Post your food recipes here! Official Audioholics Cookbook

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
I've made a few briskets, and they've turned out okay... in my book. Granted, I'm picky, but I've been to pro competitions before and I know what it could taste like and that's what I'm gunning for. I'm looking for that moments where the skies part, the light beams shine through and you hear the angels sing. I haven't got their yet.

At the pro comps I've been to, just everyone of them smoke it fat side down. 1) They completely dispell the notion that with fat side up, the fat bastes the meat as it renders. They simply don't buy into that. 2) With fat side down, it acts as insulation to the major flow of heat which comes more from the bottom (to more or lesser degree depnding on your smoker) and prevents the meat from drying out.

That seems like good reasoning and the fact that these guys were winning fair amounts of money, was reason enough for me. But at the same time, fat side up or down is like arguing whether or not the PS3 is the best bd player. They'll always be room for discussion and my mind is always open.
One of these days I gotta get to Memphis in May (the Super Bowl of Swine). I'm sure the best teams all make great cue, better than mine. However the skeptic in me says that to place really high you need a distinctive flavor in the few bites the judges taste that may not sit well for an entire plate. It is similar to the old Pepsi taste tests vs. Coke which led to the "New Coke" debacle of the 80s. Certainly I have tried competition winning steak sauce that was great for a few bites but I was sick of by the end of the steak.

Maybe next time I do two, I'll also do one fat up and one fat down. Happy smoking and give us a full report.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
My recipe for chilli (To me chilli is all about different types of beans and peppers:eek:, I know I know , the chilli aficionados are rolling over in their graves right now – “Real chilli has no beans”:p).

Ingredients (this makes a lot of chilli but I like to use the leftovers for chilli cheese dogs)
1 Pound Ground Beef
1 Pound Ground Pork
1 Onion
3 Cloves of Garlic
2 small cubanelle peppers
1 Small Green Pepper
1 Small Red Pepper
1 Small Jalapeño Pepper
1 Can Kidney Beans
1 Can Black Beans
1 Regular canned beans
3 Cans of Crushed Tomatoes
1 Small Can of Tomato Paste
2+ Tablespoons of Chilli powder (add more to your taste)
1 Teaspoon of Paprika
1 Teaspoon of Oregano
½ Teaspoon of Cumin
½ Teaspoon of Hot Sauce
1 Teaspoon of Siracaha Hot Sauce
2 Bay Leaves
½ Teaspoon Bakers Chocolate very finely grated (not the sweet)
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Directions:
Brown the ground beef and ground pork together. Take the meat out of the pot and drain the fat into a colander. Let the meat drain for 10 minutes. With the same pot you cooked the meat in, add the onions, garlic and all the peppers and cook over medium heat until tender but not brown. Add the meat back at this point to the vegetables. Now add all the spices and cook the spices and herbs into the meat and vegetables. Now add the tomato paste and mix thoroughly. Now add the cans of tomatoes and the different types of hot sauces. Cook the chilli over medium heat until it becomes somewhat thick but not too thick. At this point you can add all the beans, and the bakers chocolate, incorporate. Cook for 5-10 minutes more. Adding the tiny bit of chocolate at the end gives the chilli a nice finish as well as a nice deep colour.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I forgot to mention in the previous post that once served, I like to garnish the chili in the bowl with a dollop of sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and thinly sliced green onions.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis