone then serves as a shallow waveguide/horn/lens for the tweeter. A 1" exit compression driver can be very powerful when on a larger diameter waveguide. The 1-3kHz range is in fact the most powerful for such drivers mounted to a coaxial driver like this. This allows a crossover below 2kHz where we get good integration both on and off axis.

The 12" coaxial driver is used such that it won't produce much output below 200-250Hz. This range is very easy for the 12" cone to produce, and up to very high levels, the midrange motor always stays linear, even with big bass events which are handled by the woofers, keeping dialog and other midrange details clear.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
How do they compare to ther speakers you have used in the past? I assume they are quite dynamic.
Dynamic? Yes … amazingly so:eek:. If fact my audio system has never sounded this good before and the only changes that were made from my Revel Ultima setup has been the JTR"s and Danley subs. The Revels were wonderful very detailed speakers but they sounded strained when trying to deal with the full dynamic range of HT or certain Rock and Roll recordings. The louder I played them the worse they sounded. The JTR Danley combo can play very cleanly to well beyond volumes I can tolerate and yet are very detailed in their own right.

As I have stated many times, the JTR"S are an aesthetic compromise but for me and my use/taste they are perfect.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Here's the "new look" Front Soundstage. I also posted these pics in the TH-SPUD Subwoofer thread so my apologies to the Mods for the dual post.

The dual TH-SPUDS are unlike any sub(s) I have heard. Incredibly dynamic and clean but they don’t go much below 20hz. I think the trade off is well worth it but that’s just my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions:p;)).

How's this for WAF friendly:p

RMK! This is truely outstanding. :)

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Tom Danley posted this advice on another Forum yesterday. Looks like I have some work to do:p.

But seriously, Tom is such a brilliant and gracious guy it is really a pleasure to do business with DSL. Doesn't hurt that his products are also world class;).

The accessibility of ownership is what draws many to and fosters loyalty for the ID companies like SVS, AV123 and Axiom. I myself have enjoyed conversations with Mark Schifter, Ian Colquhoun and Ron Stimpson (well Mark and Ian anyway:p;)).

Although Danley is not an ID company, they are run with a very personal and high integrity style that appeals to me. I am not normally company loyal but my experience with DSL is turning me into a fanboy.

Wishing all a very Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!!

Hi RMK
Your second spud arrived I see, I am reminded of the words spoken by Monty Burns “excellent”.
At a time when you feel like pushing black boxes around for fun, there are a couple things you might want to try in addition to sitting on them.
Given ones room has a strong impact on the results, it is often the case where setting up one way in one rooms works best while in another room, a different setup works best.
In other words, there are things in room acoustics where if you have the luxury to experiment, you may find that the best path to the best possible results.

You mention you have the ability to measure response, this is good.
While I am not familiar with the product it appears you have this?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_4/velodyne-sms1-digital-drive-sub-manager-12-2005-part-1.html

The write up for the controller has some things to consider;
It mentions there is a subsonic high pass filter, confirm it is set to 15Hz.
Make sure there is not a “high pass” or subsonic filter in your amplifier and what ever is driving it. Often commercial amplifiers have a high pass protection filter, it should be mentioned if present in the manual.
Note the eq provided on page 3.
It is mentioned that you shouldn’t try to lift the dips, this is correct in more than one way. A dip is likely to be caused by a reflection, a delayed signal that arrives and cancels the original. That kind of problem can’t be fixed, the more energy you apply, the stronger the reflection is, with pink noise and a simple RTA, it can appear that your helping but your not, your increasing the Q of it, not filling it in. . \
EQ is a correction linked in magnitude AND phase, unlike things you can fix with EQ, you can improve the amplitude sometimes but you screw up the phase if you try to fix these kinds of problems.

The bottom line is, your normally much better off cutting a bump than lifting a depression. On page 3, the unmodified in room response and eq is shown.
To make the speaker they show “flat” to 15Hz, given the eq available, it would all have to be cuts.
If there were a slider at 15Hz, then that could be lifted instead as it is the box roll off and not a reflection / cancellation. Fwiw, this would be too much to “fix” with eq too.
You would need to make up for the reduction in output over most of its band by increasing the gain post eq say in the amplifier drive or gain.

Anyway (staring outside at the snow falling again), like I said when you feel like some exertion, try these;
Try placing the outlet for each spud in the outer corners with the box moved into the wall / wall corner. This produces an acoustic mirror for the box by being up against the corner and raises the efficiency and lowers the low corner.
Try placing the subwoofers standing up together with the outlets at the bottom together.
This replaces the mirror image the room wall provided above with an actual source.
Also, this pair has some forward directivity over a point source due to it’s physical shape at /near the exit, in effect being a 180 degree horn.

Now what may not be clear is unlike a vented box or other direct radiator system, with horns you have a factor one can fiddle with. In the Tapped horn as with a conventional horn, the path length is partly what governs the low corner frequency.
Placing the spuds near a boundary or second unit does increase the length and lower the corner f .

If you want to try tuning the system lower, there is another configuration you can try.
Place the cabinets either together in the center or separately in each corner BUT place the outlet facing into the back wall / corner and move the cabinets about 8 inches away from the back wall.
In this configuration, one is extending the path length as well. Normally one see’s some loss of sensitivity above the low corner compared to the conventional mounting but that is in trade for a much lower corner F.
Given the sensitivity of a pair of spuds compared to normal subs, its worth a try especially since you have a way to measure and compare the results.

It’s too bad with room acoustics you can’t just say do this and it works the best, I mean you can to a degree but I can’t tell you what will work best in your room / house.

Since your playing with LF, Try the fireworks recording on our website, it has no “high pass” or compression and if I remember correctly, it was as strong at 10Hz as it was at 50Hz.
Approach the level carefully as this will tax the headroom in every part of your system and won’t sound loud at all.
Sit back and pretend your sitting in the dark, near the woods in my backyard and to make it a lot nicer, pretend there are no mosquitoes.
Best,
Tom Danley
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, wishing good sound to all.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Family Room System

The SO was complaining about the lack of SQ in the family room system. It had been gutted after the HT room was built last year and at first she didn’t want ANY audio equipment in there.;):cool:
I have always been a fan of Monitor Audio so I picked up these components for a song (relatively speaking) and it now sounds great. Tough large open space to fill and the speaker placement is less than ideal but for a secondary system it really sounds good. Listening to the new Seal CD right now:)

Components:
HK 445 AVR
Oppo DV970HD
Comcast HD-DVR
Speakers
Monitor Audio
Radius R270 L&R
Radius R90 surrounds
RSW-12 Sub
RSLCR Center
All speakers are the Rosemah finish and match the Entertainment Center pretty well.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
nice MA setup! (your comment on picking the radius towers over the matching bookshelf RS?)

i actually dreamt you bought two more spuds LOL.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
nice MA setup! (your comment on picking the radius towers over the matching bookshelf RS?)

i actually dreamt you bought two more spuds LOL.
I have always loved MA speakers;).

I wanted floor standers was looking for some RS6's or 8's in Rosemah to match the center when a deal came up on the R-270's and the sub. I had the R-90's already so I knew the sound of the little Radius speakers.

rmk

rmk

Audioholic Chief
Moving at my usual snails pace:p a great deal came along and I have a new projector coming tomorrow. It's a JVC HD100 (RS2) D-ila. The screen is next and any suggestions are welcome.:)

W

westcott

Audioholic General
Moving at my usual snails pace:p a great deal came along and I have a new projector coming tomorrow. It's a JVC HD100 (RS2) D-ila. The screen is next and any suggestions are welcome.:)
I found that the Carada fixed screens are the best bang for the buck. I do not recommend roll up screens unless absolutely necessary. They just do not perform as well or last as long as a fixed screen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis