Post your food recipes here! Official Audioholics Cookbook

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The first rule of mushroom picking is if you cannot identify it don't eat it. Plain and simple. I have actually thrown away a 4lb porcine (yes it ended up being a real one) because we weren't 100% sure.

Having a familiarity with the specific species that you are looking for is useful, books with quality pictures are a good source. Also, knowing the environment they grow in as well as the 'impostors' and their differences help. For example, with morell mushroom there is an impostor that looks exactly the same except for one small difference the inner portion is not hollow as is with the real thing.
If you find any of the magic mushrooms you can send them my way:eek::):p:D;).

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
What cooking shows do you enjoy. America's Test Kitchen was mentioned early which I enjoy alot. I like their methodical approach as well as the equipment and product testing. I like the fact they go for value when it comes to kitchen equipment recommendations. Other shows I like to watch is a show called cook like a chef, they have different chefs on every program showing you different techniques with all different types of cuisine. Cooks Tour with Anothony Bourdain. He goes travelling all over the world trying all extreme type foods. Anthony Bourdain Les Halles cookbook is amazing BTW. I forget the name of the show but the chef was Rob Fennie. Him and his sous chef made some killer, killer food on that cooking show!

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Here's a cheap stupid easy thing that your friends will love at picnics. (if they like spicy):)

Buy a jar of sliced dill pickles and add a teaspoon (or more:cool:) of crushed red pepper. Let sit over night.

I love doing this. I know it's not very "Foodie" but the simple things in life can be the most enjoyable. Now if I could just add crushed red pepper to the HT rig and get the same result...:D

SBF1

jwenthold99

jwenthold99

Full Audioholic
What cooking shows do you enjoy. America's Test Kitchen was mentioned early which I enjoy alot. I like their methodical approach as well as the equipment and product testing. I like the fact they go for value when it comes to kitchen equipment recommendations. Other shows I like to watch is a show called cook like a chef, they have different chefs on every program showing you different techniques with all different types of cuisine. Cooks Tour with Anothony Bourdain. He goes travelling all over the world trying all extreme type foods. Anthony Bourdain Les Halles cookbook is amazing BTW. I forget the name of the show but the chef was Rob Fennie. Him and his sous chef made some killer, killer food on that cooking show!
I enjoy americas test kitchen as well. I also like Alton Brown on food network. He gets into the science behind why food does what it does when you cook it. He has some good recipes, but I get more out or learning about his techniques.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I enjoy americas test kitchen as well. I also like Alton Brown on food network. He gets into the science behind why food does what it does when you cook it. He has some good recipes, but I get more out or learning about his techniques.
I have seen Good Eats with Alton Brown many of times. Good show!

itschris

itschris

In putting together the Word version of our cookbook, I noticed desserts weren't well represented. This is one of my favorites. This cheesecake is somewhat labor and ingredient intensive, but it's worth it for a special occasion.

Mocha Cheesecake

Crust
1 cup Graham Cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder - I always use Ghirardelli
Filling
4 ounces (in weight) of semi-sweet chocolate morsels - again, I always use Ghirardelli
4 cups cream cheese, softened - room temp
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder - Taster’s Choice works fine
2 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur - Kahlua - feel free to add a tablespoon of Baily’s
4 eggs - room temp

For the Crust:
Combine the crumbs, 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1 tablespoon cocoa with a fork. Press into bottom of a 9 inch springform pan. Wrap the pan bottom in aluminum foil. (You will need the wide style foil. Refrigerate while preparing the filling.

For the Filling:
Melt the chocolate in the microwave using a low/medium setting. Do it slowly, stopping frequently to stir and melt the chocolate slowly and evenly.

Combine the cream cheese and the sugar; mix with an electric mixer until well blended.

Dissolve the coffee powder in the coffee liqueur. Add it to the melted chocolate and blend. Combine this mixture with the cream cheese mixture and blend well.

Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until just blended after each egg.

Pour the filling into the crust, (do it slowly and don’t bounce the pan around) smoothing the top.

Secret: Evenly sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of sugar across the top before putting it in the oven. The sugar will caramelize and form a mild crust which helps prevent cracking.

Place the pan in a large roasting pan, pour boiling water into the baking pan until it comes 1/2 way up the sides of the spring form pan. That’s why the pan is wrapped tightly in foil.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Gently tap the pan. If more than a 2 -3 inch diameter center circle giggles, the cake is not quite done. Reduce the heat to 300 degrees and check frequently (about every 10-15 minutes) to see if it’s done. Once just the very center giggles a little, take it out of the water, it will continue to bake once removed. BE VERY CAREFUL., KATE!!!! THE WATER CAN SPILL EASILY AND BURN YOU!!!!)

Let the cake cool completely in the springform pan.

Top with whatever you like. Using a vegetable peeler along the side of a slightly softened chocolate bar will create long chocolate curls which makes for an appealing decorative topping that goes well with the cake.

To finish, refrigerate in the springform pan overnight.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Pecan Pie

Ingredients

1 9inch pastry pie shell (grocery store) or your homemade pie crust
4 large eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
2/3 cup golden corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange zest chopped finely
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped pecans toasted in oven
Pecans for decoration

Directions

Roll out pie crust to an 1/8 inch thickness on a flat lightly floured surface. Get a 9 inch pie pan with a removable bottom. Take the pie crust and press it to the bottom and side of the pie pan. Trim any excess pie crust and let chill in the fridge for 30 mins.

While the pie crust is chilling. Beat the eggs in a large bowl until lots of air has been incorporated into them and are nice and frothy. Add the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, vanilla, orange zest and salt. Stir ingredients together until incorporated.

Take a baking sheet and grab the pie crust from the fridge and place it on it. Take the chopped pecans and sprinke them over the pie crust. Pour the mixture in the bowl over pecans.

Take the pecan halves and arrange them over the pie.

Bake on bottom rack in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees. Bake for about 35 minutes more until the pie filling is set and crust is golden brown. Let pie cool, cut into pie wedges.

Last edited:
itschris

itschris

I did two briskets and 10 quarters of chicken for pulled chicken on Sat. Got up at 6 and smoked the briskets with a mix of pecan and cherry. Seven and a half hour smoke. I did the chicken with maple wood. Served with homemade red and yellow sauces.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/drsdr/brisket/

Major yum.
What's your trick for such a short time with the briskets? I'm usually smoking those bad boys for 12 hours minimum?

You gotta share that one

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
It's the Oklahoma (sometimes Texas) crutch. Three hours in the smoke @200-250, then 3+hours in foil @ 250-300. The foil keeps it moist and it doesn't oversmoke. This came from America's Test Kitchen where they actually finished it in the oven. The salt in the rub is key for tenderness. I tried using less salt and it wasn't falling apart tender. Otherwise, I agree you need 12-18 hours and I rarely have that kind of time. Sorry no final pictures but I had to transport them to a picnic. Only some shreds remain.

itschris

itschris

Are smokin' flats or whole? I've yet to get the result I'm looking for. Everyone seems to like it, but then again, they think Sonny's BBQ is real top shelf stuff so it doesn't mean much. I was thinking of firing up the smoker this weekend and trying my hand at a couple of flats. Sam's has got them pretty regularily now. We'll see what happens!

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
The bullet has about 16" diam surface. So I get 5lb flats with about 1/4 to 1/2 of fat cap. Smoke fat side up of course. The rub I gave near the beginning of the thread is great albeit a long list of ingredients.

Here's the bit from the test kitchen: I had to register so I pasted it here. Most will be obvious to you, I'm sure. Their rub is simpler.

Cooking a whole brisket, which weighs about 10 pounds, may seem like overkill. However, the process is easy, and the leftovers keep well in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. (Leave leftover brisket unsliced, and reheat the foil-wrapped meat in a 300-degree oven until warm.) Still, if you don’t want to bother with a big piece of meat or if your grill has fewer than 400 square inches of cooking space, barbecuing brisket for less than a crowd is easy to do. Simply ask your butcher for either the point or flat portion of the brisket, whichever cut you prefer. Then follow the master recipe, reducing the spice rub by half and grill-smoking for 1 1/2 hours. Wrap the meat tightly in foil and reduce its time in the oven to 2 hours. No matter how large or small a piece you cook, it’s a good idea to save the juices the meat gives off while in the oven to enrich the barbecue sauce. Hickory and mesquite are both traditional wood choices with brisket.

Serves 18 to 24
Spicy Chili Rub

4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon ground oregano
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Brisket

1 whole beef brisket (point and flat cut together), 9 to 11 pounds, fat trimmed to 1/4-inch thickness
3 cups barbecue sauce (store-bought if preferred)
2 wood chunks (3-inch)

See Illustrations Below: Key Steps to Barbecued Brisket

1. For Spicy Chili Rub: Mix all ingredients in small bowl.

2. Apply dry rub liberally to all sides of brisket; wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 and up to 48 hours.

3. For Brisket: About 1 hour prior to cooking, remove the brisket from the refrigerator, unwrap, and let it come up to room temperature. Soak the wood chunks in cold water to cover for 1 hour and drain.

4. Meanwhile, light a large chimney starter filled a bit less than halfway with charcoal briquettes (2 1/2 quarts, or about 45 briquettes) and allow to burn until the coals are fully ignited and partially covered with a thin layer of ash. Empty the coals into one side of the grill, piling them up in a mound 2 or 3 briquettes high. Keep the bottom vents completely open. Place the wood chunks on top of the charcoal. Put the cooking grate in place, open the grill lid vents completely, and cover, turning the lid so that the vents are opposite the wood chunks to draw smoke through the grill. Let the grate heat up for 5 minutes and then scrape the grate clean with a grill brush.

5. Position the brisket, fat side up, on the side of the grill opposite the fire. Barbecue, without removing the lid, for 2 hours. (The initial temperature will be about 350 degrees and will drop to 250 degrees after 2 hours.)

6.Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 300 degrees. Attach 2 pieces of heavy-duty foil, 4 feet long, by folding the long edges together 2 or 3 times, crimping tightly to seal well, to form an approximately 4 by 3 foot rectangle. Position the brisket lengthwise in the center of the foil. Bring the short edges over the brisket and fold down, crimping tightly to seal. Repeat with the long sides of the foil to seal the brisket completely. (See illustrations below.) Place the brisket on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the meat is fork-tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

7. Remove the brisket from the oven, loosen the foil at one end to release steam, and let rest for 30 minutes. If you like, drain the juices into a bowl (see illustration) and defat the juices in a gravy skimmer.

Unwrap the brisket and place it on a cutting board. Separate the meat into two sections and carve it on the bias across the grain into long, thin slices (see illustrations). Serve with plain barbecue sauce or with barbecue sauce that has been flavored with up to 1 cup of the defatted brisket juices.

Step-by-Step: Key Steps to Barbecued Brisket

1. Apply the dry rub generously to the brisket, pressing down to make sure the spices adhere. The meat should be completely obscured by the rub.
2. Wrap the grilled brisket in two 4-foot sections of heavy-duty foil that have been sealed together.

3. Seal foil sections together crosswise, then fold the sides of the foil packet tightly up against the sides of the meat.
4. When the brisket comes out of the oven, use potholders or oven mitts to lift the baking sheet and carefully pour the juices into the bowl. If you like, reserve the juices and defat. They make a delicious addition to barbecue sauce.

5. Since the grain on the two sections of the brisket goes in opposite directions, separate the two cuts before slicing.
6. Carve the brisket into thin slices, going against the grain on the diagonal.

itschris

itschris

Thanks Dan. That certainly cuts the time down considerably. I'll certainly give that a whirl. It's perfect for when you don't feel like staying up all night babysitting your smoker. I'm still trying to perfect the old school method. Oddly enough and wouldn't you figure, I'm a fat side down guy. Hmmmm.... I'm gonna smoke two flats one up one down. I understand the reasoning behind both methods, but I'm still perfecting the final product before I can definatively say which one works best for me. We'll see what happens this weekend if it decides to stop raining for a day.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Dan. That certainly cuts the time down considerably. I'll certainly give that a whirl. It's perfect for when you don't feel like staying up all night babysitting your smoker. I'm still trying to perfect the old school method. Oddly enough and wouldn't you figure, I'm a fat side down guy. Hmmmm.... I'm gonna smoke two flats one up one down. I understand the reasoning behind both methods, but I'm still perfecting the final product before I can definatively say which one works best for me. We'll see what happens this weekend if it decides to stop raining for a day.
I have also done the same method as Dan described, and it works well. The old 12 hour method also required frequent mopping to keep the meat from drying out. And every time you opened the smoker, you had to add more smoking time. So 12 hours could easily become as much as 18 if you mopped every half hour.

The aluminum foil method keeps the meat from drying out and you don't have to mop at all. This is true if you use a water pan as is standard in the Weber smoker. I only pay attention to the water level in the pan during the first 3 hours when the meat is unwrapped. Obviously, after it's wrapped, adding water to the pan and adding more wood chunks for smoke doesn't matter.

I've never tried fat-side down. Let us know how that comes out. It may work either way and turn out to be a matter of personal preference.

itschris

itschris

I've made a few briskets, and they've turned out okay... in my book. Granted, I'm picky, but I've been to pro competitions before and I know what it could taste like and that's what I'm gunning for. I'm looking for that moments where the skies part, the light beams shine through and you hear the angels sing. I haven't got their yet.

At the pro comps I've been to, just everyone of them smoke it fat side down. 1) They completely dispell the notion that with fat side up, the fat bastes the meat as it renders. They simply don't buy into that. 2) With fat side down, it acts as insulation to the major flow of heat which comes more from the bottom (to more or lesser degree depnding on your smoker) and prevents the meat from drying out.

That seems like good reasoning and the fact that these guys were winning fair amounts of money, was reason enough for me. But at the same time, fat side up or down is like arguing whether or not the PS3 is the best bd player. They'll always be room for discussion and my mind is always open.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I've made a few briskets, and they've turned out okay... in my book. Granted, I'm picky, but I've been to pro competitions before and I know what it could taste like and that's what I'm gunning for. I'm looking for that moments where the skies part, the light beams shine through and you hear the angels sing. I haven't got their yet.

At the pro comps I've been to, just everyone of them smoke it fat side down. 1) They completely dispell the notion that with fat side up, the fat bastes the meat as it renders. They simply don't buy into that. 2) With fat side down, it acts as insulation to the major flow of heat which comes more from the bottom (to more or lesser degree depnding on your smoker) and prevents the meat from drying out.

That seems like good reasoning and the fact that these guys were winning fair amounts of money, was reason enough for me. But at the same time, fat side up or down is like arguing whether or not the PS3 is the best bd player. They'll always be room for discussion and my mind is always open.
What I have learned from watching the BBQ and smoking competitions is that everyone has their own techniques. Some peel off the skin on the back of pork ribs while some do not. I have seen yellow mustard used as an edhesive to spread on the pork ribs first and then apply the dry rub over ther ribs then in the smoker. (This was the winning rib on that one show I watched). Some cut part of the fat cap off for a pork but while some leave the entire fat cap on and just put slits into the fat with a knife so it encourages rendering.

This is what I love about this type of cooking is that there are so many different techniques and variables involved and there are always new things to be learned.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
That's very interesting, and I certainly never knew that. Thanks.

Dan did post this brisket rub mix earlier but this is such a long thread that it was hard for me to find. I'll repeat it because I want to make a point about the salt.

Jim Goode's Beef Rub for Brisket
from Legends of Texas Barbecue by Robb Walsh, page 218

This should be enough dry rub for 2 flat briskets.

3 Tbl spoon Sea salt or kosher salt *
2½ Tbl spoon Dark brown sugar
2 Tbl spoon Paprika
2 tea spoon Dry Mustard
2 tea spoon Garlic powder
2 tea spoon Onion powder
1½ tea spoon Dried basil
1 tea spoon Ground bay leaf
¾ tea spoon Ground coriander
¾ tea spoon Ground savory
¾ tea spoon Dried thyme
¾ tea spoon Ground black pepper
¾ tea spoon Ground white pepper
⅛ tea spoon Ground cumin

* Note: The original recipe called for ¼ cup (4 Tbl spoon) of salt. It tasted too salty. Dan tried half as much salt (⅛ cup, 2 Tbl spoon) and the meat tasted alright but did not tenderize despite plenty of extra cooking time. He once tried a kosher brisket (brined) rubbed with 50% salt and that did get tender. It seems the salt in the rub or the brine soak helps to keep moisture inside the meat during cooking. When you combine that with the aluminum foil wrap method, the extra moisture in the meat may have been enough to properly tenderize (steam?) the meat during the final 3 hours of cooking. I finally tried 75% as much salt, 3 Tbl spoon, and it was just right.

itschris

itschris

That's very interesting, and I certainly never knew that. Thanks.

Dan did post this brisket rub mix earlier but this is such a long thread that it was hard for me to find. I'll repeat it because I want to make a point about the salt.
I posted a sister thread to this one that has a WORD attachment that has all the resecipes formatted nicely that have been posted here in this thread. I haven't got that last couple or so, but I'll update it soon.

itschris

itschris

One thing you need to be careful of is putting rubs on overight. It's fine as along as there's not too much salt in the rub which will actually draw out the moisture and can make your end result very dry. I learned that the hard way with baby backs. I was rubbing them and leaving the overnight and no matter what I did, they came out dry. Finally a bbq friend pointed it out and all was well.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
One thing you need to be careful of is putting rubs on overight. It's fine as along as there's not too much salt in the rub which will actually draw out the moisture and can make your end result very dry. I learned that the hard way with baby backs. I was rubbing them and leaving the overnight and no matter what I did, they came out dry. Finally a bbq friend pointed it out and all was well.
That's another good point. The amount of salt in the rub AND the amount of time can both be important. It's my guess that baby back ribs may be more sensitive to drying by salt than brisket.

For the record, when I did this brisket recipe, I put on the rub on Thursday night and refrigerated the meat until Saturday morning. That's roughly 36 hours. I never varied that by much, although I suspect that less time will still be fine.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis